WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

[WTB] WTB: SBC parts; intake, heads, cam, rockers

More2LifeThanMPG

Reaction score
All I know SBC are not overly popular around here, but I thought I’d give it a shot. Figure someone might be hoarding something from the past.

I have an 86 Howard with a Mercruiser 260 backed up with an Alpha drive. Looking to up the power slightly, nothing serious as I know the drive can’t handle much more than 320hp. Also I don’t want to spend serious money on it either.

Looking for some vortec heads to build off; which means I’ll need a new intake as well, thinking aluminum and probably a high rise.
I have a Q-jet currently installed, but I also have a Holly 650; not sure which I’ll use yet. Or if I should go for an Edelbrock 1409.

To take true advantage of the head swap, I’d like to complete this step up swap with some new rockers and a cam. Not sure what I’m looking for here, been looking at the comp NX262H. But I know everything needs to function together, and that’s where I need help understanding.

Any help on locating any of items would be great, working on kind of a budget but willing to spend for the right items. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Q jet. The Vortec heads will bump the compression. 86 you probably have a flat tappet cam. 87 is the first year of roller.

Just the heads, rockers, and intake manifold will pick up 35-40hp. Brand new you would be out 1200 or less.

More2LifeThanMPG

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the Q jet. The Vortec heads will bump the compression. 86 you probably have a flat tappet cam. 87 is the first year of roller.

Just the heads, rockers, and intake manifold will pick up 35-40hp. Brand new you would be out 1200 or less.

Yeah I’m just not used to them, and not many people speak of them anymore. Got 2 with the boat, previous owner had issues tuning it.

More2LifeThanMPG

Reaction score
Bumping this to the top. Still looking.
Thank you

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Are you interested in a complete vortec motor 1999. Gm crate with less than 10k on it.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Are you interested in a complete vortec motor 1999. Gm crate with less than 10k on it.

This...Suburban roller cam, L31 motor, carb'd, with 1.6 rockers, and a 750 Holley, 325 hp ALL DAY LONG.

Dan'l

ACrooks70

Reaction score
The Alpha take more than 320hp. Has more to do with how you treat it. I had a 383 437hp/479tq running at 57-5900RPM in both an Alpha 1 SS and a Gen 2. Never broke the Gen two, the SS broke a vertical shaft after the new owner put 500 or a little more in front of it. I wouldn't worry at all with 350hp and a small block, 400hp you should be good in a lighter boat, but not sure what you have. A Hyd roller cam will go a long way in getting more power and not affecting drive-ability. I may have an RPM intake with a Qjet flange laying around. Heck I have a Qjet rebuilt by Jet Performance for the '91 5.7 that was in my old boat. That worked real well on the 350 with a Comp 260H and the 383 with Trickflows and an XE264 Hyd Roller. I think I put larger secondary rods in it with the 383 though.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Yes in havasu, maybe 1200 or good offer on motor