WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

XP 1000 in Hungry Valley Yesterday.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
HVpano.jpg

I got up in the morning, made Maynard a breakfast burrito, dropped him off at school.
When I returned home the wife wanted to take the Rzr XP 1000 to Hungry Valley for the day.
Alice busted out the helmets and sunscreen, ice chest all packed.
It was 82F and zero wind when we left the house, 54F with a stiff, cold wind when we arrived in Gorman, Ca at 11:35 AM.
San Francisco summer.

Dressed in just shorts and T shirts, we needed warm clothing.
So we drove a few minutes to the Flying J truck stop and this location only sold t shirts. Usually Flying J's look like a TJ Max when ya walk in.
So we headed into Frasier Park and found the SPCA thrift store where they had jackets for $2,, sweatshirts for $1.
We gave the volunteer girl a $20 bill and the change went to the donation jar.

With the exception of maybe 3 M/C / quad riders, we had the Hungry Valley riding area all to ourselves.
We did everything, The mud bath, the obstacle courses, the hill climbs, the Freeman Canyon runs,, all the hills and valleys.

HTrain15%5B1%5D.jpg

We never over-nite camped there, but it looks like it might be OK if the Raider Nation doesn't fuck the place up too bad when they visit.
Nice fencing that at first seems like a nuisance ,, but is really to stop camp racing,, and it's set up perfectly for that.

njHTrain03.jpg

The XP 1000 has a much improved ride over the 900. Handles the whoops much better too. More climbing power is quite apparent, and the power steering is really cool. Far, far more fun to drive.
We loosened the suspension coil springs ,, maybe 20% from factory setting. We're reading everywhere that the factory sets the suspension pretty tight.

hill400.jpg
dd7f4472f6204b28ae536c79ecf891be.jpg

The wife never like the ride and handling in our XP 900 and now her opinion has changed with the XP 1000. She loves it. She kicks it in the ass and loves to haul ass through the long runs and canyons.
The power to weight ratio may be the same as the XP 900,, but the performance, especially climbing steep hills is much different, much better.

The 3" Pro Armor 5 point belts really suck.
Heavy, poor fit, uncomfortable, bulky, several other gripes.
We're switching back to the 2" Crows.

gorman2.jpg
IMG_2858.jpg

Last edited:

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
TPC... Pop'n Tags...Got $20 in my pocket...

Looks like a great day in the dirt. :thumbup:

Reactions: TPC

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
TPC, I always like your write ups. Can you please answer me this:

Why would you choose the XP 1000 over something like a Dual Sport car with an ECO TEC built by Tatum, Alumi Craft, or comparable builder?

Sent from my iPhone

Ivan Dan

Reaction score

Why would you choose the XP 1000 over something like a Dual Sport car with an ECO TEC built by Tatum, Alumi Craft, or comparable builder?

Sent from my iPhone

LOL Different cars for different occasions. The smaller car with 4x4 can go a lot more places than a 2wd buggy. The SxS's for a lot (not all of course) of people are a good mix between a sandcar, prerunner, quad, dirtbike, etc.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Sent from my iPhone

I look at it as the Side by Sides are a step up from Quads or ATV's.
Still toys that perhaps fall short of the bigger vehicles, but the gap is closing.
Ya have to drive them both and see which fits your interests. It ain't cheap anymore.

With the bigger, better suspension, more HP 4 seaters hitting the market, and 5 different turbo makers perfecting their units, the SxS segment is about to pop once again.
The turbo equipped XP1000's are amazing to drive, thrilling and it spoils ya. Steamers.

mini-IMG_9653_zpsf3052f45.jpg

Stock XP1000 jumping:
[video=youtube;A-jT2hB5id8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-jT2hB5id8[/video]

I finally moved the wife from her scary fast klunky quad to a XP 1000. I rest easier know she's considerably safer. Kinda like getting her off her PWC, into a boat, or her Ninja into a S2000.

Last edited: