WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

You guys ever play with the website Yacht Tracker? Pretty cool

Tank

Reaction score
I've used it off and on just to see where certain yachts are but played with it a little further today looking into where the yacht MY GO was after it's crash into the dock (it's still in St. Martin).

Anyway, system works like air traffic but for ships, yachts, people travel across seas etc. You can search any yacht and find it's location. Cool to play around with.

dspracing

Reaction score
I have spent way too much time on that site. Trying to resist clicking on it right now....

Tank

Reaction score
I like how you can search where yachts are. Like HODOR is in La Paz and Lonian (sister ship) is in Cabo. Or one of my favorite yachts of all times Eclipse (owned by Russian billionaire) is down south of St. Martin where GO is as well. The late Paul Allan's Octopus is in Spain. I don't know why, it's just cool. Kinda voyeuristic. :oops: 😁

It's also pretty cool to zoom way out on the map feature and see how many freakin ships and yachts are out cruising around. Then zoom in on a spot and see who's there.

c_land

Reaction score
They got a 21 footer in canyon lake 🤷‍♂️

1614274416989.png

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Lots of shit going down on Fla

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
I love it and find it amazing. I've tracked friends yachts, or my buddy offshore Oregon Salmon fishing. I've tracked a few neighbors and relatives on cruises as well.
My take away is --- how the hell, with so much vessel traffic, seemingly everywhere, can anybody be lost at sea for more than a day or so ???

I believe depending on the vessels size and criteria available information can be hidden, delayed, or filtered depending on the desire of the owners. I do not believe the information being viewed is always current and much of that depends on your membership status.
Under some circumstances broadcasting your current position live publicly might not be desirable.

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
That’s why I live here
Was in Arizona for 22 years for the most part All Republican
I move to Florida full time it turns Dem

LuckyStrike

Just Plain Crazy
Reaction score
Of corse I’ve been here for my life with Several kick ass pads both East And West Coast of Florida All my Adult life

RodnJen

Reaction score
Yes, fun. We saw a boat while staying in San Diego a few years back. Stumbled on Yacht Tracker then, crazy stuff.

Last edited:

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I use it all the time.
I work in Rio Vista which is along the Sacramento river 30 miles or so south of Sac.
Bulk cargo ships travel to Sac through the Rio Vista bridge. A freighter going up or down river can stop traffic for up to half an hour on hwy 12 at the bridge. It's kind nice knowing if a ship is heading our way.

beerrun

Reaction score
That's cool I have been on the M/Y Triton down in cabo looks like its up in Seattle now

Taboma

Reaction score
I snoop on the San Diego fishing boats to see where they heading and compare to the fish reports, helps with planning trips.

I do that as well, as much as the individual boat info might be a day or more old, some is current and if you watch it for a couple of days, you can see where the majority of the fleet is going or at least has been. I know when my son hired a charter for his company out of SD, where it went and where I saw it, were different, the position shown wasn't current.
I'm not clear on how the regulations work on commercial or passenger for hire boats and ships. I know my buddy has it on his commercial fishing trawler in Oregon, but only uses it on occasion, especially when he's out overnight so he can be seen. Plus according to him, what subscribers see and what's available for free are not the same either.
The Cruise ships I've tracked are the most current, so perhaps it's required ? Or maybe so friends and relatives can track them ?

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
I do that as well, as much as the individual boat info might be a day or more old, some is current and if you watch it for a couple of days, you can see where the majority of the fleet is going or at least has been. I know when my son hired a charter for his company out of SD, where it went and where I saw it, were different, the position shown wasn't current.
I'm not clear on how the regulations work on commercial or passenger for hire boats and ships. I know my buddy has it on his commercial fishing trawler in Oregon, but only uses it on occasion, especially when he's out overnight so he can be seen. Plus according to him, what subscribers see and what's available for free are not the same either.
The Cruise ships I've tracked are the most current, so perhaps it's required ? Or maybe so friends and relatives can track them ?

I use Ship Tracking and not all boats broadcast their location but at least you can get a general idea if you are going to be heading west or south. Makes a difference on what gear I bring.

Taboma

Reaction score
I use Ship Tracking and not all boats broadcast their location but at least you can get a general idea if you are going to be heading west or south. Makes a difference on what gear I bring.

Sure beats the old days of leaving in the wee AM and following the illumination on the horizon. 😁

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I've used it off and on just to see where certain yachts are but played with it a little further today looking into where the yacht MY GO was after it's crash into the dock (it's still in St. Martin).

Anyway, system works like air traffic but for ships, yachts, people travel across seas etc. You can search any yacht and find it's location. Cool to play around with.

Sometime I track Brett on "find friends". But the boat don't move!

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I know that the ships I track up and down the Sacramento river are exactly where they're shown. I can see them go under the bridge from my yard.

Taboma

Reaction score
I know that the ships I track up and down the Sacramento river are exactly where they're shown. I can see them go under the bridge from my yard.

When I tracked cruise ships they were extremely accurate. I emailed my neighbor down along the South American coast he was about to be passed by another Cruise ship who was very close to his. He emailed back that he looked out the window during dinner and sure enough they were getting passed. I know my buddy's boat is strictly voluntary and when he's fishing, it's off. He turns it on at night mostly or in inclement weather when he wants to be seen.

This is the cliff note answer --- This explains why the ships are visible but not all private yachts are and also why sports fishing boats aren't real time. Unless I suppose their insurance requires it ??

The regulation requires AIS to be fitted aboard all ships of 300 gross tonnage and upwards engaged on international voyages, cargo ships of 500 gross tonnage and upwards not engaged on international voyages and all passenger ships with 150 or more persons, irrespective of size. The requirement became effective for all ships by 31 December 2004.

This, the far more complicated version from the Navigation Center US Dept of Homeland Security --- Oh, those guys. 😖

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
The next time you see a hurricane threatening South Florida...... check Yacht Tracker! It looks like a exodus of biblical proportions. Lol

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
You can follow all of the SVs from the youtube channels on there like Delos, Zatara,Zingaro,Archer etc.👍

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Can we use this to track Dave’s father in law on his trip from
Mexico to Alaska?
That would be a cool thread

Taboma

Reaction score
Can we use this to track Dave’s father in law on his trip from
Mexico to Alaska?
That would be a cool thread

Only if he has AIS installed and turned on. Unless required by his insurance carrier, it wouldn't otherwise be a legal requirement on his vessel.

Taboma

Reaction score
Found an interesting article on AIS Cloaking.
Seems as much as we find it entertaining to view the locations of ships and yachts, because AIS (Automatic Identification System) allows a vessel to be seen, others are using that public information for nefarious purposes, like pirating.
So in certain "At Risk" hot spots, as a counter measure, ship masters are allowed to cloak, or turn off their AIS. Would seem in doing so it creates other risks, such as being suspect of violating sanctions, or your insurance requirements.