WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

WTB- Dump Trailer, I'm taking a chance

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
Ok so after the post on Friday and talking it over with friends and family I've decided to go into business for myself.

I was a partner in a construction company a few years ago but it was a lot of GC stuff. But my brother and I are going to do demo/clean up etc... and focus our business there until we grow. I have my older partner who wants to join in 6-10 months.

Now I don't want to go into details but I have the opportunity to make 300-500 bucks a day with my contacts and my secret weapon.

However as most know getting started is tough and my initial investment is on a budget. So I'm looking for a dump trailer to buy and all I see is new. I don't need heavy duty axles or all the bells and whistles. I am going big on the next trailer. I'm looking for a 10 foot or a 12 foot. I've contacted dealers and the cheapest was 3083 but could be just away to get you in the door.

So RDP what do you have or where can you send me?

Thanks guys for helping me make a decision

hallett21

Reaction score
Have you thought about financing one?

I think you get what you pay for with tools. And since this would be a huge part of your demo business I would say get a quality new trailer.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Tow rig? What do you plan on hauling to start. I check CL daily. Currently have a 8,10 and 12' footer. Always looking for another 12' but they go in a day or so or they are hammered.

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
Ok so after the post on Friday and talking it over with friends and family I've decided to go into business for myself.

I was a partner in a construction company a few years ago but it was a lot of GC stuff. But my brother and I are going to do demo/clean up etc... and focus our business there until we grow. I have my older partner who wants to join in 6-10 months.

Now I don't want to go into details but I have the opportunity to make 300-500 bucks a day with my contacts and my secret weapon.

However as most know getting started is tough and my initial investment is on a budget. So I'm looking for a dump trailer to buy and all I see is new. I don't need heavy duty axles or all the bells and whistles. I am going big on the next trailer. I'm looking for a 10 foot or a 12 foot. I've contacted dealers and the cheapest was 3083 but could be just away to get you in the door.

So RDP what do you have or where can you send me?

Thanks guys for helping me make a decision

GOOD FOR YOU !!! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Don't buy a dump trailer, it is a waste of time. Buy a cab-over Isuzu or Hino truck with a dump body used and never look back.

X2. A company I worked for had a cab over 3500. Trailers take up to much room, haul less and it's a pain to drive around with a trailer all day. We always left the truck on jobs. It was very easy. Those trips to the dump and back are what eat up the profit (time). A truck cuts down that time. If you have a company work truck to beat the hell out of go for it. But I wouldn't want to be taking my daily driver to the dump or tow with it (stop and go) 5 days a week.

NicPaus

Reaction score
For daily use a dump truck. The registration and insurance adds up. I have owned 2 bought them for big project and sold for more when done. $1200 a year registration $1800 insurance. Dump trailer is $10 for 5 years.

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
Tow rig? What do you plan on hauling to start. I check CL daily. Currently have a 8,10 and 12' footer. Always looking for another 12' but they go in a day or so or they are hammered.

I have a 2500 4x4 we are okay with one that's a little beat up. The next one will be a bit different.

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
X2. A company I worked for had a cab over 3500. Trailers take up to much room, haul less and it's a pain to drive around with a trailer all day. We always left the truck on jobs. It was very easy. Those trips to the dump and back are what eat up the profit (time). A truck cuts down that time. If you have a company work truck to beat the hell out of go for it. But I wouldn't want to be taking my daily driver to the dump or tow with it (stop and go) 5 days a week.

I have a budget this could be in the future

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Incidently, PJ trailers (I think) makes a bad ass dump trailer.

