WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

[WTS] You a car guy? 2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8

Halvecto

Reaction score
Phaeton.jpg
2004 Volkswagen Phaeton V8
$5,900

Some background:
The 2004 Los Angeles Auto Show. Dad and I have gone to his show regularly since I was a young boy. Dinner at The Pantry, then walk over to the Car Show. Been doing it for over 30 years.

I am a Audi-VW fan. I've had many variations of both brands.

We both admired, sat in, discussed the Volkswagen Phaeton (the first year of production) and walked away agreeing it was the most impressive vehicle at the show. Fast forward to 2011. I sold my Audi Q7; began looking for a replacement and decided to possibly find a Phaeton. I could only find 12 for sale in the USA. I knew it was a car well before it's time and was the pet project of then VW President Piech. He wanted to build a competitor to the BMW 7 series, the Lexus LS, Audi A8 (sister car) and the MB 500 series.

I am the third owner. Original owner purchased in Washington state, I found it in Pasadena, CA from a seller that frankly didn't know all he had. What a car to own. I am fortunate, I have an excellent independent VW mechanic (German Autohaus) and a fantastic dealership (Galpin VW) nearby.

I love the stealthy nature of this car. I don't like driving LAM cars and my pocketbook doesn't either.

Kids are gone, consolidating vehicles. Time has come for me to give someone a chance to enjoy, by far, the most terrific vehicle I have owned. Car is a bit North of Los Angeles (SCV). Been a great ride. No complaints. I knew what I had and even with the persnickety nature of the vehicle, every day is a joy to drive it.

If you are a car guy/gal you will appreciate the Frankenstein nature of this vehicle. If not, it looks like a VW on steroids. It's likely you'll either get it or you won't. Car fanatics will instantly notice the vehicle at parking structures or valet. Fun to see them curious. Only 1200 imported to USA in 2004. Car listed for $75k new.

Audi 4.2L V8. (350 hp)
Quattro AWD
Air adjustable (height & stiffness) suspension. Picture above; suspension is in UP position.
Bentley Flying Spur chassis (steel frame)
Bentley Flying Spur suspension, electronics, HVAC
Butter soft perforated leather seats.
Burled walnut accents
Heated and A/C front seats.
Back seat is HUGE room.

This is a great driver's road car. Heavy, smooth, quiet.
155k miles.
Everything works
Genuine Bentley 19' wheels
No accidents
Non-smoker
No door dings or dents (few nicks, scrapes. It is 15 years old)
I have consistently maintained this vehicle. Full list of repairs and maintenance available.
I would call it immaculate, considering it's age.
Within last 3 years:
*New front suspension (struts and bushings)
*Replaced Transmission 145k miles (installed rebuilt w/ 75k miles on it). Will go another 75-100k miles.
*Brakes (<5k miles)
*Fuel Pump
*A/C Compressor
*Oil cooler
*Kessy (computer brain)
*Steering column electronics

This is a good video describing the vehicle: VW Phaeton

Here is the CL listing (with pics and description).

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/santa-clarita-2004-vw-phaeton-v8/6973137781.html

Last edited:

CanyonLakeDave

Reaction score
When these were new I was fortunate to have been in the VW/Audi aftermarket industry. We manufactured parts for these Marks allowing me access to “press cars” and the Pheaton was always my first choice. Many hours of seat time and I still talk about how amazing a car it is. In fact at the time I had a new MBZ S500 and was quoted the “I only wish my S-Class was the car the Pheaton is”. GLWTS great car

Halvecto

Reaction score
When these were new I was fortunate to have been in the VW/Audi aftermarket industry. We manufactured parts for these Marks allowing me access to “press cars” and the Pheaton was always my first choice. Many hours of seat time and I still talk about how amazing a car it is. In fact at the time I had a new MBZ S500 and was quoted the “I only wish my S-Class was the car the Pheaton is”. GLWTS great car

Thanks. You get it. It is a fantastic vehicle. I, too, have driven many cars. This is my favorite; whether long road trip with temp controlled massaging driver's seat or ripping up mtn roads in sport mode while paddle shifting, it allows the driver to get the interaction desired.