WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Yoder

$hot

To say what? :)
Reaction score
I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on the 640, anyone have experience with Yoder smokers? Got a traeger for Christmas, it’s going back.... Chinese crap👎
This beast weighs 335lbs
1610330292585.jpeg

senorpdog

Reaction score
Yeah I have one with the competition cart best and worst purchase ever. Best purchase because it does everything Wi-Fi works has more than enough grilling area and it’s sturdy as hell they deliver it on a pallet to you. Worst purchase cause I just had to buy my second one for my vacation house. Because once you experience it you will never buy a traeger or green mountain or any of those

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
Yeah I have one with the competition cart best and worst purchase ever. Best purchase because it does everything Wi-Fi works has more than enough grilling area and it’s sturdy as hell they deliver it on a pallet to you. Worst purchase cause I just had to buy my second one for my vacation house. Because once you experience it you will never buy a traeger or green mountain or any of those

WiFi on a BBQ???

Cobalt232

Reaction score
WiFi on a BBQ???
Yep, we have it on our Rectec. You can check your temps without actually looking at the grill. Also, it will let you know when your food is almost done.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on the 640, anyone have experience with Yoder smokers? Got a traeger for Christmas, it’s going back.... Chinese crap👎
This beast weighs 335lbs
View attachment 960398

This is the only smoker I'd buy. A good friend is the western Canadian distributor and he's committed to every one they'll ship him for the next 4 months.
He's always sold lots of them, but since this past May, the business went totally crazy.

Last edited:

Spot

Reaction score
Everyone I know who has a Yoder loves them. To me it's a buy once, cry once scenario. A solid alternative to the Yoder if you want to compare Apples to Apples. Made in America vs Made in America is the Pitts and Spitts. Those things are awesome too. Can't go wrong with either one. Lastly, these things are not even comparable to the GMG and Traeger. These are the Halletts of pellet smokers and are in a class of their own.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
One of my favorite toys I've ever bought. Worth every penny. I use it a lot and it's never skipped a beat. It's a good smoker but it really shines making steaks. I've never had a bad meal on it that wasn't my fault (bourbon induced). It has a FireBoard app that records your cook from temps to notes and you can add pictures. When there's an American Made product that is this good there's no reason to buy a Chinese tin can. I can't recommend it enough.
75504E2E-4457-44C8-9249-A31FD5C366A7.jpeg
9A793A55-FA42-42F6-8474-BA91DE4F949E.jpeg
17DDF8CC-C694-4C81-BA4F-48498529E34F.jpeg
16DCEF84-4A4A-4E29-9743-883C81246837.jpeg

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
WiFi on a BBQ???

My Weber ex4 has it...I can adjust temps anywhere from the app, shutdowns, watch probe temps etc. We have a little bar down the street I'll walk to and keep and eye on what I have smoking...it's kinda cool for that or if you run to the store etc.

McKay

Reaction score
Yes, We have a 640s. Love it, had it about 2 years. No comparison to our traeger. As mentioned above the FireBoard app is bad ass. I can check on my cook while at work and adjust temps if needed. Well worth the upgrade!

FishSniper

Reaction score
This beast weighs 335lbs
View attachment 960398
I went and checked out the Yoder’s and was very impressed. I considered one for the Havasu place but ended up getting a second pit barrel for now but I would rather pay that price for a Yoder vs the others the quality difference was night and day.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
That thing is crazy! Looks like the swat team owns one! I think it’s awesome but I got GMG for 200 and it’s never let me down. Been down the traegar road and like my GMG better.

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
One of my favorite toys I've ever bought. Worth every penny. I use it a lot and it's never skipped a beat. It's a good smoker but it really shines making steaks. I've never had a bad meal on it that wasn't my fault (bourbon induced). It has a FireBoard app that records your cook from temps to notes and you can add pictures. When there's an American Made product that is this good there's no reason to buy a Chinese tin can. I can't recommend it enough. View attachment 960409 View attachment 960420 View attachment 960421 View attachment 960423

What's in that last picture? That looks real good.

petie6464

Reaction score
Hi dollar electric smokers for people that don't know what a smoker is.

Seriously not what you want. Get one of these and you'll be the laughing stock of every grill master.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
My beer fridge is next to the smoker so I don’t use my wifi either. Gotta burn some calories.....

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hi dollar electric smokers for people that don't know what a smoker is.

Seriously not what you want. Get one of these and you'll be the laughing stock of every grill master.

For crazy high end bbq’ers they use Weber ranch kettles, and big verticals etc..

For just straight ease of use though I love my electric treager

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
This beast weighs 335lbs
View attachment 960398

That looks badass!

Pretty much anything these days are better than treager!!

Cole Brewed

Reaction score
To OP, the YS 640 is bad ass if pellet is your choice. It will be a 1 and done purchase. Afriend has 3 of them for comps another friend was greatful to be pushed into the YS 640 been two years and he still loves it.
allthings bbq on YouTube primarily uses YS 640 I’m frequently surprised what he cooks on it.

Last edited:

Zed

Reaction score
I love my Yoder 640, thing is badass. Smoked some pork belly burnt ends yesterday...use it all the time!

dave29

Reaction score
Buddy of mine had a Traeger that bit the dust. He bought a Yoder and just loves it. He wouldn't go back. Now myself.................Myron Mixon insulated gravity feed. I live in Colorado and use that bad boy all year long! 20 degrees out, no problem.
For you guys with uninsulated smokers, throw a welders blanket on it when it's really cold or windy.

Reactions: DWC

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Lol...fuck that shit....I'll gladly stick with my GMG.

Smokers have gone way up in price since I bought my GMG. Shoot I think the same one is closer to 1k now.

Just pushed my buddy towards a grilla grills smoker. I actually like some things on that brand vs gmg for the price.

I would love a yoder or rectec just never had an extra $2500 lying around that i felt like driopping on a smoker.

If you got the chips i say go big!!

Just remember the unit/$$$ doesent make the bbq good I have cooked some bomb bbq on a free ugly drum i made.:D

jones performance

Reaction score
the yoder is badass. its probably the only pellet smoker that has done well and even placed in bbq comps that i participated in. in bbq the smoker has a role in the outcome of the product. my rib recipe i use i have not been able to replicate the results on different smokers as compared to the one i started it on.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I bought a pellet grill this summer. Did a ton of research and its hard to beat a Yoder but I went to a Rec-Tec as it was less than half the cost and still head and shoulders above the Traeger. Totally in love with it and use it multiple times a week. From my understanding, the Rec-Tec and the Yoder perform extremely similar, They are tied in this area. The Yoder is better built, however in 15 or 20 years when the RecTec finally burns out...... I will deal with it then. At that point the Yoder will probably need a full rebuild and cost the same as replacement of the Rec Tec.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Smokers have gone way up in price since I bought my GMG. Shoot I think the same one is closer to 1k now.

Just pushed my buddy towards a grilla grills smoker. I actually like some things on that brand vs gmg for the price.

I would love a yoder or rectec just never had an extra $2500 lying around that i felt like driopping on a smoker.

If you got the chips i say go big!!

Just remember the unit/$$$ doesent make the bbq good I have cooked some bomb bbq on a free ugly drum i made.:D
Yea man....honestly, I just don't use it enough to justify dropping that much coin on one. For that, the GMG is fine. I think mine was about $800. Stainless Bowie...no wifi. Between my propane grill and my griddle...I use the GMG the least now. Shit, I even still use my propane grill with chips or pellets in a box and indirect w/foil and still cook tri tips and stuff alot. Sometimes just easier, faster, and still good ass flavor. 😁

petie6464

Reaction score
For crazy high end bbq’ers they use Weber ranch kettles, and big verticals etc..

For just straight ease of use though I love my electric treager

Actually the best commercial bbq'ers mostley use custom-built wood burning smokers, far from the back yard weekend smoker guy, but you with some skill one can make amazing smoked meats on a few hundred dollar smoker.

