WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Yard Sale at Boynton Inlet

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
This is why Boynton Inlet is more treacherous than Haulover....... Florida. Turns into a yard sale!

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Once he started surfing...... He should have turned into wave. Hard right in this case. However, he had already f’d up by chickening out in the first place.

In the Boaters defense....... the only way to even see the outside break at Boynton, is too totally commit to running the blind Inlet to the outside. Look at what a nice day it is. I bet he was surprised to see the shore break on such a windless day. I personally like to follow the beach south for approx a quarter mile before I turn towards the break. But it is still intimidating.

Here is how I run Boynton Inlet.....

1. Smoke last cigarette.

2. Finish Beer..... maybe chug another for courage.

3. Put on diaper or big girl panties!

4. Throw on Game Face!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Double fail since first off he could have keep going into the distance, south, to get beyond the break of the ground swell. and then secondly turning the damn boat instead of staying bow into the swell.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
DOH!!
Screenshot_20181226-192304_Google.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Everyone wants to be the captain, until it’s time to do captain shit..

I realize not everyone grew up surfing etc.. but what’s so wrong with running parallel to the shore and find a place where it isn’t breaking? Let alone where sets are coming in?

Generally speaking “sets” are a set of larger waves that come in and break further out, and are much larger than the consistent waves..

For the Midwest guys you will see some surfers sitting farther out than others. They are waiting for a set. In my experience they usually come in twos or threes.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
This video is being followed on many boating sites and especially Facebook. Here is an update.

The Captain is claiming that the reason he turned the boat around is because he was afraid he was going to run over a surfer. His claim does hold water if you look at the beginning of the video, you can clearly see that there are surfers right in front of them. Also, if you look closely, you will see at least 4 people come out of the boat while it is surfing the whitewater. That is also when the dog was ejected from the boat. There was a total of 6 on the boat, including a 4 year old and 2 teenagers. (And dog)

That’s all I know.....

motormonkey

Reaction score
C-Ya, thanks for being the voice of reason. I don't think to many people hear have ever been in the big blue to know it's a crap shoot in small craft.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Well. Doesn’t mention any injuries...... so hopefully all are well. Could have been ugly, or should I say uglier.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
This video is being followed on many boating sites and especially Facebook. Here is an update.

The Captain is claiming that the reason he turned the boat around is because he was afraid he was going to run over a surfer. His claim does hold water if you look at the beginning of the video, you can clearly see that there are surfers right in front of them. Also, if you look closely, you will see at least 4 people come out of the boat while it is surfing the whitewater. That is also when the dog was ejected from the boat. There was a total of 6 on the boat, including a 4 year old and 2 teenagers. (And dog)

That’s all I know.....
Just a guess but I am thinking this one guy in particular that is paddling away from the boat.

8329C9CA-1F62-428C-859F-A40B477D2E51.jpeg

traquer

Reaction score
That looks like a lot of fun.... On a jet ski

Rotten deal

Reaction score
That surfer looked to be in direct line of boat, so probably true. Are they actually surfing in line with the inlet? That’s like surfing in a channel.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I hate to beat a dead horse, but here is the video taken from one of the jet skiers. It gives a different perspective.

ALSO...... Parents get your kids a lifejacket that fits! The video shows why these parents got lucky. Just saying.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
Said it before - money does NOT imply brains, common sense, or experience. I’ve turned down opportunities when the risk was too high, knowing the experience of the guy controlling the event