WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Looking for some RDP help

hallett21

Reaction score
My Brother in Law is doing a cross country excursion trip in his sprinter van. Sounds like he got bad fuel or it possibly gelled? It’s a freighliner diesel. He’s currently in Jackson Hole and no one can look at it until Monday. He’s planning on flying home to so cal for the weekend because hotel rates are crazy.

Curious if anyone in that area can recommend a diesel mechanic or if anyone knows what it would cost to flatbed the thing home. He’s 28 and decently mechanically inclined but fixing a vehicle that far from home sounds crazy by the time you fly back and forth.

He’s for sure not wrenching on this. Maybe @Outlaw Boat Transport has en empty trailer coming through there?

J DUNN

Unknown Member
Reaction score
I'm really surprised that it's cheaper to fly home and/or potentially flat bed that thing home instead of finding a room for a few nights for what might be gelled fuel.
Cash, patience and courtesy go a long way in getting somebody to help sooner than Monday. Just my 2 cents. Sorry I'm not much help otherwise.

PaPaG

Reaction score
Has he tried that product called Sno-cat, we have always been concerned about running a diesel in super cold weather and the gelling, I spoke to a bunch of snowbirds a few years ago and they all swore by some of these additives even after the entire system is gelled. Can't hurt to give it a try to attempt to save a ton of time and money on flights etc. I did some research, Don't know if this article will help or not.

Steps on How to Fix Gelled Diesel Fuel​

1. Pour enough dosage of Sno-Cat™ into the fuel tank. A good ratio is roughly an ounce to every 10 gallons of fuel remaining in the gelled tank. Using this much is usually not needed if you only want to prevent your fuel from gelling. However, this case is considered a more severe one because your fuel has already gelled. Take note that you need to have at least 2-4 ounces of the product left for the next step.

2. Remove the frozen diesel fuel filter and pour Sno-Cat™ directly on the filter element. Do the same to the filter housing as well. You will now start to hear the filter lines crack as the product starts to thaw these components.

3. Replace the filter element and housing and prime the diesel fuel system as recommended by the manufacturer. Wait for 30 minutes for Sno-Cat™ to work around the injector rails then start the engine afterwards.

Using fuel additives are a very easy answer to the question about how to fix gelled diesel fuel. At the end of the day, however, always remember that preventing the gelling of your fuel in the first place is much more important and useful. You can easily do this by using winter blends and priming your fuel beforehand with a fuel conditioner like Sno-Cat™.

cofooter

Reaction score
How cold did the truck get? It's been wicked cold out here in the Rockies. Had my diesel gel at -19 once. Started in the AM and ran good for about 10 miles til it ran out of liquid fuel. Had it towed to a heated shop and 3 hrs later I was off and running. Had them change the fuel filter as well but probably did not need it.

hallett21

Reaction score
How cold did the truck get? It's been wicked cold out here in the Rockies. Had my diesel gel at -19 once. Started in the AM and ran good for about 10 miles til it ran out of liquid fuel. Had it towed to a heated shop and 3 hrs later I was off and running. Had them change the fuel filter as well but probably did not need it.
I know at one point he was sleeping in -20

hallett21

Reaction score
Has he tried that product called Sno-cat, we have always been concerned about running a diesel in super cold weather and the gelling, I spoke to a bunch of snowbirds a few years ago and they all swore by some of these additives even after the entire system is gelled. Can't hurt to give it a try to attempt to save a ton of time and money on flights etc. I did some research, Don't know if this article will help or not.

Steps on How to Fix Gelled Diesel Fuel​

1. Pour enough dosage of Sno-Cat™ into the fuel tank. A good ratio is roughly an ounce to every 10 gallons of fuel remaining in the gelled tank. Using this much is usually not needed if you only want to prevent your fuel from gelling. However, this case is considered a more severe one because your fuel has already gelled. Take note that you need to have at least 2-4 ounces of the product left for the next step.

2. Remove the frozen diesel fuel filter and pour Sno-Cat™ directly on the filter element. Do the same to the filter housing as well. You will now start to hear the filter lines crack as the product starts to thaw these components.

3. Replace the filter element and housing and prime the diesel fuel system as recommended by the manufacturer. Wait for 30 minutes for Sno-Cat™ to work around the injector rails then start the engine afterwards.

Using fuel additives are a very easy answer to the question about how to fix gelled diesel fuel. At the end of the day, however, always remember that preventing the gelling of your fuel in the first place is much more important and useful. You can easily do this by using winter blends and priming your fuel beforehand with a fuel conditioner like Sno-Cat™.
I’ll forward this. Thank you

hallett21

Reaction score
Sounds like everyone is getting gelled fuel due to the temps

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Don't know which motor/filter that one has. 2 immediate things come to mind: Gelling(been covered) and if it's a DEF system truck. I've been seeing a few NPR's from the Flagstaff area freeze up the injector line and go into limp. Wasn't a problem the last few years, but is this winter.

hallett21

Reaction score
Got a hold of a mobile guy. Currently -10 degrees lol.

He’s going to get new filters and is going to fill it with his version of this anti gel stuff.

Tow trucks all through town are backed up because so many people have gelled fuel.

I guess he’s got a bay he could possibly get the van into tonight to hopefully let it warm up.

PaPaG

Reaction score
So glad he found someone that knew how to fix it and he is now safe and not going to blow $$$ and time.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I was going to say if it’s going to get below what even the anti-gel can do, look for a heated garage to spend the night in. Even if the heated garage is just above freezing it’s way better than below zero.

Dog

Reaction score
5506-1500390368.jpg

JJ McClure

Reaction score
Got a hold of a mobile guy. Currently -10 degrees lol.

He’s going to get new filters and is going to fill it with his version of this anti gel stuff.

Tow trucks all through town are backed up because so many people have gelled fuel.

I guess he’s got a bay he could possibly get the van into tonight to hopefully let it warm up.
Nice work sir

pixrthis

Reaction score
I hear from truckers that a couple gallons of gas in the tank helps, I’ve accidentally done it to my truck and it didn’t hurt it.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I hear from truckers that a couple gallons of gas in the tank helps, I’ve accidentally done it to my truck and it didn’t hurt it.
Couple gallons in a big tank I would think. I used to dump a quart in my old 7.3's tanks and it would light off a lot easier when cold. That was also IDI stuff. I don't know how the late model pumps and injectors would like it all winter?

hman442

Reaction score

That doesn't sound real warm and fuzzy on a late model ultra electronically controlled diesel, but the loggers and such that we used to have around here certainly did it with no problems caused. I'd try it before having to desert my rig due to cold weather.

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
It is quite common to cut fuel with gas when it gets stupid cold out, Jackson should have decent fuel though