WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

X dimension and pad layout

NAFLASH

Reaction score
Since there is no Outdrive forum I will post this here. I have had in my possession a bare spectra 20 hull that has been put on the back burner for quite some time now. However, I have finally decided on what setup I want to go with. I have a Mercruiser 502 Mg MPI with a Bravo 1 I would like to install in the boat. Currently it is set up for a pump. I am in the process of patching the intake and rebuilding the transom to hold the drive however I need some guidance when it comes to setting up the X dimension and possibly putting a pad on the bottom of the boat. If anyone has any advice or pictures that would be great.

PS: I work with composites everyday building aircraft, I have just never modified a boat this heavily, so I'm positive I have the skill to achieve this, I just need some direction.

Thanks guys
-Zach

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You are going to find that with a stock bravo (no shorty lower) on that size boat, it becomes a balancing act for x dimension, between getting the x up, and keeping the motor down and under a somewhat decent looking hatch, that is what you should be keeping in mind.

NAFLASH

Reaction score
I know it is possible. In the old spectra marine site there is a 20 with the same setup just carbed.

spectras only

Reaction score
Why don't you find someone who has a 20 Spectra with the 350/SD setup.
You're limited to go lower X dim because of the shallow 12* deadrise hull. Need clearence for the oilpan,but you can use a shorty lower unit.. Going higher than stock X dim would upset the balance of the boat and wouldn't look nice with a tall hatch either.I'm not a fan of tall boxes I see on Spectras, Schiadas and Howards with sterndrives;) .They all look better with an open engine bay layout to show off the hardware IMHO.

Spectra%2020%20combos.bmp

Spectra%2020%20combos%202.bmp

Last edited:

NAFLASH

Reaction score
I have everything to rig the boat with this setup. I could careless how tall the hatch is. As long as the boat works

spectras only

Reaction score
My buddy kyle already has that setup, but I want to go faster and not worry about blowing up the alpha.

The alpha drive is slimmer than the B1 drive,hence faster.What's the HP of the 502 you got? If you're easy on holeshots the alpha may survive for a while.

NAFLASH

Reaction score
I have a bravo 1 drive... why would I downgrade?

sergeantmike

Reaction score
If for some reason you would like to part with that 20 hull....PM

Mike in Havasu

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I wouldn't down grade. That boat runs just fine with a big block and an I/o. I would pm badblown572 for the x dimension as that hull and his hull are the same.

RD

spectras only

Reaction score

personally, I'd upgrade to an ASD-6 Arneson drive.It would last for ever, would be faster than a B1 drive and don't anyone tell me it doesn't handle at the docks BS;):D I'd fab a s/s plate to mount in place of the Jet transom plate for the drive using the existing holes,saving some fiberglassing work and retain the original gel outside.The transom would need to be reinforced too ,since the jet models don't have the plywood reinforcement inside.

this small Donzi [ 18'] runs over 100
GEO.jpg

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
How about he cuts a hole in the engine cover and then stuff a huffer on top of the motor to "disguise" the hole. :D:skull

You are going to find that with a stock bravo (no shorty lower) on that size boat, it becomes a balancing act for x dimension, between getting the x up, and keeping the motor down and under a somewhat decent looking hatch, that is what you should be keeping in mind.

spectras only

Reaction score
How about he cuts a hole in the engine cover and then stuff a huffer on top of the motor to "disguise" the hole. :D:skull
I think an engine hatch with the engine poking through would look great.

NAFLASH

Reaction score
Ill give danny a call. He actually used my boat for his plugs...i think. With the stern light being right above the alpha drive on my buddies boat, I would think there's only about an 1 inch of room to work with up and down. So well see...

sergeantmike

Reaction score
"there's only about an 1 inch of room to work with up and down. So well see..."

Wasn't that something a gal said to Tom?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ill give danny a call. He actually used my boat for his plugs...i think. With the stern light being right above the alpha drive on my buddies boat, I would think there's only about an 1 inch of room to work with up and down. So well see...

He didn't use that for plugs. He originally bought that boat for the trailer, I sold him my wifes Spectra 20 with no trailer.. Etc..

NAFLASH

Reaction score
Ahhh ok. Well I've been working on the boat all morning. It looks like its fit just fine with no issues other then not having a stern light

NAFLASH

Reaction score
Its already set up for a jet. An outdrive with a 502 sounds and performs way better.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
Did I say "jet"? I meant dual jet.

:D

I'm just kidding.

Oh... and my opinion is to not bother with a pad.

sergeantmike

Reaction score
"Did I say "jet"? I meant dual jet.

I'm just kidding.

Oh... and my opinion is to not bother with a pad."

Tom Brown... causing the living and the dead to take a break and count to 10 before they reply~

NAFLASH

Reaction score
Looks like the X dimension will be right around 15 5/8 per danny at dcm. Ill be mocking it up later nex week. Then the boat will go in for paint and final rigging soon after!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Looks like the X dimension will be right around 15 5/8 per danny at dcm. Ill be mocking it up later nex week. Then the boat will go in for paint and final rigging soon after!

Looking forward to seeing it! Post up some pictures of the hole filled..

who filled it?

DR

NAFLASH

Reaction score
Ill be doing all the glass work, and I might be adding some carbon fiber. Pics soon to come! If anyone has anymore feedback or knows more info let me know!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
If thats the measurement Danny gave you,then do it.I would think he knows more than most how to set up that hull. Post some pics.:thumbsup