WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone own a Ford Escape?

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Found one that I am thinking of picking up for my daughter. 2016 with the 1.6L Ecoboost with 45k on the clock. I can get it for around $13k.

Seems like a good deal but not super familiar with them and how they handle/reliability....etc.

Any information is appreciated

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Don't own one, but worked on a few. Seem to be pretty solid until 100k...misfire codes, needing coil packs or just plugs, burning oil from the turbo seeping oil, but usually pops a cat code and people swap cats. A few months later the turbo goes full "John Force burnout".
Judging from the turbo/cat jobs, maintenance issues. The ones I did were sales type company cars. I haven't seen one start the coolant leak at the turbo, like the v6 in the trucks.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Don't own one, but worked on a few. Seem to be pretty solid until 100k...misfire codes, needing coil packs or just plugs, burning oil from the turbo seeping oil, but usually pops a cat code and people swap cats. A few months later the turbo goes full "John Force burnout".
Judging from the turbo/cat jobs, maintenance issues. The ones I did were sales type company cars. I haven't seen one start the coolant leak at the turbo, like the v6 in the trucks.

Solid information, thanks man. I have always been gun shy with the ecoboost because of the turbos. I prefer the no frills 2.5 4 cylinder that they have been building forever. Have a Fusion with 71k on it and only issue I had was a torque converter that was done under warranty. Other than that, car has been great. Would buy another for her but we want her to be in something more elevated to see traffic farther in front of her.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Can you say transmission failure?

Toyota Rav4 4 cylinder or Honda HRV/CRV if a small SUV is the goal.

Trying to stay under $15k and it is slim pickings for those brands. We were originally going to do an Acura RDX but everyone is high miles and almost $20k.

Searching up Nissan right now to see what's out there.

If anyone has suggestions, I am all ears!!!

We turned the Fusion into a company car for our BDM so need to find the kid a car before driving test at the end of February.

Singleton

Reaction score
Trying to stay under $15k and it is slim pickings for those brands. We were originally going to do an Acura RDX but everyone is high miles and almost $20k.

Searching up Nissan right now to see what's out there.

If anyone has suggestions, I am all ears!!!

We turned the Fusion into a company car for our BDM so need to find the kid a car before driving test at the end of February.
Just lease a KIA. If all goes well, you purchase it for her at graduation.

caribbean20

Reaction score
My daughter had a 2016 Titanium model until she cleaned the whole front end off in an accident. We replaced it with a 2020.

The ‘16 was down for a while with fuel injector issues, fixed under warranty. Her ‘20 has been trouble free. Fine car in my opinion.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Subaru forester or outback. My one daughter bought a used Hyundai Elantra it was was the luxury version she likes it. Probably want something that would hold up well in an accident…get a Tahoe

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Just lease a KIA. If all goes well, you purchase it for her at graduation.
About two weeks ago had an older lady come in with a vibration in a newer Sportage thing. It was an 18 or 19, about 75k on it. Bad motor mount...and it looked like a bitch.
Called the dealer to price parts, and the lady on the phone said it should be covered under warranty. Sure as hell, they covered it no problem, and quick. Really a plus, as I really didn't want to do that mount. Of the dealerships up here, so far they are the only fair and decent one. I hope it's a brand thing, not just our podunk dealer.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
We had a new 2017 for 3 years to about 36K miles. Never had one issue with it. It was a good car.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Good luck Joe. I know when we bought our son his first car in college we spent about 50% more than I wanted. Ended up getting him the Jeep that we still have and have enjoyed the years with it.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Good luck Joe. I know when we bought our son his first car in college we spent about 50% more than I wanted. Ended up getting him the Jeep that we still have and have enjoyed the years with it.

Thanks man, our plans really got thrown for a loop as the original plan was to give her my Fusion that is paid off. Instead we are turning that into a company vehicle for our new Business Development Manager who starts Thursday. I know we can spend more but don't want another car payment and need to stay under $15k to do that.

Here is what the Fusion is going to look like. Goes in on the 9th for the wrap.

696285991.jpg

BingerFang

Reaction score
Thanks man, our plans really got thrown for a loop as the original plan was to give her my Fusion that is paid off. Instead we are turning that into a company vehicle for our new Business Development Manager who starts Thursday. I know we can spend more but don't want another car payment and need to stay under $15k to do that.

View attachment 1194568

Starting a new business? Congrats!! I have a customer that does restoration clean up in San Diego, they do very well.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Already started. We launched back in August. Starting to hit our stride and adding the BDM will be really good for us.
I'm gonna ask, because I'm not to sharp on these things, what does a BDM do?

At first I had to reread it...no, that's "BDSM"...probably not in his line of work. Sales rep with a riding crop? The Gimp maybe🤣

fishing fool

Reaction score
6:19pm you ask a question about a car.... 6:11am you already have appoiment to get it a wrap. Sounds like you already had the planned out..

Found one that I am thinking of picking up for my daughter. 2016 with the 1.6L Ecoboost with 45k on the clock. I can get it for around $13k.

Seems like a good deal but not super familiar with them and how they handle/reliability....etc.

Any information is appreciated

View attachment 1194568

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
6:19pm you ask a question about a car.... 6:11am you already have appoiment to get it a wrap. Sounds like you already had the planned out..

The car I asked about was what we want to buy for daughter. The wrap one is our Fusion that we are turning into a company car and getting wrapped.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I'm gonna ask, because I'm not to sharp on these things, what does a BDM do?

At first I had to reread it...no, that's "BDSM"...probably not in his line of work. Sales rep with a riding crop? The Gimp maybe🤣

Business Development Manager. Will be in the field doing sales / account management for us.

dread Pirate

Reaction score

You just described my daughters perfectly.

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I put my oldest son in a Toyota Corolla hatchback (stick) for his first car. Drunk driver plowed into him and I solidly believe that little car saved his life. Second car I bought him is the Subaru Crosstrek. Great little 4 wheel drive car. Stick shifts gives a little more zip to the smaller engines and it serves as a millennial theft deterrent.

Sharky

Reaction score
Lot of people think you need a 2 ton vehicle on a truck frame because its safer in an accident.

Those little Corolla's do a fantastic job of protecting the occupants.

And, they are indestructible, simple to work on, last for ever & get great gas mileage.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
1974 Superbeatle. Simple, cheap, and easy to work on.

A cell phone and AAA towing.

Joker

Reaction score
Already started. We launched back in August. Starting to hit our stride and adding the BDM will be really good for us.
Hopefully you can bring some honesty into the game. 90 percent of these outfits are nothing but crooks.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
#1 When My daughter turned 16 I bought her a metalic blue GEO storm (looked like e baby Camaro" , one night we got the "call".... a few miles away she swerved to miss a Cat (her story) She hit a tree, a power poles and ended up in a front yard and yes hit the corner of a house No injuries car totaled. while transitions from the Geo she drove My Dads Ranger #2 and promptly hit a Deer #3 Then while living in Isla Vista she opened the long ass drivers door of Her new Trans am and a drunk driver promply took it clean off the car (it bounced down the street a ways) ..........I could go on , Now working on her Doctorate the majority of her cars 20 plus years later only have a few dings and dents fortunately

timstoy

Reaction score
When I worked for the city we had several Hybrid Escapes that would just quit running on gas or electric. They were under warranty and Ford could not find a fix and it was a intermittent problem. After the warranty ran out we tried several repairs but still intermittently quit running. After several near accidents the Escapes went to auction.

Joker

Reaction score
Lol true story man. That's why adjusters love us, I don't play those games.
I've got a good friend in Bakersfield with an international remediation company and I can't believe what I see some companies pull off. Was at a job last week in Big Bear and the company dropped off 11 drying units for maybe 800 sq ft when the homeowner told them he didn't know if water intrusion was covered under his policy which I can guarantee it isn't. Stuff was running for over a week and I told him he better get them out of there because those things add up quickly.
I don't want to get into discussions about another outfit where the 2 brothers look alike.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I've got a good friend in Bakersfield with an international remediation company and I can't believe what I see some companies pull off. Was at a job last week in Big Bear and the company dropped off 11 drying units for maybe 800 sq ft when the homeowner told them he didn't know if water intrusion was covered under his policy which I can guarantee it isn't. Stuff was running for over a week and I told him he better get them out of there because those things add up quickly.
I don't want to get into discussions about another outfit where the 2 brothers look alike.
Ya i've been on those jobs its insane. Give everyone a bad name.

rightytighty

Reaction score
I had a ‘16 for 2 years. Ran fine but surprisingly bad mileage ( with a small gas tank) . I was always getting gas. Annoyed me.

Switched to a Rav 4 that had more pep, more room and 40% better mileage and a bigger tank ( win-win)

Sharky

Reaction score
I second this, both my daughters first cars are Corolla's, great on gas, cheap to maintain and work on.

Put both my new, first time drivers (daughters) in Corollas.

They still drive them and have been as bullet proof as a brick shit house. Dad still holds the title on those.

Great little cars. Best bang for the buck for a new driver.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Update time!

Ended up getting a Ford Escape. We found one at Aaron Ford in Poway. 2016 SE with ecoboost and 38k miles on the clock. Has nice upgraded chrome alloys from Ford, power everything, dual exhaust and a pano sunroof.

One owner deal, seats always covered and nobody ever sat in the back. Passed my tests as far as clean and well taken care of goes. Kid is stoked.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Dexter had one, he drove it everywhere, until he rolled it. Luckily he was swift on his feet and disposed of the trash bags before the cops arrived.

Reactions: t&y

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Nice. I will be shopping for something similar in the fall when my oldest turns 16. I'm hoping that the car market cools off a bit by then.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Nice. I will be shopping for something similar in the fall when my oldest turns 16. I'm hoping that the car market cools off a bit by then.

We got pretty lucky on this one. Shopping with a sub $20k budget and wanting to stay closer to $15k, the options were pretty weak.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
We had a great buying experience with Aaron Ford in Poway. No add on BS, car was as described and we were in and out within 90 minutes. They also offer a lifetime powertrain warranty and this car qualified for it.

If anyone is looking, they have 2 Bronco Raptors in stock and a Mustang GT500.

$132k for the Broncos.........

Blue Oval

Reaction score
The Escape is a good car. Sold a ton of them. The 2.0 is bullet proof. If you are looking at a 1.5 or 1.6 make sure they are not using antifreeze. The powertrain warranty is a great safety valve.

pixrthis

Reaction score
When I worked for the city we had several Hybrid Escapes that would just quit running on gas or electric. They were under warranty and Ford could not find a fix and it was an intermittent problem. After the warranty ran out we tried several repairs but still intermittently quit running. After several near accidents the Escapes went to auction.
That was a coolant issue that cooled the batteries, eventually it was fixed under warranty even if the car was out of warranty. I experienced this with an Escape I bought for my daughter, the dealer in Medford Oregon handled it and gave her a loaner.