WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

WOW, a inexpensive 4 bedroom just popped up in Havasu!

Andy01

Reaction score
There are not many 4 bedrooms here in Havasu, and hardly any that show up in the low 3's. This house is a deal, I bet it sells quick! Throw a $30,000 pool out back and your in well under $400,000. Looks like there is room to push the garage out as well, just follow that room next to it's roof line.
https://p.flexmls.com/AndyHolthe/portal/email-link/20180418135656140090000000/listings

If interested you can call me direct at 310-480-4285.

Last edited:

82daytona

Reaction score
It’ll be gone quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
There are not many 4 bedrooms here in Havasu, and hardly any that show up in the low 3's. This house is a deal, I bet it sells quick! Throw a $30,000 pool out back and your in well under $400,000. Looks like there is room to push the garage out as well, just follow that room next to it's roof line.
https://p.flexmls.com/AndyHolthe/portal/email-link/20180418135656140090000000/listings

If interested you can call me direct at 310-480-4285.

4 bed at 1600 square feet are some tiny rooms.

Since our talk we’ve been looking (hoping I get my transfer in October) and finding the same issue. We want a 4+ casita or a 5 bed and they flat out almost don’t exist. There’s some beauty’s for 500-750 though, which defeats the purpose of moving if I have to pay more for a house there than I’m paying here. [emoji23] Hell even the builders seem to stop at a 4 bedroom. Getting a tad frustrated with the whole thing.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
What is the story with houses typically being only 3 bed in Havasu anyway?

Andy01

Reaction score

Since our talk we’ve been looking (hoping I get my transfer in October) and finding the same issue. We want a 4+ casita or a 5 bed and they flat out almost don’t exist. There’s some beauty’s for 500-750 though, which defeats the purpose of moving if I have to pay more for a house there than I’m paying here. [emoji23] Hell even the builders seem to stop at a 4 bedroom. Getting a tad frustrated with the whole thing.
I know your frustration. I'm not doing my new build for that very reason. The pricing is on the move, and in the wrong direction for us buyers :). Things are selling so fast here it's crazy. There's a huge demand for rentals as well from weekenders. So some people that are not moving here, buy and rent to help cover the cost of ownership. I hear you on finding the right 3-4 bedroom. The best thing for you as we talked about is to build. Call me when you have time and I will set up a on going e mail for you to receive market updates and homes listed. We can also watch for a lot that you could build on.

Andy01

Reaction score
I'm sure there are a multitude of answers for this, but the short answer would be cost of sqft to build. Most people have one or two kids, and some like to bring a guest. So many times before these homes were only vacation homes, now that is not always the case. More and more people are relocating here, now your starting to see some of the bigger builds with casita's or separate living areas for guest that come to visit. The snow bird renters are also normally after a 3 bedroom or smaller. That said, I'd say in the coming years you will see more and more larger homes built to meet the needs of the families moving here versus just a vacation house.

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
The first house I got here in Havasu was a 4 bedroom with big big big ass pool, shit my family room was 28' X 27' plus 12' X 12' den. that house was at the top of Northstar Dr.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Hence "typically". :)

Post after post, thread after thread, looking for bigger than a three bedroom.

Brian

The first house I got here in Havasu was a 4 bedroom with big big big ass pool, shit my family room was 28' X 27' plus 12' X 12' den. that house was at the top of Northstar Dr.

69hondo

Reaction score

Exact same problem I am having. Need the 4+ bedroom but either don't exist or outrageous price tag.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Exact same problem I am having. Need the 4+ bedroom but either don't exist or outrageous price tag.

I’ve got quite a bit of equity in my home in CA, but buying in Havasu at more than I paid in CA, even with a big down payment, completely defeats the whole idea of relocating in the first place. [emoji851]

69hondo

Reaction score
I’ve got quite a bit of equity in my home in CA, but buying in Havasu at more than I paid in CA, even with a big down payment, completely defeats the whole idea of relocating in the first place. [emoji851]

Completely agree. So frustrating.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score

We ended up building our own 3Br+Den 2Ba +Casita and RV garage cause we couldn't find one in our budget...then we blew the budget building it with upgrades anyway lol.
In hindsight we probably could have found something for what we spent but we wouldn't have our location so we are happy with our decision.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
We ended up building our own 3Br+Den 2Ba +Casita and RV garage cause we couldn't find one in our budget...then we blew the budget building it with upgrades anyway lol.
In hindsight we probably could have found something for what we spent but we wouldn't have our location so we are happy with our decision.

I think this is the route we’re going to go. I know dick about the area but we’re going to drive it a bunch and start trying to find a lot. Anywhere from 220k in the estates down to 30k on a busy street it seems.

Andy01

Reaction score
I think this is the route we’re going to go. I know dick about the area but we’re going to drive it a bunch and start trying to find a lot. Anywhere from 220k in the estates down to 30k on a busy street it seems.
Let me know when you guys are going to be in town, I'll take you from the south to north side, and every turn in between! Maybe show you a couple of spec houses. Could even meet with a builder if you like.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score

You can find a lot in the Foothills for as little as $135k but the house is going to really cost you...