X Hoser

Reaction score
Dang, just sold one. 6x12 with 2' sides. Paid $3200 new, used 6 months on a remodel project and sold the first day on Craig's list for $2900. Bought it factory direct at HR Trailers in Riverside. I looked for a couple months at used and they were hammered and darn near the price of new. A lot of places seem to be manufacturing them right now. I was not that impressed with the HR but it did the job.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Using a dump trailer you won't make any money. It comes down to how many cubic yards of trash you can haul in a trip and the time it take to go to the dump and back. A decent sized dump trailer will hold 14 CY and a small dump truck will hold 27 CY. If you make twice as many trips to the dump as your competitors have to, you are dead in the water before you start. BTW, I use trash clean up guys all the time and have a very good idea of what it takes to make money in this line of work.

NicPaus

Reaction score
PJ trailers (I think) makes a bad ass dump trailer.

My little one is a PJ 5x8. Will hold 4200#. Only issue is prior owner parked it where sprinklers hit it and it rusted under the powder coat. The other 2 are Carson. Big Tex also makes a nice one. Craigslist is flooded with the cheap new ones but they will not hold up. If you go double axle get a scissor hoist not push ram.

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I'm waiting for a call back I think I found what I'm looking for.

I don't want to go into details on exactly what I'm doing, but it should work perfectly after crunching numbers. It also ties into when my investment goes public next year and I start buying rental properties.

I'm taking a chance like what was suggested.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Using a dump trailer you won't make any money. It comes down to how many cubic yards of trash you can haul in a trip and the time it take to go to the dump and back. A decent sized dump trailer will hold 14 CY and a small dump truck will hold 27 CY. If you make twice as many trips to the dump as your competitors have to, you are dead in the water before you start. BTW, I use trash clean up guys all the time and have a very good idea of what it takes to make money in this line of work.

Depends on the size of jobs. My 03 Carson Dump has made me a lot of money. Best thing I have bought for my business. Paid $4800 new otd and could sell it for $4500. I just got a bid from demo contractor for a garage. Cheaper to have him do it $1800 than me. The concrete though was $3100 to haul. I save $480 a load by doing it myself. I do most my dump runs after 8pm so no time wasted during day running loads.

I will admit I am pissed about the Carb bullshit. I sold my last dump truck as it was not supposed to be able to be used in CA after 2016. Buyer is still running it everyday. Was a 4700 with a 14' flatbed dump. My skidsteer fit in it perfectly and it held double the weight as my dump trailer. I dont miss the fees though. Just got 1 insurance bill for $3500 for the year and 2 dmv renewals at $950.

Demoman

Reaction score
I have been in the residential demolition business for 20 years. One of the biggest benefits to using dump trailers is the low deck height. Much easier to hand load than a dump truck. In addition it is nice to be able to haul tools and materials in the truck bed while having the trailer full of debris. Another advantage to a trailer is you can disconnect and leave guys working while you are out on job walks etc. Shoot me a PM if you need any additional info or suggestions.

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
Just sent you a pm. You know what you want and what your doing. Stick to your plan!

Congrats

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Depends on the size of jobs. My 03 Carson Dump has made me a lot of money. Best thing I have bought for my business. Paid $4800 new otd and could sell it for $4500. I just got a bid from demo contractor for a garage. Cheaper to have him do it $1800 than me. The concrete though was $3100 to haul. I save $480 a load by doing it myself. I do most my dump runs after 8pm so no time wasted during day running loads.

I will admit I am pissed about the Carb bullshit. I sold my last dump truck as it was not supposed to be able to be used in CA after 2016. Buyer is still running it everyday. Was a 4700 with a 14' flatbed dump. My skidsteer fit in it perfectly and it held double the weight as my dump trailer. I dont miss the fees though. Just got 1 insurance bill for $3500 for the year and 2 dmv renewals at $950.

Totally agree with you. When I first started my business I did a lot of demo work, but since the last downturn there is no real money left in demolition. I still perform demo jobs every day as a service, but I only do it when I am contracted for the excavation, grading & concrete work that makes some real money.

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
I have been in the residential demolition business for 20 years. One of the biggest benefits to using dump trailers is the low deck height. Much easier to hand load than a dump truck. In addition it is nice to be able to haul tools and materials in the truck bed while having the trailer full of debris. Another advantage to a trailer is you can disconnect and leave guys working while you are out on job walks etc. Shoot me a PM if you need any additional info or suggestions.

