WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Young Americans living with their parents reach reaches 75yr high....

mbrown2

Reaction score
Although I don't have kids; I figured like many of us this is increasingly becoming reality with the Millennial generation... Lots of reasons but my gut says it is mainly to do with being raised/coddled to not be individuals that fend for themselves or pushed to become self sufficient....

I am sure some will say lack of jobs, high cost of living and I am sure those do play a part...but I see illegal aliens, and legal aliens with nothing in their pocket when they get here but either manual skills or technical skills make ends meet and raise families based just on their work ethic, character and good sense of priorities.

I found the article interesting in that the Millennial generation may change the demand for housing and reduce housing expansion as they are falling so far behind the affordability curve this would trickle down to all housing trades. I already see new housing starts offering multi family build options in the same 2300-3000sq ft footprint.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/percent...with-parents-rises-to-75-year-high-1482316203

U.S.
Household formations by millennials lag behind other economic recoveries; high rents, mortgage standards cited Almost 40% of young Americans were living with their parents, siblings or other relatives in 2015, the largest percentage since 1940, according to an analysis of census data by real estate tracker Trulia.
Despite a rebounding economy and recent job growth, the share of those between the ages of 18 and 34 doubling up with parents or other family members has been rising since 2005. Back then, before the start of the last recession, roughly one out of three were living with family.
The trend runs counter to that of previous economic cycles, when after a recession-related spike, the number of younger Americans living with relatives declined as the economy improved.
The result is that there is far less demand for housing than would be expected for the millennial generation, now the largest in U.S. history. The number of adults under age 30 has increased by 5 million over the last decade, but the number of households for that age group grew by just 200,000 over the same period, according to the Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies.
Analysts point to rising rents in many cities and tough mortgage-lending standards as the culprit, making it difficult for younger Americans to strike out on their own.
“I don’t think those are challenges that are going to keep young households permanently out of the housing market, but it may keep their homeownership rate near historic lows for likely the indefinite future,” said Ralph McLaughlin, Trulia’s chief economist.
The share of young Americans living with parents hit a high of 40.9% in 1940, just a year after the official end of the Great Depression, and fell to a low of 24.1% in 1960. It hovered between about 31% and 33% from 1980 to the mid-2000s, when the rate started climbing steadily.
The census data on living arrangements goes back annually to 1980, and prior to that was collected each decade.
Household formation is closely correlated with housing affordability and income. Among those aged 25 to 34, 40% of those earning less than $25,000 headed their own household. The share rose to 50% for those earning between $25,000 and $50,000, and 58% for those with incomes above $50,000, according to the Harvard Joint Center.
Census data also show younger Americans are getting married and having children later in life than previous generations. Even so, economists project the historically large millennial generation will more than double its current number of households through 2025.
Still, delayed household formation has kept home builders guessing about their behavior in coming years. Tim Kane, president of California builder MBK Homes, said it is obvious that household formation is slower for millennials. That leaves him to wonder: “Is it going to happen at the same rate, and is it going to happen at all for homeownership?”
Write to Chris Kirkham at [email protected]

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Have to subscribe or log into the Wall Street Journal to read the article.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
This is a lot like what Japan is experiencing with their decades-long recession.

You have people growing up in an age where maybe 35% of them have any chance to make more money than their parents did, and expensive cost-of-living in the urban areas where the jobs are at.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Some of it is economic and some is cultural. Many cultures prefer the kids stay at home even if they have the ability to be financially independent.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Finding good paying, Full time jobs with benefits is becoming more and more difficult.
It practically takes $100k of college debt to get a $30k a year job. :rolleyes

So much competition out there. A 3.8 GPA used to be really good, now kids are graduating with 4.6 GPAs.
Affordable housing means a nasty long commute.

Sucks for the young kids

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Finding good paying, Full time jobs with benefits is becoming more and more difficult.

So much competition out there. A 3.8 GPA used to be really good, now kids are graduating with 4.6 GPAs.

Sucks for the young kids

Truth to this................but there is still the factor that a lot of these younger kids today have been coddled and didn't get taught to deal with life. Who else has friends of their kids that haven't even gotten a drivers license by age 22? Damn parents continue to coddle and taxi them everywhere, like real productive places such as the Apple Store with Grandpa while they're still in pajamas.:rolleyes

milkmoney

Reaction score
Truth to this................but there is still the factor that a lot of these younger kids today have been coddled and didn't get taught to deal with life. Who else has friends of their kids that haven't even gotten a drivers license by age 22? Damn parents continue to coddle and taxi them everywhere, like real productive places such as the Apple Store with Grandpa while they're still in pajamas.:rolleyes

We teach these girls independence and strength. We also tell them to surround themselves with winners ( kids not getting a driver license til 22 is not a winner in our book). Teach them self confidence and that they will succeed and be somebody in this world. Oldest already accepted and enrolled to OSU , trying out for their marching band in January [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji202]

Wadernation

Reaction score
i was lucky enough to live at home throughout college and never had to pay any rent until i bought my home (forever grateful). Allowing me to finish school and work for a year while living with my folks allowed me to save for a down payment and get into a mortgage. yes i live in the middle of nowhere to afford it but i did what i had to do and i enjoy every second of it. I do feel for people my age who struggle to stay afloat...shit aint cheap ESP in So. cal and i am sure it will just continue to get worse.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score

All my girls had their license at 16, but affording them wheels to drive is a challenge

Cars aren't $3000 like they were when we were kids.
You have to spend $8000-$10,000 to get a 6-8 year old car with a shit ton of miles.

I'm so glad I'm past that phase :)

Motor Boater

Reaction score
There is only one reason 30+ year old kids are living with their parents and it doesn't have anything to do with jobs, the government, luck, the economy etc. It has to do with the fact that they are lazy. You can have anything you want in this world but you have to be willing to get off your ass and go get it. If you can only find a 35k a year job, get two of them. Move in with your buddies while saving up to buy a house. Learn a skill and make something to sell or start a business. Houses too expensive in your area....MOVE to somewhere more affordable. Can't afford your own place....maybe u don't need to drive a brand new car every 2 years. These young kids want it all and they want it right now. My wife bought a house right after college and had 3 roommates live there so she could afford the payment. We worked our asses off fixing up that house and when she sold it she made 50K, it paid off but it was a lot risk and a lot of work. Hell, I buy and sell stuff all the time to make extra money. It can be done, but it takes effort.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
All my girls had their license at 16, but affording them wheels to drive is a challenge

Cars aren't $3000 like they were when we were kids.
You have to spend $8000-$10,000 to get a 6-8 year old car with a shit ton of miles.

I'm so glad I'm past that phase :)

There are $3k cars out there...but most kids won't want to be seen in them. We drove cars with shit paint, silver spray painted steel wheels and just enough power to get us to school.
We afforded our freedoms by having multiple roommates and scraping together what we needed to eat. It built character in us. It's our fault we spoiled our kids, mine included. Little did we know that making it better for our kids than what we dealt with would adversely affect them.
I'm angry at myself, I knew better.:grumble:

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Out of all my friends from hs. There are 3 groups that can aford a house.

1 those that thier parents sold them a house for way below market value.
2 got a job working for the gov and sucking off the teet.
3 those that left the state.

Every one else is struggling, both sides working for $20+ just can't make it.

When I moved away. I sold my house for 200k more then I paid for it, I only owned it 31 months. All I did was paint the inside.

A house across the street from mine sold for almost 600k this year.

How much money do you have to make too aford that?

Sold my grandparents house this year in rosemont(bad area, but not ghetto in sacramento) for 315k, and it was a dump this as fast as you can price. Only thing we did too it was remove the handrails, paint and carpet.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
There are $3k cars out there...but most kids won't want to be seen in them. We drove cars with shit paint, silver spray painted steel wheels and just enough power to get us to school.
We afforded our freedoms by having multiple roommates and scraping together what we needed to eat. It built character in us. It's our fault we spoiled our kids, mine included. Little did we know that making it better for our kids than what we dealt with would adversely affect them.

Well I didn't drive any cars with shit paint...lol :)

Kids cant even get auto shop in school now days.

IMO Schools are a HUGE FAIL for preparing our kids for adulthood. They are just worried about enrollment to get their Govt dollars.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
I will never, ever understand the laziness of people. I would be suicidal if I woke up and had nothing to do all day long. During college, I could not wait to get out and set the world on fire. The kids today with little to no work ethic... don't get it.

To the "Entitlement Generation": Wish in one hand and shit in the other... which one fills up faster?

500bbc

Reaction score
Some of it is economic and some is cultural. Many cultures prefer the kids stay at home even if they have the ability to be financially independent.

Idiot

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Not my daughter, she s 24, has a masters and just bought her condo in Anaheim Hills. The wife and I are damm proud

Did you pay for school or did she?

Could she have done it with out your help?

This is not an attack on her or you, just that college is very expensive and very few are lucky enough to be able to go with out massive loans.

checkrd past

Reaction score
We paid for her undergrad and 1 year of her grad program . The other year her job paid. thats the best part ,we are debt free of her school which was Cal State Fullerton and San Diego State. The condo was her doing. She is such a cheap skate which is a good problem to have in this day and age

Yellowboat

Reaction score
but could she have done it on her own?

I know many people that are exactly where you are now. their kids are doing well, but had to pay zero for school. The ones that paid themselves not so much.

I was engaged to an orthopeadic surgeon, she went to Stanford for undergrad and medical school. walked out with 600k in loans. her payment was almost 8k a month. before she went off into drug land(rx) she was only bringing home 3100 a month. from the 260k a year she was making. 20 year term.

Constant840

Reaction score
My daughter is 6. She will be my only.
She will get her drivers license as soon as legally allowed. I will buy her a decent car that does not have shit paint. I will continue to encourage her in every way possible to learn to be and live as a great person. I will help her with college tuition as much as I possibly can.
If she chooses to live with me until she is 50 I'll appreciate every minute of it.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

I do think this is true to a degree.
Especially among Latin and Asian cultures.

But the numbers "staying home" don't seem to jibe with what would have to amount to a massive cultural shift in the makeup of US households.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score

I'm seem to remember you riding a brand new Kawasaki motorcycle before any of us could drive. ;)
I was riding a POS 2 stoke Suzuki that I bought with paper route money...lol

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
We paid for her undergrad and 1 year of her grad program . The other year her job paid. thats the best part ,we are debt free of her school which was Cal State Fullerton and San Diego State. The condo was her doing. She is such a cheap skate which is a good problem to have in this day and age
Supporting your kids through school is how it should be....I'm all about that. At that point they should be flying on their own. If they hiccup, sure, lend a hand but don't turn them back into your adolescent child.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I'm seem to remember you riding a brand new Kawasaki motorcycle before any of us could drive. ;)
I was riding a POS 2 stoke Suzuki that I bought with paper route money...lol
I'm older.....lol[emoji23]
Got the brand new $800 Kawi after the $50 POS bike.
I drooled over your RM vs. my not nearly as cool metal fendered enduro.[emoji1]

Joker

Reaction score
Supporting your kids through school is how it should be....I'm all about that. At that point they should be flying on their own. If they hiccup, sure, lend a hand but don't turn them back into your adolescent child.

Exactly what has happened on our end. In August its up to her to be an adult and to use the education we've provided to pay her bills and find a place to live. I warned her every year that college goes by quick and to start planning her career path. When we stop paying all of her expenses, the shit will hit the fan and there will most likely be attitude for a while.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I'm older.....lol[emoji23]
Got the brand new $800 Kawi after the $50 POS bike.
I drooled over your RM vs. my not nearly as cool metal fendered enduro.[emoji1]

Lol, was that how much that 175 was? That was a fun bike.

I started out with the TT 125 with the smoking coil...

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
i was lucky enough to live at home throughout college and never had to pay any rent until i bought my home (forever grateful). Allowing me to finish school and work for a year while living with my folks allowed me to save for a down payment and get into a mortgage. yes i live in the middle of nowhere to afford it but i did what i had to do and i enjoy every second of it. I do feel for people my age who struggle to stay afloat...shit aint cheap ESP in So. cal and i am sure it will just continue to get worse.

There is a difference between staying at home with a plan for the future, vs, staying at home out of complacency and convenience.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Lol, was that how much that 175 was? That was a fun bike.

I started out with the TT 125 with the smoking coil...
It was under a grand, that much I know. You know exactly how frugal my dad was...lol
My first bike was evidence how cheap he was...kawi TR120. A trails bike with about 1 inch of suspension.[emoji1] [emoji41] pretty sure he even bartered some useless crap for it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I do think this is true to a degree.
Especially among Latin and Asian cultures.

But the numbers "staying home" don't seem to jibe with what would have to amount to a massive cultural shift in the makeup of US households.

These kids are saddled with a bunch of student loan and credit card debt and have less motivation than previous generations to get a meaningful job. If you have that attitude, and parents that have coddled you your entire life.. what do you think will happen?

Plus if you just watched your parents financial blunders catch up with them for the last 10 years, you are going to have little motivation to go out in the real world.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My daughter is 6. She will be my only.
She will get her drivers license as soon as legally allowed. I will buy her a decent car that does not have shit paint. I will continue to encourage her in every way possible to learn to be and live as a great person. I will help her with college tuition as much as I possibly can.
If she chooses to live with me until she is 50 I'll appreciate every minute of it.
Lets revisit your last sentence in 20 years or so...[emoji1]

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
There is a difference between staying at home with a plan for the future, vs, staying at home out of complacency and convenience.
This is the stage my daughter is at. She's taking the necessary steps to move overseas and teach....which includes searching for the right job at the right time. But in the mean time it's frustrating. ..[emoji4] it'll all be good soon and then I'll miss her again.

mbrown2

Reaction score

Ditto...don't think these higher numbers are because more kids are staying at home to finish college; I would hope that would be the problem. In fact, if you look at the census bureau numbers our numbers of college grads is dropping versus other nations.

sirbob

Reaction score
There are 2 issues here...

1) kids are lazy these days because we parents that could, gave them a lot of stuff that we parents had to work for when we were growing up.

2) older children are living at home longer

While I'm sure there are some in category 2 that are there because of category 1 - the fact is many cultures have adult children living at home until they are in their 30s

Lots of reasons for this but the answer for many of them has nothing to do with being lazy.

It's just not as simple as - kids are lazy and so they live at home.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Did you pay for school or did she?

Could she have done it with out your help?

This is not an attack on her or you, just that college is very expensive and very few are lucky enough to be able to go with out massive loans.

It absolutely can be done. I know tons of people who took student loans, got solid jobs and have been very successful and able to pay off the loans. Hell one guy I know had loans for him and his wife. He owns his own business lives in a beautiful house, has a vacation house and a rental house. It's being done everyday by people all over the world.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

Sucks for the young kids

Bullshit......

I could find a hard working, smart kid a better paying job than that today with nothing more than a high school diploma and no criminal record in the insurance field.

If you are smart, driven and choose to get your 4 year degree in the right field there are 60K+ jobs waiting for you the day you graduate if you play your cards right. A marketing, business, architect,poly sci,English or psychology degrees are all but useless in today's job market.

You better know where you are headed if you want to spend your parents $$$ on college and it better be engineering, science,nursing,etc....

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Bullshit......

I could find a hard working, smart kid a better paying job than that today with nothing more than a high school diploma and no criminal record in the insurance field.

If you are smart, driven and choose to get your 4 year degree in the right field there are 60K+ jobs waiting for you the day you graduate if you play your cards right. A marketing, business, architect,poly sci,English or psychology degrees are all but useless in today's job market.

You better know where you are headed if you want to spend your parents $$$ on college and it better be engineering, science,nursing,etc....

I get it, but my kids weren't interested in engineering, science or nursing. Believe me, I tried.
So they will be struggling and living in a shitty apartment for the time being till they figure something else out.

As a parent, All you can do it give advise. It's up to them to put it to good use.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Bullshit......

If you are smart, driven and choose to get your 4 year degree in the right field there are 60K+ jobs waiting for you the day you graduate if you play your cards right..

Agree. I see this all the time with the 'new kids' that come over to the Finance side of Real Estate Development. For some recent school graduates, this is their first 'real' job. Early 20's making some good money.

copterzach

Reaction score
It was a lot different when I went to college. And I am not that old. I busted ass in High school. Got a full ride to rodeo at a Jr College then finished up at Texas A&M. Attended both on a full ride. Worked the whole time. While at the Jr college worked for a goat ranch. We took care 4000 head of meat goats. Lived in a shit hole house. Same thing at A&M. Worked at a feedlot. And we lived in a shit hole house. Broke horses on the side, day worked and what ever else we could hustle up. Paid for everything myself. And rodeoed full time. College and professional. Hit a few big pay days roping which helped a lot. Bit can be done if you truly want it.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
It absolutely can be done. I know tons of people who took student loans, got solid jobs and have been very successful and able to pay off the loans. Hell one guy I know had loans for him and his wife. He owns his own business lives in a beautiful house, has a vacation house and a rental house. It's being done everyday by people all over the world.

yes it can be done, but its not done very often.

I paid all but $100 of my education. I have a degree in math in 03. with todays prices and job market, it would have been a lot harder. the apartment I rented by sac state for $600 is now $1400 even if every thing else was the same, it would have been very hard to bring home an extra $800 a month. I use to go to school, then come home study and then go paint an apartment or 2, every day. I lived on 2-3 hours of sleep for years. I made more money them most of my professors at that time. now it would be the other way around I am sure.

Like it or not the middle class is disappearing and the chances for some one to move up is too. I am amazed at the jobs that need a 4 year degree these days. even out side sales for paint does. its a job that has zero to do with any thing other then people skills or being some hot young thing.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
There are 2 issues here...

1) kids are lazy these days because we parents that could, gave them a lot of stuff that we parents had to work for when we were growing up.

2) older children are living at home longer

While I'm sure there are some in category 2 that are there because of category 1 - the fact is many cultures have adult children living at home until they are in their 30s

Lots of reasons for this but the answer for many of them has nothing to do with being lazy.

It's just not as simple as - kids are lazy and so they live at home.

There are a few things that I have seen in friends and others. The problems start in High School or early college and really boil down to complacency and accountability.

If you have been told your whole life you can do anything thing you want, were sent to college to find yourself, and are now living at home in your mid 20s with a job at the mall, you have no reason to become an adult and move out on your own. No kid says "I want to be a plumber when I grow up" but at some point in your life when an opportunity comes along, you need to take it as opposed to thinking certain jobs are below you. But if there is no motivation to take a new opportunity, you wont.

If you are going to get a degree, you need to get a degree in something relevant. A masters in 14th century North African Female Literature does not yield many successful job prospects. You are going to put a lot of time and money into something you may never get anything out of.

Don't keep going to school because you have not decided what you want to be when you grow up and are trying to put off "adulting".

You need to have a plan when you get out of high school. If you don't know what you want to do, get a general degree, or go to a trade school for something that interests you. Relevant skills, and general knowledge is always something you can fall back on. Too many young people look down on trades

I get that kids are going to live at home longer. The cost of living is going up, but at the same time it is a cultural problem. If you are going to complain about having no money and that life is too hard, then you should be saving some money, not buying a new cellphone every year, not leasing new cars, not carrying a bunch of credit card debt. But when it is easier to do whatever you want all the time and have few responsibilities and a job at the mall.. why take on more responsibility?

DaBank

Reaction score
Bullshit......

Total agree. The problem with alot of people is getting a minimum wage job and staying in that field there is no up side it is a first job/stepping stone a place to learn how to be a employee. People can make as much as they want as long as they look at there future and go into a career. If you work someplace and the manger makes $5 more a hour than you that is not a place to stay long term......stay there to pay bills and learn a trade or a skill or go get a second job that pays commission and see that one sale you could make one week/one month wages. I understand it is scary to go work and not have a guaranteed pay but time goes by fast and it will be no one's fault that they stayed in a job that by 21 year's old no one should be doing.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I get it, but my kids weren't interested in engineering, science or nursing. Believe me, I tried.
So they will be struggling and living in a shitty apartment for the time being till they figure something else out.

As a parent, All you can do it give advise. It's up to them to put it to good use.

So at what point to they say shit maybe I should just get a job that pays the bills and leave my visions of grandeur behind?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
There is only one reason 30+ year old kids are living with their parents and it doesn't have anything to do with jobs, the government, luck, the economy etc. It has to do with the fact that they are lazy. You can have anything you want in this world but you have to be willing to get off your ass and go get it. If you can only find a 35k a year job, get two of them. Move in with your buddies while saving up to buy a house. Learn a skill and make something to sell or start a business. Houses too expensive in your area....MOVE to somewhere more affordable. Can't afford your own place....maybe u don't need to drive a brand new car every 2 years. These young kids want it all and they want it right now. My wife bought a house right after college and had 3 roommates live there so she could afford the payment. We worked our asses off fixing up that house and when she sold it she made 50K, it paid off but it was a lot risk and a lot of work. Hell, I buy and sell stuff all the time to make extra money. It can be done, but it takes effort.
I'll use myself as an example of how difficult it can be to afford to buy a house now......

I had a good job right out of high school (2005) for a few years (2010) during that time I was going to school and working at a Jamba Juice for a little extra money. I was bringing home about a whopping $3,000 a month and living at home. I had a car payment, insurance, cell phone, and gas to get from Burbank to Baldwin Park for work and to get to cypress for school. Then the recession hit and I got laid off. Was still going to school but wasn't full time since I was trying to also find a job to have some income. In 2012 alone I sent out about 3,100 applications for any job that I was slightly remotely qualified for. I FINALLY got one 200 miles away from my family in Paso Robles making a whopping $9/hr. Couldn't find a 2nd job to save my life at that time as there just weren't any available. I paid $550/month to rent a room. I was bringing home about $1,200. How I was able to afford to live, I don't know. I still had a car payment (was upside down on it at that point since it was bought used before the crash), insurance, and cell as well. In the years since I have managed to work my way up to other jobs and it is looking like this year I will gross just slightly lower than 90k. But, I have 3 mouths to feed and house at home. At this time, we can't afford for my girlfriend to go back to work cause child care for 2 kids costs more than our monthly rent. About $1,400 and that is on the cheap side. Sure, I could have done better at saving the past few years and could have had a down payment for a house possibly by now, but I would likely be very house poor. In today's market a family of 4 would need to bring home about 150k MINIMUM to be able to afford to buy a house a be able to live. Let alone be able to save for college for kids. At this point I'm doing fairly well if I'm able to get all my bills and rent paid on time and be able to drive down to see my family maybe every other month.

Yes, I could cut out stuff like not going down to LA to see family or not send my oldest to daycare 2 days a week, but at that point I'd rather be living with my parents cause that is a very sad way to live.

Basically, home ownership is MUCH harder these days and many times is not just a matter of "work more/harder" and is truly unobtainable for many younger people.

And btw, it drives me NUTS that I can't afford to buy a house. Specially when I see that W-2 and wonder WTF happened.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
my three boys 31, 30, 28... two married and both are home ownership, youngest getting engaged at end of the month and just graduated nursing school... two grand daughters ....

my hardest decision is who will put up with grandpa's bullshit when that day comes.... LOL

PS

Parents need to PARENT!!!!!!

Your children are NOT YOUR BEST FRIEND!!! THEY NEED A PARENT!!!!

Merry Christmas EVERYONE!!

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'll use myself as an example of how difficult it can be to afford to buy a house now......

I had a good job right out of high school (2005) for a few years (2010) during that time I was going to school and working at a Jamba Juice for a little extra money. I was bringing home about a whopping $3,000 a month and living at home. I had a car payment, insurance, cell phone, and gas to get from Burbank to Baldwin Park for work and to get to cypress for school. Then the recession hit and I got laid off. Was still going to school but wasn't full time since I was trying to also find a job to have some income. In 2012 alone I sent out about 3,100 applications for any job that I was slightly remotely qualified for. I FINALLY got one 200 miles away from my family in Paso Robles making a whopping $9/hr. Couldn't find a 2nd job to save my life at that time as there just weren't any available. I paid $550/month to rent a room. I was bringing home about $1,200. How I was able to afford to live, I don't know. I still had a car payment (was upside down on it at that point since it was bought used before the crash), insurance, and cell as well. In the years since I have managed to work my way up to other jobs and it is looking like this year I will gross just slightly lower than 90k. But, I have 3 mouths to feed and house at home. At this time, we can't afford for my girlfriend to go back to work cause child care for 2 kids costs more than our monthly rent. About $1,400 and that is on the cheap side. Sure, I could have done better at saving the past few years and could have had a down payment for a house possibly by now, but I would likely be very house poor. In today's market a family of 4 would need to bring home about 150k MINIMUM to be able to afford to buy a house a be able to live. Let alone be able to save for college for kids. At this point I'm doing fairly well if I'm able to get all my bills and rent paid on time and be able to drive down to see my family maybe every other month.

Yes, I could cut out stuff like not going down to LA to see family or not send my oldest to daycare 2 days a week, but at that point I'd rather be living with my parents cause that is a very sad way to live.

Basically, home ownership is MUCH harder these days and many times is not just a matter of "work more/harder" and is truly unobtainable for many younger people.

And btw, it drives me NUTS that I can't afford to buy a house. Specially when I see that W-2 and wonder WTF happened.

Do you ever think of moving elsewhere where housing might be more affordable? Home ownership is not going to be an option in CA for most millennials.

But in 06 I thought I'd never own a house. In 09 I had enough saved for a 20% down payment on one.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I was born in 87 so unfortunately I'm labeled as a millennial. I'm the complete opposite of all the people I went to high school with who are Still barely making it.

I moved out at 18 and worked 2 full time jobs after high school (graduated 2005) bringing in around 70k a year. I probably worked 100 hours a week for 4 years. I spent my money foolishly and didn't go to college till about 2008 when the economy went down south and got laid off from my day time job.

Went back to college and now have a Masters in project management and have been working at SpaceX for 4 1/2 years.

Parents didn't buy me my first car as they wanted me to work for everything.l nor did they pay for my college.

Now I'm almost 30 bought my first house in La Mirada and have a manageable debt level. No car payment, 1 credit card, and yes I have student debt. It's a necessary evil since I didn't get into a trade.

I believe there are 2 things that made me some what successful in life.

1. My parents

2. Surrounding myself with successful people. It drove me to do better and want more myself.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score

So at what point to they say shit maybe I should just get a job that pays the bills and leave my visions of grandeur behind?

exactly.....

Plenty of tradesman,gardners,mail men ,etc.. that moved out and live good lives based on there pay grade. The sooner you figure out your place in the food chain the better. If you don't have the ability to pay back a 100K student loan why would you go that route and get a degree where you are going to work at starbucks once you graduate?

Get them out of the house as soon as possible and let them figure it out. If you are 30 and haven't figured it out I hate to break it to you but aside from the lottery or your parents dying young and leaving you there nest egg you are in trouble.