WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How to Drive a boat with RD (non pg)

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
Imagine having a guest appearance with LuckyStike and have him explain things. LOL

boatnam2

Reaction score
Pretty solid videos, when will you be doing the single screw, river bar docking segment?

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score

Those with singles motors…….. I should shoot a video on how to fake having a bow thruster. Here is the basic concept. When leaving the slip, build up as much momentum as possible backwards, Then bump to neutral, then forward. I am adding the neutral, since most of you have outdrives, and can’t just throw it in forward, like you can with a diesel transmission. While throwing it in forward, turn towards the direction you want to go. When done correctly the inertia of going from reverse to forward will nicely bring the bow around. I suggest practicing this. It’s easy and very valuable to know. After a while this will become second nature and you will use this move for a myriad of reasons. Like straightening out to put single engine boat in slip. Reverse is your friend.

Also…….. if you have to turn your single engine boat around in a tight spot……. It will make the turn tighter, if you do the entire turn around in reverse. In this case, forward is not your friend.
Am I doing it right?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Shouldn’t make much difference in off plane maneuvering..
Great videos, keep ‘em coming!

I only have 2 things to add. On my twin ob carrera, props in vs out make a fairly noticeable difference around the docks. I feel like I have a fair amount more control with my props spinning out vs in. I’ve swapped lowers same day a few times and no matter what props are on it, same results.

Only small tip I can add, on mine the propshafts are 1.5” above the bottom. I’ve noticed putting a little positive trim in it also gives me much more control I’m reverse. Otherwise most of the thrust just ends up on the transom and probably down the tunnel to some extent. But if I trim up just slightly positive it makes a lot of difference. I’m sure it all depends on motor height, hull design etc…

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Boat Handling - Some previous mentions those large boats don't pertain to RDP. Truth is, if you can handle a small vessel, the larger varieties handle in a similar fashion. Of course delays, forces required and time/distance to stop are different. Watching RD operate his twin engine pontoon, I feel comfortable saying, with some wheel time he could also operate a much larger vessel. The basics are truly the same.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I am not sure what you are trying to do in the video?

But that is not even close to what I am describing. I don’t see you even attempting to bring bow around.

My scenario can be used in very tight places, such as coming out of slip with another row of slips, behind boat. The key is to build up reverse momentum, so that the change in inertia when shifted into forward, brings the bow around like it had a bow thruster. Sometimes in a tight situation, you might have to do the manuver a couple of times to get the bow 90 degrees from where you started. When done correctly……. You look like a real pro.

Just remember…… when doing this manuver, there is no room for error, or you will run into boats behind boat. It must be done confidently. Which takes practice.

For me, I know exactly how much momentum I need to bring bow around. I also know when I only have the space to get my bow approx 45 degrees out of the manuver. This means I have already decided that I will need to do the manuver twice to get my bow around to 90 degrees, so I can now head out the marina channel.

It’s funny to see the look on peoples faces when I untie at a slip…… and put boat in FULL reverse. The faster you go, the quicker the bow comes around. But you have to remember to steer the bow in the direction you want bow to go. If it takes 2 tries…… remember to straighten out steering before putting boat into reverse for 2nd attempt.

As a side note……. For those of you that rarely throw your boat into reverse, you should probably familiarize yourself with all the different ways your boat can be maneuvered in reverse. Just saying. For instance, because of prop rotation, it will turn one direction in reverse better than the other. Do you know on YOUR boat, which direction this is? There’s only one way to find out! Lol

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Spent time in the summer with the wife doing circles trying to get them as tight as possible. She thought that I was crazy at first but understands now after some time in the boat. I tell you I am so grateful for all those that including me in their boating lives. It can be stressful and I didn’t really have any idea all though years. Especially on the holiday weekends. 👍

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
Great videos, keep ‘em coming!

I only have 2 things to add. On my twin ob carrera, props in vs out make a fairly noticeable difference around the docks. I feel like I have a fair amount more control with my props spinning out vs in. I’ve swapped lowers same day a few times and no matter what props are on it, same results.

Only small tip I can add, on mine the propshafts are 1.5” above the bottom. I’ve noticed putting a little positive trim in it also gives me much more control I’m reverse. Otherwise most of the thrust just ends up on the transom and probably down the tunnel to some extent. But if I trim up just slightly positive it makes a lot of difference. I’m sure it all depends on motor height, hull design etc…
Lot of factors come into play. normally turning out will handle better ( around the docks) but be slower top end. also staggered motors are harder to handle around docks because drives are so close together
When i got my Cigarette 42x with staggered motors and props turned in i was kind of worried,
well it turns out that with those big ass Herring props it is easier to maneuver than my 38 was ( it had props turning out and not staggered) even in windy conditions

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Ironic You say that !
I came in last Saturday at a minus tide . . . I'd completely forgotten about 'The Drop Off' where that ramp ends.
My little boat sits low on the trailer and launching barely gets the truck tires wet.
I was backing in the trailer, while my buddy was in my boat idling around.
I always go slow, and I was looking in my side-view when my trailer just 'drops' !
Oh shit !!! . .I totally forgot . . . I hit the brakes quickly and popped the truck back in gear . .got lucky . . no prob. as it didn't fall but a little.
Could've been good entertainment for the Bistro Crowd !!! 😆
Well, very little viewers there since Covid the Bistro's been shuttered but yes that ramp was cheaply done maybe 10 years back. I was there watching them pour the "New" ramp and they didn't go out nearly far enough. I used the launch service and would have to be very tide aware cause they'd shut service down at +1 if it was headed to negative tide that day. Lots of thumps like yours as trailers fall of end of that shorty ramp. Glad you were able to yank it back up.

GreenEnergy28

Reaction score
I am not sure what you are trying to do in the video?

But that is not even close to what I am describing. I don’t see you even attempting to bring bow around.

My scenario can be used in very tight places, such as coming out of slip with another row of slips, behind boat. The key is to build up reverse momentum, so that the change in inertia when shifted into forward, brings the bow around like it had a bow thruster. Sometimes in a tight situation, you might have to do the manuver a couple of times to get the bow 90 degrees from where you started. When done correctly……. You look like a real pro.

Just remember…… when doing this manuver, there is no room for error, or you will run into boats behind boat. It must be done confidently. Which takes practice.

For me, I know exactly how much momentum I need to bring bow around. I also know when I only have the space to get my bow approx 45 degrees out of the manuver. This means I have already decided that I will need to do the manuver twice to get my bow around to 90 degrees, so I can now head out the marina channel.

It’s funny to see the look on peoples faces when I untie at a slip…… and put boat in FULL reverse. The faster you go, the quicker the bow comes around. But you have to remember to steer the bow in the direction you want bow to go. If it takes 2 tries…… remember to straighten out steering before putting boat into reverse for 2nd attempt.

As a side note……. For those of you that rarely throw your boat into reverse, you should probably familiarize yourself with all the different ways your boat can be maneuvered in reverse. Just saying. For instance, because of prop rotation, it will turn one direction in reverse better than the other. Do you know on YOUR boat, which direction this is? There’s only one way to find out! Lol
I was just F-ing around really... My buddy took this random video of me waiting for my wife to park the truck and trailer. I typically bump forward then cut the wheel and bump back to swing my bow around. Kind of an example of this seen in the video. My last boat (26' Hallett deck) was more responsive than the 28' Shockwave. I could practically spin that boat on its own axis. I am still learning the characteristics of the new boat. Still need some practice.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I was just F-ing around really... My buddy took this random video of me waiting for my wife to park the truck and trailer. I typically bump forward then cut the wheel and bump back to swing my bow around. Kind of an example of this seen in the video. My last boat (26' Hallett deck) was more responsive than the 28' Shockwave. I could practically spin that boat on its own axis. I am still learning the characteristics of the new boat. Still need some practice.
I think 'Bumping" is key here... as is the ole "In n Out"

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Lot of factors come into play. normally turning out will handle better ( around the docks) but be slower top end.

Bingo. I lose about 6-8mph on the top end spinning out. But it handles better around the docks. However, it planes easier spinning in, but stays on plane at a lower speed (wakeboarding and such) spinning out.

I need drives that can switch sides on command lol.

Kenboat

Reaction score
Good video, could you do one for driving inboard ski boat and a jet boat?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Actually I would like to go film all of these in a more “pg” fashion so that people can use them to teach their kids and wives etc.. currently boatless (well kinda) so I gotta go get another boat. Lol

Or borrow some for some off plane driving instructions

Wave Hi

Reaction score
How to, and how "not" to videos would be great. Especially if the are for specific problems people are having in certain circumstances around the dock.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
How to, and how "not" to videos would be great. Especially if the are for specific problems people are having in certain circumstances around the dock.
The how “not” to is already pretty well covered by youtube you just have to look for it.

And I don’t think anyone is volunteering their boat for the how not…

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
Great place for the video too, the springs docs are dam small.

I'm fairly self taught operator, glad to see I've been doing things correct all these years. I did pick up some points on the lines!

Thanks.

rush1

Reaction score
And it’s not a bouy it’s a fender etc.. just a few short years ago ain’t wasn’t in the dictionary either..

If I made a coastguard video nobody would watch it
Now that would be great entertainment !

Seas

Reaction score
When at Lake Havasu, I back my closed bow single engine 28' boat into a rented Havasu marina slip with my wife on the engine cover, mooring lines in hand, ready to keep us from hitting the slip finger as we slowly idle backwards towards the opening. If it is a fairly calm afternoon I won't completely embarrass myself. If it is breezy, the bow acts like a huge sail and it's pucker time! No matter how many times I do it, I can't routinely line the boat up so it is perfectly perpendicular to and directly in front of the slip opening. Backing into the slips in front of Topock 66 with the current going one way and the wind the other only works for me if I have a choice of several empty slips and I keep to myself which slip I am aiming for! At the Springs, we try and dock at an end tie. An instructional video for us single engine guys backing into a slip (and maneuvering forward out of it) with a fairly narrow fairway between slip docks would be most appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_2487.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
When at Lake Havasu, I back my closed bow single engine 28' boat into a rented Havasu marina slip with my wife on the engine cover, mooring lines in hand, ready to keep us from hitting the slip finger as we slowly idle backwards towards the opening. If it is a fairly calm afternoon I won't completely embarrass myself. If it is breezy, the bow acts like a huge sail and it's pucker time! No matter how many times I do it, I can't routinely line the boat up so it is perfectly perpendicular to and directly in front of the slip opening. Backing into the slips in front of Topock 66 with the current going one way and the wind the other only works for me if I have a choice of several empty slips and I keep to myself which slip I am aiming for! At the Springs, we try and dock at an end tie. An instructional video for us single engine guys backing into a slip (and maneuvering forward out of it) with a fairly narrow fairway between slip docks would be most appreciated! Thanks!

View attachment 1193645

Until I get a chance to make a video the one thing I would say is you have to change your mindset.

Stop looking at things like current and wind as obstacles and start looking at them as advantages.

Last edited:

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Actually I would like to go film all of these in a more “pg” fashion so that people can use them to teach their kids and wives etc.. currently boatless (well kinda) so I gotta go get another boat. Lol

Or borrow some for some off plane driving instructions
Nothing more difficult around the docks than a V-drive wake or surf boat. Don’t like to back up, and when they do will only turn due to the paddle wheel affect from prop rotation. Steering rudder has almost zero input on boat in reverse. Something I’ve had to practice with a lot. I can see why the new ones have bow thrusters, especially for those who don’t have experience or the desire to learn how to operate their vessel correctly. This is coming from my play boat that doesn’t shift out of gear while running. V drive makes that cold bitch seem like a pleasure.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Nothing more difficult around the docks than a V-drive wake or surf boat. Don’t like to back up, and when they do will only turn due to the paddle wheel affect from prop rotation. Steering rudder has almost zero input on boat in reverse. Something I’ve had to practice with a lot. I can see why the new ones have bow thrusters, especially for those who don’t have experience or the desire to learn how to operate their vessel correctly. This is coming from my play boat that doesn’t shift out of gear while running. V drive makes that cold bitch seem like a pleasure.

Usually they just back up and slightly to the right.. once you get that figured out if ya plan ahead they are pretty easy to run.

@mbrown used to back his wake board boat into a tight slip at Polynesian shores in Parker (one of the faster current sections of the river).. I did it once with a wakeboard boat I had for about a year, that was a little unnerving having never done it before but we got in there.

For normal spots in low or non current situations just plan your approaches and understand it’s only gonna work out one way.. lol

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Some of the very best professional boat handlers are the guys operating older single engine tug boats. We'd refer to them as the Bull Riders of the maritime industry. Single engine, large prop, large rudder and optimal use of their HP available. Impressive to watch. Yes, I know, tug boats don't apply here. I am just applauding their boat handling skills.

78DiMarco

Reaction score
This is a series of videos I recorded earlier this summer for fun and informational purposes. It doesn’t really fit the “pg / industry” narrative so we added a YouTube channel to our YouTube called “after dark” This particular series is six or seven episodes.

I will update with more episodes next week!

RD
I'd love to see a similar video on a 21ft V-Drive with a T400 with all gears. Reverse is a bitch on those things... :cool:

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Funny story . . .

I was at the Catalina Ski Race one year with my Chick at the time to watch the start.
We were in my little 15 Whaler.
I nosed in to drop her off at the South Shores Ramp to take a pee.
As I pulled away and out, some dude in what looked like a 30 foot Skater with twin Merc outboards says, "Hey can I ask You a favor"?!?!?!
I pull up alongside, 'Sure what's Up'??
He says to to Me, 'Do You mind going up to the dock and picking up my chick and bringing her out here, I don't wanna jack up my boat"?
I say, "No Sweat".
So I idle over to the dock, and down walks a 'Total Scene' . . . a petite micro-asian gal, super long hair, barely-there daisy dukes, a barely buttoned-up shirt tied in a knot showing off her midriff and holding up a pair of giant boobs, high heel stilletto's, giant sunglasses . . . the whole shebang . . . . she's even holding the bedazzled cell-phone with tassels hanging off and that finger-grip thing on the back !!!! 🤯

I'm like, 'Jeeezuz Christ, what have I gotten myself into'?
I gently pull up to the dock and in a 'Peter Brady Voice' say, "Hi, I'm supposed to take You out to that boat'. 😆
She looks at Me, and then the boat like, "You've gotta be fuckin kidding Me". Then she looks out at her dude, and he motions for her to get in.
By this time, I've got one leg on the dock, and one in the boat, and offer her my hand to help guide her in. 🤣
She reluctantly takes my hand and gently steps in . . . mind you, my boat is super tippy and about a foot BELOW the dock height, and there's not a square inch of carpet anywhere in my boat.

I hold my breath as she makes it in w//o incident.
I say to her, 'You can sit right here on this Yeti Cooler', (as if she might be impressed by that). 😆😅😂🤣 . . . which she does.
So I sit down and pull away from the dock with a, "Here we go". 🤪

Of course right about that time my chick starts walking down the ramp, throws up her hands and looks at my like, 'What in the actual FUCK'?!?!?!?! 😝😝😝
I throw out the obligatory, "I'll be right back"!!! 😄

So this 'Sporty Young Lady' is right in front of Me, sitting on the Yeti in front of the little center console . . . a strong smell of perfume is now completely flowing in my face! 🤪
I BARELY keep it in gear as I'm taking as long as I can to get out to the Gucci Skater waiting outside 😁😆😅

I finally make it out there, pull up along side and help her board the Skater w/o incident . . . the dude was super cool, thanked Me, and they were on their way.

I then idle back to the dock to pick up my chick, who's waiting with folded arms😳😳😳.
She hops on & immediately says, 'What the fuck was that all about????, "Could You have taken any longer"??? , then, "Jesus Christ your boat stinks of perfume" !!! 😅😂🤣

In the back of my mind I was like . . . 'YES' !!!🤘🤘🤘⚡⚡⚡

GOOD TIMES.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Something I still have a bit of a struggle with on my x-flight is this, especially if its windy....the front end of the boat captures enough air that you end up fighting to turn. It's the biggest single engine boat I've ever had...my 27, 33, and 36 cruisers all had twins.

I'm a lot better at it now but still not where I'd like to be on this boat.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I carry a proper length of Samson Braid line just for towing. I’ve found having a strong Carabiner Clip attached to an eye, or bowline loop, is easy to just hand to the boat being towed. Avoids problems with knots. They then just clip the carabiner to their bow eye. If they can’t reach it, I clip it on for them.