WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

WTB complete outboard-Mercury 200 or 225 2 stroke

Warlock1

Reaction score
What year and how do you like it?
I believe it is a late 95. Don't know I bought an old Cheetah and it was on it. I'm replacing the floors right now and I'll be rebuilding the boat to my standards. The engine appears stock right now but I'll be removing the oil injection and I read some other control boxes can be removed as well.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
I believe it is a late 95. Don't know I bought an old Cheetah and it was on it. I'm replacing the floors right now and I'll be rebuilding the boat to my standards. The engine appears stock right now but I'll be removing the oil injection and I read some other control boxes can be removed as well.
The oil injection cap or gasket is what screwed up my engine. Good thought on your part.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
New to me old engine on:

ABAA91D8-4820-4D78-8BA2-1E1E744F236C.jpeg

Chose to go with what my boat knows best, the black max. Wish me luck…

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
The oil injection cap or gasket is what screwed up my engine. Good thought on your part.
The oil cap (plastic) being the cheapest part to fuck up a whole engine is still baffling to me. I replaced upwards of 4-6 caps. And not one single issue for the rest of the motor.
My engine went when the oil reservoir tank line came loose and the warning beeper didn’t work. Poof. Explode. 🙄😱

HST4ME

Reaction score
They are black max from 1976. Looks like a nice clean motor, ditch the oil injection and rebuild the pulse pump immediately, and a new impeller every year.

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
Picking the boat up tomorrow morning… 😁

And then putting it away in the Parker storage after a day of testing it.

I’ll post again to let those interested know how it all goes. Wish me luck…

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
Man I don't know how I missed the updates on your thread!! The motor looks good! I sure hope everything goes smoothly for you!! Can you let us know what shop you worked with for the install? PM if necessary. 👍

Hallett_Whacker

Reaction score
A few words on how it played out and a shout-out to the place of business that took care of things…

I dealt with a younger guy named Colton from a place called Mainline Marine near Tucson. I came across him on the Facebook black max forums as he was selling a 175 there. Messaged him and he got back to me right away telling me he still had it and he installed them too. At this point, I didn’t even know he had a shop.

I asked him for his number, I gave him a call (which he answered), and I explained my situation. He explained that he had a 200 as well. He gave me his installed price, and we set up a time. I took it to Tucson on the agreed date (a Saturday), and he asked me to give him two weeks.

If I remember right, I told him I’d like to get the boat back in 5 weeks. Two weeks later, unsolicited, he texted me pics of the new to me engine on the boat. I had also asked him to lake run it if possible, and he said he would if he could.

He did. In the meantime, I asked him to cover the boat up, as I didn’t take my cover, and it had been sitting outside for a couple of months. He did better: he put in his showroom.

To make a long story short, I picked it up this morning, put it in the water in Parker, and ran it from Blue Water to Roadrunner and back. The boat ran great and idled much better than before. Low hour, fresh water only, 1990/200.

Here’s the boat in its natural habitat:

BBCAF32D-BA7B-4F36-A816-9DC66FFA68DF.jpeg

Colton was super easy to deal with, prompt, and was more than happy to answer any questions, no matter how silly I thought they were.

The only downside for me was that he’s in Tucson, quite a trek for me.

For anyone interested, he has a 2003 150 and a 1998 200 efi ready to go.

Last edited: