WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Yellowstone / Grand Tetons... Getting back to basics

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Here are some pics of Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons from last week. I'll throw in some back story and write up on the trip itself a little later.

This trip was definitely needed and really allowed us to appreciate what this great country has to offer.

We took over 600 photos and spent almost a week between Yellowstone, the Grand Teton National Park and Jackson Hole Wyoming.

I'm no photographer but did the best I could to capture just how impressive this place is. The colors are something else.

We've been to a lot of places vacationing within this country (i.e. Hawaii, East Coast, Northeast), but this was one of the most inspiring and scenic. I'll share those moments later.

Trip overview...

Thanks everyone for the kind words. :thumbsup

If you have an opportunity to do a trip through the American Frontier, regardless if you're the outdoors type or not, please take the opportunity and do it! What we saw and what my camera conveys doesn't quite bring the "wow" factor we experienced in person.

The trip started in Southern California with Myself, Wife, two kids, and my 14 year old nephew. We needed a trip that could bring life back to what is really important minus the 100mph pace we seem to have been on the last couple of years.

At the area we were staying in Yellowstone there was no cell service and no WiFi whatsoever, I mean nothing. My iPhone said "No Service" for 3 straight days. That meant no video games(kids), no RDP, and the hardest was no work communication. My phone & iPad are my livelihood so this was a big deal.

Furthermore... We could very easily have lived any one of the threads we've all seen where our friends and fellow inmates have fallen on hard times or just simply struggling with life's challenges. Be it cancer, death, crazy family members, or just making the best choices possible to raise a special needs child... we've lived it to some degree or another. We finally threw up our hands and decided the trip would be about us and our family.

We started off in Southern California. California, Nevada and Arizona for the most part were familiar surroundings and the scenery didn't change much from being dirt ;) . It wasn't until we got a couple hundred miles or so into Utah before the vibe and mood began to change.

We entered Yellowstone through the West Entrance so we came in via Idaho & Montana which allowed us to get about an hour or so view of the backside of the Tetons which we would visit for a few days later in the trip.

We saw Bison, Moose, Bear, Pronghorn and Elk all doing there thing as nature intended. Sometimes a little too close for comfort but it was an experience nonetheless. I don't think my daughter (4 years old) knew that animals live outside of the zoo :smackhead :p

We hit all the usual tourist attractions... West thumb, Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic springs, etc...

Mid week we left Yellowstone after four days and moved the 70 miles south to the Grand Tetons. Although the two national parks are very close and essentially connected... They have very different characteristics and for every similarity they are very much different. By national parks standards Yellowstone is fast paced, sun up to sundown type sight seeing. The Tetons slow the pace of the vacation and allow you to get to some out of the way places (self-guided tours) where you can sit back enjoy a beer while the kids explore 150 year old homesteads long abandoned and the shoreline of the Snake River watching white water rafters, kayakers, and trout fisherman float by.

At one point the family walked off a 100 yards and it was sooo damn quiet it was actually deafening. I don't know how else to describe it but I almost wanted a bus or car to drive by to make a noise because it was this weird hum of pure silence that I wasn't used to :thumbsup

We spent another 4 days in the Tetons and Jackson, WY area and absolutely fell in love with the area. We then packed up after 7 days and headed South back home to California.

I'm not an emotional guy whatsoever but there were little moments I had to catch myself while sitting back watching the kids enjoy the surroundings. In their minds they were a billion miles beyond the moon and truly had absolutely no worries or cares. I assume imagination for the little ones is a good thing and these places have a way of bringing out the best of imagination. :thumbsup

There were times driving through Wyoming exploring where we hadn't seen another car or person for 15 or 20 minutes. But 500 yards off the road in an empty field, nobody or homes in sight... sat a 40's era flat bed farm truck. It looked like it had been left where it died 40 plus years ago. Rusted out with only a shell of a body remaining. But what really got my attention was what was mounted neatly to the bed... A near new American Flag waving in the wind. Not sure why but it really was a patriotic moment for me and one I'll never forget. I looked around the truck at the kids and then caught my wife's eye.

... At that moment we never said a word to each other and just nodded. I'm pretty sure we both had the same thought... "Damn we have a great life and this country is truly awesome!"

I'll share more pics later. Do yourself a favor and see this part of the country. We all learned a little about each other and ourselves in some way. No work, no phone, no video games and no bills. The place is that inspiring... at least for our family it was :thumbsup

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373757850.959848.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373757850.959848.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0533.jpg
    DSC_0533.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0607.jpg
    DSC_0607.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0258.jpg
    DSC_0258.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_0463.jpg
    DSC_0463.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_0498.jpg
    DSC_0498.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0356.jpg
    DSC_0356.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0387.jpg
    DSC_0387.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0403.jpg
    DSC_0403.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0399.jpg
    DSC_0399.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_0385.jpg
    DSC_0385.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0333.jpg
    DSC_0333.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0303.jpg
    DSC_0303.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0305.jpg
    DSC_0305.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0273.jpg
    DSC_0273.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0280.jpg
    DSC_0280.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0272.jpg
    DSC_0272.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0241.jpg
    DSC_0241.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_0228.jpg
    DSC_0228.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0199.jpg
    DSC_0199.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0192.jpg
    DSC_0192.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
more...

