WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Your crappiest car?

wallnutz

Reaction score
My orange '74 Vega. Bought for $300 and sold it for $300. Put $2500 in over the two years I owned it. The Chrysler K car I bought for $100 was a very very close second. Had to drive that pos for a month when my truck blew up.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
i sold my 2v 5.4 expedition for that grey pile of junk. The 2v is a great motor. Also had the 4r100 transmission. Should’ve never sold it.

They just never passed a gas station, and made 16 horsepower :)

All those Mod motors were Ford’s answer to a question no one asked - Can you make a larger footprint, smaller displacement engine that is more expensive, and more complicated, that also makes less power and gets worse fuel mileage?

Last edited:

HST4ME

Reaction score
2004 gm mini van with the 3.5. That thing was diarrhea with four wheels attached.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Four different 6.0h-no Ford work trucks. One of them Cab off three times and two engines, another one cab off twice before 25k miles. Sad really, in the mid 2000’s, they were the only realistic 550 4x4 with a live front axle, but udder dog shit engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
100%!!!! We had two of those POS's. I was guaranteed that the second one I bought the turbo problems had been fixed. Well, after that one had the SAME FUCKING problem I was told the new truck missed the turbo fix by 210 trucks. That Dodge with the Cummins that followed was an absolute beast and pleasure to drive. 3K times better than that fucking Ford. My Dad and Grandfather rolled over in their graves when I bought that Dodge but when they saw how it performed from above they were both smiling!!!

zhandfull

Reaction score
98 Chrysler 300

Had to pay the Toyota dealer extra money to take in as a trade for a new Toyota Sequoia. It was money well spent after the AC had went out three times in a year and the window motors kept going out. The damn battery was under the headlight in bumper wheel well area.
1619302096443.png

stingray11

Reaction score
Austin Healey 3000

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Backlash

Reaction score
I had an old nasty Mazda 626 back in '93. It got stolen and I wasnt terribly disappointed. Unfortunately it was located by Riverside PD. 🤦‍♂️😁

MOUZER

Reaction score
72 orange pinto & 70.s mazda wagon LOL

sirbob

Reaction score
Haha

I never drove a crappy car.

Some may have been less neat than others but they have all been cars I’ve loved having.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
90 Hyundai Elantra. Bought it new for a commuter and that thing would eat thru tires like it was out of alignment . Dealer said it was normal and couldn’t fix it said I needed to rotate more. After the second set they got their car back. POS

nowski

Reaction score
Biggest piece of crap car that we owned was a Volvo 760GLE. If I would have bought the 740 like my neighbor I would have been a happy camper...

Junk yard car.jpg

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
...I’ve owned so many cars it would be hard to say ...bought a lot of fixers.., drove them till I got tired of them ...then turned them...

nowski

Reaction score
Is that a 914 in the background? I had one of those, interesting cars.

Yes 1975 914. I bought that car from the original owner back in the 80's from a guy in Long Beach. I had the car for 11 years and decided to sell it (my wife still bitches about selling it to this day) because it didn't make a good family car with two young kids. I sold it to a guy from Colorado and he literally drove it all the way home with no issues. Good 914's (rust free) are out there but they'll set you back a pretty penny unfortunately many have the infamous hell hole rust...

I had a 73 911 that's also a sore subject...

bobbytheboozer

resident boozer
Reaction score
Every ford product I've ever owned was absolute trash. Probably about 3 or 4 vehicles. Plus the 1989 Toyota Tercel I drove for a few years was the "fuck it bucket". Got me from upland, CA to Burbank airport for almost 2 years until I saved up enough money to buy another ford product.... After 3 months with that new ford truck, I realized I should have kept the Toyota because at least it worked.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I've had a few Ford products. 1977 F250, two Excursions, Lincoln Navigator, two F150's and even a Ranger, etc. Even with the 6.0 Excursion, had no problems that weren't an easy fix. My next truck will either be a F250 or 350 diesel.

nowski

Reaction score
‘82 Z28 with the 305 Crossfire. Biggest piece of shit ever.
Pulled pussy like no other though.

Seriously...

My 82 had the 4 speed manual transmission. Funnest tow vehicle that I've owned. Smoked those tires every time I went up the ramp. The looks I got when towing a boat (couldn't see the car) on the freeway were priceless...
82 Z28.JPG

Baja 252

Reaction score
In 1973 I bought a 1964 Chevy p/u for $325. It was a POS truck, but I needed a truck and it was cheap. Kind of a fun story.

Growing up our family had a cabin on LOTO. I used to stay at the lake all summer building docks and earned pretty good money for 1973.
I had bought a small outboard hydroplane years earlier, but I was out growing it and dreamed of buying a drag boat. My parents probably not wanting me to buy one would constantly tell me I had no way to pull a trailer. Okay, I'll take that off the table, enter the $325 Chevy. I still remember my parents looking back and forth between me and the new truck in the driveway. My mother promptly named it the Circus Wagon.

It was a 3/4 ton regular bed fleet-side p/u 4spd (granny low). The guy I bought it from lived on a farm and after years of use he turned into the hauler for his dirt track car. He raced a 69 Chevelle and towed it all over KS & MO to races. He took all the trim off it, but left all the holes from the trim and painted it orange and white to match his car. (Hence, the name Circus Wagon) The original tired 283 didn't have enough power to tow his car, so this guy rebuilt the ORIGINAL 396 375hp he had from his 69 Chevelle race car and dropped it in. He welded up log manifolds for it cause he couldn't find any to fit, so it always has 2 or 3 exhaust leaks no matter what you did. It had a big cam with glasspacks, I still remember the sound of it thumping at idle, exhaust ticking, shaking the rotten wood in the bed and the chains on the tailgate. He soon found the 3-4 MPG it got meant stopping all the time for gas so he slapped on an adapter and a small 2 barrel carb!! Even at 17 I knew it was a unbelievable batch of mismatched parts, but surprisingly it ran pretty good and had tons of power. Very few gauges worked, holes in the wood bed, but no rust. The seat was out of a car and about a foot short, the passenger better hold on turning left or they would slide off into the hole between the seat and the door. Good times.

I'm not sure when I bought my first drag boat, but it wasn't long after getting the truck. I kept the truck thru several boats and into college before I bought a better truck. This is the only photo I have of it, I guess it was around 1977, I was launching our Correct Craft at LOTO with my sister and my dad.

D7K_5370_LR.JPG

LOTO people would be interested to know this is the Big Thunder launching ramp years before it became Big Thunder Marine.

I sold it around 1979 to three black guys that wanted to buy a race horse and needed it to pull a horse trailer. They came to our door looking like 3 pimps from a 70's movie. I was asking $600 and we settled on $500. The main guy said, "ok boys cough it up" and they all started pulling fifty's and twenty's from their wallets, each pocket, their socks and yes, even from the rim of their velvet pimp hats. It was unreal. My mother was in the house, looking out the window with 9-1 dialed on the phone just waiting for things to go bad and dial that last 1.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My pos Dodge Durango...

The fact that I got it dirt cheap was it's only saving grace. At 100k miles that thing literally self destructed. Trans took a shit, water pump, fuel pump, the blower resistor melted, plug wires, started leaking engine oil, rear a/c stopped working right.

Everything just quit on the pos!

I couldn't afford to replace it, so I fixed everything wrong with it. I Still have it!!

But now it's another decade old, and it's starting to implode again. I'll probably just give it away.

Why anyone would by anything made by Dodge is beyond me. Even the GM vehicles I've owned were a damn sight better to me!

🤣

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Seriously...

My 82 had the 4 speed manual transmission. Funnest tow vehicle that I've owned. Smoked those tires every time I went up the ramp. The looks I got when towing a boat (couldn't see the car) on the freeway were priceless... View attachment 995916
Gutless wonder. I raced a Honda Prelude and got smoked.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Seriously...

My 82 had the 4 speed manual transmission. Funnest tow vehicle that I've owned. Smoked those tires every time I went up the ramp. The looks I got when towing a boat (couldn't see the car) on the freeway were priceless... View attachment 995916

You must have died towing a boat with 3rd gen F body, and have somehow since reincarnated. If you didn’t die while towing, the Towing Police would have surely ran you off the road upon seeing your act of selfish stupidity. Or were those nearly 40 year old Camaros that made 120 HP and had 10 inch brakes rated to tow a real 10000 lbs and not the fake 10000 lbs today’s 1/2 ton trucks are rated to tow?

Today the RDP towing police would require a new F250 diesel to perform such bote towing feats! It is amazing how much cars and trucks have devolved in 40 years!

Last edited:

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
my 'crappy' cars were training platforms.
had a 73 "James Bond" Hornet X (note Herve Vallechaize, "Tattoo" from "Fantasy Island", in passenger seat), 72 AMC Javelin, C-10 pickup, 83 Mustang GT...all of them provided a route to proficiency in auto (and general) engine repair.

Hornet rusted out after only 2 years living in the sea air of So Orange Cty (Newport/Niguel)

Last edited:

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Never really had a crappy car. The vast majority have been GM products. Put 100k plus miles on each. Although, our first Suburban was a jacked up, big engine, big tires 4WD that got only 6-8 mpg. Did not put 100k on that one. My first car was a used 60 Impala.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Oh I'd like to add one more....2007 BMW 750LI. The car always ran rough from the get go, AC sucked balls but the biggest reason I hated that car was after paying $90K for it and realizing we hated it, we tried to trade it in 9 months later with 8,000 miles on it and the dealer told me it was worth $50K.:mad:

boatpi

Reaction score
Although the engine ran well the one and only new GM vehicle I ever bought new, 1990 Chevrolet 1500 pick up four-wheel-drive Z 71.

at 300 miles on the odometer of the water pump blew a leak in my driveway had to be towed, 20,000 miles the steering column wore out and the shifter basically just hung there it was just out of warranty. At three years the paint started chalking, the clearcoat started looking like pimples I sold to a guy who shipped it to Japan. Ran great towed good comfortable interior but a mechanical piece of shit.

The best car most reliable I’ve ever owned, a Lamborghini I’m on my second one absolutely flawless.

ssc

Reaction score
I have had 3 vehicles that were shit. Had a BMW 740I. It was at the dealer more than at the house. The PS went out 6 times and you had a 50/50 chance that when you rolled down a window that it wouldn't close. The check engine light came on all the time. I should have lemon lawed it. Bought a new jeep. Died on the way home from dealer. Must of been a late afternoon friday build. The electrical system was FUBAR as were the brakes etc. Had a few other chrysler products and can say I will never buy another chrysler/jeep etc product.

The last was a ford f150. What an underpowered piece of shit. That junk-mobile left me stranded numerous times. It died at a remote ranger station after a bear hunt and it was only a week old. Dealer sent a flat bed to get it. It was an extra rig and its main job was to take the family between Riverside and Havasu. It was maintained to a high degree and I had paid cash, so intended to keep it a long time. By the time it has 60,000 miles it started its stranding horsesh*&. Periodically, it wouldn't start. Got stranded at a gas station off the 40 on the way to havasu with the wife, dogs, cat and lots of guns and ammo. It was only 110. Left me stranded in San Diego. No codes and no one could figure it out. Drove it to a toyota dealer and bought a tundra. It went DOA on the toyota lot. Now, I only buy toyota and lexus.

Cheers, Steve

CJ_Donahue

Reaction score
Screenshot_20210425-170103_Google.jpg

2005 Pontiac Sunfire. 0-60 in two days, ugliest car in the world, and could not get a penny for it when I could afford better.

Brother needed a truck to tow so I let him "Borrow" my newer Chevy 2500 and thus I needed a car immediately to commute to work. Craiglist about an hour later I had the Pontiac for $3,600. Drove it for 6 years, 90,000+ miles, one set of tires, one brake job, a few oil changes, and not one car wash or F**ks give. In the end a friend needed a car so again someone "borrowed it."

We said best car right? I miss that POS.

Last edited:

SoCalDave

Reaction score
1968 VW Bug. I was living in the Pontiac Michigan area with my uncle and had to use one of his cars for a couple of months to get to work and back on my feet again. Middle of winter and a rust bucket. Heater exchange system was rusted out and you could see the road through the floorboards. That was a tough few months driving that POS in the dead of winter...

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I had an old Cavalier that was a POS, but it was also my first car so I guess POS at this stage is a good thing. Most embarrassing moment was driving a couple of hot German exchange student girls to the airport for their flight back to Germany (because they asked me and I wasn't about to turn them down), and one of my back doors wouldn't open and I had some kind of squeal in an axle or something that you could hear the car coming from a block away. I would have killed to have a better car but they were nice enough to be happy I got them there.

My second car was a Volvo 240DL wagon. also a POS but only because my brother took it out joyriding and rolled it and left it for impound. My father decided I'd get it after he bondo'd it back together. I had to deal with steering rack damage that would get stuck in a left turn and go in circles, a transmission that lost reverse and I had to learn how to park where I could coast in reverse, and when the throttle linkage broke and I tried idling down the freeway to get home, to the not so amusement of a CHP officer that stopped me and forced me to call a tow truck.

A friend took pity on me and bought me a AAA membership. I guess he got tired of coming to get me when my car broke down. I've been in GM products since and while most have had their issues, nothing was as bad as my first two cars.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
72 Fiat 124 Spyder, what a piece of shit, little redeaming value.. 71 Porsche/VW 914 was probably worse but I liked it better.

SoCalZero

Reaction score
2005 CTS-V. Was in the shop for at least a week every month that I had it. Went through 3 differentials that must have been made of glass. Just had a lot of other problems and the dealer finally took it back. That car was the worst and most fun at the same time.

KevinR

Reaction score
My crappiest, but not too bad. Sold my first car in 1974, a 1970 Mustang BOSS 302 I purchased from Carson Brummett in 1972, cause no way I wanted to take that to college. This was my college ride from 1974 to 1978 and another year after that.

555CACDF-4C8D-41D5-BE69-BB07109E7986.jpeg

NicPaus

Reaction score
My 2007 F450. Bought new and was cost me over $2 a mile to own it. Ford salesman swore they fixed all the issues that the 03 f350 6.0 had. The 03 was actually a better truck but still had a lot of issues. Went from 4 ford's to 4 Chevy trucks.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
VW Jetta, complete pile
Suzuki Samurai was a pile, but I wanted to make it a crawler.
Prius was piece of crap, but it was cheap, never had one issue and paid for itself. Would own again.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
09’ Chevy 1500 suburban:
Put a leveling kit and 35’s on it, poor trans. Worked it’s ass off shifting trying to pull chiraco grade not pulling anything .
Back bench seat back kept folding over, three dealerhps couldn’t figure it out.
Cadi dealer realized seat was not bolted through the body.
They bought it back no questions asked.
Cut my finger on the shittiy chrome dip job of the inner door handles too.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
1 had a 1978 fiat x19. I won't say it was the crappies but it did seem to have some issues. I got it for my 16th birthday. God the fun I had in that car with girls.
5a00986f48bb9_0E6810DB-6B49-4181-BD3D-BEC3BA3F097D.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

nowski

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the prices some of these crappiest car's are fetching on Bring a Trailer??? Who would have known...

LOBOATOMY

Reaction score
Hard to pick

Triumph TR 7 The shape of NOTHING to come.

or

SAAB 99 Turbo another SAAB Story.

Both HUGE POS'S

PS I've owned 200-300 cars

caribbean20

Reaction score
Hands down, a puke brown ‘74 Olds 88 bought as a winter car in Detroit. We used that pig as a battering ram. No highway cone or barrel was safe when we came charging through. The brakes were nothing more than a rumor. Had to vigorously stab them many times to get any sensation of lowering of speed.

It finally quit after the bar one night so I took the plates off and hoofed it home hoping to never see it again. When I got home the cops had already left a message to come pick this POS up and get it off the side of the road. It escaped me that they could trace a VIN.

Had it towed and I gave it away to charity, claiming a charitable contribution on my tax return. A fitting end.