Thank you sir!

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I did a small office renovation job in downtown Seattle that had about 5K sq' of demo 7 years ago in a high-rise that didn't have space for a dumpster to be left onsite during the day. The building also didn't have a loading dock, only a handful of parking stalls that were not under the building that they offered up for "staging" during off hours. The PM had money in the budget for 4 dumpster loads (550.00 each), didn't plug anything for picking up the dumpster every morning and dropping it back onsite every night. His budget would have been busted in 4 days just in moving the dumpster around let alone dump fees.

I rented a 7'w x 14' long trailer, added 4' plywood sideboards with 2x4 back framing. It was a rental and the dump site was only about 15 minutes away so weight didn't concern me. To be honest, your not going to overload one of those things with metal stud framing and GWB, or carpet or pretty much any other type of construction debris other than concrete rubble.The job was on the 11th floor so it was time consuming hauling debris down the freight elevator and being that there was no loading dock or money for a forklift there was zero chance of filling a 30 or 40 yard dumpster in one night. Side note, the low sides of the dump trailer came in handy.

They have a place for small work or restricted jobsites.

As mentioned, just buy a new one, you will not have a problem selling it later. IIRC, Sunbelt rentals charged 150.00 a day are 550.00 a week for that trailer. It doesn't take long to equal the purchase price.

riverroyal

Reaction score
I sure hope that's 300 to 500 a day after expenses. Checked land fill fees lately?

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
My Carson 12' dump with the scissor type hinge/hydraulic ram is the way to go, it is rock solid and has not let me down, and maintenance is pretty basic. I know some say a dump truck is more efficient, but my GMC sits in the yard a lot, and will probably be outlawed for emissions soon, (its a 1981) and the registration and insurance (like Nicpaus said) is ridiculous, I am looking for second Carson soon, with the hopes that business continues steady for a while. Really hope your new venture pans out for you RK, sounds promising!

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
My Carson 12' dump with the scissor type hinge/hydraulic ram is the way to go, it is rock solid and has not let me down, and maintenance is pretty basic. I know some say a dump truck is more efficient, but my GMC sits in the yard a lot, and will probably be outlawed for emissions soon, (its a 1981) and the registration and insurance (like Nicpaus said) is ridiculous, I am looking for second Carson soon, with the hopes that business continues steady for a while. Really hope your new venture pans out for you RK, sounds promising!

Thanks brotha! Yes the first Trailer doesn't need the HD axles etc... The 2nd one I buy will be built to handle a bobcat. I have my 2500 Chevy and a Tundra and for now those should both do the trick. I might go look at one today it's a big Tex 10x5 which for what we are doing should work perfect. My partner still has the one we had from our company and that thing made us so much money. I'm going to build the sides so maximize space and minimize our trips to the dump.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Glad to see you recovering from last Fridays ordeal. Apparently the weekend lifted you to new levels. Good luck in the new venture.

NicPaus

Reaction score
This is nice single axle light duty dump. https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tro/6021228866.html

I forwarded it to my neighbor the day it popped up but he is not ready to buy. I like my single axle for small jobs and when picking up a single pallet. Just park it where the guys need it and they use what is needed without unloading the whole pallet. It also will go through any drive through.

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
This is nice single axle light duty dump. https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tro/6021228866.html

I forwarded it to my neighbor the day it popped up but he is not ready to buy. I like my single axle for small jobs and when picking up a single pallet. Just park it where the guys need it and they use what is needed without unloading the whole pallet. It also will go through any drive through.

I found some brand new big tex for 3k

cicchetti_24

Reaction score
So instead of throwing 4K out right now my ex business partner is letting me use his dump trailer to get up and running. Just waiting for my background to be finished and I can start. So hopefully Monday is the day.