Once you move up to a real wood smoker you never look back, most just don't want to invest the time and patience to learn the skill so they settle for expensive electric smokers.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Actually the best commercial bbq'ers mostley use custom-built wood burning smokers, far from the back yard weekend smoker guy, but you with some skill one can make amazing smoked meats on a few hundred dollar smoker.

Once you move up to a real wood smoker you never look back, most just don't want to invest the time and patience to learn the skill so they settle for expensive electric smokers.
I eventually want to go the wood smoker route so you have any you would recommend ?

Xring01

Reaction score
I eventually want to go the wood smoker route so you have any you would recommend ?

Honestly, you want a good Offset smoker... Most of the ones that are built in Texas are damn good ones...
3/16, 1/4 Plates steel, rolled... Mine is 24" deep and 36" wide for the cooking chamber, its holds heat very well...
Its a beast... I have cooked 5-6 Briskets, and had room for other stuff on it at one time. You can feed alot with one that size.

petie6464

Reaction score

I have a Brinkman limited. There are probably better in the same price range.

The brinkmanns need some modifications to the smoke chamber to even out the heat, basically some steel plates to reduce hot end temps and direct it to the cool end. There are Youtube videos on it.

I think any commercial available smoker one needs to spend time with the fire going and learn what it likes using a few thermometers to check heat flow, what size wood pieces to feed it and how to regulate the temp when adding wood etc. It takes some time and patience but once you know your smoker you can throw on some meat and work your magic 😋

There are some small custom builders that make backyard size smokers that look really nice and are certainly more $ but maybe worth it if you find the love for doing it.

If I where into do it over I would have gone the custom route as the fireboxs on the custom ones are way more efficient, thicker steel and insulated to hold heat way better.than the commercial ones.

Last edited:

TeamGreene

Reaction score
I have an Old Country Pecos that I bought from Academy Sports in TX had it shipped to me they are all welded const. and are built with thicker metal than the one's from big box stores.

jones performance

Reaction score

yoder, lang, lonestar grillz, are few of the higher end ones. oklahoma joes is a more budget freindly option to get into stick burners, but you get what you pay for too, and if you like using a stick burner you will upgrade to a better pit at some point.

some west coast builders are fatstack smokers, and harper bbq.

with a stick burner the things you want are heavy thick metal. the additional metal helps keep temps stable and a good insulated or very thick metal firebox will help keep the heat flowing thru the cook chambers. the more efficient the firebox and cook chamber the less wood you use in a cook. the firebox needs to be sized correctly for the cook chamber size as well. the chimney also has to be of proper size so you get a good draft thru the pit.

FishSniper

Reaction score
yoder, lang, lonestar grillz, are few of the higher end ones. oklahoma joes is a more budget freindly option to get into stick burners, but you get what you pay for too, and if you like using a stick burner you will upgrade to a better pit at some point.

some west coast builders are fatstack smokers, and harper bbq.

with a stick burner the things you want are heavy thick metal. the additional metal helps keep temps stable and a good insulated or very thick metal firebox will help keep the heat flowing thru the cook chambers. the more efficient the firebox and cook chamber the less wood you use in a cook. the firebox needs to be sized correctly for the cook chamber size as well. the chimney also has to be of proper size so you get a good draft thru the pit.
Thanks for the info. Gonna look into getting something on the lower end to start with. I currently have a pit barrel which I really like but want to try an offset wood smoker.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
pit barrel's do a really good job themselves. alot of guys win bbq comps with them and the ugly drum smokers. their one downfall is grill space, just like the weber smokey mountain, the kamodo/green eggs. granted i can cook 6 pork shoulders in my weber or 2 full packer briskets, but when it comes to ribs and other things grill space is a premium.
I built a UDS as my first smoker and it works pretty good, the one thing I didn't like is that it's basically smoldering to keep the temp in the correct range but with my offset I can have active fire in the box and still get my pit temp in the range I want it.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
What's in that last picture? That looks real good.
That's a Fattie beef and or sausage outer layer with whatever you want rolled up into a burrito shape then wrapped in a bacon weave. Lots of fun you can put all kinds of stuff in them.