WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

World record giant black sea bass.....................

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
caught off Catalina in 1900, 384 lbs. on rod & reel . Hard to imagine there were LOTS of fish this big and bigger off our beaches back then. I've got another couple of pics with the old guy standing next to some monster fish back then, one of them at the hotel Del Coronado I think. No idea if this is still a record or not :hmm
black sea bass.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

obnoxious001

Engine building character
Reaction score
Isn't this the same guy with the gaff? Supposedly 428 lbs, June 31, 1905 Catalina Island.

daveyslocker03.jpg

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Isn't this the same guy with the gaff? Supposedly 428 lbs, June 31, 1905 Catalina Island.

daveyslocker03.jpg

Looks like the same guy to me :thumbsup.................also answer's the question as to the "old" world record :D

Roger 1

Reaction score
Looks like the sunfish is about to "spew" on "Wee Mans" shoes...

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Bob and Bill Meistrell each caught a black sea bass on the same day, each weighed over 500 lbs. each, and they did this with a spear gun. As I recall one was 515 lbs. another 505 and their buddy got one at about 498 or so, I will try to find a picture.

Bob and Bill are the owners of Dive 'n Surf in Redondo, they (Billy passed away July '06) also own "Body Glove", here is a short video of Bob talking about their life.

As I recall Bob started an organisation to save the Black Sea Bass.

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/video/meistrellstory/#11458 Meistrells_Big_Bugs.jpg 42.jpg Bob_Bill_Meistrell_lobsters.jpg 15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
I was with a guy near Catalina about 10 years ago that hooked a Black Sea Bass. The thing was big, not as big as those pics, but I'm guessing in the 300 lb range. The Captain recognized what it was, so we were very careful to bring the fish close to the boat, and then unhooked him without causing any noticeable damage. Black Sea Bass are protected now and a major no-no to catch.

Interesting was that Black Sea Bass did not fight very hard even though it was a monster. The guy reeling it in thought he had the bottom, but was bringing in a little line, so then he thought he had snagged kelp or something. He was doing his best to not break the line and no one was really paying attention until a deck hand yelled "Color! BIG FUCKING COLOR!" and everyone ran over to see what it was, including the guy reeling it in! LOL.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
With all this talk about big fish I thought I would bumb this one for you Denny. :D

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
caught off Catalina in 1900, 384 lbs. on rod & reel . Hard to imagine there were LOTS of fish this big and bigger off our beaches back then. I've got another couple of pics with the old guy standing next to some monster fish back then, one of them at the hotel Del Coronado I think. No idea if this is still a record or not :hmm

GOOD CALL , I had fish sticks and red wine for dinner tonight :D:D , how ya doing denny ?:boobeyes:

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Bob and Bill Meistrell each caught a black sea bass on the same day, each weighed over 500 lbs. each, and they did this with a spear gun. As I recall one was 515 lbs. another 505 and their buddy got one at about 498 or so, I will try to find a picture.

Bob and Bill are the owners of Dive 'n Surf in Redondo, they (Billy passed away July '06) also own "Body Glove", here is a short video of Bob talking about their life.

As I recall Bob started an organisation to save the Black Sea Bass.

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/video/meistrellstory/#11458
pretty sure these two brother's had a shop on Lakewood Blvd, between Rosecrans & Compton blvd , ? My Mom worked there one summer , she made the wet suits, custom tailored,

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
So what is it about today where all these old threads are popping up? Pretty cool, but it's kinda weird.

NicPaus

Reaction score
pretty sure these two brother's had a shop on Lakewood Blvd, between Rosecrans & Compton blvd , ? My Mom worked there one summer , she made the wet suits, custom tailored,
One of those 2 Son lives across the street and up a few houses from my Girlfriend in Redondo. The Dive N Surf store is not far. Was just talking with a friend looking at a apartment by the store 2 bed $3250.

Cdog

Reaction score
One of those 2 Son lives across the street and up a few houses from my Girlfriend in Redondo. The Dive N Surf store is not far. Was just talking with a friend looking at a apartment by the store 2 bed $3250.

I remember my dad taking me to the Redondo location when I was a kid. There & ET Surf shop.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I remember my dad taking me to the Redondo location when I was a kid. There & ET Surf shop.
Working in reducing now. Real estate here has gone crazy this year. House across the street original from 1950s. 1400 sq ft fixer. They listed for 1.5. Sold 1,910,000. On the flyer that comes around from local realtor. 5 that went over 200k over asking. One was 4M. Went for 4.75M. If these wires were not in view. View would be nicer from deck I am building.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
So what is it about today where all these old threads are popping up? Pretty cool, but it's kinda weird.
I had a hard drive, THEE hard drive that had ALL my photo's on it died, so, I've been going back and looking at ALL my old "POST'S" an saving a LOT of the photo's I thought were gone...........thanx Dave !!

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
The Giant Sea Bass, also known as the California Black Sea Bass, the rod and reel record is held by James D. McAdams Jr. 563 lbs 08 ounces. McAdams went by the name Don. He grew up in Paradise Cove, Malibu. I knew Don. He has passed. He worked and fished on many of the So Cal sportfishing boats. Since the California Black Sea Bass is now a protected species, this is likely one record that will never be broken. The fish was caught off Anacapa Island on August 20, 1968. Although Giant Sea Bass were often caught by chance, Don was geared up and fishing for GSB that day. Believe he told me he was using a Pacific Barracuda as bait. Don was an excellent fisherman for many species, including Marlin.

Last edited:

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I caught one at San Nicholas Island a few years ago on a SURFACE IRON of all things !!! I was fishing a Calstar 800M with a Daiwa Saltiga 20 spooled w/ 80# spectra. We were in very shallow water fishing for calicos . . . I had almost pulled the jig all the way back to the boat when this big shadow appears from the bottom, comes up behind my jig, flares it's mouth and I saw the jig fall to the back of it's mouth . . . happened in a split second, full ambush !
I yanked back immediately trying to get the jig back, but the hook stuck and the fish exploded ! . . it turned and it's tail cracked the surface making a loud SLAP ! I was fishing on my friends Boston Whaler 18 Outrage on the bow, and when the fish surged it pinned me and my rod to the bow rail. My buddy yelled, "You hooked a fucking seal" !!! , , , I groaned, "It's not a fucking seal"!!! . . . My drag was buttoned down and it still took a bunch of line like it was nothing. I pulled back as hard as I could because I didn't want to get spooled . . . the fish made a couple more runs, then I was able to get it to the boat after it wore out. We couldn't believe how big it was. We were gonna lift it out of the water for a quick pic (I know, that's illegal) . . . we both grabbed it by the lower lip that was as thick as a garden hose . . . . but there was no way the two of us could lift it . . . so I'm guessing it was over 200 Lbs. I've got a pic somewhere of me kinda laying over the gunnel leaning out to the fish as it laid on the surface. Pretty cool creature. It only took a few seconds to revive it, and it swam back down hard and fast. Since we were in shallow water, it's air bladder didn't pop out like they do sometimes. I still have the jig . . . it almost straightened one of the trebles !