WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Workers comp question.

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
My oldest daughter works for a national pet store chain. She fainted at work on the clock and ended up taking an ambulance to the ER (everything is fine and no she’s not preggo). Turns out she had donated blood to the red cross (good kid) and got her monthly friend early… causing her blood pressure to drop.
Most of friends and coworkers are telling her to file a workers comp claim. After what insurance will cover her tab is still over $1,500.00 … that’s not cheap for a 19 yo college student and part time worker. Mom and Dad will cover this but before I cut a check … would something fall under workers comp? :bash:

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
The $$$$ not coming out of the Rhino fund is it...:D

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
The $$$$ not coming out of the Rhino fund is it...:D

$6,000 to fix the fucking dog...$1,500 to fix the kid.... WTF... I need two jobs. :smackhead

<<< Has the super secret stash for the Rhino/Teryx fund. :champagne:

oldbuck40

Reaction score
My oldest daughter works for a national pet store chain. She fainted at work on the clock and ended up taking an ambulance to the ER (everything is fine and no she’s not preggo). Turns out she had donated blood to the red cross (good kid) and got her monthly friend early… causing her blood pressure to drop.
Most of friends and coworkers are telling her to file a workers comp claim. After what insurance will cover her tab is still over $1,500.00 … that’s not cheap for a 19 yo college student and part time worker. Mom and Dad will cover this but before I cut a check … would something fall under workers comp? :bash:

She was on the job. nothing else should matter! But if she bows down to them they will take advantage of her and not pay!

Scott E

Reaction score

I am NOT a business owner nor do I know workers comp laws and regulations so what I have to say is really uniformed, however, from a logical standpoint it does not sound like it is a work related issue, just happened to have happened at work...I would think from a worker comp standpoint there is a difference...

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
$6,000 to fix the fucking dog...$1,500 to fix the kid.... WTF... I need two jobs. :smackhead

<<< Has the super secret stash for the JEEP fund. :champagne:

:D:D:D

I can tell you how it works from the employer getting screwed standpoint.

She fainted at work...it's a claim no matter what. The Hospital may have already filed as I am sure the Comp account numbers have already been given to the hospital. They would not have released your daughter w/o looking for something to go on accounting wise.

I have a guy who broke his ankle 3 years ago and State Fund still has not settled it. We now have liens against us because State Fund wants to go to trial. What a mess. My Dunn and Bradstreet looks like swiss cheese. ;)

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
feint, not work related, no

if she banged her head on the way down,yes.
But no

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
It looks like its split down the middle... anyone know an expert to ask?

mrs. bordsmnj

StokerWhore's Ol' Lady
Reaction score
I handle all the work comp claims at my work. I can tell you, I would have filed a claim just to protect the company. I cannot say whether or not Work Comp would pay it though.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
It's simple.

Was the fainting caused by anything work related?

No?

Would the same condition happen whether she was on job the or not.

Yes?

Then no Worker's Comp claim.

Now if the bood drive was organized and held by or in the workplace, maybe. But a non-work related illness or condition that just happens to reveal symptoms while at work, no Comp.

HDriderTH

'82 Sanger Blown 454
Reaction score
So, she FELL at work. I walked onto a boat last summer at the marina I worked for and sprained my ankle. I was fully covered, not one dime out of pocket. They want to pay 1/3 of your earnings (regular pay). Fortunately, they went back a year on the earnings so I ended up getting twice my pay I was making at the marina. Then I went on unemp and it paid $7 less that I was making at the marina. Yes marinas dont pay shit but it was just for fun for the season.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I'll put it another way.

If a pregnant woman goes into labor on the job and is rushed to the hospital, is it Workman's Comp?

I think not.

BobbyB

Reaction score
She was on the job. nothing else should matter! But if she bows down to them they will take advantage of her and not pay!

x2

regardless of the circumstances, if she was on the clock, they pay. As a matter of fact, she shouldn't have even gotten a bill, but things happen. I'd drop that bill off to HR and have them handle it.

BobbyB

Reaction score
I'll put it another way.

If a pregnant woman goes into labor on the job and is rushed to the hospital, is it Workman's Comp?

I think not.

pre-existing condition

BobbyB

Reaction score
It's simple.

No?

Yes?

Now if the bood drive was organized and held by or in the workplace, maybe. But a non-work related illness or condition that just happens to reveal symptoms while at work, no Comp.

If I was at home, the ambulance wouldn't have been called. If you're at work, and they called the ambulance (which is their obligation when someone blacks out), then they should pay for the ride.

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
This is getting good.:headscratch:

I as a business owner agree with Boat Cop but as a father….

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
I collected comp for almost 5 years before, one case.

That makes me an expert witness....:D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
She'd probably working for minimum wage.
If her employer has any compassion at all they'll pick up the tab.

WTRR

Not On The Boat
Reaction score
My wife passed out at work last year. She had been sitting for 4 hours then suddenly got up to go get some water and took two steps and fell out. She never really blacked out, but her boss called an ambulance, even though she told them repeatedly that she was fine and didn't want to go to ER. Workplace insisted she go so she went for a ride to the ER just to be released 30 minutes later. The bill for the ride came to our house and was $1200 and change. She took it to work and handed it to her boss and said pay up, you ordered the ride. No workman's comp was filed and the company paid the bill for the ride to the ER.

500bbc

Reaction score
I'll put it another way.

I think not.

Who da baby daddy?

Boss?:D

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I'm sure there is already a claim in process.

work, could have been part of the prob, then again it could have nothing to do with it. a national corp will most likly pay the bill just so they don't have to worry about a lawsuit.

Havexico

In a world of no rules..
Reaction score
If an employee drinks alcohol or takes drugs or has epileptic seazures then falls and hits their head at work, is it a work comp injury.... No ...

