WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Would this Alignment Help Cause Poor Steering?

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Before I start throwing parts at this new 2022 F53 22k chassis to try and cure the wander, lack of firm center feel, etc, what do these alignment specs tell you? To me it looks like the toe is the wrong way and the rear thrust my be contributing to wander. Caster looks ok.
I had the coach corner weighed and have adjusted the tire pressures accordingly.

FFCAB3E3-25A9-42B6-977E-A4B71832C26E.jpeg

LazyLavey

Reaction score
These guys may be able to help regarding your alignment...

Yes they have and will offer to sell you all the ride mods you could ever need.

I stopped in a few years back (I had the same issues, wandering, etc) and had them do a test drive eval.

They gave their suggestions for improvement mods but no high

pressure sales...

I eventually added rear trac bar, shocks (Koni), Super Steer, Sumo Springs and Hankook tires... all made a major positive handling difference

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Typically, alignment issues will cause a pull and tires/suspension will cause a wander, methinks.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
That spec sheet shows 0* total toe. It's gonna wander all over for sure like that. You have to have Some toe in.

It also shows way more caster on the left side than the right. I'm gonna guess it pulls to the right?

The rear looks a bit funky...

Like the diff is in crooked? When someone follows you from behind, is it dog tracking (looks like its going down the road sideways)? Ideally, everything should be zero's in the rear.

Disclaimer: On a heavy duty chassis like this, is it even possible to make it track straight?? I've done hundreds of alignments. But mainly for BMW & Lexus. EVERY spec is adjustable on these cars, front and rear. On a HD chassis, I'm gonna guess the ONLY thing you can adjust is the front toe??

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Straight axle, with 2 tie rod ends, 1/16" per side. 1/8" total toe in.
Calibration on that alignment rack may be suspect. A Stanley tape is probably more accurate.

Dan'l

fast99

Reaction score
To me it doesn't look like that alignment would be an issue. Rear diff isn't straight but even on new vehicles there is a tolerance, most are not perfect. Anyway, it likely isn't adjustable. Try measuring at a different shop just to verify. Also, look for any TSB's. [not recalls] on Mitchell or the manufacturer. Have seen steering angle sensors or calibration really mess things up [if equiped] .

If possible try a different set of tires. Some vehicles are very sensitive to tire construction and material. Make sure the air pressure is correct on all tires.

Ty N

Reaction score
To me it doesn't look like that alignment would be an issue. Rear diff isn't straight but even on new vehicles there is a tolerance, most are not perfect. Anyway, it likely isn't adjustable. Try measuring at a different shop just to verify. Also, look for any TSB's. [not recalls] on Mitchell or the manufacturer. Have seen steering angle sensors or calibration really mess things up [if equiped] .

If possible try a different set of tires. Some vehicles are very sensitive to tire construction and material. Make sure the air pressure is correct on all tires.
A lot of rears have spacers for thrust angle and to help align the rear diff.

fast99

Reaction score
Thats why I said likely. Haven't seen a 22 yet. Possible crooked steering wheel, yes. Really doubt that would cause wandering.

Last edited:

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Thanks all, and yes when I first drove this thing the steering wheel was offset right about 25 degrees! Had it fixed under warranty. Not sure what they did cause the only adjustment is a single point toe adj. other than repositioning the shafts.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I just put new rear tires on my Seneca super c and it seems to wander/ oversteer a little that it didn't before. I may have to change tires to something different.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Straight axle, with 2 tie rod ends, 1/16" per side. 1/8" total toe in.
Calibration on that alignment rack may be suspect. A Stanley tape is probably more accurate.

Dan'l

What he said. ^^^

Get some toe in that thing and your wandering problem will be fixed.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Thanks all, and yes when I first drove this thing the steering wheel was offset right about 25 degrees! Had it fixed under warranty. Not sure what they did cause the only adjustment is a single point toe adj. other than repositioning the shafts.
My 08 has the offset steering wheel.. Tried to fix it years ago but the knuckle at the box was square and when adjusted it was crooked to the other side.. Maybe it can be fixed at the steering column?

