WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2002 silverado 2500hd steering upgrades?

69hondo

Reaction score
Guys just put new shoes on this old girland probably need to look at replacing some steering and alignment parts again. I know these trucks have some week links here. Can anyone point me in the right direction or should I just go back to Napa for tie rod ends, idler arm and pitman arm etc. Has 6"RCD lift.

59477.jpeg

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@sintax it’s a personal preference for me with the tie rod/idler/pitman setup. Both great companies with proven designs.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Curious how many miles?
I have same truck and lift. Bought parts local at Oreilly drag link and idler arm in case something wasn't right
Hasn't needed anything else in steering in 96k miles
Only thing that needed a tow was the plastic tanks on radiator cracked

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I got the same truck. Here's what I did. I was a lot of money and probably unecessary for the little amount I drive it. But it looks good

toto

Reaction score
Call Redhead - They have always been pretty helpful. 206-364-3333. I installed one on my 04 and 05 and what a difference especially with the larger tires

Reactions: TPC

69hondo

Reaction score
Curious how many miles?
I have same truck and lift. Bought parts local at Oreilly drag link and idler arm in case something wasn't right
Hasn't needed anything else in steering in 96k miles
Only thing that needed a tow was the plastic tanks on radiator cracked

I have 196k on this truck and I did the frontend on it I think at like 112k. The front end is still good I just want to upgrade some things since I put new tires on it. It sits 90% of the time now.

77charger

Reaction score
I hav an 04 2500 w 6.0 with 227k i plan on redoing the front end soon as well.Its stock height but i know its worn too.But besides that been a good truck been through 2 wheel bearings,2 02 sensors,maf sensor,radiator recently,fised pump rub on t case,fan clutch,trans rebuilt at 170k,

New truck aint in my plans for a while especially at current prices id rather rebuild mine

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Same thought process @69hondo...front end is good to go but at 120k with a lift I’m preparing for a rebuild.

I’m a big OEM fan but there’s weak links that should be addressed. However it’s prudent to understand where the weak link shifts to after upgrading to this setup.

Last edited:

Boat Potato

Reaction score
I have the super steer idler arm, moog pitman arm and cognito braces, ppe tie rods, and a redhead steering box on my 05 2500. Alignment is always spot on now. Even the alignment shop commented on the setup and was going to start using it on these trucks that they service.

toto

Reaction score
I have the super steer idler arm, moog pitman arm and cognito braces, ppe tie rods, and a redhead steering box on my 05 2500. Alignment is always spot on now. Even the alignment shop commented on the setup and was going to start using it on these trucks that they service.
That is the ticket and how my 05 is setup. Never had a steering or alignment issue and straight as an arrow

toto

Reaction score
I proactively did it as that is the weakest link on the chevy's especially with larger tires. Peice of mind for me and the family as ours is not a pavement pounder by any means

evantwheeler

Reaction score
@toto @Boat Potato did you proatively replace the steering box with the RedHead unit or did you have a failure prior to?

@mesquito_creek are you still running the factory steeing box?

Send your box to Lee Power Steering. They install a third bearing and a billet top cap. Better than new. It was $600. Check the link i posted above and youll see a photo of it.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I had cognito tie rods and they were good. But when it came time to replace, finding just the inner or outer in a time constraint was impossible. Not the case with kryptonite. I still run my cognito braces. I have their pitman and death grip idler package. I have been very happy.

Edit: I have kryptonites death grip idler and pitman arm**

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
@toto @Boat Potato did you proatively replace the steering box with the RedHead unit or did you have a failure prior to?

@mesquito_creek are you still running the factory steeing box?
Yes… but I only am running a 285 tire. It’s not really lifted either. Keys, upper control arms and the idle arm kit. Great truck! Original owner 6.0 gasser..

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@evantwheeler this looks like a solid setup 👌
EF883257-CCE7-434D-8005-12AD3521EE1E.jpeg

What did you have into it for wrench time? Did you send them a separate steering box and swap or was the truck down while they rebuilt?

evantwheeler

Reaction score
@evantwheeler this looks like a solid setup 👌
View attachment 1023753

What did you have into it for wrench time? Did you send them a separate steering box and swap or was the truck down while they rebuilt?

Truck was down, I tore it apart after I was assigned a company truck and no longer had to use my personal truck for work. Turn around on the box was 2-3 weeks from what I recall. I was given a pretty solid wear & tear allowance for my personal truck when I used it for work, so I spent it on the steering. I really had no issues with anything in the steering as truck only has 82k, but it was a use it or loose it deal so I used it up! Tear down and re-install and bleeding I probably had 6 hours into it all. It is very important to flush the steering fluid out for new when you put new box on, its a requirement of their warranty. I also read online that dirty fluid causes seals to fail in the hydroboost, which is a common leak on these trucks. I sucked all the old fluid out of the pump reservoir and then filled with new and followed youtube bleeding instructions. I regret not upgrading the pump to the PSC SP1404, or a newer GM unit from the 07.5+ model which is supposed to be an improvement from the previous generation. I just wish I had more steering power at low RPM/travel speed for manuvering in parking lots and tight spaces.

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Hey @69hondo do you have an update on this?

I'm working on sourcing parts and scheduling downtime for my truck and wanted to hear what you thought.

Mine has an old ProComp drop center link/control arm kit w/ dual shock hoops. Not a fan but not sure going back to stock makes sense.

So far plans are as follows. Would y'all do anything different or add anything else?
  • LML hyrdroboost upgrade
  • Suspension Refresh
    • Remove ProComp Dual Shock Hoop & tired ProComp shocks
    • Swap to a single Fox/King performance shock on each corner. Any recommendations here?
    • Kryptonite upper control arm kit
    • Kryptonite lower ball joint for stock control arm
  • Steering Refresh
    • Replace ProComp steering stabilizer
    • Dans Diesel Performance steering line kit
    • Kryptonite death grip tie rods
    • Kryptonite death grip pitman arm
    • Kryptonite death grip idler support
    • Moog HD idler arm
    • Moog idler am bracket assembly
    • Kryptonite idler support gusset
    • I'd like to update the steering lines but haven't done much research on whats out there already kitted.
    • I'm also interested in a steering box upgrade but again lacking in research at this point but good info above.

Last edited:

69hondo

Reaction score

I'm working on sourcing parts and scheduling downtime for my truck and wanted to hear what you thought.

Mine has an old ProComp drop center link/control arm kit w/ dual shock hoops. Not a fan but not sure going back to stock makes sense.

So far plans are as follows. Would y'all do anything different or add anything else?
  • Suspension Refresh
    • Swap to a single Fox/King performance shock on each corner. Any recommendations here?
  • Steering Refresh
    • Moog HD idler arm
    • I'd like to update the steering lines but haven't done much research on whats out there already kitted.
    • I'm also interested in a steering box upgrade but again lacking in research at this point but good info above.

I have not done anything yet. Havent even put a thousand miles on it since I put tires on it.
It sounds like you have a good plan for what you are doing. Look forward to hearing how it turns out.
I have heard good things about Red Head steering boxes but I have not done much research either.
Keep me posted.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Guys just put new shoes on this old girland probably need to look at replacing some steering and alignment parts again. I know these trucks have some week links here. Can anyone point me in the right direction or should I just go back to Napa for tie rod ends, idler arm and pitman arm etc. Has 6"RCD lift.

View attachment 1023267

lifts and over-size tires tear up you steering.

evantwheeler

Reaction score

• Suspension Refresh
  • Steering Refresh
    • Dans Diesel Performance steering line kit
    • Moog HD idler arm

Lee power steering for the steering box. I should have had them drill and tap for hydro assist when they rebuilt my box. I wish i had a small Hydro assist cylinder in place of my steering stabilizer. I just dont feel the factory pump has the PSI at low RPM for parking lot maneuvering. I have 37’s, but have very reasonable offset so i dont have a ton of scrub radius like a lot of the bro dozers you see all over.

BigRedBryan

Reaction score
I went with PPE everything on my suburban and love it! Along with a redhead steering gear as well.

69hondo

Reaction score
@Marios Metalworks did you get to do what you had planned out above?

After just getting my motorhome stuck and only having my wifes 2wd suburban there to help its time to get the old 2500 strong and sturdy.

Let me know.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I think @pronstar had the info on who makes the good ball joints for these

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I think @pronstar had the info on who makes the good ball joints for these
Carli for Dodge, but I dunno much about these pats for Silverado…despite the fact that I drive a Silverado LOL

pronstar

Reaction score
I know the Moog Problem Solver BJs are pretty stout in general 👍

I run icon delta joints on my Silverado. I like them because they’re sealed. But honestly I can’t tell you with certainty that they’re better or worse than others…I haven’t beat on this truck like other trucks from my past.

Here’s a good vid that shows the various BJs out there

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I know the Moog Problem Solver BJs are pretty stout in general 👍

I run icon delta joints on my Silverado. I like them because they’re sealed. But honestly I can’t tell you with certainty that they’re better or worse than others…I haven’t beat on this truck like other trucks from my past.

Here’s a good vid that shows the various BJs out there

I did forget about the delta. But doesn't the delta sit in a uniball cup?

pronstar

Reaction score
I did forget about the delta. But doesn't the delta sit in a uniball cup?
Yeah I think it can be a univalve replacement, or it’s own cup if you have icon UCA’s like I do. I think the cup is a bit smaller…I haven’t watched that vid in a while but I think he covers it.

69hondo

Reaction score
Finally getting back to this.
Just ordered the Kryptonite complete steering set.

Last edited:

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
I wonder if you can run that in conjunction with the Cognito PISK kit?

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I wonder if you can run that in conjunction with the Cognito PISK kit?

No. Not with the straight link. Which is why I don't have it. They say you don't need it. I already had the PISK system and had no need for new centerlink.

Justsomeguy

Reaction score
I want to clarify my statement a bit. They say you don't need the pisk system with the straight centerlink. This is according to kryptonite. They say they have not noticed issues with the straight link that would benefit from a pisk system.

69hondo

Reaction score
I want to clarify my statement a bit. They say you don't need the pisk system with the straight centerlink. This is according to kryptonite. They say they have not noticed issues with the straight link that would benefit from a pisk system.
That was my understanding as well when I talked to them. What are you using for a steering stabilizer?