WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

69,323 questionable Social Security Numbers (SSNs) used to obtain $5.4 billion

Deckin Around

Reaction score

A report released by the Pandemic Response Accountability Committee (PRAC) on Monday has revealed that the U.S. government likely awarded about $5.4 billion in COVID-19 aid to people using questionable Social Security numbers.

PRAC stated in the report, "We identified 69,323 questionable Social Security Numbers (SSNs) used to obtain $5.4 billion from the Small Business Administration's (SBA) COVID-19 Economic Injury Disaster Loan (COVID-19 EIDL) program and Paycheck Protection Program (PPP)."

Gene Sperling, a senior advisor to President Joe Biden, commented on the report saying, "The report demonstrates 'the significant fraud and identity theft that occurred under the prior administration due to the lack of basic anti-fraud controls, as well as how consequential were the Biden administration's quick actions to reinstate strong anti-abuse measures in these emergency small business programs.'"

The report comes as the government is currently investigating numerous fraud cases related to U.S. government assistance programs such as the Paycheck Protection Program and unemployment insurance. In May 2021, Attorney General Merrick Garland established a COVID-19 Fraud Enforcement Task Force to investigate and address these fraud cases.

Digging Deeper:
An inspector general report from the U.S. Labor Department stated that fraudsters likely stole $45.6 billion from the U.S.'s unemployment insurance program. In addition to the federal government, states have also reported significant amounts of fraud relating to their unemployment insurance programs during COVID. One state, California, has estimated its unemployment fraud during COVID-19 lock downs set the state back by $32.6 billion.

Backlash

Reaction score
What percentage does the Big Guy get again? 🤣

Reactions: DWC

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Database integration or computing power issues?

If they can't verify a persons status in seconds when given a SSN why are they mailing out payments?

Like unemployment being collected by prisoners, PPP money going to businesses that never had employees on record.

A few keystrokes should be all that is needed to know everything about a person or business when you are the Government.

I think Canada does a better job with information than we do with far fewer resources. It's all about cross departmental data sharing.

bonesfab

Reaction score
Database integration or computing power issues?

If they can't verify a persons status in seconds when given a SSN why are they mailing out payments?

Like unemployment being collected by prisoners, PPP money going to businesses that never had employees on record.

A few keystrokes should be all that is needed to know everything about a person or business when you are the Government.

I think Canada does a better job with information than we do with far fewer resources. It's all about cross departmental data sharing.

Well if there was true accountability, Then the professional leaches known as politicians wouldnt be able to game the system as easily. The brothers, cousins and other family members that are all on the take. Or like the pentagon losing billions or trillions. what difference does it make at this point.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Lots of that PPP money went to companies that didn't suffer any slowdowns or had the need to lay anyone off. I know several who got big checks without the need. The Covid overreaction should go down as one of the biggest fiascos/boondoggles in US history.

Mrs. Riley1

Reaction score
I unfortunately know two people who collected unemployment during COVID who willingly had not worked in ten years.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
Lots of that PPP money went to companies that didn't suffer any slowdowns or had the need to lay anyone off. I know several who got big checks without the need. The Covid overreaction should go down as one of the biggest fiascos/boondoggles in US history.
I believe "fraud" is the word you were looking for

DLC

Reaction score

I have a friend that got a good check and never used it ….. Then they said KEEP IT your loan is for given ….

W T F ….

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
If there are going to be any additional IRS agents, they should be used to investigate the PPP Loans. Although, they can hardly be called loans, because the vast majority were forgiven. The corruption associated with these loans was catastrophic. Number of employees grossly misreported by many. Some who I know. LHC? I believe the London Bridge Resort received the largest PPP amount. During COVID their business appeared to flourish. Everyday was a weekend. Those from CA were being paid to not work and were here 7 days a week.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I think the PPP deal is over and done with. I have a very good accountant that used to work for the IRS many years ago. He told me last spring that the reason the IRS is hiring thousands of agents is specifically to audit small businesses in the US. That is where the government will get the biggest return $$ from audits.

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
also add, the 100's of employees which I employed who provided fake documents.... which the government gladly accepted and did not allow us to verify....

they "government" changed the game numerous times on employee verification identification during my 35 years....

I wonder what ever happen to all the money withheld from their paychecks, then paid to State and Federal agencies....LOL

Mike K

Reaction score
Hmmm … seems like there is no accountability for government employees.
Who hires these imbeciles?
The rest of the world is doing whatever they can to stay in business but government employees just continue to make mistake after mistake after mistake but all is forgiven because there is zero accountability .

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
This website will let you enter a zip code and you can see who in that area received a PPP that was forgiven. I was surprised who received them and in some cases how many they received and how much they were. This was a HUGE scam.