WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boat Canvas……. Price Rant

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I flat out cannot believe the estimate I just received for new canvas. 2 pieces. Of course these have to be custom made for my boat.

Canvas piece number 1. An open bow cover. $1400
Canvas Peice number 2. A cockpit cover. Approx 12’ x 8’. $2500

It’s over 4K with tax.

I already have the snaps too. For some reason I was thinking it would be around $1500 for both.

Here is a MFG link to my boat, just in case you want to confirm that we are not talking about a big boat. Lol

https://worldcat.com/models/230sd/

Right now……. It just feels good to bitch!

I might need to tone down my ambitions if the canvas is almost triple, of what I expected.

Rant over……

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Yep, just like every other overpriced items in our lives now. :(

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
If you can afford a World Cat you afford whatever they want for the canvas.
They are very nice boats.
Quit your bitchen and buy the canvas so that you still have a very nice boat.
:😀
I hope to own one in Belize in the not too distant future.
At least the labor to make the canvas will cheaper in Belize.
Lol

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
I flat out cannot believe the estimate I just received for new canvas. 2 pieces. Of course these have to be custom made for my boat.

It’s over 4K with tax.

I already have the snaps too. For some reason I was thinking it would be around $1500 for both.

Here is a MFG link to my boat, just in case you want to confirm that we are not talking about a big boat. Lol

I might need to tone down my ambitions if the canvas is almost triple, of what I expected.

Rant over……
Call Bruce at center point marina there in Wisconsin 262-333-0700 he handle my covers

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
As a point of reference I paid $3K for a custom cover on my 30' in maybe 2018... thought it was a lot but gotta say it was a great cover. Choose darker colors because they last longer guy told me.

Ct5

Reaction score

It’s over 4K with tax.

Rant over……
That sounds way high. I agree that around $1500 seems reasonable for what you’re getting. I paid $1800 for a full cover for my 28’ boat from Custom Canvas two years ago. They’re a very reputable company here in CA.

I’m debating detailing and ceramic coating my boat myself this year. Last year I was quoted, on average, $65/ft to buff and ceramic coat. I got someone to do it a little cheaper and It took two guys 4-5 hrs….they said they don’t do the interior either….MAYBE a wipe down if they have time. It looked great, but the cost seems outrageous to me.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
9 oz. Sunbrella marine is going to go out for $35-$45 dollars a yard. 5yds on the bow. Plus binding -$30 . Stainless DOT snaps -$40 . Sunguard thread- $12
1 day rent on shop keep lights on? Dunno?
Days wages? $450? Insurance etc
Business profit $
Snap set tool $200
Sewing machine $3500
I could see $900 +justified on the bow?

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
After I posted……… I called a member of my WorldCat group, who also lives just a couple of canals from me. I basically was just calling to bitch about the price of canvas. I was surprised to find out that they were quoted $10,000 for a bow cover and cockpit cover for their 32’ Dual Console WorldCat.

Here is what they did………
They purchased a sewing machine.
They paid $700 for all the yards of canvas needed.
They Paid $125 for the specialized thread.
They bought a snap installer
A box of snaps

They have not started yet. They are currently watching “how to” YouTube videos. We are all going to dinner this Friday in which I am hoping to talk the wife into doing my covers too. Lol

Did I mention I am now in a World Cat boating group?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
You’ll need these then
186CEC2C-0601-431A-AF70-100C63DA3867.jpeg

clarence

Reaction score
More seriously, you're talking about $2,500.

Can't let the little things bother you.

The market moves your net worth more than that every hour.

Protect your wife's time. It's more valuable than that.

Tank

Reaction score
Funny. I’ve been using the same canvas lady for like 20 years. I swing the boat by to get some repairs done on my full cover, price is like $500 I think that’s not bad. I say, hey, I’d like to do a new cockpit cover. She says, ok how big. I say I don’t know pretty small like 12’ by 8’. She said, $2500-3k. I was like no, not a full boat cover. Just the cockpit and there’s no special angles. She says, yeah, 2500-3k. 😳😳😳
I said, ok, I’m good thanks. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Shits crazy

Livewire Fabworks

Reaction score
We just had a new boat cover made before the beginning of the year. I was told by the lady that did our cover the material costs were going to jump up a decent about January 1st.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Do you know if the Group machine is a clutch motor or a servo?
Clutch takes years to master. Servo makes zero’s, hero’s. If you have any questions hit me up.

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
Canvas and upholstery are stupid expensive in Havasu. Way less in the Phx area and other places.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Do you know if the Group machine is a clutch motor or a servo?
Clutch takes years to master. Servo makes zero’s, hero’s. If you have any questions hit me up.
I am going to PM you. I have some questions.

River Runnin

Reaction score
What do you expect when you show up pulling a high dollar boat with a Bentley? :D

77charger

Reaction score
They probably ain’t paying low wages anymore either. And that’s not just the canvas shop goes up the ladder to suppliers too.

Wages and cost go up so it’s getting passed down. Only winner is government with the increased tax revenue

poncho

Reaction score
I have a couple of good friends that are considered the top guy's around, stop by there all the time so our dogs can play together. Always big project's going on in their shop, almost shocking what the costs are today.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
After I posted……… I called a member of my WorldCat group, who also lives just a couple of canals from me. I basically was just calling to bitch about the price of canvas. I was surprised to find out that they were quoted $10,000 for a bow cover and cockpit cover for their 32’ Dual Console WorldCat.

Here is what they did………
They purchased a sewing machine.
They paid $700 for all the yards of canvas needed.
They Paid $125 for the specialized thread.
They bought a snap installer
A box of snaps

They have not started yet. They are currently watching “how to” YouTube videos. We are all going to dinner this Friday in which I am hoping to talk the wife into doing my covers too. Lol

Did I mention I am now in a World Cat boating group?
And soon to be in a sewing group

boatnam2

Reaction score
Just did a backseat and 3 cushions, all white, no piping, bare bones deal, $1300 that's about a 1/4 of what boat is worth lol