WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Yeah, another pool thread. Final Photos.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Well it's been done for almost two months now and we really love it. I have got quite a few private messages asking questions about it when I posted it before it was done. Hopefully I'm some help. It's not the biggest or the best but it came out like we planned.

Next is a new modern patio couch set for the elevated dry deck area, Ledge Loungers for the wet deck or Baja shelf or whatever you want to call it and new lounge chairs. Man, quality patio stuff is pricey!

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure I answered questions and give some decent info for those of you considering or building a pool.

1. Pavers are a brand called Artistic Pavers. I believe they are out of Arizona. Even when it's 110 degrees, they are cool to the touch. Much more clean and modern than cool deck or some of the other options out there while staying comfortable in the hot sun. They are however porous so I can see how keeping them clean if you wear shoes and such on them all the time would be difficult. No shoes are allowed in our home or back yard so we should be ok.

2. Interior plaster color is Caribbean Blue Quartz. We considered Pebbletech but they just didn't offer this Aruba/Santorini look we were going for. We are not concerned about longevity as we will only be in this home for 4 to 6 years max.

3. Cost. Normally I wouldn't mention cost but if it helps a fellow RDPer with their build I'm ok with it. We were under 57k including the backyard landscaping. To be honest we had three quotes and all were similar in price. We paid cash for each stage of the build and always on time with each payment. However, this didn't make a difference in terms of the quality of work or if they completed things faster or better. We upgraded a few things like more pool lighting but other than that they included the best multi speed pump, and other quality stuff that didn't require an upgrade or more money out of our pocket.

4. Would I use this company again? No. I honestly don't understand how it would have gotten done correctly without us being home so much. From stuff not getting ordered to tile being put in that was completely wrong, to people not showing up until I made a call to see where they were at to reminding them what the next step was in the process. In general they were super incompetent. There was a four week gap of anyone showing up between the hole getting dug to plumbing and rebar. It took three or so weeks longer than planned and I could only imagine if we didn't help get things straight all the time how long it would take.

5. All lighting is Kichler. We recently landscaped and upgraded our court yard too and used this lighting as well. I highly recommend it as its beautiful quality; not cheap but better than most other brands I have seen. Like I mentioned in another thread, even the power box is beautiful quality brushed stainless. It really is nice stuff and I don't think I would use anything else.

6. Wet deck has about 6" of water. The deepest part of the pool is only 4.5 feet. We did this for a few reasons. No matter what, it's really not a big enough pool to dive in and really swim. Shallow water is safer for my wife who isn't the best swimmer and it stays warmer throughout the summer. We do NOT like cold water. The length is about 32 feet and 9.5ft wide. Its perfect for us and really just couldn't justify anything bigger.

7. Check with your HOA on all requirements. It was amazing how many stupid things we had to be sure of. Trees had to have a minimum of 6Feet of brown trunk. Hard scape to landscape couldn't be over 65/35. We had a neighbor not check this and now he may have to tear some of his pool up! What a nightmare.

With that being said; when we number build our next home in a few years we will probably try and sub out the build ourselves. I'm plenty comfortable with the process and what it entails. However, time is always my biggest issue.

Thanks for looking and have a blessed weekend.

It's crazy how much our plants and trees have grown since these photos. They sure pack these tract homes in. I was amazed we could even get a pool in this little yard. I will say, we have our doors open every morning and evening and looking out to the pool is so nice. Makes me feel like we are always on vacation; even when it's too cold to go in.
132719.jpeg

132725.jpeg

Sorry, you cant see it in the first two photos but we have a 3ft wide sheer decent waterfall too. Love that at night as the sound is so soothing.
DSC04819.jpg
20201030_140030.jpg

Last edited:

FishSniper

Reaction score
Well it's been done for almost two months now and we really love it. I have got quite a few private messages asking questions about it when I posted it before it was done. Hopefully I'm some help. It's not the biggest or the best but it came out like we planned.

Next is a new modern patio couch set for the elevated dry deck area, Ledge Loungers for the wet deck or Baja shelf or whatever you want to call it and new lounge chairs. Man, quality patio stuff is pricey!

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure I answered questions and give some decent info for those of you considering or building a pool.

1. Pavers are a brand called Artistic Pavers. I believe they are out of Arizona. Even when it's 110 degrees, they are cool to the touch. Much more clean and modern than cool deck or some of the other options out there while staying comfortable in the hot sun. They are however porous so I can see how keeping them clean if you wear shoes and such on them all the time would be difficult. No shoes are allowed in our home or back yard so we should be ok.

2. Interior plaster color is Caribbean Blue Quartz. We considered Pebbletech but they just didn't offer this Aruba/Santorini look we were going for. We are not concerned about longevity as we will only be in this home for 4 to 6 years max.

3. Cost. Normally I wouldn't mention cost but if it helps a fellow RDPer with their build I'm ok with it. We were under 57k including the backyard landscaping. To be honest we had three quotes and all were similar in price. We paid cash for each stage of the build and always on time with each payment. However, this didn't make a difference in terms of the quality of work or if they completed things faster or better. We upgraded a few things like more pool lighting but other than that they included the best multi speed pump, and other quality stuff that didn't require an upgrade or more money out of our pocket.