Will someone try and make a claim??? Yes,

Will the work comp company cover it? No

No.. It will go to Utilization Review and get kicked out

I see cases like this all the time in my office. People try to get someone to pay for their stupidity all the time... Things like this are what increase my insurance coverage..

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
I see cases like this all the time in my office. People try to get someone to pay for their stupidity all the time... Things like this are what increase my insurance coverage..

Keep your knickers on…. All I ask is if she was on the clock…. Fainted …. Her supervisor called 911… does it fall under workers comp?
You want to toss out “stupid” again? :cool:

BobbyB

Reaction score
Keep your knickers on…. All I ask is if she was on the clock…. Fainted …. Her supervisor called 911… does it fall under workers comp?

:box:

mike37

100% American
Reaction score
work comp will not cover it if it was not job related

D

Deleted Account

I like the penguin..:D

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
It looks like its split down the middle... anyone know an expert to ask?

LOL. You do know where your posting? We know everything here.

Check and see what her work has done already. I don't know what it would hurt to file a claim on your end.

My sister gave blood at the red cross just south of Alicia / 5 fwy maybe 10 years back. She was down from Oregon on a visit and used my Mothers car to drive over there.

When she left Red Cross she blacked out heading north on Alicia and crossed the median, hit a car head on, and landed in the Denny's. The Hospital had to give her blood as her count was way down and she had no blood pressure. Red Cross denies screwing up but the doctor felt they took a good two pints out of a 115 lb 25 year old (at the time).

Who ever reads this...a warning and watch what they do when the needle starts to drain you down.

I like the penguin..:D

Stalker. ;)

John's good people.

margaritaville express

Reaction score
Yopengo....

Just reading some posts ..... plenty of entertainment and interesting items... so here is my first post at River Dave's (strangely not about boats/jeeps/bbq)..

Where did the "event/incident" happen? California/Arizona or someplace else.....Jurisdiction is an important element and the rules vary by state and in some cases by the job (feds, unions/collectives, peace officers, school districts)...

If California, I can give you some additional information on workers' compensation claims, the process, the forms ..... etc....

I work in a commercial insurance claims office and have handled CA comp issues over the past 20 years or so......so maybe I can help you out or at least point you in the right direction....

You can PM me with the details if you want further details.......

Ryphraph

Reaction score
$1200 for an ambulance ride sounds pretty steep if you are not getting life saving treatment. What does her health insurance cover?

Ryph

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
Yopengo....

Just reading some posts ..... plenty of entertainment and interesting items... so here is my first post at River Dave's (strangely not about boats/jeeps/bbq)..

Where did the "event/incident" happen? California/Arizona or someplace else.....Jurisdiction is an important element and the rules vary by state and in some cases by the job (feds, unions/collectives, peace officers, school districts)...

If California, I can give you some additional information on workers' compensation claims, the process, the forms ..... etc....

I work in a commercial insurance claims office and have handled CA comp issues over the past 20 years or so......so maybe I can help you out or at least point you in the right direction....

You can PM me with the details if you want further details.......

This happened in Orange County, California.

Welcome to RDP. :thumbsup

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
$1200 for an ambulance ride sounds pretty steep if you are not getting life saving treatment. What does her health insurance cover?

Ryph

The total was higher ( ER and Ambulance)

linus3

Reaction score
I would file a claim with Mother Nature. She the bitch that started this whole thing. Sending the whoo-hoo early. :D

ROZ

Reaction score
:D:D:D

I can tell you how it works from the employer getting screwed standpoint.

She fainted at work...it's a claim no matter what. The Hospital may have already filed as I am sure the Comp account numbers have already been given to the hospital. They would not have released your daughter w/o looking for something to go on accounting wise.

I have a guy who broke his ankle 3 years ago and State Fund still has not settled it. We now have liens against us because State Fund wants to go to trial. What a mess. My Dunn and Bradstreet looks like swiss cheese. ;)

NOt to mention that your comp probably doubled...

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
She'd probably working for minimum wage.
If her employer has any compassion at all they'll pick up the tab.

Her employer doesn't pick up the tab, the workman's comp insurance does. Then the rates go up for having a claim, their fault or not. Welcome to Kalifornia. Small company might pick up the tab to keep from filing a claim because it's cheaper in the long run, but not a large corp.

I don't think it's right to make the claim. It wasn't the employers fault or responsibility, yet their rates will go up and the consumer will end up paying the bill. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
It's simple.

No?

Yes?

Pretty much sums it up right there. If she can show a nexus to her work duties then maybe but if not then any claim filed will get denied.

QSnordic

Reaction score
Based on the locations associated w/your sign-on, I am going to comment on CA & AZ only. If a diff state is involved, please advise and I will revise my comments accordingly.
In CA: Carrier pays first $10k of any claim until they make a determination to actually deny the claim. Carrier will subpoena all med records for past 5yrs-7yrs to determine if it was AOE/COE (Arose out of Employ/Causation of Employ). If med records identify knowledge of personal illness then a strong carrier will deny claim and poss threaten w/pursuing EE for fraudulent claim filing.
In AZ: Carrier will delay claim up front while they subpoena medical records in an effort to determine AOE/COE. AZ will not pay for personal health issues and the bills will be redirected to EE for pymnt.
If the individual sustained any physical injuries from striking the floor or something else during the actual fall, then the physical injuries would more than likely be covered in both CA & AZ, if documented in the ER medical records as such.
Feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have.

Faceaz

Reaction score
No offense: IMO if she claims workers comp, she's taking advantage of the system. Enough of those & people start creating new laws, yelling for reform, etc. etc..