WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Would you buy it?

zhandfull

Reaction score
Came across this Honda yesterday for sale on the roadside. Daughter needs a car and the price was right.
901D6D42-30A0-4739-A846-E8D1D2A19DFA.jpeg
9D71D502-E94B-45BE-BF23-36862408D1C6.jpeg

zhandfull

Reaction score
Couldn’t believe it had 353k miles on it. Lol…

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Maybe, but not for that price. I’d at least check it out. Who knows...it might come with a 3” thick file of service records.

I recently bought a S10 pickup with 225K on it and while it did need some love, it had a fresh engine and trans with less than 1000 miles on ‘em. After some front end work and a bunch of little shit, it drives as good as it did when it was new, and shouldn’t be any less reliable.

Maintained correctly, it’s got a lot more miles in it...look for interior wear...that’s the stuff that determines how it was treated. I worked for a Toyota dealer years ago that had an excellent customer base whose trust we’d earned...many cars with over 500K miles came through our shop on a regular basis. Most of these customers followed all our recommended services/repairs, and there was really no reason the cars wouldn’t go another 500K if they continued to do that.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Nope. You would be buying a headache. 350K plus means pretty much everything on the car will need touching.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Maybe, but not for that price. I’d at least check it out. Who knows...it might come with a 3” thick file of service records.

I recently bought a S10 pickup with 225K on it and while it did need some love, it had a fresh engine and trans with less than 1000 miles on ‘em. After some front end work and a bunch of little shit, it drives as good as it did when it was new, and shouldn’t be any less reliable.

Maintained correctly, it’s got a lot more miles in it...look for interior wear...that’s the stuff that determines how it was treated. I worked for a Toyota dealer years ago that had an excellent customer base whose trust we’d earned...many cars with over 500K miles came through our shop on a regular basis. Most of these customers followed all our recommended services/repairs, and there was really no reason the cars wouldn’t go another 500K if they continued to do that.
Was kind of thinking myself it must have good maintenance to make it to this point.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Sold my 2001 F250 with 7.3 at 280,000 miles. Never any issue since new but it was getting up there in miles.

Water Romper

Reaction score
Lots of knowledgeable car buffs here on RDP-I would listen to what they say. I think the key take away her is what the poster wrote: "A car for my daughter" ... Hondas, Toyotas do get some high miles out of their vehicles BUT north of 350k ?? I wouldn't put my daughter in it.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I've had 04,05,12 and still have 18.
Mileage wouldn't scare me off, but it's too expensive unless you know for sure it's current on 1) valve adjustment 2) timing belt and 3) front wheel bearings.
All 3 are pretty cheap if you can diy, but EXPENSIVE if you're paying someone to do them.
They are extremely safe, but they use a ton of fuel around town.

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I just sold my 2005 Honda Civic commuter car with 264k and I got 3500 for it. The car still ran flawless and had no issues. The only reason I got rid of it was I wanted to upgrade to heated and cooled seats and an updated electronics (stereo) package. If your going to buy something with that many miles make sure parts have been changed out thru the years. I did axles, control arms, coil springs, and a bunch of maintenance to the motor. Honda's last forever if you treat them right.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
Hell no I wouldn’t buy. 350,000 miles? I don’t have kids, but I would be worried about the car leaving my little girl stranded somewhere.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Nope. You would be buying a headache. 350K plus means pretty much everything on the car will need touching.
...or pretty much everything has been touched already. They don’t go that far on piss poor service history.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I would guess you overpaid by quite a bit unless it was flawless inside and out and has a new drivetrain, suspension etc....

Be very careful with Honda's and Toyota's without coolant level warning systems...it's been the death of many vehicles since no one opens the hood to check fluids anymore.

By the time it's overheating it's done.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
At $5200 obo I’d make an offer. Then again I’ve owned 18 different Honda/Acura’s :p (still have #18)

Shares a chassis with the Odyssey mini van, and in typical Honda design, a lot of components carry over which helps keep replacement parts relatively cheap. I believe the Acura MDX or RDX was built on the same chassis too. It’s a solid ride.

The J-series V6 is no slouch either and I’m pretty sure the kids are now swapping them into civics/integras like we used to do with the B-Series engines. Not sure how that’s effecting drivetrain repair costs but imagine it’s negligible. Single timing chain with SOHC so keep up on the annual maintenance and it’ll run forever.

Nice find. Also buy extra 10mm sockets since it’s an import 😆

zhandfull

Reaction score
I think with 350k miles it’s going to be a hard sell. If the AC works and it passes smog I was thinking offer up to $3,500. Didn’t look at it to close because I was on the clock at work but it seemed pretty clean with good tires.

It would be for my adult daughter and she would have to buy/pay for it. When I sent the pics she was “I like it” then the next text was WTF it has 350k miles? Lol..

I was surprised you could get that many miles out of a Honda. Personally, when my cars start getting in the mid to high 100k miles I start looking to replace.

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay more than $1,500 and that's assuming someone else is giving me the money. Hard pass on that thing

77charger

Reaction score

Agree maintained some will go a long ways. I have 227k on my 2500hd. Been pretty solid replaced a few things. Wheel bearings,radiator,fan clutch and 2 o2 sensors. I had trans rebuilt at 170k since I knew they could go out based on previous work trucks and my truck usually left house it’s on a road trip.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
After reviewing the picture again....I'd probably buy it. Anyone that spends the money on Michelins for a car with 350K miles on it has likely maintained it with an open checkbook.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Anyone else here thinking 350K miles doesn't seem to bad? I agree with the Michelin comment. That picture looks like Nuevo. It was probably a commuter back and forth to LA.

