WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Your guys' opinion on selling my boat

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
So my 85 20' fineline centurion tunnel has been sitting there, not getting used for a few years now. The other day I thought about getting it out and taking it to the water, but the helm or one of the the steering cables is froze. The boat needs a cut/buff. The interior needs some cleaning up. It wasn't a fantastic boat when my kids were infants so it got used minimally by my wife and I even tho we spent a lot of time at the lake. There were weekends we wouldnt even unload it because it was too rough for the kids.

So I got to thinking that since I haven't used it in quite a while, maybe I should just sell it. I've had it about 10 years, and bought it from my dad who had it about 15 years (he bought it when I was in 1st grade). I thought about keeping it around for one of my boys, but I fear in another 10 years when they are ready for it, it will have rotted away or the gel will be irreparable etc. It sits on a really nice Magnum trailer (that could use a repaint) and has a chrome bore, never opened 88 200 merc with a fishin lower. It has 2 stainless saddle tanks, 11 gal each. Lots of nice pinstriping/lettering, but its starting to fade away. The gauges no longer match, but I believe they all work with the exception of the speedo.

With the issues it has, does anyone have any idea what it is worth? I would fix the steering and get it lake worthy, but I do not have the time to buff it, clean the interior up, etc. I've thought about putting a grand or two in it, using it for a few months and then selling it, but the last thing I need is another project.

I do not know how many hours are on this motor. I have put about ~20-30 on it in the past decade, and bought it from an older guy in Abilene TX off his bass boat back in ~05. The oil pump has been blocked off and its pre-mix, always ran ~40:1.

I have 2 friends that want the boat as is, but my fear is that they will let it go to shit, which is never good for friendships.

So...Will I regret selling it?
Should I sell it as is to a friend for a good deal, hoping he takes care of it?
Should I put a day or two in it to get it lake worthy, list it and see what happens?

In the picture below, its wet...but gives you an idea of what it is.

I have a hard time parting with stuff, but I have way too much stuff right now and its overwhelming me.

Thanks,
Jeff

IMG_4978.jpg

fmo24

Reaction score
Iam normally hesitant about selling to friends even when they say they understand any issues it may have. I would get it lake ready and sell it outside of your circle of friends. Unless you give them an incredible price :D

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Iam normally hesitant about selling to friends even when they say they understand any issues it may have. I would get it lake ready and sell it outside of your circle of friends. Unless you give them an incredible price :D
I am too normally! I also would have no issue giving them a great price, but I am not even sure what a great price is? What I hate is when I give someone I know a great price and they either let it deteriorate to shit in their back yard, OR...they sell it 3 weeks later.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Sounds like the steering cable is frozen... my outboard did that and it was just at the end by the motor. Injected some grease in the end and that freed it up...

Hard to sell for a decent price if it doesn't run though....

Taboma

Reaction score
I have no clue what to sell your fun looking tunnel for :headscratch: $ 5-7 K ???

I just stopped by to say that I empathize with your condition, I too suffer this "Can't sell my toys" malady. :D

Of course my son has an instant solution, he'll take all the toys, for free of course :rolleyes

Problem is, he doesn't have the coin nor a full understanding of what it takes to own and properly maintain my stuff, which wouldn't make me happy. :grumble:

Selling to your best buddy can cause serious friend problems. :thumbsdown

I had a 74' Ford, single cab, short bed - 360ci I'd had and babied since new, in 2000 it still only had 30K miles on it.

My best buddy since we'd been kids, begged me to sell it to him. Knowing in my possession it would be destined to remain a garage princess, I finally agreed, in part cuz I needed the stall

for yet another garage princess.

I was so friggin pissed about a month later when we were in Havasu and I see the damned truck on a hauler with the front suspension caved in and the tires pointing opposite directions :swear

I get his ass on the phone asking WTF did you do to MY truck I'd kept perfect for 26 years :grumble:

Obviously surprised I'd seen it, he reluctantly admitted that he'd given it to his absolute idiotic 18 year old son, whom couldn't be trusted caring for a block of concrete, and that moron son decided to head out in the desert and JUMP IT :yikes

THEN, a few years later, my by now barely best friend calls begging me to sell him my boat :eek :finger :D NO FUCK NO, I'd rather burn it and let it sink first :D

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Sounds like the steering cable is frozen... my outboard did that and it was just at the end by the motor. Injected some grease in the end and that freed it up...

Hard to sell for a decent price if it doesn't run though....

Yeah, thats what I am assuming as well. It happened to me on this same boat about 5 years ago, so I'm sure its an easy fix. Its just one of those "where do I stop" fixes. Do I stop at making it lake worthy? Do I go ahead and buff it? Do I just cut my losses, save my time, sell it cheap and spend that time on other projects that I WANT to finish?

I have no clue what to sell your fun looking tunnel for :headscratch: $ 5-7 K ???

I just stopped by to say that I empathize with your condition, I too suffer this "Can't sell my toys" malady. :D

Of course my son has an instant solution, he'll take all the toys, for free of course :rolleyes

Your situation is exactly what I am afraid of. I dont want any hard feelings, but I wouldn't mind another friend of mine having a boat. I also wouldnt mind seeing it stick around, if taken care of. I also wouldnt mind one of them buying it, keeping it decent, and selling it to one of my kids later on. But hell, thats a lot of "I wouldnt mind", when its currently sitting at my house doing exactly what would piss me off if a friend did it. And ya...that cant sell my toys malady is a tough one. I am absolutely loosing track of everything I own. I forget i have vehicles. I have stuff parked at my parents, my grandparents, in my lake storage, I have 8 cars worth of garage space at home full of trucks/buggies/dirt bikes/etc, plus half a dozen things sitting outside. Not complaining at all, its a good problem to have, but makes me feel irresponsible sometimes. Plus Im tired of paying insurance/registration on everything.

If I could get 5-7K for it, I would be stoked to be honest. I have no clue what its worth. I know if it was a daytona, it would be worth a lot more.

Do you guys think "as is", knowing every little part of the boat needs some little form of attention, ~3K is a semi fair friends price?
If it were running and cleaned up a little bit, would it fetch ~5K$?

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
If you sell you sell...no longer on your radar.

If you sell to friends make sure everything is on the up and up and converse together about the pitfalls you want to avoid. If it costs a friendship it wasn't worth the hassle.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
If you sell you sell...no longer on your radar.

If you sell to friends make sure everything is on the up and up and converse together about the pitfalls you want to avoid. If it costs a friendship it wasn't worth the hassle.

Bingo. I'm glad everyone here agrees with me on that aspect of the deal. I guess I need to try to figure out how to sell it without them knowing? 2 of them keep asking about it.

This is why I hate selling stuff, and why I keep everything. :)

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Does anyone wanna take a stab at a rough price? Is my 3-5K range fair for a boat thats in decent shape, needs a little cleaning up?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Im looking for some better pics, but heres 2 more for now. Obviously...the smaller boat. :)

DSC01710.jpg DSC01726.jpg

Taboma

Reaction score
Is the custom black bimini included ? :D

Fun looking boat, hmmmmm, ---- no no no, put the pipe down Taboma :rolleyes

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Is the custom black bimini included ? :D

Fun looking boat, hmmmmm, ---- no no no, put the pipe down Taboma :rolleyes

For the right price it could be! Its not stainless, but its speed rated to as high of a speed as you can handle!

ridebig

Reaction score
Did a guy named Ed own this boat back in the '80s? If it's the boat I'm thinking of it does run very well.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If I didn't have kids I'd be trying to make this work for me.but with 2 little girls the next boat I'd be getting will have to be slightly more family friendly.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
This is the greatest Lounge Spam ever. You may have stole the 2FF secret [emoji2]

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Did a guy named Ed own this boat back in the '80s? If it's the boat I'm thinking of it does run very well.

It was purchased as a bare hull, then lost in divorce. The wife ended up with the hull and moved to albuquerque. It ended up at steps american marine here, and larry step rigged/put a motor on it. It changed hands 2-3x between a few jet boters my dad new, then my dad bought it in ~1990. It had an alum prop on it and only ran like 55mph. It runs good now though. It has ran 77mph thru the 1/4 before here at ~4400 ft altitude. Its a fairly heavy layup too. I believe its 1 of only about 10 of those hulls. And 2 in that color, my cousin owns the twin. But even his, being one serial number off, has some differences in the steps in the hull. Mine is drier and faster with the same power as his. It has a sticker in it that says something like "for competition use only, not uscg approved, blah blah".

If I didn't have kids I'd be trying to make this work for me.but with 2 little girls the next boat I'd be getting will have to be slightly more family friendly.
Thats exactly why I have no use for it anymore, and why I ended up with the carrera.

This is the greatest Lounge Spam ever. You may have stole the 2FF secret [emoji2]

Lol...that wasn't my intention. But if it works... ;)

I really am torn what to do! Do i sell it as is? Do I fix it, take it out to the lake for a day with the boys so all 3 of them at least got to ride in the boat I grew up in as a kid, then sell it? How do I decide which friend gets it? How do I sell it to someone else without telling them?? UGH. Maybe letting it rot away is easier!!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I kinda get a kick out of these threads.. the authors always get uber pissed when I say "I think it's worth about half of that..". :D. I've done that to a couple people now and they didn't find it funny. I thought it was hilarious.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That said where is it? at 3k. I'll buy it and fix it up and sell it

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I kinda get a kick out of these threads.. the authors always get uber pissed when I say "I think it's worth about half of that..". :D. I've done that to a couple people now and they didn't find it funny. I thought it was hilarious.

Haha, if everyone would have told me its worth 1500$...that would save me a lot of grief. Then I wouldn't feel guilty letting it sit there and hopefully not rot by the time my kids are old enough to make use of it!! The main purpose of this thread was to not ruin friendships, not regret selling something I grew up in, etc...but everyone says sell...so sell it is.

That said where is it? at 3k. I'll buy it and fix it up and sell it

Looks like that's gonna be the friend price, as is. If they don't want it, Ill either put a day in it and get it running and take my kids for a ride then offload it, or you can come to NM and get it Dave. ;) But since that's the best friends deal, we will have to be best friends after that.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You saying we aren't? my feelings are hurt now

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Well shit. I haven't even sold the boat and already hurt the feelers of a bff I didn't know I had.