WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Yacht vs. Boat

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Can anyone give a definitive description of what makes the difference between a yacht and a boat. It was always my understanding that a yacht is a boat that is typically 24' or larger and has a sleeping berth and a galley. Am I wrong?

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Can anyone give a definitive description of what makes the difference between a yacht and a boat. It was always my understanding that a yacht is a boat that is typically 24' or larger and has a sleeping berth and a galley. Am I wrong?
i would disagree with that, My Formula 400SS was 40' long had a galley. sleeping berth and would not be considered a yacht.

Now the 52' Sunseeker i was looking at would be considered a yacht

i found this if a vessel cannot be towed by a car or truck on a public roadway without special permitting (i.e. she is over 8.5-feet wide at her beam, and likely longer than 35-feet) than it’s likely to be considered a yacht.

That would mean that my Formula could have been considered a yacht who knew

Last edited:

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
You won't find a "definitive description"... mostly opinions. At the shore I always differentiate them by whether the owner needs a hired captain. Over a certain tonnage I believe there's coast guard rules that the vessel needs to be operated by a licensed captain.... most guys buying big vessels don't have the time/ interest to become a captain. A friend is looking into his first boat/ yacht currently and I'm steering him a bit. He's in $2M category so he'll be over 65' which takes skill & training. Even with the joysticks & bow thrusters they all operate with now.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
There is one yacht in this picture. The rest are boats.
F371E3F6-FD7D-4F07-98B9-2A8A2CFC147F.jpeg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
When exiting the saloon, you pass thru a sliding door similar to your house.....
You got yourself a yacht.

Matter of fact - if they used the term "Saloon" when selling it to you - it's probably a yacht.

If it has a real-estate "for sale" sign affixed to the bulpit - Probably a yacht

If the gas bill has 4 digits - Probably a yacht

If you have a crew that serves your crew - That's a yacht

If you catch yourself playing Boss Skaggs on a Sunday - you're on a yacht

If random chicks jump on board and they let their duffy leave them behind........
You're on a yacht

1614289604659.png

If a band fits on the deck - yacht

1614289708025.png

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
So basically what I said in the first post is as good of a definition as anyone's. 👍

707dog

Reaction score
NMMA gives the Yacht Certified designation if it complies with ABYC standards. It starts at 26'. Here are the full list of standards but the capacity plate will either give persons and weight limits or say Yacht Certified.

My four winns 250 open bow has a certified yacht plate mounted at the helm but i know do not consider it a yacht Until I post a for sale ad😁🤣

Last edited:

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Our neighbor two doors down just brought this vessel (tactfully avoiding the question) home a couple of days ago. An older Westport 128', nice shape though. Poor guy, just a local Marcus Welby.

IMG_3881-1.jpg

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Our neighbor two doors down just brought this vessel (tactfully avoiding the question) home a couple of days ago. An older Westport 128', nice shape though. Poor guy, just a local Marcus Welby.

Low tide challenges in HH. Seems he needs low tide to get under the bridge.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

View attachment 976582
How can you stand to let him anchor that pile two houses down from you, must be bringing property values down. 😁

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, there was a decent size vessel called the "Love Boat". LOL
Just call them Vessels.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Yup, and some articulation in the electronics structure on the top level.

I do miss having the boat in Sunset. So much to enjoy up that way and be at the island in an hr. Dana is 5 offramps down the 5 fwy from me but if were looking for entertainment back up the coast we go. Hope your "Yacht" is running well.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

View attachment 976582
Man I hope he's got good relations with homes left & right of him, lol.

Yachts by Bob

Reaction score
Somebody said something about yachts !!!!!!! LOL Took this to Woodys wharf for lunch the other day, brand new Cruisers Yachts 50 Cantius. Its one hell of a boat........ I mean Yacht 😂

tempImagesFydEO.png

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Somebody said something about yachts !!!!!!! LOL Took this to Woodys wharf for lunch the other day, brand new Cruisers Yachts 50 Cantius. Its one hell of a boat........ I mean Yacht 😂

View attachment 976797
Well, I guess if manufacturer places the word in the name ya just gonna have to accept that. Great swimstep er exterior salon ya got there. I could see furniture on that.

Yachts by Bob

Reaction score
Well, I guess if manufacturer places the word in the name ya just gonna have to accept that. Great swimstep er exterior salon ya got there. I could see furniture on that.
The swim step is hydraulic, and will come down into the water so you can load your tender on the back thats what the tracks are for the chalks. It also has steps that open as you lower it into the water for you to enter the water, and get back on the boat they really thought of everything on the swim step. you can see the steps on the port side in this picture.

tempImagewPtfCo.png

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
The swim step is hydraulic, and will come down into the water so you can load your tender on the back thats what the tracks are for the chalks. It also has steps that open as you lower it into the water for you to enter the water, and get back on the boat they really thought of everything on the swim step. you can see the steps on the port side in this picture.

View attachment 976804
Yup I noticed those details in first pic too..... can't say I've seen that prior, great idea. I could also see a 30' speedboat or similar size tie perpendicularly with fenders perhaps. Thats always a challenge with standard sterns on these. New boats [yachts lol] are engineered better lately.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
He owns the two properties the vessel is setting in front of. :) First world problems.
Ya gotta love that. My buddy has an 80' and pays 3500/ mth for slip just off to left as entering Lido Island Nprt Bch bridge. If you look down on bridge you'll see maybe 3-4 large vessels 80-120' docked in front of 3 houses. I asked him if home owners owned these boats and he said no actually the same family owns all 3 homes and simply rent out the slips to these large vessels. I started doing the math wondering what family makes on slips lol.... beautiful income.