WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bass tournament cheaters

rrrr

Reaction score
“Stupid” is going after convictions with no proof.
Sort of like how Oj was found innocent of murder, but civilly liable for the 2 deaths.

All they can prove, at this point, is that those particular fish had lead and fish filets in them.
When did they put the lead in? How did they put the lead in? Were the fish even caught that day? Did both guys do it? If not, which one is “more” guilty?
I’m all for prosecuting them, don’t get me wrong, but there is work to be done to criminally convict. Is it worth the DA’s time and cost to go after fish cheaters? Yes, I understand the amounts constitute felonies…but there is only 5 fish from one event as evidence. Granted they can also include the championship earnings as those 5 fish clinched that apparently? Although it is unclear if that payout was even made yet?
Right off the bat you can throw out any past events and earnings as part of any case…unless confessions or evidence is obtained.
Plus, since the weights were discovered at the weigh in, I’m assuming no payouts were made yet at the event in question? So throw out actual restitution since they did not get paid yet.
Conspiracy to commit is more accurate since it’s one event and they presumably never got that check.
In short, those 5 fish, the only real physical evidence, seemingly never amounted to a dime of actual earnings for them.

Hey, at least they may have a future in off road racing? I’ve read that cheating is necessary to win those races?
OK, Johnnie Cochran.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
There was a guy in Texas that got busted a while back doing almost the same shit in a 'Bass' tournament.
It was a 'Biggest Single Bass' live weigh-in format.
The guy came in with a good one, and they weighed it, and he was in 1st place.
They had a large fish tank there to 'display' the fish for the audience/ spectators.
They put that fish in the tank and it immediately sunk to the bottom and didn't move. It was still alive, but something wasn't right.
They called Fish & Game, who pulled the fish out, massaged the belly and felt a 'lump'.
They pushed out a 2 lb. lead weight and the dude got busted.

The way the laws are written, these guy will probably only get a small (relative) fine, 'maybe' a little jail time and/or community service, and probably a lifetime ban on their fishing / hunting licenses.

They'll probably get more flack from their family, neighbors, community, jobs etc. . . . not to mention all the other anglers they cheated out of money in the past.
If they live in small communities, they better grow some eyes on the back of their heads.

Nordie

Reaction score
I saw a thing on YouTube where they seized one of the guys boats. I didn't click on it though, but the brief intro thing showed a fish and game truck hauling it off.

HST4ME

Reaction score
They are going to get fucked. As much they are very lucky they weren't hauled off in an amberlamps.

Tournament fishing on a large scale is no joke over here and most of the entry forms are lengthy with legal word salad as well.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
OK, Johnnie Cochran.

Lol, yeah I know. Good one!👍Although I see myself more as a white Jackie Chiles…

804774AD-B97D-4BCA-8B21-8DF74A9A73B0.jpeg

But I see a fine, maybe picking up trash for 6 months, and no more fishing career.
Sponsors will cut and run like they already have, and they’ll lose all their swag and free boats.
Maybe get beat up if they go outside?

The only way they’ll get legally hammered is if their lawyers are exceedingly stupid, and/or they don’t keep their mouths shut.
So far, they only have proof that they TRIED to cheat in one tournament. The did not succeed because, as far as I can tell, they never collected the cash because they got caught before they got paid.
Those fish aren’t retroactive evidence, and unless the tour has nomenclature stating that all winnings are forfeited if caught cheating at a single event there is no restitution. And that determination would probably be in civil court?
Even then any lawyer worth their pay grade could probably take that apart. At least to a point where a settlement would be offered. (Which would signal defeat for the plaintiff, and I would decline it)
We’ll see how it goes, but I don’t see any actual jury trials in their future.

The tournament might eventually file civil suits?

Last edited:

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Saddest part is they will probably get a tougher sentence than the Candy Bar Mafia

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I saw a thing on YouTube where they seized one of the guys boats. I didn't click on it though, but the brief intro thing showed a fish and game truck hauling it off.
the seizure is legit. DFG can and will seize anything used in the operation if they use the same rules as poaching. we were coming back in one night into davies during lobsters season. it was not uncommon to see DFG at the ramp checking limits, sizes and license once the boat was on the trailer but still in the water. seen them multiple times just tell the driver pull it over by the tow truck. they take the truck, trailer and boat. my understanding also is they do not go to impound where you can pay a fine to get them back. they are seized as evidence.

hallett21

Reaction score
the seizure is legit. DFG can and will seize anything used in the operation if they use the same rules as poaching. we were coming back in one night into davies during lobsters season. it was not uncommon to see DFG at the ramp checking limits, sizes and license once the boat was on the trailer but still in the water. seen them multiple times just tell the driver pull it over by the tow truck. they take the truck, trailer and boat. my understanding also is they do not go to impound where you can pay a fine to get them back. they are seized as evidence.
Trying to see why F&G would care about cheating a tournament.

Not defending these guys but if they didn’t exceed limits or keep undersized fish what can F&G do? Obviously seize the boat but on what grounds?

Desert Whaler

Reaction score

Not defending these guys but if they didn’t exceed limits or keep undersized fish what can F&G do? Obviously seize the boat but on what grounds?
Not sure of any specifics about all this, but the fish had Walleye Filets in their belly along with the lead weights for some unknown reason. A running thought was they stuffed them in there last to prevent the fish from puking up the lead weights . . . some say it was to prevent they lead weights from 'clanking' . . . who knows.

But I think there's a thing called 'Wanton Waste' in the Fish and Game regulations, (they want you to use all normally edible portions of the fish) so if they were filet'ing fish just to stuff in the belly, it would be considered Wanton Waste.

Is that worth seizing a boat??? . . . no clue . . . I kind of have a feeling they are going to try everything they legally can to throw the book at these 2 guys.
The fishing community up in those parts is pretty tight nit, and very part of the 'culture' . . . the good ol boy club is probably pissed as can be.

ltbaney1

Reaction score

@Desert Whaler is spot on from my knowledge of law. Im also not sure if it was DFG who seized the boat, nothing i can find and i havent looked that hard has said who actually seized it and on what grounds.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
If criminal charges have been filed then the boat would likely be seized by LE to search it for evidence. It doesn’t necessarily mean it’s an automatic forfeiture used in the commission.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Someone asked me if I had ever cheated in a bass tournament. I replied, 'Not that I'm aware of". LOL
Then I remembered in the late 90's I fished a tournament with a buddy out of Lake Martinez down in Yuma.
The day before the tournament we had been exploring some shallow backwaters . . . we had to use a push-pole to get through some of it.
We found some pretty nice fish in one area way in the back . . . so we left it alone.
On the way out I stopped at the entrance of the backwater which was barely a boat width . . . I took some 2# test monofilament and tied it to the tule's on each side right at water level, then put a little lead split-shot weight in the center so the line was just under the surface of the water.

The next morning at the tournament, we hauled ass straight there and stopped just before the entrance.
I took a rod and swept up the line which was still there.
It was a 'trap' to see if anyone had been there after we left, or gotten there before us in the morning.
Probably not the coolest thing to do, potentially wrapping some line in someone's prop . . . but it was just 2# test & maybe 10 feet.
It didn't help . . . we sucked. LOL

Guilty. 😈

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Someone asked me if I had ever cheated in a bass tournament. I replied, 'Not that I'm aware of". LOL
Then I remembered in the late 90's I fished a tournament with a buddy out of Lake Martinez down in Yuma.
The day before the tournament we had been exploring some shallow backwaters . . . we had to use a push-pole to get through some of it.
We found some pretty nice fish in one area way in the back . . . so we left it alone.
On the way out I stopped at the entrance of the backwater which was barely a boat width . . . I took some 2# test monofilament and tied it to the tule's on each side right at water level, then put a little lead split-shot weight in the center so the line was just under the surface of the water.

The next morning at the tournament, we hauled ass straight there and stopped just before the entrance.
I took a rod and swept up the line which was still there.
It was a 'trap' to see if anyone had been there after we left, or gotten there before us in the morning.
Probably not the coolest thing to do, potentially wrapping some line in someone's prop . . . but it was just 2# test & maybe 10 feet.
It didn't help . . . we sucked. LOL

Guilty. 😈
What if you electrocuted that water and caused all the fish to float to the surface and you picked out the fattest ones. I would be impressed

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
What if you electrocuted that water and caused all the fish to float to the surface and you picked out the fattest ones. I would be impressed
You would also loose because dead fish carry a hefty penalty.

Sherpa

Reaction score
pipe bumms under water don't hardly make any noise........ I've not done it fishing, just for fun. not for fish.......

it probably could be done......

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I love these internet lynch mob threads.
Where emotion trumps due process.

4Waters

Reaction score

BingerFang

Reaction score
IDK how I feel about this. They caught Bill Belichick and the patriots cheating more than once and did basically nothing and they caught the Astros cheating and did nothing, why do anything about this.

On the other hand maybe I applaud sports cheaters getting busted.

Maybe it is strategic by the NFL and MLB for not pressing charges against their cheaters?

wishiknew

Reaction score
I have a buddy that was a full sponsored pro bass fisherman. Everything was sponsored. His truck, the boat, all his gear, everything.

I took him out in my boat once, and I was surprised how little he know about boating. By the end of the day, I realized he just shows up and hops in a boat that is already in the water, and at the end of the day smashes it into the dock, and heads out while someone else trailers the boat.

I had him drive mine on the trailer at the end of the day. He damned near drove into the back of my truck. Then as soon as th boat was out of the water, he hoped in his truck and left. No help with wiping down, throwing out trash, or anything. 😳ll ride for him!!
No more boat rides for him

Last edited:

TCHB

Reaction score
If they went through the trouble of stuffing the fish, they likely caught them before the tournament..

People setup fish boxes and drop them in the water a few days before the tournament and then just go and retrieve the fish and claim victory..

They should have strung the guy up by his nuts
Liars and cheaters are the worst.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
IDK how I feel about this. They caught Bill Belichick and the patriots cheating more than once and did basically nothing and they caught the Astros cheating and did nothing, why do anything about this.

On the other hand maybe I applaud sports cheaters getting busted.

Fishing isn’t a sport. It’s a hobby.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Fishing isn’t a sport. It’s a hobby.
Like hobby hunting, hobby cars, hobby bars, lol.
Been trying to think of a hobby that can pay hundreds of thousands of $ if your good at it. Can cost hundred of thousands $ to compete in the hobby. That manufacturers will give you hundreds of thousands of $ worth of equipment to use and promote.
I guess there is , just can’t think of one.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Like hobby hunting, hobby cars, hobby bars, lol.
Been trying to think of a hobby that can pay hundreds of thousands of $ if your good at it. Can cost hundred of thousands $ to compete in the hobby. That manufacturers will give you hundreds of thousands of $ worth of equipment to use and promote.
I guess there is , just can’t think of one.

Have you tried boat racing yet? 😎

Dan'l