WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

WTB Wedge Rudder

davethewave

Reaction score
I need A good Rudder.Mine lets in A ton of water and Im tired of having to run the bilge all the time..Steel ,no bronze.

lenmann

Reaction score
Is it the rudder or the rudder stuffing box? Depending on the type of stuffing box there is a seal that can be adjusted (tightened) to address the leaking issue.

A picture of the rudder and stuffing box from inside the boat might help.

oldschool

Reaction score
Might not be the rudder, could be the stuffing box seal. Like lenmann said, check the stuffing box. If it has a grease zerk, it might need a shot of grease. Get a pic and post it up.

davethewave

Reaction score
The Rudder shaft is worn down . The last time the Rudder was out of the boat I bought A new stuffing box. While holding the Rudder , I slid the stuffing box down the shaft. Nice tight fit until i wrorked down to where it is supposed to sit. There I could see the slop .no more tight fit.

lenmann

Reaction score
1" or 1 1/8" shaft? Blade shape?

lenmann

Reaction score
I have this one that was built by Kent Santos at Barber welding in 2015. It is chromed steel, 1 1/8" shaft, and never been used.

I'll sell it for $900 plus shipping.

Attachments

• 990C8E6E-AED8-44A7-BEE2-9FA9AFB3AB12.jpeg
    990C8E6E-AED8-44A7-BEE2-9FA9AFB3AB12.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 138

jmeads

Reaction score
I have this one that was built by Kent Santos at Barber welding in 2015. It is chromed steel, 1 1/8" shaft, and never been used.

I'll sell it for $900 plus shipping.
Are you going to a different style rudder than the wedge for your Schiada. I was never really happy with they way my Schiada turned with the wedge.

lenmann

Reaction score
I was planning to go with the wedge style. Everyone I have spoken recommended it, but that may just be historical inertia.

You are the first person I have heard that didn't like it, aside from everyone complaining about poor maneuverability at slow speeds at the ramp, dock, Foxes, etc.

What didn't you like and what shape would you recommend?

jmeads

Reaction score
My boat would not turn under power very well. I would have to get out of the gas, then into it to set up the turn and nail the throttle. If I was to get another rudder it would be the trailer rudder. Check with Aaron as he just got a new rudder for his 22. He got the cruiser type I think.

Attachments

• 5B95F7C5-8FC4-43DA-86F4-614A99D44B05.png
    5B95F7C5-8FC4-43DA-86F4-614A99D44B05.png
    442.8 KB · Views: 112

great_escape

Reaction score
I was planning to go with the wedge style. Everyone I have spoken recommended it, but that may just be historical inertia.

You are the first person I have heard that didn't like it, aside from everyone complaining about poor maneuverability at slow speeds at the ramp, dock, Foxes, etc.

What didn't you like and what shape would you recommend?
17-4 Stainless before heat treat and polish.
I have a 21 Schiada with a turbo engine. I had a wedge ruder and swapped to this. I've notice a little more maneuverability while docking.
Noticeable difference under power and a bit more stability at speed.
I spec and ordered it from Tom Bently of Menkens V-Drives (530) 347 4800 and I couldn't be happier.
Image.jpg

lenmann

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback guys.

@aaronschiada Any thoughts on rudder shape after you switched up?

I know there are a couple of guys close to pulling the trigger on new rudders, more real feedback is better in my view.

Thanks in advance

great_escape

Reaction score
@great_escape do you have hydraulic steering or cable on your RC?
I have the morse red jacket dual cable set up. The helm is still tight and the cables move freely🤞I adjusted any play out of the cables when I swapped rudders. Also with the wedge rudder I had to counter steer and couldn't let go of the wheel. Now it tracks pretty neutral. A bit of effort under acceleration but once to a cruise speed its effortless.

aaronschiada

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback guys.

@aaronschiada Any thoughts on rudder shape after you switched up?

I know there are a couple of guys close to pulling the trigger on new rudders, more real feedback is better in my view.

Thanks in advance
I was running the wedge originally, but switched to the GN style rudder. The wedge on mine made my boat handle like shit. The GN rudder is a 180 from that. It has completely changed the way my boat handles at all speeds...and for the better. There is a lot of torque steer at higher speeds with a 3 blade, but hydraulic steering should take care of that...haha. Boat looks great!

sintax

Reaction score
I was running the wedge originally, but switched to the GN style rudder. The wedge on mine made my boat handle like shit. The GN rudder is a 180 from that. It has completely changed the way my boat handles at all speeds...and for the better. There is a lot of torque steer at higher speeds with a 3 blade, but hydraulic steering should take care of that...haha. Boat looks great!

when we're referring to a GN style rudder, are we talking about an SK style as pictured above from @great_escape , or something different?

I'm trying to research rudders for my Rayson cruiser as well. I didnt think it was possible, there there seems to be more black magic in rudders than v-drive props.

aaronschiada

Reaction score
when we're referring to a GN style rudder, are we talking about an SK style as pictured above from @great_escape , or something different?

I'm trying to research rudders for my Rayson cruiser as well. I didnt think it was possible, there there seems to be more black magic in rudders than v-drive props.
Yes...

aaronschiada

Reaction score

This is Glenwood’s ad. And a pic of mall old rudder vs new rudder. I did not get mine from Glenwood.

Attachments

• 60A91505-50E7-458A-9661-F443E4BA79B4.jpeg
    60A91505-50E7-458A-9661-F443E4BA79B4.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 43D753B1-D1FD-4DBF-875E-B8FC27291607.jpeg
    43D753B1-D1FD-4DBF-875E-B8FC27291607.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 104