WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Yamaha SHO VMAX break-in period???

DonS

Reaction score
I'm about month out from getting my new Avalon Catalina 25' quad lounge. It will be fitted with the 250 HP Yamaha SHO VMAX. This engine has been around for awhile and most of the info on them is several years old.

I'm looking for engine break-in information. Obviously, I'll read the engine manual when I get it, but I'm looking for the current thinking. I know when I buy a new car, I pretty much drive it like I stole it. Some of the old info on the Yamaha, is that the break-in routine is 5 hours of under 2K rpm driving. That's going to be brutal. I sold my 10 month old SunTracker with a 150HP Mercury because it was slow when the entire family was on the boat. My new boat has been on order since the 2nd week of February and not expected to be delivered until the end of April. I'm dying to know what this boat will do with the 250HP Yamaha. I ordered it with the tritoon pontoon package and their wave glider performance package.

DonS

Reaction score
Thanks, will be discussing an ECU change from 250HP to 300HP with them as soon as I'm out of warranty. Will call regarding the break-in period.

GETBOATS

Reaction score
Follow the manual, do exactly as it instructs, I've had over 10 of these SHO engines with zero failures.

Make certain the boat/motor combination is propped right, engine needs to rev to at least 5600, but not more than 6100. Impossible to de with a new boat and follow break-in, so relay on the boat manufacturer for correct pitch. Then, as soon as break-in allows for it, run full throttle with the boat loaded as you see yourself boating most of the time. Also, run trim where you would normally run on plane, don't over trim just to increase RPM. Congrats or your purchase, could not have done better!!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I'm about month out from getting my new Avalon Catalina 25' quad lounge. It will be fitted with the 250 HP Yamaha SHO VMAX. This engine has been around for awhile and most of the info on them is several years old.

I'm looking for engine break-in information. Obviously, I'll read the engine manual when I get it, but I'm looking for the current thinking. I know when I buy a new car, I pretty much drive it like I stole it. Some of the old info on the Yamaha, is that the break-in routine is 5 hours of under 2K rpm driving. That's going to be brutal. I sold my 10 month old SunTracker with a 150HP Mercury because it was slow when the entire family was on the boat. My new boat has been on order since the 2nd week of February and not expected to be delivered until the end of April. I'm dying to know what this boat will do with the 250HP Yamaha. I ordered it with the tritoon pontoon package and their wave glider performance package.

What kind of speed numbers are you seeing with the VMax 250 SHO? I have been thinking about repowering a 26’ Deckboat with this platform.