4. Would I use this company again? No. I honestly don't understand how it would have gotten done correctly without us being home so much. From stuff not getting ordered to tile being put in that was completely wrong, to people not showing up until I made a call to see where they were at to reminding them what the next step was in the process. In general they were super incompetent. There was a four week gap of anyone showing up between the hole getting dug to plumbing and rebar. It took three or so weeks longer than planned and I could only imagine if we didn't help get things straight all the time how long it would take.

5. All lighting is Kichler. We recently landscaped and upgraded our court yard too and used this lighting as well. I highly recommend it as its beautiful quality; not cheap but better than most other brands I have seen. Like I mentioned in another thread, even the power box is beautiful quality brushed stainless. It really is nice stuff and I don't think I would use anything else.

6. Wet deck has about 6" of water. The deepest part of the pool is only 4.5 feet. We did this for a few reasons. No matter what, it's really not a big enough pool to dive in and really swim. Shallow water is safer for my wife who isn't the best swimmer and it stays warmer throughout the summer. We do NOT like cold water. The length is about 32 feet and 9.5ft wide. Its perfect for us and really just couldn't justify anything bigger.

7. Check with your HOA on all requirements. It was amazing how many stupid things we had to be sure of. Trees had to have a minimum of 6Feet of brown trunk. Hard scape to landscape couldn't be over 65/35. We had a neighbor not check this and now he may have to tear some of his pool up! What a nightmare.

With that being said; when we number build our next home in a few years we will probably try and sub out the build ourselves. I'm plenty comfortable with the process and what it entails. However, time is always my biggest issue.

Thanks for looking and have a blessed weekend.

It's crazy how much our plants and trees have grown since these photos. They sure pack these tract homes in. I was amazed we could even get a pool in this little yard. I will say, we have our doors open every morning and evening and looking out to the pool is so nice. Makes me feel like we are always on vacation; even when it's too cold to go in.
View attachment 937558

View attachment 937559

Sorry, you cant see it in the first two photos but we have a 3ft wide sheer decent waterfall too. Love that at night as the sound is so soothing.
View attachment 937565View attachment 937566
Looks great. What are the pool dimensions ?

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to build a pool in Queen Creek, yard looks about the same size as yours, any suggestions on who to use? I have New Image coming out
Thursday to put in a bid/design.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to build a pool in Queen Creek, yard looks about the same size as yours, any suggestions on who to use? I have New Image coming out
Thursday to put in a bid/design.

If you can find the time to do it, do it yourself. I think my wife and I would have saved no less than 15k to 20k and a bunch of heartache getting our own subs. Winter is the best time to get them as they are not as busy.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
If you can find the time to do it, do it yourself. I think my wife and I would have saved no less than 15k to 20k and a bunch of heartache getting our own subs. Winter is the best time to get them as they are not as busy.
Wish I could, work way too much, I'm just hoping to get a decent contractor.....

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Looks great !!

I can’t even get a company to call back to come look take my money .
And yes , all the big name guys .
Too busy for more work.....
they all have jobs til April

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Lovely home, nice pool.

Glad you got through the build without losing your shit. I almost had a heart attack when I put my pool in 12 years ago.

hahahahahaha! OMG! I was fine as I have become so mellow. I just don't let anything bother me. I used to have a terrible temper and about stuff like that (well everything in general). However, I thought my wife was going to blow a gasket. She was so upset through the whole process.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
Looks great !!

I can’t even get a company to call back to come look take my money .
And yes , all the big name guys .
Too busy for more work.....
they all have jobs til April

Yep and yep. They are loving all the work and will put you off; wait until the flattened curve of economy. They will be clamoring for business or out of business. Same old crap.

calkid

Reaction score
Turned out great! I think there was a different kitty in one of your earlier pictures.

jadenchick

Reaction score
It’s gorgeous!!! Congrats!!! Love everything you guys picked out; great taste.

That is our size in Havasu and we have been trying to get a pool built since April 2020!!!

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
@beaverretriever

On the artistic pavers, did you find a local source for them or was that handled by your builder? I ask because we want them and our builder said that he couldn't find them with out paying extra for shipping (Havasu) Im willing to go get them myself to save some money, as far a phoenix or vegas is easy for me. I think we have an allowance of $10/square foot for pavers @ 450 square feet. Id have to pull the contract to double check

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
@beaverretriever

On the artistic pavers, did you find a local source for them or was that handled by your builder? I ask because we want them and our builder said that he couldn't find them with out paying extra for shipping (Havasu) Im willing to go get them myself to save some money, as far a phoenix or vegas is easy for me. I think we have an allowance of $10/square foot for pavers @ 450 square feet. Id have to pull the contract to double check

The pavers actually come from AZ! Our shitty builder actually sold us on them. They are good, but if you have water systems around them and such like we do and they are damp they do get darker which we are not keen on. However, they are definitely better than cool deck or pavers. Pavers in southern Nv just don't work as they burn the shit out of you and cool deck. The pavers do stay SUPER cool. Even when it is a 110 you can walk on them in bare feet no problem.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
The pavers actually come from AZ! Our shitty builder actually sold us on them. They are good, but if you have water systems around them and such like we do and they are damp they do get darker which we are not keen on. However, they are definitely better than cool deck or pavers. Pavers in southern Nv just don't work as they burn the shit out of you and cool deck. The pavers do stay SUPER cool. Even when it is a 110 you can walk on them in bare feet no problem.

I know they are an AZ company, I may try and get them direct when the time comes. We know we don't want cool deck, or travertine. Regular pavers will work for the look, but, we know they will be hot! Also, with regular pavers, the coping tile becomes an issue.