WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Yard Statue?

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
I purchased a used life size bronze leopard/panther statue (relatively inexpensive) and I’m thinking about pouring a slab in the front yard and anchoring it down (with Hiltis at every point it touches) with some up lights. We have a 1/2 circle driveway and this would be in the island area positioned so it faces the street. It is a heavy piece approximately 4 feet long by 3 feet high.

I see a lot of yard art in Havasu and I like it.

Any thoughts on this?

558E507C-D99D-403B-84E7-86DF7B298363.jpeg
60029D47-7F6F-488E-ADF5-9CBDF053535F.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I like it, but I should tell you up front my wife describes me as gaudy AF.. lol

I wouldn’t mind having a Foubtaib with Atlas and the world on his shoulders in my entry way as a tribute to Tony Montana.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I purchased a used life size bronze leopard/panther statue (relatively inexpensive) and I’m thinking about pouring a slab in the front yard and anchoring it down (with Hiltis at every point it touches) with some up lights. We have a 1/2 circle driveway and this would be in the island area positioned so it faces the street. It is a heavy piece approximately 4 feet long by 3 feet high.

I see a lot of yard art in Havasu and I like it.

Any thoughts on this?

View attachment 1080321 View attachment 1080322
It would look great with a Monkey in a Cowboy Hat riding it, lol.

Taboma

Reaction score
Much scrap value in it ? Or will somebody think there is ? I think it's cool, but then we like cats, large or small.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
I like it, but I should tell you up front my wife describes me as gaudy AF.. lol

I wouldn’t mind having a Foubtaib with Atlas and the world on his shoulders in my entry way as a tribute to Tony Montana.
Lol

True, might be a bit gaudy although softened a bit by the small palms and shrubs that would be adjacent to it.

Taboma

Reaction score
If it were ours, I'd skip the front yard "Statement" and focus on incorporating it into a back yard landscaped feature, with appropriate illumination.
That way you're enjoying it while you're relaxing or entertaining. This also removes it from the temptation of tweakers looking to scrap it and shit-heads from being tempted to deface or vandalize it.
Havasu ain't like it used to be. 😒

Taboma

Reaction score
The yard art is diverse in Havasu.
Big metal bears in one guys yard, space ship in another, stacked bowling balls......or just 5 rusty cars and 3 trailers😁😆
I'm more fascinated with some of the creative mailboxes, can't do that around here with all the mobile bat swingers. :mad:

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Rusty Old farm "equipment" as yard art is big in my neighborhood as most of the lots are acreage for "gentleman" ranchers , they hold it dear < I avoid clutter because when you have property its very easy to collect/attract "stuff" but I've often wondered what would happen if instead of the landfill I started bringing home some of the "beater boats" and trying to make cactus/rock gardens ........ NOT ;)

Last edited:

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know why but this thread brought back a memory from over 50 years ago. I was living at home with my parents in a house up on top of Baldwin Hills (like where that dam ruptured and flooded hundreds of homes). The race boat was stored at the house where I could work on it anytime I needed. Often I'd roll it out of the garage and work or clean on it in the driveway. There was a new owner (a black gentleman) who bought a house six or seven doors up the street. The house was a very nice custom home and in the front yard were two large (about six-feet tall) Grecian statues that were soild pearl white. He had been there less than a month and one day I noticed the statues were no longer 'white' but were now painted solid 'black'. It seemed a little odd at the time, but no big deal, it wasn't my house. The guy was super friendly -- he'd wave everytime he drove by (at all different hours of the day and night, and usually in a different luxury car -- Mercedes, Cadillac, Lincoln, BMW, Etc.). And when the boat was in the driveway he never miseed a chance to stop and have a short conversation. Seemed like a very nice person. Finally one day curiousity got the best of me and I asked him what he did for a living. His reply was "I serve the needs of the people." I didn't press any further but my intuition said he was either running drugs or in to prostitution. Then a couple of months later he seemed to vanish -- no cars up and down the street and no activity around his house. Another couple of months passed, still no sign of him until one day I was browsing through the L.A. Times and on page 3 was his picture and a story with a headline -- Major West Coast Drug Kingpin Arrested in Seattle. That asnswered a lot of questions.

DLC

Reaction score
The yard art is diverse in Havasu.
Big metal bears in one guys yard, space ship in another, stacked bowling balls......or just 5 rusty cars and 3 trailers😁😆
Don’t forget the Dinosaur! On Acoma, It’s always nice drive by to see what’s he has going on

nowski

Reaction score
I think the statue is cool but you may want to keep a close eye on it.

Does anyone remember back when the Dennis the Menace statue was stolen in Monterrey Ca.? Found some 10 years later in Florida...

Attachments

• Dennis.jpg
    Dennis.jpg
    884.4 KB · Views: 42

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Well, I went and did it. Night lights and all. Anchored at 4 spots into the recently poured concrete slab.

Although a minor piece of work, a local Concrete Contractor (Rick Klem) did it for me exactly as we agreed, within the agreed to schedule and at a reasonable cost. Kudos to him.

FC927F8D-7FEF-4FAC-B7F6-3901400EA303.jpeg
5983812D-1754-47BC-AD9A-25CF0299E8D4.jpeg

Berdes

Reaction score
I'm more fascinated with some of the creative mailboxes, can't do that around here with all the mobile bat swingers. :mad:

Working on this one. Antique visible gas pump, from scratch.

Attachments

• Project.jpg
    Project.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 35

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Well, I went and did it. Night lights and all. Anchored at 4 spots into the recently poured concrete slab.

Although a minor piece of work, a local Concrete Contractor (Rick Klem) did it for me exactly as we agreed, within the agreed to schedule and at a reasonable cost. Kudos to him.

View attachment 1171091 View attachment 1171092
Nice to see you got it completed. 👍

callbob

semi flaccid member
Reaction score
Anyone old enough to remember when someone stole the big fiberglass chicken from in front of a restaurant in Yuma and it ended up by the truck scales in Banning. (Chicken coop in trucker talk)