WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

XR Drive scratched

Mikes56

Reaction score
So I was hanging out at 3 Dunes over the 4th weekend and scratched and gouged the crap out of my drive. I didn't realize the drive was bouncing on the rocky shore until it was too late.

I ordered the rattlecan paint and primer from Mercury. Anyone know if it holds up, or should I get some better paint and use my spray Gun?

UPDATE
So I finally got around to panting my outdrive. I took your advice and sanded and primed it first. I put two coats of primer on and two coats of paint, sanding between each coat. On the back of the paint can it says to use Mercury clear within 30 minutes of applying the paint, so I ordered a can of clear. It came out awesome so far. It looks brand new!!

Now if it holds up to the water beating on it, I'll be good.

Last edited:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Merc Phantom black works great, just be sure to prep surface good.

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
The Merc stuff should be fine. The magic is in the prep. Take your time to fill, sand, prime and sand again to get it as close to perfect as you can.

So I was hanging out at 3 Dunes over the 4th weekend and scratched and gouged the crap out of my drive. I didn't realize the drive was bouncing on the rocky shore until it was too late.

I ordered the rattlecan paint and primer from Mercury. Anyone know if it holds up, or should I get some better paint and use my spray Gun?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
It’s works really good, but it’s all in the prep. Mine has held up for years

Mikes56

Reaction score
Ok thanks that's great to know. I'm a little less pissed off at myself now. I should have been more careful and just anchored slightly off the shore.

guest hs

Reaction score
Trust me leave it alone for powder coat it in the off season don’t rattle can it!

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I sprayed a pair of k planes with merc black and primered with their zinc chromate primer from rattle cans. They came out great.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
If that happens to often you will have bigger more expensive problems. To much pounding on the ground that way will trash gimble rings. Ask me how I know.

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Wow.... You guys are fancy. Zero prep and a can of krylon gloss black works too.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Leave it because it's going to happen again.:D

Mikes56

Reaction score
I'm too OCD to leave it all jacked up. I left the boat in Havasu to get detailed, I'm going back in 3 weeks. The boat will look great but I'm going to stare at the outdrive, I just know I am. Dammit lol

Mike K

Reaction score
Sand lightly with 400 grit then absolutely for sure spray a coat of yellow Zinc Chromate primer on ... other wise that beautiful Mercury Phantom black paint wont stay on with the speed. You usually see the Zinc Chromate Spray can right next to the Mercury Phantom black spray paint can on the shelfs.