WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

You thought your tenant was gonna pay their rent? APRIL FOOLS COVID STYLE

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
So Los Angeles rolled out some extreme COVID protection for rental tenants, and guess what - everyone is automatically taking advantage.
Why wouldn't they?

I have 3 friends who's rental tenants all have advised they can't pay their rent right off the bat, 2 weeks into this shutdown. A play out of the Cheesecake factory book!

CA is basically making it possible for you to live 12 months rent-free before eviction due to COVID impacts. This is gonna get ugly and move the problem upstream pretty quick.....

Will I get evicted?
In the city of Los Angeles, renters who cannot pay their rent because of economic hardship or because their health has been affected by the coronavirus are not allowed to be evicted. If a family has needed to move in due to the virus and therefore, this increases the number of people living under a roof permitted under their lease - they are protected.
Furthermore, Los Angeles renters have up to a year after the city's emergency order expires to pay back rent. Also, all late fees for nonpayment will be waived.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I got news for ya, as a former landlord in CA:
Even before COVID, renters could stop paying rent, and continue to live for free, in your property for months while they hired shitbag pro-bono lawyers to drag things out seemingly forever.

Happened to me during the recession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PlanB

Reaction score
We have a rental on the East coast that I am wondering about, but at least we don't owe anything on it.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I got news for ya, as a former landlord in CA:
Even before COVID, renters could stop paying rent, and continue to live for free, in your property for months while they hired shitbag pro-bono lawyers to drag things out seemingly forever.

Happened to me during the recession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This seems to take it from 6 months to 12 months, and way easier to get a year free rent. No bueno

hallett21

Reaction score
My mom has one in Ventura county. 2 weeks ago guy emails her saying he can pay April but will probably not pay May

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIVERDAZE

Reaction score
The have 12 months to pay back unpaid rent. They can only delay payment on months that the city is under the protection order.
Either way your F-ed but they dont get 12mo free rent on what is written above.

thmterry

Reaction score
My money is made from rentals and I am scared right now. Most of my renters are still able to pay rent. That being said my one millennial tenant is already looking for ways not to pay. Wonder if we can evict on something other then not paying rent, like not taking care of property. Research will have to be done.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
The fraud will be rampant ........ What an opportunity for those scandals!

And the "you and me taxpayers" will cover the losses...

If I get a check from the gov it will go directly to a charity or somebody I see that's truly hurting

Do people realize when the gov steps in to bail out the big corps and now virtually anybody who reports a loss it's actually on the tax payers?

I believe they think it grows on trees Gimme, Gimme, Gimme

And where's our saviors, Joe and Bernie? Bueller?, Bueller?

gqchris

Reaction score
My money is made from rentals and I am scared right now. Most of my renters are still able to pay rent. That being said my one millennial tenant is already looking for ways not to pay. Wonder if we can evict on something other then not paying rent, like not taking care of property. Research will have to be done.

I would not foresee anyway to evict someone right now. But I could be wrong.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Good luck on any eviction right now.

I am lucky that both my tenants still have income streams. Not to say they are not affected but they are not in serious trouble.

J&k beer can

Reaction score
i read that you cant do anything till end of may..
so if thats the case i will be at the court house filing papers on june 1 if they dont pay..

we dont get a free ride so there not getting free ride..
yes i will be a jerk... but its a business. signed agreement by all parties involved..

Rayson1971

Reaction score
Mortgage companies are rewriting loans to defer payments 60 days. My sister in law works for B of A in that department and she's busy as shit coming it from home even.

RichL

Reaction score
It's not just there. Locally after a week there's a group trying to unionize and is already declaring a rent strike against local landlords. I've got a house I'm trying to fill right now and almost not sure it's a good idea

EPL

Reaction score
So Los Angeles rolled out some extreme COVID protection for rental tenants, and guess what - everyone is automatically taking advantage.
Why wouldn't they?

I have 3 friends who's rental tenants all have advised they can't pay their rent right off the bat, 2 weeks into this shutdown. A play out of the Cheesecake factory book!

CA is basically making it possible for you to live 12 months rent-free before eviction due to COVID impacts. This is gonna get ugly and move the problem upstream pretty quick.....

Will I get evicted?
In the city of Los Angeles, renters who cannot pay their rent because of economic hardship or because their health has been affected by the coronavirus are not allowed to be evicted. If a family has needed to move in due to the virus and therefore, this increases the number of people living under a roof permitted under their lease - they are protected.
Furthermore, Los Angeles renters have up to a year after the city's emergency order expires to pay back rent. Also, all late fees for nonpayment will be waived.

First off it doesn't say they don't have to pay rent for a year !! What it say is they have up to a year to pay there back rent after the emergency order expires !! So if in 3 months the emergency order is lifted and they owe 3 months rent they have a year to get caught up with the rent !!

Also the just can't pay rent they have to prove that they aren't able to pay , they just can't stop paying rent if they are still working !!

EBT531

Reaction score
So far so good with our AZ/NV renters but I expect the problems are coming. One already didn't pay yesterday, I'm sure that number will increase with all of the news coverage on not paying rent etc..

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Lost my renters because no one could move them - Thanks Covid 19.

UD

dribble

Reaction score
What a shit show. Embarrassing what the State does to property owners.

Not only this state. I have friends who had rentals in Tennessee. Their tenants took the hardwood cabinets off the walls and burned them in the fireplace for heat. It took them five months to get them out.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
The have 12 months to pay back unpaid rent. They can only delay payment on months that the city is under the protection order.
Either way your F-ed but they dont get 12mo free rent on what is written above.
Yea, but if they're
First off it doesn't say they don't have to pay rent for a year !! What it say is they have up to a year to pay there back rent after the emergency order expires !! So if in 3 months the emergency order is lifted and they owe 3 months rent they have a year to get caught up with the rent !!

Also the just can't pay rent they have to prove that they aren't able to pay , they just can't stop paying rent if they are still working !!
If they don't care about screwing their credit up, they can use this to squat for a year before being evicted. Then you gotta chase your back-rent down in court. That's the way it can end up.....

gqchris

Reaction score
It's not just there. Locally after a week there's a group trying to unionize and is already declaring a rent strike against local landlords. I've got a house I'm trying to fill right now and almost not sure it's a good idea

No way in hell would I fill a house with renters right now. The risk is just too high! You may get a first rent default and be stuck 12 months with squatters. Maybe if they are inmates from here and can be vouched for. But otherwise, heck no!

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score

The moratorium on evictions applies to all evictions regardless of cause. The courts are flat out refusing to hear any eviction filing period.

I would be careful after the moratorium is lifted with trying to find a cause for eviction unrelated to unpaid rent. I can assure you that there will be many landlords trying this and the courts are not stupid, you could be putting yourself into a potential liability situation that may not end well for you.

RIVERDAZE

Reaction score
Yea, but if they're

If they don't care about screwing their credit up, they can use this to squat for a year before being evicted. Then you gotta chase your back-rent down in court. That's the way it can end up.....

OH, I get it and feel for you, your rights as a landlord were taken from you, and you cant do shit about it... CA and Los Angeles basically said dont pay your rent!

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
We only had two renters that started claiming hardship, All others we let them know that if they continue to pay on time, we will not give them a rent increase next renewal of the lease. a few of our longer term tenants got new carpet, etc as a Thank you for paying and not taking advantage of the new loopholes.

EPL

Reaction score
Yea, but if they're

NO true once the emergency order is lifted they are required to pay the current rent or you can evict them as soon as the miss a months rent !!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
NO true once the emergency order is lifted they are required to pay the current rent or you can evict them as soon as the miss a months rent !!
You might be living in dream world, getting a tenant out after 1-month of non payment? Not in CA!

EPL

Reaction score
M
OH, I get it and feel for you, your rights as a landlord were taken from you, and you cant do shit about it... CA and Los Angeles basically said dont pay your rent!
Maybe you should read before typing !! NO place does it say they don't have to pay rent , it says you can't evict them for not paying rent if they are effected by the Corona viris such as laid off or ill !! They still have to pay the rent after the emergency order is lifted !!

EPL

Reaction score
You might be living in dream world, getting a tenant out after 1-month of non payment? Not in CA!

