WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Yeah Yeah Yeah my first boat is a Baja the mustang of the water...

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
What's up RDP! I've been reading the forums for some time now...

I grew up in Tempe boating all around Arizona with my neighbors who owned a few different Eliminators. Wish I could go back to being a little shit going boating with $10 in gas money and a sack lunch...fuck was that the good life!

I bought my own ride back in April of 2018 after a few years of searching. She's a 2003 Baja Outlaw 20' and I'm the 3rd owner. I got her for a steal even though it was turnkey sitting on the factory eagle trailer w/ good tires. We ended up putting about 86hrs on the clock the first season. The original owner must of ordered every single option Baja had at the time because this little kidney puncher is loaded. I've been towing with a little 4.0L Tacoma and have been suprised at how well this cute little Tacoma/Outlaw combo has worked out.

I store my boat in Tempe and splash at Pleasant, Bartlett and Saguaro for the most part. I've trailered the boat over to Havasu a few times and most recently took it up to Powell for a week. She's been in Apache, Canyon and Roosevelt too but we typically day trip closer to the valley. My girl and I like to camp so we're typically bow heavy with all our gear while cruising out to find a cove most friday nights.

We most enjoy anchoring in coves and listening to good music. We seldom take out the slalom ski but we get a little froggy every now and then.

I'm going bigger after this season once the tow rig gets upgraded. I've been spending the last few weeks reading through this forum and a few others about Hallett and Formula boats. I'm pretty set on a Hallett 270s straight hull closed bow exactly like the one in the classifieds section but I'm just won't be ready until next year...

Last edited:

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
The morning we left for Powell
IMG_0001.JPG

BajaMike

Reaction score
Nice @BajaMike! What did you think about the Outlaw out in Powell?

I got to Powell the day before we got the houseboat. 8 people packed all their luggage in the boat, and I launched it, filled it with gas and my two nephews, and it would barely get on plane. I bought a $50 aluminum prop one pitch down, and it was all fine.

Once I unloaded all the luggage and only had one or two people on board, it popped right up for wake-boarders and skiers, and it would hit the rev limiter if I went wide open.

I love Lake Powell!

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Yeah it needs a little tab action to get on plane when im fully loaded with a full tank of gas.

It was the perfect boat to go explore all those little finger canyons on Powell. We had a blast!

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a Baja they're solid boats. A lot better than some of the off brand so-called custom boats you see. My first boat was a Hammer it was a great, it wasn't cut out for Lake Michigan but I tried anyway.

Its cool to see all different places you go, it looks like a great time.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
I agree 100% @SpeedyWho! This boat is rock solid and seams perfectly built for all the lakes we have out here. It's super easy to trailer and self-launch/retrieve so I'm able to get out on the water a lot and take it all over the western US

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Nice boat.

You might get into serious shenanigans if you try to get it to go over 70 mph.

400 sbc with efi should do it. :cool:

Dan'l

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
My buddy has I believe a 24 and handles the Delta well.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
My buddy has I believe a 24 and handles the Delta well.

My buddy had a 24 too which is one of the reasons I went with Baja. I thought the build quality and rigging was great and he kept it up well.

compared to all my friends wake board boats and old flat jets this thing is speedy couch out at the lakes around here. Powell and Havasu had bigger water but It still did great.

Bullet28

Nor Cal Delta
Reaction score
My buddy had a 24 too which is one of the reasons I went with Baja. I thought the build quality and rigging was great and he kept it up well.

compared to all my friends wake board boats and old flat jets this thing is speedy couch out at the lakes around here. Powell and Havasu had bigger water but It still did great.

Yes they are solid boats, we have on some occasions having to with deal with big cruisers and his boat does well.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
It's been fun playing around with weight distribution in the bow and how that affects the tab settings.

define "does well" haha because I have some ideas...

Fltplan

Reaction score
Have you driven a new Mustang, lol. Boat is great as long as you are having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
It's great for my first boat and in incredible condition for 16 years old. I went through the entire trailer during the off season and its now in tip-top shape. Even upgraded to 4-leafs which make towing a breeze.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Yeah it needs a little tab action to get on plane when im fully loaded with a full tank of gas.

It was the perfect boat to go explore all those little finger canyons on Powell. We had a blast!

Just make sure the drive is all the way down at take off and you should be fine. Trim it up at speed for more speed.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
If you go bigger next season you'll notice improvements in everything. I started with a 23' Caravelle Interceptor w/ 350Mag and that thing was fun as all get out to learn on. Made all the rookie mistakes at the ramps, etc..... trailered her everywhere; Powell, Mead, Castaic and took tons of overnights to Catalina out of Newport. Then went a few years without a boat and got the itch again 4 years ago finding a bristol low hours Magic 29' Wizard/ Open bow w/496HO. Boy what a difference in size and bulk. I was pretty intimidated for first few outings but you'll settle in nicely and really appreciate the softer ride quality. That 27' Hallett's a great boat.... step up and enjoy. Take your time and find a cared for low hours boat. No sense in spending +100k for new the way they've been building boats the past many years. Mines a 2006 and no surprises mechanically whatsoever in 4 years of aggressive ocean running.