WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cast iron cooking experts....

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking as well! šŸ˜‚
Question is how long does it take to get that finish? What's yore time worth? I'm not spending 5 hours and free shipping for $65 profit. What say ye on how to get a perfect finish?

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take mešŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Reaction score
Pork chops tonight
20211210_183431.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Question is how long does it take to get that finish? What's yore time worth? I'm not spending 5 hours and free shipping for $65 profit. What say ye on how to get a perfect finish?

With air tools, maybe 10 minutes? If you had to use a drill it might take a few minutes longer. No big.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Ok here goes since Iā€™m in a mood.šŸ¤”
Iā€™m not sure I buy the polished CI deal.
If you do a proper polimerization in your seasoning, and you do it 4 or 5 times, the surface finish SHOULD become irrelevant. And the ā€œtoothā€ of the CI should hold that surface better.
I have a stainless pan I bought that seemed right for my application. It has a thick bottom that should evenly distribute heat. It doesnā€™t work for shit. I did the water drop temp deal, everything. Then I noticed very small ridges like from spinning. I was going to get out my rolocs and polish it to show shine and see what happens. If it doesnā€™t work it goes in the trash. ( I bought it at the swap meet. Ya I go to swap meets)
So since I have a CI I neglected in my camping stuff I might just restore it and polish HALF of it and do a egg test.šŸ¤Ø

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Been posted before, but if you want a pan that performs like cast iron, is mirror smooth and lighter like stainless, buy a carbon steel pan. You won't regret it.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
If you do a proper polimerization in your seasoning, and you do it 4 or 5 times, the surface finish SHOULD become irrelevant. And the ā€œtoothā€ of the CI should hold that surface better.
I have a stainless pan I bought that seemed right for my application. It has a thick bottom that should evenly distribute heat. It doesnā€™t work for shit. I did the water drop temp deal, everything. Then I noticed very small ridges like from spinning. I was going to get out my rolocs and polish it to show shine and see what happens. If it doesnā€™t work it goes in the trash. ( I bought it at the swap meet. Ya I go to swap meets)
So since I have a CI I neglected in my camping stuff I might just restore it and polish HALF of it and do a egg test.šŸ¤Ø

I agree with the theory of the carbonization. But, I was at the store the other day and they had a big Lodge end cap display. I thought about picking up a 14 inch skillet and was looking the pans over. They felt like 50 grit sandpaper. The lodge skillet I bought 20 years ago was much smoother, though not like the polished pans. Lodge must have changed their casting process and got a rougher surface.

ElAzul

Reaction score
I took my biggest most neglected Walmart pan I haven't used in a while or ever seasoned and sanded it down. I only have my Milwaukee oscillating sander cutter delio some 70/240 grit paper and it was raining like hell but I spent a good half hour outside working this mofo. Here's what I learned, it's totally worth the time and cheap Chinese castings are pure shit, who'd of thought? They preseason these things so you can't see how shitty the casting is as you can see in the pics. To season I went against the grain and left it on high heat and just layered on some Blackstone spray seasoning stuff I had. I probably spent half an hour spraying some on and wiping with a regular paper towel, letting it smoke off while continually wiping off excess oil. Did that about 10 times while keeping it in the fire then let it cool. Then we whipped up another batch of tortillas which came out better than the last by far and made quesadillas. I intentionally let some cheese burn on the iron and it slid right off. I let it cool wiped it off with paper towel and done. Honestly this pan is going to Goodwill since it's from nipland but it was totally worth the hour or so to learn and dial it in. The biggest thing I noticed was how fast and well it took my ghetto seasoning job and now everything just glides. Never had a pan season so easily
IMG_20211211_162713088.jpg
IMG_20211211_164002124.jpg
IMG_20211211_165046248.jpg
IMG_20211211_165046248.jpg
IMG_20211211_165103953.jpg
IMG_20211211_170619629.jpg
IMG_20211211_183950859_BURST001.jpg
IMG_20211211_184923613.jpg

Last edited:

ElAzul

Reaction score
If the pan is used exclusively for frying then you donā€™t need to clean with soap and water but S.S. Will never develop that perfect layer of pure carbon that youā€™re looking to achieve on the cast iron of cast steel pan.
I disagree frying at 350Ā° will open up the pores and is literally the best thing you can do to season cast iron. Especially a new pan or one that needs seasoning

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Been posted before, but if you want a pan that performs like cast iron, is mirror smooth and lighter like stainless, buy a carbon steel pan. You won't regret it.

Do you have one you can post pics of?

Is it as thick as a typical cast iron pan?

You have me courious now. Thanks.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Do you have one you can post pics of?

Is it as thick as a typical cast iron pan?

You have me courious now. Thanks.

I've got a Mineral B pan by de Buyer, it was $50.

This brand is shipped raw so you have to season it from scratch, but treat it like cast iron and it develops the same seasoning and will turn jet black after use over time.

I switched to this after my last aluminum nonstick pan crapped out.

I've got three go-to pans in my kitchen, the carbon steel, my Lodge cast iron and an All-Clad stainless saute pan.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've got a Mineral B pan by de Buyer, it was $50.

This brand is shipped raw so you have to season it from scratch, but treat it like cast iron and it develops the same seasoning and will turn jet black after use over time.

I switched to this after my last aluminum nonstick pan crapped out.

I've got three go-to pans in my kitchen, the carbon steel, my Lodge cast iron and an All-Clad stainless saute pan.

I can see where they could have a place for sure. Seems like they make for great stir fry pans!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

To me, stainless is for low temp cooking. It's way too much of a pain to clean if you get something hot in it!

Nothing beats the thickness of a cast iron pan for getting things Evenly hot.

This learning how to cook thing is expensive! It's very much like working on cars...

You Need different tools for different jobs, or you'll struggle trying to do it right.

Different size pans. Different thicknesses. Different surfaces. And then different tools to use on those surfaces? Shit is adding up quick!

Just like in the shop, in the kitchen, At the end of the day, everything has to be cleaned up and put away. So using, stainless, cast iron or non stick has a lot to do with that too.

It's been fun learning so far. šŸ‘šŸ¼

sintax

Reaction score
To me, stainless is for low temp cooking. It's way too much of a pain to clean if you get something hot in it!

Nothing beats the thickness of a cast iron pan for getting things Evenly hot.

This learning how to cook thing is expensive! It's very much like working on cars...

You Need different tools for different jobs, or you'll struggle trying to do it right.

Different size pans. Different thicknesses. Different surfaces. And then different tools to use on those surfaces? Shit is adding up quick!

Just like in the shop, in the kitchen, At the end of the day, everything has to be cleaned up and put away. So using, stainless, cast iron or non stick has a lot to do with that too.

It's been fun learning so far. šŸ‘šŸ¼

Haha couldnā€™t be more accurate!

Roosky01

Reaction score
I have 3 cast iron pans. A new'ish Stargazer, a Lodge, and an old Griswold. The Stargazer is an excellent piece because of the smooth finish. I LOVE THAT FUK'N PAN! I will sand or machine the other two pans this year to a smooth finish as well in order to get the same results.

The Stargazer kicks the shit out of those other pans....

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have 3 cast iron pans. A new'ish Stargazer, a Lodge, and an old Griswold. The Stargazer is an excellent piece because of the smooth finish. I LOVE THAT FUK'N PAN! I will sand or machine the other two pans this year to a smooth finish as well in order to get the same results.

The Stargazer kicks the shit out of those other pans....

You know the rule...

The Capt

Capt. SF fireboat, St. Francis
Reaction score
I use lodge 12 inch and 16 inch all the time. I used an angle die grinder when it was new, then seasoned it. It was so slick the spatula would not slip under the egg. I had to pin the against the side to pick it up. Also it makes the best corn šŸ„Æ

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
After...

20220227_195125.jpg

Oatmeal cookies with Goji Berries and English Toffee Bits. Never made em with the English Toffee Bits before. I didn't have enough chocolate chips. Hope they taste ok!

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take mešŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Reaction score
After...

View attachment 1092074

Oatmeal cookies with Goji Berries and English Toffee Bits. Never made em with the English Toffee Bits before. I didn't have enough chocolate chips. Hope they taste ok!

Actually that sounds better than chocolate chips. But I like different every once in awhile! I'm a big butterscotch chip fan!

NicPaus

Reaction score
I prefer the Sam's Club non stick pans. Guess I need to try a cast iron been along time since. Cooking up Dinner now.

Attachments

• 20220227_195642.jpg
    20220227_195642.jpg
    867.1 KB · Views: 32

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Actually that sounds better than chocolate chips. But I like different every once in awhile! I'm a big butterscotch chip fan!

Truth be told...

They are better this way! A tad more sweet with the Toffee Bits than the chocolate chips.

If I don't stop eating them, they aren't gonna make it to the river! šŸ˜

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I have officially gotten that Lodge skillet seasoned pretty well. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get another one (different style), and try grinding it smoother before seasoning it this time. It just took WAY too long to get this fucker seasoned right.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I shallow fried some boneless chicken thighs tonight. I heated the oil on the stove, then moved it outside on the blackstone to fry outside so I didn't stink up the house. It worked great. I cooked some other stuff on the flat top also.

No chicken pics, but here is the pan. Nasty looking after cooking. Now I remember, I hate getting rid of oil. LOL

20220301_195600.jpg

ElAzul

Reaction score
Picked up this for $44.99 today 3.2 quarts is the perfect size for pretty much anything we will need to cook. The lid is literally twice as heavy as the pot and doubles up as a skillet which is a nice bonus and it fits my 100+ year old go to skillet so double score. Gonna try homemade chicken strips and gravy for dinner tonight. Also grabbed this Lodge baster for $12. No more melting plastic and blowing up stuff in the microwave LoL
IMG_20220302_124022542.jpg

IMG_20220302_123516662.jpg

IMG_20220302_123511758.jpg
IMG_20220302_123453868.jpg

Gonna make some of Kent's chicken strips n gravy

River Runnin

Reaction score
Seasoning made simple! ā€¦ just finished my new griddle!
1. Preheat to 250* for 1 hour
2. Turn up to 400* wipe on a good high heat oil
3. Every 1/2 hour ā€¦ wipe down with oil again.
4. Repeat until you have a good dark color!