I didn't say you were going to get them out after one month , I said they can live there for a year with out paying rent !! Also in Northeren California we can get people out in a couple of months if they want to try and stay !!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I didn't say you were going to get them out after one month , I said they can live there for a year with out paying rent !! Also in Northeren California we can get people out in a couple of months if they want to try and stay !!
So we agree that under these COVID modified eviction rules, they can live in your house for 1 year without paying rent. They will owe you money on the back end, and you may (or may not) get paid after going to court and squeezing the turnip. Lol

78Southwind

Reaction score
Hahahaha thats a short term rental, I can pretty much kick you out in 24 hours ;)

I was wondering about this with my short-term rental in Arizona. I had a cancellation for April because of Covid 19 then right away I got several requests through VRBO to rent my place but they seemed kind of scammy. I thought what if I get someone that wants to rent the place for a week or even a month and then they just squat during this mess. I am not sure if Arizona is a state where 30 day residence results in tenant rights or not. I contacted my insurance company to see if this is something that my insurance covers. They said no but they would cover the lost income for other reasons. What is kind of interesting is that they also said I was covered for the liability in case someone got sick from Covid 19 due to renting my short-term rental.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I was wondering about this with my short-term rental in Arizona. I had a cancellation for April because of Covid 19 then right away I got several requests through VRBO to rent my place but they seemed kind of scammy. I thought what if I get someone that wants to rent the place for a week or even a month and then they just squat during this mess. I am not sure if Arizona is a state where 30 day residence results in tenant rights or not. I contacted my insurance company to see if this is something that my insurance covers. They said no but they would cover the lost income for other reasons. What is kind of interesting is that they also said I was covered for the liability in case someone got sick from Covid 19 due to renting my short-term rental.
I'm not sure if 30 days+ qualifies them for "long term" tenants rights, but i know that less than that, they are bound by your rental terms and conditions and you can get them out if needed.

Dana757

Reaction score
I plan on paying mine even though the landlord said he'd work with me. I told him I'll save that if I ever really need it. Now the landlord of my shop space reduced rent by 1/2 for the next 2 months. I do plan to take him up on HIS offer. Pretty cool guy if you ask me.

78Southwind

Reaction score
I'm not sure if 30 days+ qualifies them for "long term" tenants rights, but i know that less than that, they are bound by your rental terms and conditions and you can get them out if needed.

I am reading some old blogs of someone that went through a squatter situation in a short-term rental and they said that in CA 30+ rental days gives the renters tenants rights. They ended up lawyer-ing-up. I haven't found anything about Arizona yet.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...BlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-techtopstories

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airbnb-squatters/index.html

It even get's more odd the guys name is Maksym Pashanin. The first name spelled backwards MySkam.... 😂

https://www.polygon.com/2014/7/27/5941641/airbnb-squatter-update-comment

It looks like it took a couple months to get their condo back.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/mon.../08/20/airbnb-palm-springs-squatter/14362779/

Last edited:

lIQUIDATEDdAMAGES

Reaction score
My wife just texted me that our landlord came up today and told us to take $1000 off our rent payment for the next three months due to the COVID deal. Pretty sure they don’t need the money and they are our neighbors that we get along with well but I’m on the fence as our incomes have not yet been affected. Sometimes it sucks having a conscience...

EPL

Reaction score
So we agree that under these COVID modified eviction rules, they can live in your house for 1 year without paying rent. They will owe you money on the back end, and you may (or may not) get paid after going to court and squeezing the turnip. Lol
NO they can't live there for 1 year without paying rent if this is over in 3 months !! What the law is saying is that once the emergency order is over they have to start paying the current rent but have up to 1 year to pay ther back rent !! The only way they can live there for a year without paying rent is if this corona viris keeps going for a year !!

77hallett

Reaction score
Not sure if it was asked... but what if you decide to put it up for sale since they aren’t able to pay? I have a property in Arkansas and was thinking about this. If they come out and say they can’t pay, then I’ll put it up for sale since I’ll be paying the mortgage out of pocket anyways.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
They cannot live there for free for one year but if this goes on they can and when it's over they will move out then you have to deal with lawyers and government bullshit we have apts always do a drive by just to see how many people are living in your unit is it still. 2 or there mybe new friends shack up charge extra for new people don't say raising rent then you ha

Boat 405

Reaction score
It usually depends upon how you are paid. If you are paid 100% in full in advance or if you take month to month payments. I think in Arizona if you take month to month payments, tenant/landlord laws apply. If you take 100% in full in advance I believe innkeeper laws apply and can remove occupants at will.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
My tenants are self employed so on occasion I work with them on when the rent gets paid to jive with when their checks come in for big jobs...I’m supposed to see a check tomorrow. We’ll see. The good news is, I’m paid up on everything including property taxes (took them 3 weeks to deposit that) and there’s still enough in the piggy bank for a while.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I can see a Class Action Lawsuit happening against the State of California. The property owners have been left holding the bill with this new rule without any reimbursement from the state. You know most “opportunist” renters are going to stay thru April, 2021 and then disappear Into the night without paying a dime.