Attachments

• DSC_0199.jpg
    DSC_0199.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0192.jpg
    DSC_0192.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0188.jpg
    DSC_0188.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0181.jpg
    DSC_0181.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_0163.jpg
    DSC_0163.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 16
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374368259.157252.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374368259.157252.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 22
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374169680.512687.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374169680.512687.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 15
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374112262.494483.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374112262.494483.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 26

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
What a great trip. The most beautiful part of our nation IMO.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I remember you asking for tips on where to go for this trip last winter. I glad you made it and had such a great time. The American West is an awesome place. Can you imagine being a Fur Trapper and pioneering that land!! Or being a Native American living there before settlement. What a wild place!!

Sent from my iPhone

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I remember you asking for tips on where to go for this trip last winter. I glad you made it and had such a great time. The American West is an awesome place. Can you imagine being a Fur Trapper and pioneering that land!! Or being a Native American living there before settlement. What a wild place!!

Sent from my iPhone

I was just getting ready to give you a big THANK YOU :thumbsup

Your input was awesome and we visited a lot of spots you mentioned. Took my truck & camper to some crazy areas that could only be reached with that combo and four wheel drive lol.

Kids had a blast. Thanks again Kyle for the input.

Here is a few more...

Attachments

• DSC_0257.jpg
    DSC_0257.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0309.jpg
    DSC_0309.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0316.jpg
    DSC_0316.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 20

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
What a great trip. The most beautiful part of our nation IMO.

Some of the most beautiful area's hands down. The amount of American flags and patriotism alone once we got into Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana was impressive. :thumbsup

More later...

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Some of the most beautiful country on the planet, The American West is something else.
It has been a few years since we were up that way. Looking at those pictures makes me want to go again.

Great trip, thanks for sharing.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Dont know how I missed this thread......
WOW! What a trip. Your kids will remember that for ever.
And I like the bear too:D

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
someday!

[video=youtube;4J7ewRlewx0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J7ewRlewx0[/video]

milkmoney

Reaction score
thank you for taking the time for sharing your vacation, good looking family you have, your a lucky guy...I sure miss the beauty of living in the north, not the cold though..:)

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Oh man, killer pics! Did you check out St. Anthony's while you were up there??

I haven't been up there since my kids were about your kids age, and my son is 15 now! Such a great time. Memories for a lifetime right there.

:thumbsup:thumbsup

underpressure

Reaction score
Great pics, thanks for sharing! I used to make an annual trek to the Gros Ventre River for some out of this world trout fishing. Haven't been in many years and now missing it - a lot!

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
hEADING THERE NOW....WILL BE ROLLING IN TOMORROW and staying a week before heading to Sturgis. A trip everybody should make!

Enen

Reaction score
I hopped in the motorhome last summer and went through there on my way to North Dakota. Some of the most beautiful country I have seen.

jet496

Reaction score
That's the trip I've been talking about for along time. I think I'm going to actually plan it now. Great sharing...:thumbup:

Yldboyz

Reaction score
Looks like you and the family are really enjoying yourselves. Great memories for you guys.
Thanks for sharing your experience! :thumbup:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

If you have an opportunity to do a trip through the American Frontier, regardless if you're the outdoors type or not, please take the opportunity and do it! What we saw and what my camera conveys doesn't quite bring the "wow" factor we experienced in person.

The trip started in Southern California with Myself, Wife, two kids, and my 14 year old nephew. We needed a trip that could bring life back to what is really important minus the 100mph pace we seem to have been on the last couple of years.

At the area we were staying in Yellowstone there was no cell service and no WiFi whatsoever, I mean nothing. My iPhone said "No Service" for 3 straight days. That meant no video games(kids), no RDP, and the hardest was no work communication. My phone & iPad are my livelihood so this was a big deal.

Furthermore... We could very easily have lived any one of the threads we've all seen where our friends and fellow inmates have fallen on hard times or just simply struggling with life's challenges. Be it cancer, death, crazy family members, or just making the best choices possible to raise a special needs child... we've lived it to some degree or another. We finally threw up our hands and decided the trip would be about us and our family.

We started off in Southern California. California, Nevada and Arizona for the most part were familiar surroundings and the scenery didn't change much from being dirt ;) . It wasn't until we got a couple hundred miles or so into Utah before the vibe and mood began to change.

We entered Yellowstone through the West Entrance so we came in via Idaho & Montana which allowed us to get about an hour or so view of the backside of the Tetons which we would visit for a few days later in the trip.

We saw Bison, Moose, Bear, Pronghorn and Elk all doing there thing as nature intended. Sometimes a little too close for comfort but it was an experience nonetheless. I don't think my daughter (4 years old) knew that animals live outside of the zoo :smackhead :p

We hit all the usual tourist attractions... West thumb, Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic springs, etc...

Mid week we left Yellowstone after four days and moved the 70 miles south to the Grand Tetons. Although the two national parks are very close and essentially connected... They have very different characteristics and for every similarity they are very much different. By national parks standards Yellowstone is fast paced, sun up to sundown type sight seeing. The Tetons slow the pace of the vacation and allow you to get to some out of the way places (self-guided tours) where you can sit back enjoy a beer while the kids explore 150 year old homesteads long abandoned and the shoreline of the Snake River watching white water rafters, kayakers, and trout fisherman float by.

At one point the family walked off a 100 yards and it was sooo damn quiet it was actually deafening. I don't know how else to describe it but I almost wanted a bus or car to drive by to make a noise because it was this weird hum of pure silence that I wasn't used to :thumbsup

We spent another 4 days in the Tetons and Jackson, WY area and absolutely fell in love with the area. We then packed up after 7 days and headed South back home to California.

I'm not an emotional guy whatsoever but there were little moments I had to catch myself while sitting back watching the kids enjoy the surroundings. In their minds they were a billion miles beyond the moon and truly had absolutely no worries or cares. I assume imagination for the little ones is a good thing and these places have a way of bringing out the best of imagination. :thumbsup

There were times driving through Wyoming exploring where we hadn't seen another car or person for 15 or 20 minutes. But 500 yards off the road in an empty field, nobody or homes in sight... sat a 40's era flat bed farm truck. It looked like it had been left where it died 40 plus years ago. Rusted out with only a shell of a body remaining. But what really got my attention was what was mounted neatly to the bed... A near new American Flag waving in the wind. Not sure why but it really was a patriotic moment for me and one I'll never forget. I looked around the truck at the kids and then caught my wife's eye.

... At that moment we never said a word to each other and just nodded. I'm pretty sure we both had the same thought... "Damn we have a great life and this country is truly awesome!"

I'll share more pics later. Do yourself a favor and see this part of the country. We all learned a little about each other and ourselves in some way. No work, no phone, no video games and no bills. The place is that inspiring... at least for our family it was :thumbsup

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
hEADING THERE NOW....WILL BE ROLLING IN TOMORROW and staying a week before heading to Sturgis. A trip everybody should make!

You're pretty damn lucky. I'd drive the thousand miles right now and do it all over again lol

I hopped in the motorhome last summer and went through there on my way to North Dakota. Some of the most beautiful country I have seen.

Absolutely :thumbup:

That's the trip I've been talking about for along time. I think I'm going to actually plan it now. Great sharing...:thumbup:

Do it :thumbsup

We postponed it numerous times... telling ourselves next year. Next year never came until now. Glad we did it but sorry we waited this long.

cbudge

Reaction score

I don't normally respond much to this site but after reading this I couldn't imagine what it must be like not living in Jackson Hole Wyoming and the greater Yellowstone area. I also happen to be an avid performance boater and have been boating in Lake Havasu for 25 years in the spring and fall. (Our summers are short in Jackson Hole). . If any of you ever get the chance to boat on Jackson Lake which is at the base of the Grand Tetons do it, the views are unbelievable, look me up and I will show you the lake. Our new DCB M-31 looks a little out of place on Jackson Lake, but you will enjoy the views.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 21

Lumpy

Reaction score
[video=youtube;h4DJonFjBYg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4DJonFjBYg[/video]

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I don't normally respond much to this site but after reading this I couldn't imagine what it must be like not living in Jackson Hole Wyoming and the greater Yellowstone area. I also happen to be an avid performance boater and have been boating in Lake Havasu for 25 years in the spring and fall. (Our summers are short in Jackson Hole). . If any of you ever get the chance to boat on Jackson Lake which is at the base of the Grand Tetons do it, the views are unbelievable, look me up and I will show you the lake. Our new DCB M-31 looks a little out of place on Jackson Lake, but you will enjoy the views.

I needed your phone number last week :D

You're very lucky to boat on Jackson Lake. I saw lots of rollbar boats and would love to boat on that lake. Amazing views :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• DSC_0592.jpg
    DSC_0592.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0537.jpg
    DSC_0537.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0543.jpg
    DSC_0543.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0595.jpg