WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Havasu Boat Time

TCHB

Reaction score
How many hours in a year do you boat and how much $ do you spend on fuel, maintenance, insurance, tow vehicle fuel and lodging.
I am thinking most people run their boats less than 50 total hours. The channel crowd may not break 30 hours.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Around 40 hours on boat. Amounts to $305.50 a hour. But I also use my ski and get a few miles in off-road. That includes storage and lodging.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've been as high as 100hrs, and as low as 20. It depends on the year really. Boat being as fuel efficient as a 68 International Harvester, about 200-300$ a weekend. Lake lice are significantly less, and used often with quick trips...Saturday dunks.
About 100$ round trip in wife's car.
We don't eat out, and we don't have to pay for lodging, so that's a wash.

If it were brought down to dollars per hour on water, probably about 20-25 on average. Half the price of taking the kids to the movies. All my junk is old, cars, toys and river pad. That said, I'd much rather sit on a beach with my family, watching boats go by and people have fun, than watch crap in a theater;)

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
How many hours in a year do you boat and how much $ do you spend on fuel, maintenance, insurance, tow vehicle fuel and lodging.
I am thinking most people run their boats less than 50 total hours. The channel crowd may not break 30 hours.
Have had the x-flight 2.5 seasons technically. The first 1.5 I was still living in Texas and didn't come that much. I had like 99 hours on it for the annual last year at thanksgiving.

Lets say 40hrs a year (which will increase this year since we got the slip at riviera which I included in this calculation). Calculation includes fuel at our average burn rate at current non ethanol price in havasu, insurance via bostick, slip fees at riviera, annual service cost at BCM.
$351.90/hr

excludes lodging (house is owned/boat is in garage), and tow vehicle.

For every 2 hours on the boat engine we are probably out 4-5x that long..so including non-run time $35-44/hr on the boat. Worth every dime.

IMG_4571.JPG

Last edited:

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
We put 200hrs on the wake boats (we changed boats mid-season) and another 125hrs on the cruiser. We have put 35hrs on the cruiser already this year. We live in Washington State, and from about mid-May until early October we are on the water virtually every day. At one-point last year we were 24 out of 27 days in a row. The cost? I'd hate to TRULY know, its substantial for sure.

EDIT-- Just saw this was specific to Havasu. Disregard.

East Wood

Reaction score
We put 200hrs on the wake boats (we changed boats mid-season) and another 125hrs on the cruiser. We have put 35hrs on the cruiser already this year. We live in Washington State, and from about mid-May until early October we are on the water virtually every day. At one-point last year we were 24 out of 27 days in a row. The cost? I'd hate to TRULY know, its substantial for sure.

EDIT-- Just saw this was specific to Havasu. Disregard.
which lake(s)?

NicPaus

Reaction score
The good times = priceless. First time adding it up. And it's a lot less than I expected. I figured in the $500 range. I guess that would be easy to hit if bought boat new and figured in depreciation.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Typically 100 hours a year.

However, no boat now for last 2 years = zero dollars spent.

Maybe next year.

sirbob

Reaction score
Way less hrs than I’d like !

Familyties

Reaction score
Don't think about it, put 80 gallons in it and run it for couple of days from Havasu Springs to Topock, 3 dunes, Barley Brothers and Satellite Cove. So I make believe fuel is $1.50 a gallon and beer is $10.00 a case and comes with free ice so all is good.

IMG_4863.JPG
Don't wake me up from my Dream
IMG_4863.JPG

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Well, whether I use the boat a lot or a little the end of year services are always the same (for the basics).

I think out of all of it, I pay the most for fuel. About $100 every day I use it.

Boat insurance is reasonable and also a fixed cost whether I use the boat or not.

But my sanity recharge from hanging out on the boat is something that can’t be measured, and is also priceless.

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
18hrs so far in 2023 on the Bernico
4 hrs on the deck boat (24' sea ray cookie cutter thing)
16hrs on the pontoon
This weekend should be another 10hrs spread over the 3 in some way shape or form.

PXL_20230324_222816261.MP.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I have found it best to not do that type of math. when we go, it cost what it cost. if we dont have it in the account we dont go.
For most of our younger lives, our trips required math...a mental abacus.
House payment due here-, side job there+, utilities this date-...."do we have enough left to go for the weekend?"
"Not really, but I get paid Monday"

Hitch up and roll out! Slept in pickup beds and tents, friend's places then finally our own.

ChrisV

Reaction score
No idea. I try to go out every chance I get.

DLC

Reaction score
It’s like me who is on salary doing the math verses the hours I work to find out my hourly pay. Some things ya just don’t want to know 🫣
Well when you actually think about hours of operation you use the boat for an hour +/- then stop if a few hours the drive it again.

so a day on the lake is 2 to 3 hours but your out all day! At least that’s how it goes for me.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
One metric fuckton. 👍 You can’t take it with you…..

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
i avg about 70-80 hours a season,

fuel is a couple grand
storage 2k a year
insurance 300 a year
maintenance 1k year

tow vehicle is a couple grand in fuel for a season

memories with family and friends priceless

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I actually finding myself using the boats less and less. When I lived in California full time and was only coming out on weekends I made sure to spend the time on the water, now that I'm in havasu for the majority of my time I don't take the boat out as much, it's the mindset of "meh, we can always go out tomorrow, we have other tasks to finish today"

TCHB

Reaction score
Well when you actually think about hours of operation you use the boat for an hour +/- then stop if a few hours the drive it again.

so a day on the lake is 2 to 3 hours but your out all day! At least that’s how it goes for me.
I actually finding myself using the boats less and less. When I lived in California full time and was only coming out on weekends I made sure to spend the time on the water, now that I'm in havasu for the majority of my time I don't take the boat out as much, it's the mindset of "meh, we can always go out tomorrow, we have other tasks to finish today"
I have found that when you live there most people boat less and less. I was told this when we moved there full time but did not believe it. It is true.

Reactions: DLC

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
The real costs would also include:

Boat payments if you have a loan

Truck payments if you have a loan AND the only reason you have a truck, is because you have a boat. (insurance, fuel, registration. maintenance and fuel)

TCHB

Reaction score

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I like the fork lift!
No kidding, need to custom paint it and do a trick suspension seat.

No real reason to doit, but sometimes the stupidest stuff is the coolest stuff

TCHB

Reaction score
No kidding, need to custom paint it and do a trick suspension seat.

No real reason to doit, but sometimes the stupidest stuff is the coolest stuff
You should have seen us lift a hot water off the platform with that forklift. It made everything a lot easier. That is one tool I should have bought for my Havasu home.

Reactions: DWC

eand28

Reaction score
I think I maybe put 12 hours on it last summer