I would try to find a lot near some nice homes on a quiet street if possible.
The average lot in Havasu is 80x125 and one that doesn't require a ton of grading is going to be about $90k these days...at least what I've been seeing.

When you decide to select a builder, pay close attention to the builder allowances they are giving you, cause you will spend a bunch upgrading from standard.
Make sure you put in some sort of penalty clause for going beyond say 9 months on the builder schedule...cause I sure wish I did.
I would also look for a 1X close construction loan so you save the hassle of a refinance when your complete.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
You can find a lot in the Foothills for as little as $135k but the house is going to really cost you...

The average lot in Havasu is 80x125 and one that doesn't require a ton of grading is going to be about $90k these days...at least what I've been seeing.

When you decide to select a builder, pay close attention to the builder allowances they are giving you, cause you will spend a bunch upgrading from standard.
Make sure you put in some sort of penalty clause for going beyond say 9 months on the builder schedule...cause I sure wish I did.
I would also look for a 1X close construction loan so you save the hassle of a refinance when your complete.

Thanks!

I’ve been told to watch the allowances, and I’ve seen differences between builders on their websites already...something like granite counters for instance can be as high as 15 grand difference from one to another.

We’ve lived in a few new houses, but all tracts / spec houses. Never picked one out of a book and said ‘build me this’. When they say ‘$XXX amount on your lot’ can you negotiate / offer like a car deal? I’ve seen some 3 bedroom houses priced on these websites as high as 730k ‘on your lot’. [emoji15]

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
You can always try to negotiate, it never hurts!
If that doesn't work, then try to get them to sweeten the deal with better attic insulation and a more efficient HVAC system.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Our granite allowance was $7000. We spent about $11,350 on our granite countertops.
We wanted to get Cambria Quartz but it came in too steep for our budget.
We were lucky to find 82daytona here and Erik saved us a whole bunch. Definitely PM Erik for granite.

Cabinets will be your biggest expenditure. I would recommend Completion Plus cabinets.
Dave Plapp does custom work for big box store prices.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Our granite allowance was $7000. We spent about $11,350 on our granite countertops.
We wanted to get Cambria Quartz but it came in too steep for our budget.
We were lucky to find 82daytona here and Erik saved us a whole bunch. Definitely PM Erik for granite.

Cabinets will be your biggest expenditure. I would recommend Completion Plus cabinets.
Dave Plapp does custom work for big box store prices.

Thanks for the suggestions. Did you just pay cash outside your build / after construction?

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Did you just pay cash outside your build / after construction?

Well we tried to pay for as much as we could directly to the subs. Otherwise our builder charged 20% to run it through their books.

We asked the lighting, flooring, countertops, and cabinet subs to invoice the builder only for the allowances and we paid the subs for the difference.

For all other upgrades we paid the builder their 20%...

TCHB

Reaction score
Havasu population is very old compared to anywhere in AZ as a city. Since you have a older population you do not need 4 bedrooms. Yep all the kids are gone! I think Phoenix area average age is late 30s and

When you add the block walls, pool, hardscape, patios the price really jumps up.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
This seems a little shitty actually.
Yep. You already are paying the mark up from the sub contractor, now you pay the mark up to the GC. 15% is normal for a commercial sub, if they are checking. :D

boatnam2

Reaction score
Let me know when you guys are going to be in town, I'll take you from the south to north side, and every turn in between! Maybe show you a couple of spec houses. Could even meet with a builder if you like.
Do we get free beer?

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
This seems a little shitty actually.
Yep. You already are paying the mark up from the sub contractor, now you pay the mark up to the GC. 15% is normal for a commercial sub, if they are checking. :D

Yep Bobby is correct on the 15% and the 5% is supposed to cover taxes I think?
We spent 30k through DBU on upgrades so that was 6k worth of mark-up on our build.

I did also manage to pay the electrician for the 400amp panel with cash without any builder markup.
I didn't get any cameras, alarms, or a/c units in the garage, just paid for the pre-wire so I can add those items later with no markup.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
Any input on the refuge?

Edit: either too small or 750k for a lot. [emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited:

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
When we built our house in LHC..... some of the above reasons is exactly why we built 4 bedroom, 3 bath 1702 Sq Ft. 1354 sq ft of garage :) RV and 2 car all attached.

Thought I would have more guests coming - many times it's just my wife and I ...... BUT 2 new grand-kids is slowly changing that.

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
When we built our house in LHC..... some of the above reasons is exactly why we built 4 bedroom, 3 bath 1702 Sq Ft. 1354 sq ft of garage [emoji4] RV and 2 car all attached.

Thought I would have more guests coming - many times it's just my wife and I ...... BUT 2 new grand-kids is slowly changing that.

No one comes and visits now, why do I need a guest bedroom in Havasu? [emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited: