WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Zr2 Colorados

94essex

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these? Lookin at them and they seem like cool little trucks. I'd probably go with the little duramax. My only concern is the 5k tow limit. I know they're not built for that at all. But I still tow a bit here and there.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Anyone have one of these? Lookin at them and they seem like cool little trucks. I'd probably go with the little duramax. My only concern is the 5k tow limit. I know they're not built for that at all. But I still tow a bit here and there.
I got 1 I love it Z71 I wish I knew they had DMax when I got it
B927C2F2-3D55-4032-8F5C-51CCBB02359F.jpeg

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
I don’t tow much I got 3500 High country for that

Halvecto

Reaction score
I just got a GMC Canyon w/ DMax last month. It's the 2WD SLT with an ICON Stage 5 suspension system. Great ride and gas mileage. The engine has solid torque and plenty of fwy power. I haven't towed my Vector with it, but it will handle it fine.

I think the ZR2 has an upgraded suspension? They don't offer that model in the GMC.

For the $$, look for a clean, used Z71 like T&B's or a GMC Denali w/ DMax and check out the ICON systems. Might open up your choices.

Good article on this setup: https://motoiq.com/project-gmc-canyon-introduction-and-icon-stage-v-suspension/5/

Last edited:

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
I just got a GMC Canyon w/ DMax last month. It's the 2WD SLT with an ICON Stage 5 suspension system. Great ride and gas mileage. The engine has solid torque and plenty of fwy power. I haven't towed my Vector with it, but it will handle it fine.

I think the ZR2 has an upgraded suspension? They don't offer that model in the GMC.

For the $$, look for a clean, used Z71 like T&B's or a GMC Denali w/ DMax and check out the ICON systems. Might open up your choices.

Good article on this setup: https://motoiq.com/project-gmc-canyon-introduction-and-icon-stage-v-suspension/5/

I’ll sell mine :) I want the DMax ( just to piss wifey off ) lol

94essex

Reaction score

That an interesting idea. I like the canyon front ends more. Ya the zr2 has upgraded suspension and you can lock the front and rear ends which is cool. The z71 would be more practical and find one for bit cheaper. Thanks for the input

94essex

Reaction score
That icon suspension looks solid. That opens it up quite a bit

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I have a friend that has the duramax Colorado but not the zr2. He has pulled this tiga from Salem oregon to lake Shasta a few times with no issues. I'm not sure what the boat and trailer weigh but the boat is bigger than the truck. The first time he took it down there he was about half way home and relized he didn't empty a couple of the ballest tanks..lol pretty cool little trucks
IMG_0353.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Halvecto

Reaction score
That icon suspension looks solid. That opens it up quite a bit

It does give you options if you are specifically looking for the Dmax with the various styles of the Chevy or GMC.

I'm impressed with the quality of he Icon system fit/finish and the adjustable settings.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
All the magazine reviews if read on the Colorado/Canyons have been great! I haven't heard much of a single complaint from any owners either. The ONLY thing I have heard is a couple few people that got the BabyMax have said the V6 is actually a lot peppier and still gets pretty good mileage along with the higher weight ratings.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Halvecto

Reaction score
All the magazine reviews if read on the Colorado/Canyons have been great! I haven't heard much of a single complaint from any owners either. The ONLY thing I have heard is a couple few people that got the BabyMax have said the V6 is actually a lot peppier and still gets pretty good mileage along with the higher weight ratings.

I haven't driven the V6, but I also read and heard the same thing about it's power, mpg and overall feel. It's pretty amazing what they are doing to get power and efficiency with the V6 platforms.

With enough Google searches, you can find various gremlins are discussed inline with most every vehicle.

LazyLavey

Reaction score

My neighbor has the v6... definitely more pep! actually impressive..... but torque does not compare

94essex

Reaction score

Just lookin at the specs I'm actually pretty impressed by the numbers of the by. I found a Dmax in vegas I'm going back and forth on, lotta money for a small truck but they're cheaper than a raptor!

94essex

Reaction score
I have a friend that has the duramax Colorado but not the zr2. He has pulled this tiga from Salem oregon to lake Shasta a few times with no issues. I'm not sure what the boat and trailer weigh but the boat is bigger than the truck. The first time he took it down there he was about half way home and relized he didn't empty a couple of the ballest tanks..lol pretty cool little trucks View attachment 834450

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
That definitely weighs more then mine. That's reassuring. Itd be a lot more practical with just the z71.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Why are the bed rails on all the new "compact" trucks so fucking tall? The whole point of these used to be that one could reach anything in the bed without climbing in.
They arent compact trucks. There are currently no trucks produced that are classified as "compact". They are all mid-size.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
They arent compact trucks. There are currently no trucks produced that are classified as "compact". They are all mid-size.

Whatever. The bed rails are the same height as on my 2002 1500HD with bigger tires. That makes no sense.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Why are the bed rails on all the new "compact" trucks so fucking tall? The whole point of these used to be that one could reach anything in the bed without climbing in.
Like everything else, I'm sure there is a gov't requirement (somewhere) that requires X inches above the bed floor for the rails.

These are "world" vehicles so it could be a European requirement.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I can't get over how expensive these small trucks are especially with the Duaramax. For $2k LESS than the price of the ZR2 Colorado w/ duramax you can get a 1500 Trail Boss with the 6.2 and be faster, tow more, have more space, etc.

Doesn't make sense to me?

brianwhiteboy

Professional Lurker
Reaction score
I got my son a 2020 2wd gas V6 Colorado. Put a Ready Lift 3.5” SST lift kit which includes upper arms and run 33” BFGs with Methods. The truck pulled my 21’ open bow jet bote up the grapevine no problem. Towed like it’s not even there.

To correct the speedometer I went with a Trifecta tune that gives you a three driving modes. The sport mode option really wakes it up. No complaints or regrets here.

A84F264B-FA59-440F-B011-FBCF02E4CFE1.jpeg

0F75CD2D-BE77-418A-916B-86271A15D851.jpeg

85BB61B1-D407-48F7-A4BE-3F91B2D43D83.jpeg

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
Finally got a new to me truck. The v6 zr2. No buyers blues yet.
Nice truck! Those zr2s are pretty comparable to our Gladiator. We went with the 3.0L ecodiesel and we are extremely happy with it.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I can't get over how expensive these small trucks are especially with the Duaramax. For $2k LESS than the price of the ZR2 Colorado w/ duramax you can get a 1500 Trail Boss with the 6.2 and be faster, tow more, have more space, etc.

You are talking about a specialty off road midsize truck with a almost $4k Diesel engine upgrade. It is about the most expensive version of a Colorado you can option, compared to a mid range full size truck.

I like the Colorado better with the V6 personally.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
The ZR2 is an awesome machine on and off road. Great little truck. I tried to get one but the V6 just wasn’t enough for me.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
You are talking about a specialty off road midsize truck with a almost $4k Diesel engine upgrade. It is about the most expensive version of a Colorado you can option, compared to a mid range full size truck.

I like the Colorado better with the V6 personally.
I wouldn’t say the 6.2 counts as midrange, trail boss vs ZR2, sure I guess? you’re really talking cosmetic options at that point though.

As far as specialty off-road, ehh. 😁

btw, I have a Colorado in our fleet, so not bashing I just think with the diesel option price I would go full-size gas.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say the 6.2 counts as midrange, trail boss vs ZR2, sure I guess? you’re really talking cosmetic options at that point though.

As far as specialty off-road, ehh. 😁

btw, I have a Colorado in our fleet, so not bashing I just think with the diesel option price I would go full-size gas.

Chevy is dumb, and I am
A GM guy. I can order an F150 XL work truck with no opions, vinyl seats and rubber floors with any engine they offer (maybe not the diesel but who cares).

I can get a $70k 1/2 ton Silverado with all the options. You are talking about a max optioned Colorado, Vs. a midrange (still nice) Silverado.

The Zr2 is pretty good off road, but it’s just another $4k option package that isn’t needed for most people. A z71 Or LS Colorado would be a savings of several thousands compared to the Trail Boss Silverado.

In any event, the midrange trucks are not a big savings. People buy them for the size, not so much the price. The Tacoma proved that, and is the only reason the Colorado and Ranger came back to the market.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Chevy is dumb, and I am
A GM guy. I can order an F150 XL work truck with no opions, vinyl seats and rubber floors with any engine they offer (maybe not the diesel but who cares).

I can get a $70k 1/2 ton Silverado with all the options. You are talking about a max optioned Colorado, Vs. a midrange (still nice) Silverado.

The Zr2 is pretty good off road, but it’s just another $4k option package that isn’t needed for most people. A z71 Or LS Colorado would be a savings of several thousands compared to the Trail Boss Silverado.

In any event, the midrange trucks are not a big savings. People buy them for the size, not so much the price. The Tacoma proved that, and is the only reason the Colorado and Ranger came back to the market.
Not arguing Chevy being dumb on engine packages (though it’s probably good business sense) and I have all chevys. I was going off the cheapest truck offered with a particular motor; You want the Duramax, you have to go ZR2. You want the 6.2 you have to go trail boss or above (used to be only LTZ). I think that was your point but it’s mine too. If I wanted to choose between 4 cyl Duramax or 6.2 with those trim levels as my only option I go 6.2 all day long and for me the only reason I would ever get a ZR2 Colorado was for the Duramax.

This of course is just my opinion and like assholes everyone has one.😂

port austin pirate

Reaction score
son got a colorado about a year ago 2019 4 wheel v6 nice truck, but put in toolbox cant carry much, I would have chosen 1500 with the 5.3 myself not much bigger and a lot more truck not a huge difference in mileage as well, bought year old low miles price ws similar.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not arguing Chevy being dumb on engine packages (though it’s probably good business sense) and I have all chevys. I was going off the cheapest truck offered with a particular motor; You want the Duramax, you have to go ZR2. You want the 6.2 you have to go trail boss or above (used to be only LTZ). I think that was your point but it’s mine too. If I wanted to choose between 4 cyl Duramax or 6.2 with those trim levels as my only option I go 6.2 all day long and for me the only reason I would ever get a ZR2 Colorado was for the Duramax.

That is a good point. You used to be able to get the Duramax in a LS or Z71 trim in the Colorado.

Once again, dumb GM powertrain options. I don’t this about business sense.. the 5.3 and 6.2 are freakin identical. Its better than a couple years ago where you had to get the highest trim truck to get a 6.2. Pretty much why I bought a Ford over a Chevy... that and the looks lol.

Riley1

Reaction score

Not comparable. A ZR2 has front and rear lockers. Rock sliders and a factory lift with spool valve shocks.
A Trail Boss (to my knowledge) is a small lift with black wheels. Reminds me of high school in 2000 when every bro had a 1500 with a 6” Fabtech kit and 35’s (and new ball joints every 6 months :cool:).
Anyhow, the ZR2 (diesel though) was on the short buyers list, but I just enjoy taking the doors and roof off too much. 👍

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

That is a good point. You used to be able to get the Duramax in a LS or Z71 trim in the Colorado.

Once again, dumb GM powertrain options. I don’t this about business sense.. the 5.3 and 6.2 are freakin identical. Its better than a couple years ago where you had to get the highest trim truck to get a 6.2. Pretty much why I bought a Ford over a Chevy... that and the looks lol.
You can get the Babymax in the LT trim still which is essentially what the LS trim was (no more LS trim package). That comes out to right about $36 to $40kish depending on body styles and 2 or 4wd.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
You can get the Babymax in the LT trim still which is essentially what the LS trim was (no more LS trim package). That comes out to right about $36 to $40kish depending on body styles and 2 or 4wd.

Correct. I was looking last night and thought that was the case, but didn’t see that engine in the LT drop down for some reason. I just looked again, and yep you can get in in LT. way cheaper than a ZR2 that way.

Havazoo

Reaction score
If you want some great insight contact Dave at Dutton GMC, Riverside. (951-643-7012) Dave personally owns a Canyon all set up for highway and off-road.
I can tell you this, in March we did a UTV trip from Parker to Yuma with approx 25 UTV's, one JEEP and Dave's Canyon. The truck is amazing and didn't miss a beat.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
For anyone interested check out my buddies youtube channel where he shows building a new Bison for overlanding.

94essex

Reaction score
Ya I was torn between full size and this one. I was lookin at the diesel but was having a harder time finding one. This one kinda fell in the lap while not lookin to hard and was the best priced one I could find. It's a lot different going from my Cummins to this.