WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How much do you need to earn to be happy in your state?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
A survey from Purdue University and GoBankingRates.com found that you need a minimum annual salary of $108,360 to be happy in Arizona, just a tenth of a percent higher than the national average. "The state’s 3.3% unemployment rate is lower than the rest of the country," GOBankingRates stated. According to the study, Arizonans can get by on a minimum salary of $61,920 to satisfy their "emotional well-being."

"Globally, we find that satiation occurs at $95,000 for life evaluation and $60,000 to $75,000 for emotional well-being," said the study’s authors in the journal. The study also noted that the ideal income for "life satisfaction" in North America is $105,000.

"It’s important to keep in mind, though, that ‘happiness’ is subjective. The cost to live comfortably can vary from person to person," GOBankingRates noted.

Among the states with the lowest salary needed to be happy were Mississippi, Kansas, Oklahoma and Alabama, though with the rising costs due to inflation, every state requires over $87,000 annual salary in order to live happily.

As for the states with the highest required salary, they're the ones you probably expect: California, New York and Hawaii. California's required salary is $149,310, New York is $155,610, and in Hawaii, you need to be making over $202,965 in order to be happy, the survey found.

Note that the study didn't mention how nice the weather is in California 😂 😂 😂

Singleton

Reaction score
Only if you define happiness with money.
Learned many years ago, $$ does not buy time back.
I made more at my last job, but was one unhappy F. Always traveling, working 10-12 hour days, responsible for resources in the UK and Asia, so no off days and most of all never home to see my kids school activities, etc.

Roosky01

Reaction score
I’d say $125k here in WI will make you comfortable and allow you to have some toys, etc. $225k solidly makes you “happy” here, IMO.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I made well over the "Happy Cali" number when I lived in Cali...and was a miserable asshole.
I make well under the "Happy-Zona" number now...
I'm much happier. Still an asshole, but much happier🤣

No matter how much money you have or make, you can't buy time or health. I am happy with what I have, and try not to worry about what I don't.

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
Monkey, I try and follow these 3 simple daily rules ( only simple to say, almost impossible to do)
1- Be greatfull ( for the things you DO HAVE, especially if it’s health and family )
2- Don’t judge ( I totally suck at this, but I’m trying to improve every day )
3- Do 1 random act of kindness every day ( sometimes this 1 falls in my lap, sometimes I have to hunt, and do several to make up for missed days!!!)
I can tell you that just trying to do these 3 simple things will bring some personal happiness into your life daily. I’ve also made much more than I do now, but I wasn’t any happier - $$$$ makes everything happen/not happen, but I’ve found that this category can’t ever be fulfilled, which is why I started TRYING to do the above 3- I couldn’t get happy just working more/harder.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I suppose these studies would say you can only have fun and happiness on the lake if you have a Howard deck, a DCB or a Shiadia.

I guess I’ll never be happy. 😂

BingerFang

Reaction score
Reading this thread while watching a documentary about homeless people on Netflix… lol

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
If you have no bills, maybe. Lol.
Well, I can tell you paying off the house made me pretty damn happy...I do have an electric bill, and trash pickup though...damn horrible! 🤣

Monkey, I try and follow these 3 simple daily rules ( only simple to say, almost impossible to do)
1- Be greatfull ( for the things you DO HAVE, especially if it’s health and family )
2- Don’t judge ( I totally suck at this, but I’m trying to improve every day )
3- Do 1 random act of kindness every day ( sometimes this 1 falls in my lap, sometimes I have to hunt, and do several to make up for missed days!!!)
I can tell you that just trying to do these 3 simple things will bring some personal happiness into your life daily. I’ve also made much more than I do now, but I wasn’t any happier - $$$$ makes everything happen/not happen, but I’ve found that this category can’t ever be fulfilled, which is why I started TRYING to do the above 3- I couldn’t get happy just working more/harder.
Having been through financial hard times, physically broken and witnessing my parents' passing...all in relatively quick succession...my priorities are much different than they were. Probably different from most others my age. Others have the big boats and new trucks, but I'm doing just fine. Haven't made a payment in almost 10 years...my goals were reached, so set some new ones.

FCT

Reaction score
It’s not a number that makes you happy IMO. If it is then I believe your doing it wrong. I love money just as much as anyone but it’s not what makes me happy. Like someone else said it’s what gives you options and it allows you to buy cool stuff and do lots of fun things. If I didn’t make the money I do I personally would find just as much happiness in life because I’m just a glass half full kinda guy. Rich or poor is all perspective.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
A survey from Purdue University and GoBankingRates.com found that you need a minimum annual salary of $108,360 to be happy in Arizona, just a tenth of a percent higher than the national average. "The state’s 3.3% unemployment rate is lower than the rest of the country," GOBankingRates stated. According to the study, Arizonans can get by on a minimum salary of $61,920 to satisfy their "emotional well-being."

"Globally, we find that satiation occurs at $95,000 for life evaluation and $60,000 to $75,000 for emotional well-being," said the study’s authors in the journal. The study also noted that the ideal income for "life satisfaction" in North America is $105,000.

"It’s important to keep in mind, though, that ‘happiness’ is subjective. The cost to live comfortably can vary from person to person," GOBankingRates noted.

Among the states with the lowest salary needed to be happy were Mississippi, Kansas, Oklahoma and Alabama, though with the rising costs due to inflation, every state requires over $87,000 annual salary in order to live happily.

As for the states with the highest required salary, they're the ones you probably expect: California, New York and Hawaii. California's required salary is $149,310, New York is $155,610, and in Hawaii, you need to be making over $202,965 in order to be happy, the survey found.

Note that the study didn't mention how nice the weather is in California 😂 😂 😂

It doesn’t seem to matter how much you earn? You are still sad about California?

attitude

Reaction score
I don’t make 150k but I am as happy as I could be. Would it be a lot less stressful if I didn’t need to wonder how I can afford a 5k mortgage payment? Sure.

Money only provides temporary happiness, I know lots of guys who are always buying new things so they can get that “buzz”. My toys total values are less then some members sound systems in their boats lol.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
If you solely measure your happiness in regards to your salary you need a reality check!

My wife an I do above average by California standards but it doesn’t add or subtract to our happiness. We would be just as happy not working and living on the cheap! I’ve been associated with many people worth >$100 Million and let me tell you, most of them are some of the most miserable people you will ever meet.

Do the things that truly drive your happiness. I’m guessing for most people working isn’t one of them, lol 😂

Roosky01

Reaction score
It’s not a number that makes you happy IMO. If it is then I believe your doing it wrong. I love money just as much as anyone but it’s not what makes me happy. Like someone else said it’s what gives you options and it allows you to buy cool stuff and do lots of fun things. If I didn’t make the money I do I personally would find just as much happiness in life because I’m just a glass half full kinda guy. Rich or poor is all perspective.

Spot on.

Reactions: FCT

nameisbond

Reaction score
You don't need much in central Washington State. Property taxes are low, no state income tax and power rates are amongst the lowest in the US. Plan to retire there in 10 years. If it was Seattle or most places on the coast of the state. Cost of living goes way up.