IMG_0265.jpg
IMG_0264.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 13

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Those are super popular in Europe. They're making their way here. But the nacelles are pushing north of 220 tons now. It's crazy
That's a crazy amount of weight hanging off one side I would think...

HBCraig

Reaction score

rrrr

Reaction score
Space shuttle Endeavor being lifter with 3 of my cranes.
800 ton crawler, 500 ton hydro and 190 ton hydro

View attachment 1328670
Beginning in 2015, I've been reading news stories about the upcoming assembly in Los Angeles of the Endeavour stack and building a museum around it. I was pretty sure you would be involved, and have been intending to post in your thread to ask about your work in the action. Unsurprisingly, in my old age and diminishing brain capacity, I got distracted and forgot.

😁

Moving the decommissioned external tank and solid rocket boosters to the museum site for mating with Endeavour has been extremely challenging, but so far it's all gone as planned.

For me, one of the more interesting aspects of the project has been examining the specialized structures that were built in the 1980s for moving and lifting the components of the stack. The tanks were built by Boeing at NASA's Michoud facility near New Orleans, and the SRB sections were fabricated in Utah by Orbital ATK, now owned by Northrup-Grumman.

Versions of those huge yellow devices were also built for use at Vandenberg AFB, assembling the stack for shuttle flights from the launch facility and mating the shuttle with the NASA 747 that moved shuttles post spaceflight to California to Florida. More copies were used at Kennedy Space Center for moving the new fuel tanks and refurbished SRB sections from barges to the Vehicle Assembly Building, and erection of the shuttle stack inside the building.

I look forward to you posting more photos and providing comments about it. This thread always delivers great content, and I appreciate your efforts in keeping it updated.

This is a recent photo of progress on museum construction and movement of the external tank into position between the SRBs. The building is going to be over 20 stories tall. I'm sure some RDP members are participating in this, and would welcome sharing of their comments and experiences.

gsRoQbELN3KeUvnBZSoRkG-1200-80.jpg

Last edited:

HBCraig

Reaction score
Beginning in 2015, I've been reading news stories about the upcoming assembly in Los Angeles of the Endeavour stack and building a museum around it. I was pretty sure you would be involved, and have been intending to post in your thread to ask about your work in the action. Unsurprisingly, in my old age and diminishing brain capacity, I got distracted and forgot.

😁

Moving the decommissioned external tank and solid rocket boosters to the museum site for mating with Endeavour has been extremely challenging, but so far it's all gone as planned.

For me, one of the more interesting aspects of the project has been examining the specialized structures that were built in the 1980s for moving and lifting the components of the stack. The tanks were built by Boeing at NASA's Michoud facility near New Orleans, and the SRB sections were fabricated in Utah by Orbital ATK, now owned by Northrup-Grumman.

Versions of those huge yellow devices were also built for use at Vandenberg AFB, assembling the stack for shuttle flights from the launch facility and mating the shuttle with the NASA 747 that moved shuttles post spaceflight to California to Florida. More copies were used at Kennedy Space Center for moving the new fuel tanks and refurbished SRB sections from barges to the Vehicle Assembly Building, and erection of the shuttle stack inside the building.

I look forward to you posting more photos and providing comments about it. This thread always delivers great content, and I appreciate your efforts in keeping it updated.

This is a recent photo of progress on museum construction and movement of the external tank into position between the SRBs. The building is going to be over 20 stories tall. I'm sure some RDP members participating in this, and would welcome sharing of their comments and experiences.

View attachment 1328843
Appreciate the kind words. I'm lucky I get some cool customers that send me pics.

Very cool pic. The long yellow bar in your pic is called a "spreader bar"
Lots of rigging involved that's not cheap.

rrrr

Reaction score
Appreciate the kind words. I'm lucky I get some cool customers that send me pics.

Very cool pic. The long yellow bar in your pic is called a "spreader bar"
Lots of rigging involved that's not cheap.
That's a really large and capable spreader too. I.can see itt's rigged at protrusions on the tank where the forward SRB connections are. There's a large transverse beam running through the tank at that location that connects the attachment points to each other.

It's a little larger than the four footer in my shop I fabricated for use with my forklift.

😁

20240130_202126.jpg

Last edited:

HBCraig

Reaction score
That's a really large and capable spreader too. I.can see itt's rigged at protrusions on the tank where the forward SRB connections are. There's a large transverse beam running through the tank at that location that connects the attachment points to each other.

It's a little larger than the four footer in my shop I fabricated for use with my forklift.

😁

View attachment 1328872
Did you fab it up yourself?

rrrr

Reaction score
Great pics. I didn't know the museum was going up next to the Coliseum.

What's that area to the right that sorta looks like a park?

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Here is a little crane pron for @HBCraig that I saw the other day. This is at UH Manoa….

IMG_1732.png
IMG_1731.png

Oh also on the windmills. Was driving around the island and in Kahului there are a bunch of them. I was shocked to see how much flex there is in the blades under load. Let me post up a few pics to show how much they flex.

Stationary….
IMG_1752.png

Rotating…..
IMG_1751.png

Last edited:

HBCraig

Reaction score

JL95

Reaction score
would be interested to see what the price difference is from you guys to the china knockoffs making these monstrous cranes lol.

HBCraig

Reaction score
would be interested to see what the price difference is from you guys to the china knockoffs making these monstrous cranes lol.
The equivalent size unit is about 35% less from what I am told.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
350K lb panels
Lots of rigging
Biggest panels they've done with my crawlers have 530k lbs
View attachment 1335077 View attachment 1335078 Worked View attachment 1335079

350K lb panels
Lots of rigging
Biggest panels they've done with my crawlers have 530k lbs
View attachment 1335077 View attachment 1335078 View attachment 1335079
When I was an apprentice I worked on tilt ups for about 3 years straight, 30' wide by up to 54' tall panels for office buildings ( Quadrant Development), we always used a lattice boom NESS Crane rig with rolling out riggers = no suicide picks allowed! Nothing like watching the SOG crack when rolling in to position to set the panels, just about every step of erecting panels gets your adrenaline pumping and senses are heightened.

HBCraig

Reaction score
When I was an apprentice I worked on tilt ups for about 3 years straight, 30' wide by up to 54' tall panels for office buildings ( Quadrant Development), we always used a lattice boom NESS Crane rig with rolling out riggers = no suicide picks allowed! Nothing like watching the SOG crack when rolling in to position to set the panels, just about every step of erecting panels gets your adrenaline pumping and senses are heightened.
Ness Campbell is a top notch outfit