WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Yosemite/Sequoia help

linds

Reaction score
So a few of us here are planning a trip for the week of 4th and are going to his up Yosemite first then drive to Sequoia. Does anyone have input on the drive from Yosemite to Sequoia? Anyone drive with RV's & Trailers from one to the other? Also we're looking at a campground in Three Rivers so we can have full hook ups and not have to use the generator and "rough it" :D Have you driven from Three Rivers into Sequoia NP? Not w/ the trailer or RV but just the trucks so we can do some sight seeing. Any input is appreciated! Thanks guys!;)

TrojanDan

Reaction score
Three Rivers to the entrance of the Park is very close. I'm guessing under half an hour. I would try the other entrance to the park as it is closer to Grant's Grove and the the big trees, plus it's closer to Yosemite and King's Canyon.

My G'parents live in Exeter (near Visalia) which is about 30 mins from Three Rivers. used to go to Lake Kaweah and Three Rivers all the time as kids.

Also, Three Rivers is low in elevation. It will probably be Africa hot during July 4th week. The river is cool to tube in though. Take the other entrance to the Park closer to Fresno and it's an easier drive up the mountain with your RV/Trailer. At least it's cooler higher up.

linds

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I think we were considering heading in this side becuase of the highway 198 that is not good to take w/ any large vehicles (RV's & Trailers). Should we not bother going to Three Rivers that week? Toooooo hot?

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Just an FYI, I know I said this already to SYA, but want dog owners to be aware. You can't take dogs more than 50 feet off the main roads or campgrounds. Just so you know, you'll have to keep Lacey in the trailer if you go on hikes. Not all dogs are content with that. Thankfully, mine are.

linds

Reaction score
Thanks Angie! Lacey doesn't mind staying in the trailer by herself. She does it all the time at the desert. Which is why we want to find a site WITH Elec. hook ups so we can run the AC for her and Mock's dog. But just to make sure, she wouldn't be able to go anywhere inside the park right? Just so I know. Is July TOO HOT for Three Rivers? It's the first of July. I went when I was 5 or 6 so I don't remember. THANKS!

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
You can walk her around the campgrounds, she just can't be on the hiking trails or 50 feet off the road. And, of course, must be leased at all times. We took Dixie and she was fine. Stayed in the camper or truck when we were hiking (June at Yellowstone is only about 70-75 degrees) and was happy just to be at camp with us tied on a long line. Funny thing, when the moose came through our campsite, I don't know if she didn't notice it, or didn't care. She was awake, but oblivious LOL

TrojanDan

Reaction score
I did a quick google search for "Three Rivers California July weather" and this was the first site:

http://www.idcide.com/weather/ca/three-rivers.htm

Just as I thought, pretty hot. Three Rivers is not very high in altitude. The scenery there will be very dry and not very pretty compared to the higher elevations of the National Park. From what I remember, there is a lot of poison oak in the area too if you plan on taking your dog. I'm not discouraging you to go to Sequoia, just find another camping area. The area around Hume Lake is also great but July 4th week will probably be the busiest week of the year up there.

linds

Reaction score
You can walk her around the campgrounds, she just can't be on the hiking trails or 50 feet off the road. And, of course, must be leased at all times. We took Dixie and she was fine. Stayed in the camper or truck when we were hiking (June at Yellowstone is only about 70-75 degrees) and was happy just to be at camp with us tied on a long line. Funny thing, when the moose came through our campsite, I don't know if she didn't notice it, or didn't care. She was awake, but oblivious LOL

We leave Lacey in the trailer when we take off on rides at the desert and she seems happy sometimes so she can catch up on her sleep. I love it! If we're hooked up to elec and have the dogs should be fine then. I'm stressing now planning! She doesn't get left at home too often but 3 nights at the most so I couldn't leave her for 10 days at home alone. She's our kid :D Thanks Angie!

linds

Reaction score
I did a quick google search for "Three Rivers California July weather" and this was the first site:

http://www.idcide.com/weather/ca/three-rivers.htm

Just as I thought, pretty hot. Three Rivers is not very high in altitude. The scenery there will be very dry and not very pretty compared to the higher elevations of the National Park. From what I remember, there is a lot of poison oak in the area too if you plan on taking your dog. I'm not discouraging you to go to Sequoia, just find another camping area. The area around Hume Lake is also great but July 4th week will probably be the busiest week of the year up there.

That's what I've been reading too and why I've been trying to get more info than I can find... so I appreciate your google search! Another issue we have is making the drive from Yosemite to Sequoia w/ the RV's & Trailers w/o having to take the 198. Decisions decisions! :confused::D

TrojanDan

Reaction score
You see big tourist buses driving that highway so I don't think it should be a problem with your rv and trailer. If you are going from Yosemite to Sequoia, why are you driving back down to the 198? I think the 180 is a straighter shot without a lot of crazy curves. Shaver Lake and Lake Huntington are also killer lakes in the vicinity.

linds

Reaction score
You see big tourist buses driving that highway so I don't think it should be a problem with your rv and trailer. If you are going from Yosemite to Sequoia, why are you driving back down to the 198? I think the 180 is a straighter shot without a lot of crazy curves. Shaver Lake and Lake Huntington are also killer lakes in the vicinity.

We won't be taking that rode. From the map I was looking at the 180 didn't look like it would take you there. but it does? Then we're set. Maybe we should check out those lakes before committing to Three Rivers? like I said... decisions decisions! Thanks for your help!

boatnam2

Reaction score
great trucks imo... whoops sorry wrong thread..

oldschool

Reaction score
You should think about skipping Three Rivers and staying in Sequoia. It will be hot in Three Rivers and the place doesn't have much to offer. You may want to try the Lodgepole campgrounds, I know they get booked up on big weekends so try to book it early. As far as driving, 198 is fine till you get past Lake Kaweah, then it gets a little tight. Also, I think there are limitations on trailer size in the park. I believe they have a website that should have alot of the info.