XX14

Reaction score
My daughter drives a 2007 Honda Pilot. We’ve had it for 5 years. Lots of little stuff has gone wrong. Freakin windows drop and have to have actuator replaced. Ac condenser and headliner is coming down. I wouldn’t do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Seller doesn't seem to bashful about the mileage on it and even has a BlueBook(or equiv) valuation sheet on dash too.
Spend $100 to get it checked out by a tech, compression test. A well maintained car will still have many miles left in it.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Seems like there would be many other vehicles with 1/2 the mileage (or a 1/3rd of the mileage......) available for $6k.
Hard pass

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I tried selling her on your mother in laws car early on. Guess it reminder her of a car an ex boyfriend drove or something. It was a no go.
For half the price and half the miles. It must be a hell of a reminder.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I guess I don’t get the whole bottom feeding thing. 350k, that shit is warn out. And no way I would put my daughter in it. Many many better cars out there for little money. But to each their own.

zhandfull

Reaction score
My daughter has about 10k to spend. It is surprisingly hard to find a decent vehicle under that amount. I set some guidelines for her.

No turbo cars.
No hybrid cars.
Age around ten years old +/- a few years ok.
Mileage around 100k.
Review reliability record online of prospective vehicle before purchase.

Really hard to find one or two owner vehicles now days for sale by owner.
My theory is most people would rather not deal with private party sales and/or they are upside down on the vehicle and have no choice but to trade it in when wanting something new.

Any other tips or tricks shopping for used?

Come to think of it my last three used vehicle purchases were from big dealer lots.

rrrr

Reaction score
I like the replies. Listening to someone else's anecdotal experience about a totally different vehicle is a rock solid way to buy a car.

"I spent a couple grand and lots of time fixing up a car with that many miles and it runs great. If you do the same thing, you'll get the same outcome."

"I sold my 3/4 ton pickup with 497,000 miles on it. That Honda will go at least that far."

"Pictures look good. That indicates a well cared for vehicle."

"Cars with that many miles on them show up at dealer service facilities all the time. Buy it, it'll run for another twelve years."

"I used to be a mechanic before I retired. I had a car just like that. After I replaced the engine, rack and pinion, and the interior tie rods, it ran great. That's a perfect car for your daughter."

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I'll sell you a 2014 with 42,000 miles for the same price.

EDIT: I forgot to mention it's a Smart car.

zhandfull

Reaction score
I'll sell you a 2014 with 42,000 miles for the same price.

EDIT: I forgot to mention it's a Smart car.
Send pictures and info. I will drive for the right car.

nowski

Reaction score
If that's 352k miles on original engine and trans that's good to know. Look for one with half the miles or less in the same price range and you'll be miles ahead...

rrrr

Reaction score
My daughter has about 10k to spend. It is surprisingly hard to find a decent vehicle under that amount. I set some guidelines for her.

No turbo cars.
No hybrid cars.
Age around ten years old +/- a few years ok.
Mileage around 100k.
Review reliability record online of prospective vehicle before purchase.

Really hard to find one or two owner vehicles now days for sale by owner.
My theory is most people would rather not deal with private party sales and/or they are upside down on the vehicle and have no choice but to trade it in when wanting something new.

Any other tips or tricks shopping for used?

Come to think of it my last three used vehicle purchases were from big dealer lots.

Your criteria is unworkable. That car doesn't exist.

Did you know used car prices are up 25% from a year ago? I suggest you peruse KBB to get an idea of market prices.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Your criteria is unworkable. That car doesn't exist.

Did you know used car prices are up 25% from a year ago? I suggest you peruse KBB to get an idea of market prices.
For the most part I agree. Going to have to give on price, mileage, age or find a great deal. 😁

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I guess I don’t get the whole bottom feeding thing. 350k, that shit is warn out. And no way I would put my daughter in it. Many many better cars out there for little money. But to each their own.

Maybe...would you rather have a car that a dealer got from auction (where most dealers get their used cars) with 40K miles on it that never had the oil changed or hood opened until it was traded in or have an expertly maintained 300K+ mile car from the original owner who provides service records? I would pick the 2nd one.

In almost every case, repairs will be less than a payment, regardless of age or mileage.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Maybe...would you rather have a car that a dealer got from auction (where most dealers get their used cars) with 40K miles on it that never had the oil changed or hood opened until it was traded in or have an expertly maintained 300K+ mile car from the original owner who provides service records? I would pick the 2nd one.

In almost every case, repairs will be less than a payment, regardless of age or mileage.

wow man. you seem to REALLY love this car. No. I’d actually buy a used car with 40k and “Expertly maintained”. You somehow are under the impression that only a 350,000 mile honda can possibly be expertly maintained. Lol. In no way would I ever be shopping for a 350,000 mile beater . There is absolutely nothing special or significant about that car. So why on earth would someone want someone else’s old hand me down shit. Way to many cars out there with a shit ton less miles, and great service records.

NicPaus

Reaction score
My Sister has the same ride. I got it from original owner. Currently shopping for a newer SUV for her. They are great cars that seat 8. If I find something hers will be available. I think it has around 150k miles on it. Only issue is the AC making it a no go for River trips.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I wouldnt at that mileage. Reason being, its a fairly heavy vehicle for that chassis. Its fine for most all typical life spans for those, but when mileage starts getting up that high that much higher weight over those miles add up. I know Honda had some significant problems with Transmissions in their Odyssey and some CR-V's as the trans is essentially the same one used in the Accord but is now constantly hauling about a boat load more weight. Im not too sure which age range was effected by those issues, but my memory is telling me this is right in that range.