Frankly I don't think 'Ive seen an F53 that had a straight wheel

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My 08 has the offset steering wheel.. Tried to fix it years ago but the knuckle at the box was square and when adjusted it was crooked to the other side.. Maybe it can be fixed at the steering column?

Frankly I don't think 'Ive seen an F53 that had a straight wheel

You center the steering wheel at the tie rod ends.

Mark them first!!!

Loosen them up, and turn the sleeves in the same direction on each side, and test drive. Start with just a quarter turn at first.

Did the steering wheel move towards center? Great, keep moving the sleeves a quarter turn at a time till it's centered.

Did it move away from center? Go back to your mark and go a quarter turn in the other direction.

Repeat as necessary.

Liquidkroozir

Reaction score
Needs some toe in, not out. on a straight axle I would mark a line around each tire when measuring so it would be at same place. Had a new Camaro with a serious pull, all within specs, actually had to reset steering wheel postion several times to correct. That was a pull not a wander.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
You center the steering wheel at the tie rod ends.

Mark them first!!!

Loosen them up, and turn the sleeves in the same direction on each side, and test drive. Start with just a quarter turn at first.

Did the steering wheel move towards center? Great, keep moving the sleeves a quarter turn at a time till it's centered.

Did it move away from center? Go back to your mark and go a quarter turn in the other direction.

Repeat as necessary.
I assume you could rmess up your alignment if it's not done exactly equal?

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
I need to take a look to confirm this, but I’ve been told the new (2021 ^) F53 has a single point tie rod adjustment point.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I need to take a look to confirm this, but I’ve been told the new (2021 ^) F53 has a single point tie rod adjustment point.

This is entirely possible and would create a whole different adjustment scenario.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
We’ll, I crawled under the beast today expecting to see some marvelous new steering linkage since there was said it is now a single adjustment point.
Wow, was I disappointed. Other than the massive parts, the tie rod is unremarkable. The drivers side joint screws into the tie bar as usual and appears to have a suitable range of adjustment. The pass side joint screws into a threaded sleeve that in turn threads into the tie bar 🤓
so it seems to me, based on a few things I’ve worked on in the past that this steering is VERY adjustable.
now to go talk to the f’in alignment guy who left the tires toed out😡

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I just put new rear tires on my Seneca super c and it seems to wander/ oversteer a little that it didn't before. I may have to change tires to something different.
you have tire walk and it will go away,... just make sure you don't start sawing at the wheel...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
thats why you just move the steering over one tooth to straighten the wheel

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
most wandering is either not toed in 1/8th, or driver error.... sawing at the wheel.. over correcting

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
most rv's that people can't drive straight.... will go straight if they let go of the steering wheel...

4Waters

Reaction score
Check tire pressure, my mom had tires put on her motorhome and the wander and rut tracking were horrendous, I checked the tire pressure and they inflated the tires to what the sidewall said (110psi I think) so I checked what ford said on the sticker inside and they wanted the tires at 85 or 90psi? so I dropped the pressure to what ford wanted and the problem was gone.

81eliminator

Reaction score
Check tire pressure, my mom had tires put on her motorhome and the wander and rut tracking were horrendous, I checked the tire pressure and they inflated the tires to what the sidewall said (110psi I think) so I checked what ford said on the sticker inside and they wanted the tires at 85 or 90psi? so I dropped the pressure to what ford wanted and the problem was gone.
this was / is the case on my motorhomes. alignment guy put some of the tires to 110 and the motor home was all over the road. Dropped to 85 and it drove great.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Thanks all, not an issue with sawing the wheel and the MH has been corner weighted and pressures adjusted.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I just went through this with my new pusher... all over the road.....side winds were near un drivable... took it to freight liner... front toed out,... one air bag not pumping up and ride height was way off... drives with ease now..

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Without wind >15, it does drive well...I still want to put a roadster steering stabilizer on it, but they are out of stock all over...