WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Extended Warranty - Powertrain only - Pickup truck

Community

Reaction score
Anyone here sell them or can recommend one they have had to actually use? Trying to go direct rather than through a dealer but I assume that will pose an issue with the initial condition of said vehicle for preexisting?

Thanks!

hallett21

Reaction score
Diesel engine or transmission could easily be over 6k if you’re unlucky
Take an extra $100 a month and put it in a saving account. If you ever need it for repairs, use it.

You will be money ahead in a year.
l

Community

Reaction score
Diesel engine or transmission could easily be over 6k if you’re unlucky

l
My concern is this.....Its like a bicycle helmet, never had one but the first time I did where one I needed it when I went over the bars and a rock followed me down and hit me in the head. Bought one a Ford Fusion and it actually did pay for itself.

hallett21

Reaction score
My concern is this.....Its like a bicycle helmet, never had one but the first time I did where one I needed it when I went over the bars and a rock followed me down and hit me in the head. Bought one a Ford Fusion and it actually did pay for itself.
Do you already own the truck?

Taboma

Reaction score
Anyone here sell them or can recommend one they have had to actually use? Trying to go direct rather than through a dealer but I assume that will pose an issue with the initial condition of said vehicle for preexisting?

Thanks!
You've given no particulars, so I can only comment about an extended warranty I purchased two years ago. This was for my 18' Ford Raptor, I bought the 7 year, 60,000 mile Ford Premium Plan ESP from Flood Ford over the internet with a $ 50 deductible, the total cost was $1,000.00.
I waited about a week, then contacted my ford service writer and he confirmed it was in affect. I've used it a few times and it paid for itself the 1st time, due to my truck requiring a replacement of the Sync Module, the part alone over $ 900 for a new module.

I wanted something similar for my wife's Audi, nope, had to purchase through the dealer an those fucks wanted $ 4500 for something similar but with a much larger deductable. I passed on that crap.
All Flood Ford wanted was the VIN# and current mileage at the time.

Backlash

Reaction score
If I owned a Ford, I'd buy one too. 🤣👍

Hope you're doing well Buddy!!

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
New truck? What brand?

When I bought my Raptor back in 17 the dealer was charging a lot, I did some research and found there are a couple dealers that sell warrenties at a discounted price based on volumn. I think I saved about a 1K

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I have never been a warranty guy but with the current price of new trucks and labor/parts i just can't see myself swapping out trucks every 3 years anymore.

I actually just purchased an extended 50/50,000 mile for my 2020 trailboss this morning. Just seemed like the right thing to do and $45 a month seems cheap compared to fixing a 6.2 or 10 speed transmission.

Community

Reaction score
New truck? What brand?

When I bought my Raptor back in 17 the dealer was charging a lot, I did some research and found there are a couple dealers that sell warrenties at a discounted price based on volumn. I think I saved about a 1K
2008 Ford f-250 diesel....already had a high mileage 6.0 so I know the concerns....everything is so expensive right now have to go older used but dont want to buy a problem as I have asked on here about the 6.4 too. I need a work truck. EGR has been replaced and an ECM 60k ago.

Cdog

Reaction score
Make of vehicle would help? Why so vague on information?

Granger ford does $50 over cost for extended Ford warranty. That's what I bought

NicPaus

Reaction score
Do you need Diesel? One of my guys just bought a f250 work truck 2009 f250 5.4 with 175k miles for 8k. Very easy to work on and runs great.

Cdog

Reaction score
2008 Ford f-250 diesel....already had a high mileage 6.0 so I know the concerns....everything is so expensive right now have to go older used but dont want to buy a problem as I have asked on here about the 6.4 too. I need a work truck. EGR has been replaced and an ECM 60k ago.
No warranty is going to cover a 15 yr old truck.

hallett21

Reaction score
Not yet. I want to see if I can get the warranty and make sense $$
Personally I would buy the warranty through the dealer. Ideally a factory one. Of course a lot of dealers will start at something outrageous like 6-8k but I’d guess you could get it down to 3-4k.

Now if you’re buying the truck clear across the country I guess it doesn’t matter. But if it’s the dealer you will be using for service you can at least go over the terms line by line in front of the finance guy.

Have them point to where it says you’ll get a new motor if it goes bang.

Taboma

Reaction score
Follow this link, enter some info and see what if anything is available.

or here

Community

Reaction score
Personally I would buy the warranty through the dealer. Ideally a factory one. Of course a lot of dealers will start at something outrageous like 6-8k but I’d guess you could get it down to 3-4k.

Now if you’re buying the truck clear across the country I guess it doesn’t matter. But if it’s the dealer you will be using for service you can at least go over the terms line by line in front of the finance guy.

Have them point to where it says you’ll get a new motor if it goes bang.
It is a dealer but I wont service it there. There is a great diesel shop local but they only do GM. No Ford or Dodge....Dealer quoted 3500 but after asking 4 times for the company name, coverage and deductible still dont have it. I have worked for a dealer I know the margins but I also had access to what is covered, who underwrote it etc. The dealer is pissing me off but the truck would work....

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
All I can say is just answer the phone and ask them

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Go online and buy a Good Sam warranty, easiest co to deal with when I had a shop.

farmo83

Reaction score
I'm not a warranty guy either but when I bought my last truck Dodge had a lifetime one. It's good until i sell the truck or the cost of the repair cost more then the truck itself. It was 4k when I bought it and after last year is in the black. Granted this is dealership pricing. How it would do vs takign it to a regular shop I have no idea.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
IMHO factory extended warranties are the best.
But doubtful the factory will offer it on a 2008 truck, so it might have to be aftermarket.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have never been a warranty guy but with the current price of new trucks and labor/parts i just can't see myself swapping out trucks every 3 years anymore.

I actually just purchased an extended 50/50,000 mile for my 2020 trailboss this morning. Just seemed like the right thing to do and $45 a month seems cheap compared to fixing a 6.2 or 10 speed transmission.

👋👍🏼😁

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Make of vehicle would help? Why so vague on information?

Granger ford does $50 over cost for extended Ford warranty. That's what I bought
Yup $2200 for 7yr 100k premium coverage.

FCT

Reaction score

This. I never buy extended warranty but did for my 2020 Raptor for this exact reason. Anything going wrong anymore cost a fortune.

f12517

Reaction score
The problem that I see with many of these warranties is too short of mileage. Does a CP4 fail before 100k? Perhaps, but the odds of a failure after 100k is much higher which means a non covered loss. Does a tranny fail before 100k? Or more likely after? My experience is much higher chance of failures at high mileages which wouldn't be covered by the extended warranty.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
We have some wealthy friends, husband drove a Bangle-Butt BMW 7 series from new. He loves the car, and would keep paying BMW every few years to extend the warranty.

He found out about a year ago that BMW wouldn’t extend the warranty any more…given the three ring binder that’s full of warranty repair receipts, he finally decided to sell the car.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I've worked (*and still do) in the Service contract , MBI and Extended warranty industry as an onsite mechanical damage inspector since the inception of my business in 1986 I could spend hours expounding on the subject but busy boating season precludes it , If would like to chat call me anytime 8 to 8 pst I'll happily discuss the various options available to you. FWIW I just purchased once for one of my F150's

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Thats a 6.4 Truck. That engine makes the 6.0 look like a patron saint... which it wasn't.

I bet it appears to be a good price which is why your attracted to it.

I do know they can be modified to run right but I don't know if you want to endure that expense or effort.
Doubtful you can find any warrantee company to write a policy for a 6.4.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Didn’t read all the replies/posts…. Only buy from the manufacturer not a third party

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Thats a 6.4 Truck. That engine makes the 6.0 look like a patron saint... which it wasn't.

I bet it appears to be a good price which is why your attracted to it.

I do know they can be modified to run right but I don't know if you want to endure that expense or effort.
Doubtful you can find any warrantee company to write a policy for a 6.4.
My buddy told me about this smoking deal on a 6.4. Tried to warn him.

Yeah he has spent more in repairs than he payed for the truck.

Markus

Reaction score
Take an extra $100 a month and put it in a saving account. If you ever need it for repairs, use it.

You will be money ahead in a year.

Like Sharky says. Extended warranties are huge money makers for insurance companies and dealers. The dealer often makes more money from the selling the warranty than from selling the truck/TV/camera.

Better self-insure.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I just bought one from the Ford dealership last week. It was their top tier plan. 72 months from time of purchase, up to 100,000 miles. It was about $4,200 with a $100 deductible.

I don't know if they had lower plans.

Bajastu

Reaction score
Follow this link, enter some info and see what if anything is available.

or here

This is the exact way to buy a warranty for a Ford. I buy a new truck every four to five years and I always walk out with the lowest deal on the purchacse, no warranty from the dealer except the factory issued. I then turn around and buy the extended warranty from Flood Ford. Its a significant cost savings over buying it from the stealership.

I traded in my 2019 Raptor that had an esp from Flood Ford and canceled it and got back like $1,600 bucks back. I just threw it at the new warranty for the 2021 F250 diesel Tremor. I always cover my vehicals for five years / 100k miles bumper to bumper to lower cost of ownership.

Taboma

Reaction score
This is the exact way to buy a warranty for a Ford. I buy a new truck every four to five years and I always walk out with the lowest deal on the purchacse, no warranty from the dealer except the factory issued. I then turn around and buy the extended warranty from Flood Ford. Its a significant cost savings over buying it from the stealership.

I traded in my 2019 Raptor that had an esp from Flood Ford and canceled it and got back like $1,600 bucks back. I just threw it at the new warranty for the 2021 F250 diesel Tremor. I always cover my vehicals for five years / 100k miles bumper to bumper to lower cost of ownership.
How do you like that Tremor ? My son purchased a '23 Lariat SD powerstroke and I'm impressed with how quiet it is. I really don't tow anything heavy enough that our Raptor can't easily handle, but I find the Super Duty enticing, and I simply can't justify even trying to obtain a new "R" and wouldn't care for the 10 mpg for sure.

Bajastu

Reaction score
How do you like that Tremor ? My son purchased a '23 Lariat SD powerstroke and I'm impressed with how quiet it is. I really don't tow anything heavy enough that our Raptor can't easily handle, but I find the Super Duty enticing, and I simply can't justify even trying to obtain a new "R" and wouldn't care for the 10 mpg for sure.
The Tremor rides nicer than a standard F250, but you still know that it’s a F250 by the ride. It's basically the same cab and interior as the Raptor so the creature comforts haven’t changed. To be honest, I'd rather have the Raptor back because it was smaller and rode way nicer for a daily driver. But when it comes to towing my race truck or the boat, the F250 handles it way better. MPG is about the same, 16-18 mpg

FYI, lots of people lift the Tremor and remove the "Factory Tremor lift" and sell it on Craigslist. I'd buy it and install it on the Lariat.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
We have some wealthy friends, husband drove a Bangle-Butt BMW 7 series from new. He loves the car, and would keep paying BMW every few years to extend the warranty.

He found out about a year ago that BMW wouldn’t extend the warranty any more…given the three ring binder that’s full of warranty repair receipts, he finally decided to sell the car.
Bangle Butt, I like that.

Somewhere I saw a plate on a 90's M3 that read B4BANGL.