ultra26shadow

Reaction score
Clark had a McCulloch? Lol
F8B6C983-E2AE-4B5A-8D2E-93CC96E2B384.jpeg

Fixed the newel post!! 😂

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I worked at McCulloch Chain Saws for a few months when they were still out by LAX, mid '70s. Started out on the assembly line, putting glue on cork circle gaskets and inserting them into the side covers, hoping not to end up backed up like Lucy and Ethel. Got moved over to the pot metal punch. It was this huge multi-ton behemoth that slammed down and punched the various casings and covers out of a 3' x 5' sheet of molded pot metal. You put the sheet into the punch/mold, and then retrieved the punched out parts. Wore gloves that had ropes and pulleys attached to them, that pulled your hands out of the way when the punch came down, so you wouldn't lose your hands and most of your lower arm.

When they were phasing out the LA plant, they offered a bunch of us 100% relocation costs, all rent/utility deposits and 2 months rent to move to Havasu, when that plant was expanding. Havasu had no waves, and Manhattan Beach had my girlfriend, so I turned it down. I eventually quit when I saw two guys get into a fight in "Quality Control" (AKA saw testing). They nearly killed each other, sliced to a bloody mess, and McCulloch covered it all up.

4Waters

Reaction score
I worked at McCulloch Chain Saws for a few months when they were still out by LAX, mid '70s. Started out on the assembly line, putting glue on cork circle gaskets and inserting them into the side covers, hoping not to end up backed up like Lucy and Ethel. Got moved over to the pot metal punch. It was this huge multi-ton behemoth that slammed down and punched the various casings and covers out of a 3' x 5' sheet of molded pot metal. You put the sheet into the punch/mold, and then retrieved the punched out parts. Wore gloves that had ropes and pulleys attached to them, that pulled your hands out of the way when the punch came down, so you wouldn't lose your hands and most of your lower arm.

When they were phasing out the LA plant, they offered a bunch of us 100% relocation costs, all rent/utility deposits and 2 months rent to move to Havasu, when that plant was expanding. Havasu had no waves, and Manhattan Beach had my girlfriend, so I turned it down. I eventually quit when I saw two guys get into a fight in "Quality Control" (AKA saw testing). They nearly killed each other, sliced to a bloody mess, and McCulloch covered it all up.
So, did the saws pass QC? Inquiring minds want to know 🤣

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score

I grew up just down the block from there. The neighborhood behind the hotel at Century and Aviation.

We’d walk over to the factory in the early 70s (72-ish) and drool over the go cart in the window.

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score
I grew up just down the block from there. The neighborhood behind the hotel at Century and Aviation.

We’d walk over to the factory in the early 70s (72-ish) and drool over the go cart in the window.
Was that in the area called "Manchester Square"? The neighborhood in between Century, Aviation, Arbor Vitae, and La Cienega? If so, we lived there from 1958 - '62, until parents separated and sold the house. I went to 98th St. School K-2nd. Our house was on the corner of Hindry and Hindry, where the red X is. Long before LAX condemned it, took everything via eminent domain and the homeless moved in.

WC.jpg

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Was that in the area called "Manchester Square"? The neighborhood in between Century, Aviation, Arbor Vitae, and La Cienega? If so, we lived there from 1958 - '62, until parents separated and sold the house. I went to 98th St. School K-2nd. Our house was on the corner of Hindry and Hindry, where the red X is. Long before LAX condemned it, took everything via eminent domain and the homeless moved in.

View attachment 1070064
Dang, small world. Same neighborhood. We lived on 99th place about a small block from 98th street school. 1970 to 1982 or so. We rented the back of a duplex.

Shame about the neighborhood. Ironically, we lived on Lilienthal Street where LAX‘s Lot C currently stands. We were forced from there in the 60s and moved to Manchester Square as a result.

(edited for brevity)

Last edited: