WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Music devices and time?

Dog

Reaction score
Depending on our age we listen(ed) to music through different devices. I loved every aspect how I heard it and still hear it.
The 50’s there was AM radio only. Eventually transistor radio with an optional wired earplug. Eventually FM radio.. eventually FM stereo. That was the best.
4 track mono players for cars…. to 8 track stereo. There was a stereo FM adaptor that played thru the 8 track player. Cassettes. CD’s, flash drives, SD cards and factory hard drive. Today is the satellite/cloud and car play. What did I miss and what’s next.
Music sources were 45rpm to LP to cassettes, 8 tracks, reel/reel, CD. The cloud. Loved the changes from mono-hifi-stereo- quadraphonic to whatever it’s called today. I still enjoy going through the record collection and laying an LP on the turntable. My neighbors son thought the LP was big CD.

What was your first source of sound. Do not say Crystal Radio…

Dog

Reaction score
My grandpa and I listened to records for hours in the late 70s early 80s. That was our hangout time. Bob wills, Hank Sr., Elvis. A personal favorites later in life, John Anderson - Just a Swangin', Dolly Parton-Kenny Rogers - Islands In the Stream

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I love the sound of an AM radio, tubes warming up, in an old car. It's more of an era thing from before my time. At home, oldies on 45's, big band to George Jones...but hair bands from the early 80's on 33's...because that's what I remember them sounding like.
The shop is a whole different world. CD's and MP3's...no set type, mood dependent and random AF at times...usually loud.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
My first source of sound was my moms pots and pans, and I was playing them like I was Phil Collins.

After that I graduated to LPs on a turntable. My three records I listened to all the time were The Beatles Sgt Peppers, The Eagles Greatest Hits and the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever.

Then cassettes, then CDs. Because I had an extensive collection of tapes I didn’t rebuy them all as CDs.

Today I rip CDs I continue to buy into iTunes and transfer them to my then iPod followed by my current iPhone. No streaming shit for me. I own the CDs (they are in a plastic tote) and can listen to music off my phone (headphones or CarPlay) all I want. And if/ when that quits working I can still play my CDs. I still have a Discman around here somewhere.

As for radios I started out on AM listening to the old radio shows get replayed at night on one of the local AM stations. The Whistler, Lone Ranger, etc. Then I got a car with an FM radio, but only had two speakers and only one of them worked. Played my cassettes in this car. Wasn’t until my next car supported CDs and had a full set of speakers that I figured out I had been listening to half the music for years and i was like “I don’t remember this guitar solo ( or drum solo) on this song…” Good Times!

Rock on!

Last edited:

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Dad spun vinyl, which got me into what was then classic rock (60s/70s music). I mostly started with cassettes for purchased music. FM radio was big in the 80s & 90s too. CD’s starting in 1991. Mainly stream music today, but have my 200 CD changer in the garage. Have some vinyl but no stereo to play it though. I did like to listen to AM radio in my 71 Chevelle and often think about connecting it back to the speakers. There’s just something about driving at night listening to the Oldies on AM.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I remember listening to Vin Skully on the ol transistor radio on a hot summer afternoon. Man that was living!!!

My dad had a tube hi-fi AM/FM/Shortwave with a turn table that I wasn't allowed to touch. But then one day...

Led Zeppelin 1 was released at the record store. Rode over there on my Stingray, bought it with my paper route money, and fired it up on that turntable.

My parents came home right about when I had Good Times Bad Times crancked up pretty good...

The looks on their faces was classic. Needless to say, they were NOT impressed!!! 😱🤣

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
FM to cassettes to LP‘s
I recorded the albums to my own CrO2 cassettes, they sounded way better.

I had a shitload of albums that I only played once or twice…I hung into maybe 10, am slowly rebuilding my vinyl collection

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
8 track,cassettes, 45's and LPs. First cd I bought was the wall from music plus on Whittier bl and ocean view. My first home cd player had a headphone jack. The first car cd player was a sanyo and it had a separate tuner that you had to hide in the dash. It was a bitch putting in my 4x4 ranger.

spectras only

Reaction score
Still have about 5-600 LP's, 60's 70's 80's. 1974 Kenwood receiver, Hitachi direct drive quartz turntable from 1975.
Had the limited, signed [ ca 2000 ] pressed Peter Frampton Live single LP, some of my son's friends must have walked off with it.:mad:
Revox and Teac RR with tons of tapes. Sony theatre system with Celestion Ditton speakers PBS sub for big screen tv.
And yes, when I was 10, we built a crystal radio using headphones to listen in the shelter of our apartment building, during the 1956 Hungarian uprising. Guy rented a room, running a radio service repair downstairs with lots of goodies for me and buddy to do something for 3 months we're hunkering down there. In the 60's I got a nice portable transistor radio with AM, short and long wave. My 64 Lincoln had AM only. My 1972 Challenger came with a Motorola recording stereo cassette player on the console, with microphone option from factory.

1675152141924.jpeg

I had some Enrico Caruso LP78 from 1916. Gave it to a friend who had some of those huge wind up gramophones. Maybe I should contact my friend if he still has them, lol.> https://www.ebay.com/itm/192694452966

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Before my parents marriage exploded we always had "State of the Art" Sound in the house.

TEAC or Ampex reel to reel feeding Marantz or Kenwood Pre-amp to Amp with big speakers. 17 watt per channel systems was the BFD.

Dad always had Blaupunkts in his vehicles. This was decades before the BMW or Break My Window Blaupunkt craze. Had shortwave, two different FM scales, good AM reception. Could pick up Van Nuys Airport tower, police calls, mobile phone conversations usually famous people like Neil Young,, fantastic.

Dean Martin singing in Italian, Sinatra, Count Basie, the Dillards and broadway show tunes would fill the house.
Amazed visitors & friends never heard anything like it when they came in.

As solid state made the scene something was lost in home sound systems sound depth and quality that the glass vacuum tubes units had. Bose' just figured it out in the past few years BTW.

Starting to hear the old throwback terms "Solid State" again with EV batteries and Hi Fidelity with some sound systems.

Back then FM was around but it was some guy playing his record or reel to reel collection from his living room broadcasting on a surplus Army transceiver. That had a unique, warm character all it's own.

They'd even give you a sound pacing que time to start your reel to reel if you were recording off the air. When FM Stereo made the scene the home-based broadcasters bought a second transceiver and tuned their broadcast signals an eyelash apart and you'd receive home FM stereo. That was a hell of a BFD.
High end sound & camera shops sponsored these guys.

Tape U A Tape was a nearby DIY shop where you could transfer you favorite tracks off your 45's and LP records and make your own Muntz 4 tracks. $5 included the blank tape. That was really something at the time as were the Muntz 4 tracks.

Use to listen to LA radio, usually Jim Carson who I still have drinks and breakfast with a few times a month. We both have SXS's and still roll to the Joint for drinks all these decades later.

Listening to the car radio in the morning in the school parking lot we had 9 minutes to make it to first class when the news came on. Pioneer Super Tuner was the BFD and it really pulled-in and held stations signals.

Radio contests were excellent. "Do you have a KFWB Candy Apple Red 409 Chevy parked in your garage?" Was one contest. Listeners would call over Los Angeles and if you happened to dial the right number and ask that,, the car was yours.

Last edited:

spectras only

Reaction score
Listening to the car radio in the morning in the school parking lot we had 9 minutes to make it to first class when the news came on. Pioneer Super Tuner was the BFD and it really pulled-in and held stations signals.
Cool story TPC. My 64 Lincoln had collector status. You couldn't install non OEM equipment shown, not even aftermarket radios. However, I had the Pioneer Super Tuner, hidden in the glove compartment and 6X9 Rockford Fosgate speakers replaced the factory speakers in the back.
Buddy had a 1970 Chevelle SS 4 spd with LS6. He had to replace the dashboard because had a hole cut for an aftermarket 8 trck in it, so he could get collector status afterwards.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
As a kid I used to carry around a japanese radio that was in a leather case. It proudly boasted “8 transistors” on that case and had a leather handle as it was comparatively large compared to other transistor radios since it had probably a 3 inch speaker. With A little chrome knob on the top, you pulled and extended a 4 section antenna that you scanned the sky with to pull the strongest signal.
The first Ghetto Blaster.
I would take that camping with my parents in the California hi desert and Big Bear. I had my own flouresent orange pup tent that I would spend my nights in searching the air waves for a signal.
I remember being pissed because the only channel I could pull had this guy that kept interrupting the songs, howling and laughing.
X something…

C-2

Reaction score
Like most, started with an FM receiver of some sort, mimicking pops and his 8-track Realistic system.

Found an old 8-track and got it to work. One day while digging thru crap in pops garage I found an old Gerard turntable. I don't how I pulled it off, but I remember buying a new stylus for it at Licorice Pizza and it worked!

First 45 record I bought was Fleetwood Mac "Hold Me" followed by the LP Eminence Front. Then like every teenager did in the day, I ordered a ton of records from Columbia House for .01!

At age 19 I bought an Onkyo "CD" stack system for $2K. After HS myself and some friends became backyard party DJ's. We had twin Technics 1200's, Crown amps and Cerwin Vega speakers.

Later, I traded the 1200's in for a pitch controlled Denon dual CD deck. I have never lived to regret anything more in life than getting rid of the 1200's. I still wanna cry. I still have the DJ system.

During Covid I wanted to spin vinyl again, but not on the DJ system - it's too loud, PA sound, and bulky.

I fired up the Onkyo system! Picked up kick ass studio monitors (actually 6, lol) and some other pieces and now I am pumping 600 watts into the 4-ohm monitors. Added a Pioneer PLX1000 DJ table that is pretty nice.

Also streaming "lossless" CD quality music via Tidal and a decent little desktop DAC. I built a RaspberryPI streamer, but it reminds me of playing with Kodi; ain't got time for that.

Ripping CD's in lossless FLAC format to a big ass SSD drive. Like vinyl was, CD's are being dumped right now for cheap, anywhere from .50-a couple of dollars on average.

And collecting and playing vinyl like a mofo.

Fun hobby, love it.

IMG-8053.jpg

IMG-8022.jpg

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Yall are a bunch of old fucks!

Growing up as a little kid, we always had a stereo in the main family room and we had a super badass amp that let you turn "A" and "B" speakers on and off for separate rooms. There was even a little needle that let you know when you were tuned in perfectly to your favorite radio station.

My parents always had this ugly little blue soft sided personal lunch pale that was stacked full of casettes for in the car with Styx, REO, and Boston getting the most play time.

The first CD of my own music I ever bought was 3 Doors Down-The Better Life which got played to death followed by The Offspring-Americana and Linkin Park-Hybrid Theory. I saved up my lawn mower money and bought an Osiris "mini G bag" backpack. That was the one that had the built in speakers and amplifier that ran off of 16 AA batteries and boy did I burn through them. I thought I was the shit back then with my stereo backpack and my 20" Mongoose BMX.

In HS I built my own computer and that changed the game because I built it for only 2 things. High powered web browsing and storing music. I had the most powerful dual core processor by AMD in it at the time with a TB hardrive and ran Windows XP because Vista was absolute slow garbage. and of course the all powerful CD burner! At its height, I had so much music that if I pressed play at the beginning of my libarary and let it play to its very end it would play non stop 24/7 for nearly 5 weeks. My library consisted of nothing but rock music and all complete albums. Many of my favorite bands I had complete discographies for. (All legally purchased of course 😉)

About at this time I had put together a nice little stereo in the Mustang and had also scrapped together a 5.1 system in my bedroom from stuff I found at garage sales and from my old 3cd changer Aiwa boom box. My parents loved that. I still have my Sony 5.1 Receiver (The 2nd one after I killed the Dennon) and Aiwa Speakers that live in the shop now with a bluetooth module hooked up of course.

I had stacks of burned CDs of all types and also had a Zune for a short period of time.

Then one day, my harddrive crashed and I lost it all. This was before the days of "The Cloud" and only crazy people had portable back up hard drives. I repaired my computer but my music library never fully recovered.

Today, I pay the $10/mo for Spotify Premium and its like I have it all back, always on me and in my pocket. Even when Im offline, I have about 1600 songs downloaded to my phone that I can play anytime.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Yall are a bunch of old fucks!

Growing up as a little kid, we always had a stereo in the main family room and we had a super badass amp that let you turn "A" and "B" speakers on and off for separate rooms. There was even a little needle that let you know when you were tuned in perfectly to your favorite radio station.

My parents always had this ugly little blue soft sided personal lunch pale that was stacked full of casettes for in the car with Styx, REO, and Boston getting the most play time.

The first CD of my own music I ever bought was 3 Doors Down-The Better Life which got played to death followed by The Offspring-Americana and Linkin Park-Hybrid Theory. I saved up my lawn mower money and bought an Osiris "mini G bag" backpack. That was the one that had the built in speakers and amplifier that ran off of 16 AA batteries and boy did I burn through them. I thought I was the shit back then with my stereo backpack and my 20" Mongoose BMX.

In HS I built my own computer and that changed the game because I built it for only 2 things. High powered web browsing and storing music. I had the most powerful dual core processor by AMD in it at the time with a TB hardrive and ran Windows XP because Vista was absolute slow garbage. and of course the all powerful CD burner! At its height, I had so much music that if I pressed play at the beginning of my libarary and let it play to its very end it would play non stop 24/7 for nearly 5 weeks. My library consisted of nothing but rock music and all complete albums. Many of my favorite bands I had complete discographies for. (All legally purchased of course 😉)

About at this time I had put together a nice little stereo in the Mustang and had also scrapped together a 5.1 system in my bedroom from stuff I found at garage sales and from my old 3cd changer Aiwa boom box. My parents loved that. I still have my Sony 5.1 Receiver (The 2nd one after I killed the Dennon) and Aiwa Speakers that live in the shop now with a bluetooth module hooked up of course.

I had stacks of burned CDs of all types and also had a Zune for a short period of time.

Then one day, my harddrive crashed and I lost it all. This was before the days of "The Cloud" and only crazy people had portable back up hard drives. I repaired my computer but my music library never fully recovered.

Today, I pay the $10/mo for Spotify Premium and its like I have it all back, always on me and in my pocket. Even when Im offline, I have about 1600 songs downloaded to my phone that I can play anytime.
Fucking youngsters😁
Nice to see "lawn mower money"
Instead of a chevy van with 3 guys jumping out to mow and blow 3 house on my block.
Lawns and leaves was how I rolled 5-8th grade.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
When I was in high school this was the best there was to have in your car.... 4 track and 8 track
View attachment 1194539
Had an uncle that had a Motorola record player in his bomb (37 Chevy fordor, "Chapel of Dreams" on the decklid) Only road in it once, but can remember the oldies playing. Also the first car I road in with hydraulics.
Not long after, he went "out of town" for 10 or so years🤨 Never saw or heard of the car again when he was released. Always wonder what happened to the car.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Never really had 8 tracks, I had cassettes and LP’s. That was my first experience with music that was mine personally and not my parents. Mostly hair bands in the early 80’s. Van Halen 1984 in my Walkman. I wore that out walking to school.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
How popular were 8 tracks? It was mostly before my time being born in 1976. Seemed to be installed in autos rather than pet of a home stereo.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Nice to see the vinyl record industry is booming 👍

There’s a sense of occasion when you physically have to take the time to even get a record to start playing, versus pushing a button on your iPhone.
I thought it was great vinyl was making a comeback. But, at $30 for a new album it’s a bit pricy. Used are not exactly cheap either. Still awesome the industry made a resurgence.

pronstar

Reaction score
I thought it was great vinyl was making a comeback. But, at $30 for a new album it’s a bit pricy. Used are not exactly cheap either. Still awesome the industry made a resurgence.
I keep tabs on vinyl that goes on sale, and I’m usually a buyer around $20-ish for music that I like.

SlickDeals posts vinyl deals pretty regularly, and I track values on Discogs

While I tossed most of my vinyl records when CDs came out, I was smart enough to keep my CD collection (threw the cases and artwork away, unfortunately, due to space requirements to store all that crap).

CD players are also getting pricey, I think people are increasingly gravitating toward physical media. I picked up a nice Arcam CD transport last year, and am enjoying dusting-off some CDs.

I’m super lucky to have a job at the crossroads of automobiles and audio, two passions of mine 👍

And my employee discount means I can afford the Gucci audio shit that Iusted after when I was younger 😂

Last edited:

cofooter

Reaction score
My first radio was a AM transistor radio I built from a kit from Radio Shack when I was about 10. Used to stay up late when I was supposed to be sleeping and try to find music stations. I acquired a used record player when I was in high school and started buying LP's. Zeppelin, Foghat, Van Halen, Eagles, Bad Company, etc. Used to sit in my room and listen for hours. I bought a small cassette recorder and made mix tapes using the record player and microphone so I could take my music with me, haha. In my late 20's I joined one of those record clubs where they send you 10 CD's for free for signing up and a few more every month for a few bucks. I was in that for years and ended up with 100's of CD's. I had an old laptop that I wasn't using so I turned it into a music server and downloaded all my CD's. There was an old external disc drive floating around work that had all sorts of good music on it. Not sure where it came from but I poached all of that music as well. All in all I have about 60GB's of music on my old server and over 13,000 songs and lots of playlists to this day backed up in several places that I can put on my phone or whatever. Also listen to spotify but do not have an account. I like their mixes.

pronstar

Reaction score
I have vs-120s and at-10s I believe. I use to have 15s :( fucked up and sold them
Big speakers…most audio guys (usually due to their wives hating them) have a love/hate relationship with them LOL

pronstar

Reaction score
My first radio was a AM transistor radio I built from a kit from Radio Shack when I was about 10. Used to stay up late when I was supposed to be sleeping and try to find music stations. I acquired a used record player when I was in high school and started buying LP's. Zeppelin, Foghat, Van Halen, Eagles, Bad Company, etc. Used to sit in my room and listen for hours. I bought a small cassette recorder and made mix tapes using the record player and microphone so I could take my music with me, haha. In my late 20's I joined one of those record clubs where they send you 10 CD's for free for signing up and a few more every month for a few bucks. I was in that for years and ended up with 100's of CD's. I had an old laptop that I wasn't using so I turned it into a music server and downloaded all my CD's. There was an old external disc drive floating around work that had all sorts of good music on it. Not sure where it came from but I poached all of that music as well. All in all I have about 60GB's of music on my old server and over 13,000 songs and lots of playlists to this day backed up in several places that I can put on my phone or whatever. Also listen to spotify but do not have an account. I like their mixes.
Oh man, your post brings back a TON of memories!

C-2

Reaction score
I have vs-120s and at-10s I believe. I use to have 15s :( fucked up and sold them
I have some too that were in storage for 20-years and they really didn't hold up too well.

I'm not a fan of old big speakers. I also have RSL's and some Missions (from the UK), but I prefer a monitor w/rubber surrounds and a nice sub.

IMG-8054 (1).jpg

C-2

Reaction score
I keep tabs on vinyl that goes on sale, and I’m usually a buyer around $2-ish for music that I like.

SlickDeals posts vinyl deals pretty regularly, and I track values on Discogs

While I tossed most of my vinyl records when CDs came out, I was smart enough to keep my CD collection (threw the cases and artwork away, unfortunately, due to space requirements to store all that crap).

CD players are also getting pricey, I think people are increasingly gravitating toward physical media. I picked up a nice Arcam CD transport last year, and am enjoying dusting-off some CDs.

I’m super lucky to have a job at the crossroads of automobiles and audio, two passions of mine 👍

And my employee discount means I can afford the Gucci audio shit that Iusted after when I was younger 😂
Same here, I receive weekly orders from Discogs. Super cool site/app that also categorizes and values your collection.

I'm like you, I troll for cheap records. :D

But I also buy new records if it's a copy that I know I'll be playing over and over again.

Everything at Amoeba and most other small shops sells for $30, but it's always fund to look. Target online and MerchBar are also good resources.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Really once the early 70s and multi track/analog/Hi-Fi/reel to reel/magnetic recording, the technology surpassed the ability of the human ear. For about 10 or so years from there, there was a delay in getting perfect audio to the consumer. The public were still on Cassette and LP For the most part.

Go back and listen to something like Steely Dan's "Do It Again" it came out in 72. Even if it's not your style of music it's hard to deny the quality of the actual recording, that was 50 years ago now.

Once we got digital pulse code modulation and the Compact Disc not only could the consumer get ideal sound, but the recording studios could replicate recordings without deterioration from playback.

Even your cloud or MP3 player is still using pulse code modulation to replicate the sound, the only thing technology has given us on that front is the ability to mathematically condense the data to fit into less and less memory without giving up audible sound quality. So really for 50 years our ability to replicate sound has reached it's pinnacle from a pure quality standpoint even though mediums have changed.

Probably the most recent major advance for sound replication was neodymium magnets for headphone speakers and earbuds. Prior to we were stuck with big bulky ferrite cores for the windings to do their work off of, Once we just super strong micro magnets we shrunk the size of the speaker by probably 10 times. And that is probably where the future lies, some kind of implantable device on your ear drum or in the ear canal that is even smaller again.

Last edited:

pronstar

Reaction score
Same here, I receive weekly orders from Discogs. Super cool site/app that also categorizes and values your collection.

I'm like you, I troll for cheap records. :D

But I also buy new records if it's a copy that I know I'll be playing over and over again.

Everything at Amoeba and most other small shops sells for $30, but it's always fund to look. Target online and MerchBar are also good resources.
I had to edit my post, I’m a buyer at $20-ish
Not finding too much in the $2 range LOL

• Haha
Reactions: C-2

pronstar

Reaction score
Really once the early 70s and multi track analog Hi-Fi reel to reel magnetic recording the technology surpassed the ability of the human ear. For about 10 or so years from there there was a delay in getting perfect to the consumer as the public were still on Cassette and LP For the most part.

Go back and listen to something like Steely Dan's "Do It Again" it came out in 72. Even if it's not your style of music it's hard to deny the quality of the actual recording, that was 50 years ago now.

Once we got digital pulse code modulation and the Compact Disc not only could the consumer get ideal sound, but the recording studios could replicate recordings without deterioration from playback.

Even your cloud or MP3 player is still using pulse code modulation to replicate the sound, the only thing technology has given us on that front is the ability to mathematically condense the data to fit into less and less memory without giving up audible sound quality. So really for 50 years our ability to replicate sound has reached it's pinnacle from a pure quality standpoint even though mediums have changed.

Probably the most recent major advance for sound replication was neodymium magnets for headphone speakers and earbuds. Prior to we were stuck with big bulky ferrite cores for the windings to do their work off of, Once we just super strong micro magnets we shrunk the size of the speaker by probably 10 times. And that is probably where the future lies, some kind of implantable device on your ear drum or in the ear canal that is even smaller again.

For sure. Vintage audio still has a place, and the technology is still often relevant.

The modded Denon 103 MC cartridge I’m waiting to get built was designed in the early 60’s, and is considered well above-average even today.

I hang onto some of my vintage and not-so-vintage receivers…it’s getting increasingly expensive to keep my The Fisher amp going these days.

FCAE1E9A-0ED5-4923-AFF4-607A5E19CA81.jpeg

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Home stereo was a Marantz Amp, Sony CD player, turn table, equalizer and a pair of good Cerwin Vega speakers with 10" woofers, mid range speakers and HF horns. Found the best sound was to put a smile on the slides of the equilizer, maxed out highs and lows with less on the mid ranges. Had over 200 vinyls. Sold the vinyls too cheap to a dealer in Ventura when we moved from Camarillo.

spectras only

Reaction score
Quality HiFi equipment wasn't cheap in the 70's. Buddy of mine had a McIntosh tube set bought from local Commercial electronic store and with Magneplanar https://magnepan.com/ speaker set. Magneplanar was new technology back then, crystal clear sound at any volume. Technician from CE came out to his house to set the speakers up for placement acoustically for best sound. It blew my friends' minds first time we listen to it. He traded it later for a souped up [ modified for the young crowd today:D ] Chevy Nova. That system did cost about 8K IIRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-2

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I was born in 1956 so whatever was around then. My dad never had radios in his cars but listened to classical at home which I hated (still do for most but some is okay).

As a teenager I bought a portable stereo/tape deck which was a predecessor to the boom boxes. We had two AM stations that played top 40 but there was a college nearby that had a radio station on FM. I started listening to that and got exposed to a whole new world of music. Everything from Traffic to Zappa to ELP to John Prine to Live At Filmore East / Allman Brothers, etc.

I then started buying albums and would play them on my dad's stereo when he wasn't home (he hated rock and wouldn't have let me touch his stereo even if he did like it). Right before I went away to college I bought a Pioneer receiver, turntable and speakers. I don't remember wattage but it was probably about 20 per channel.

Later on when I was stationed in Germany I bought a Sansui 7070 and SP-X8000 speakers, Technics turntable and tape deck and some other stuff.

As far as car stereos, started out with "Crapco" (Kraco) units with Jensen 6x9's on the rear package shelf. Eventually went with a Pioneer SuperTuner.

This is what I have now. Marantz 2275 along with the Technics turntable and tape deck that I got back in the '70s. Kept all my vinyl too. I have a set of vintage Infinity speakers but am looking for set of SP-X8000's. I have a little Bluetooth device that allows me to connect my phone to the systems so I can play my Pandora.

IMG_1874.JPG
IMG_1876.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Growing up I was a huge audiophile. Dad played Frankie Lane, Marty Robbins and many others on both the record player and the reel to reel. He built speakers himself using all sorts of math to get the size and volume of the cabinets "tuned". We even had a set in the garage because as an electrical engineer, Dad made an AB switch that allowed the impedance to balance. I wish I had the Marantz tube amp that powered the system!

For my 5th birthday I got a transistor radio with the earpiece. I don't recall the brand but it had the leather case/protector. I would sit in the middle of the front lawn in a 60's/70's lawn chair (you know the kind) and listen for hours. In retrospect I bet the neighbors who drove by thought I was retarded! 🤪

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was born in 1956 so whatever was around then. My dad never had radios in his cars but listened to classical at home which I hated (still do for most but some is okay).

As a teenager I bought a portable stereo/tape deck which was a predecessor to the boom boxes. We had two AM stations that played top 40 but there was a college nearby that had a radio station on FM. I started listening to that and got exposed to a whole new world of music. Everything from Traffic to Zappa to ELP to John Prine to Live At Filmore East / Allman Brothers, etc.

I then started buying albums and would play them on my dad's stereo when he wasn't home (he hated rock and wouldn't have let me touch his stereo even if he did like it). Right before I went away to college I bought a Pioneer receiver, turntable and speakers. I don't remember wattage but it was probably about 20 per channel.

Later on when I was stationed in Germany I bought a Sansui 7070 and SP-X8000 speakers, Technics turntable and tape deck and some other stuff.

As far as car stereos, started out with "Crapco" (Kraco) units with Jensen 6x9's on the rear package shelf. Eventually went with a Pioneer SuperTuner.

This is what I have now. Marantz 2275 along with the Technics turntable and tape deck that I got back in the '70s. Kept all my vinyl too. I have a set of vintage Infinity speakers but am looking for set of SP-X8000's. I have a little Bluetooth device that allows me to connect my phone to the systems so I can play my Pandora.

View attachment 1194690 View attachment 1194691 View attachment 1194692

I own that tape deck and vinyl player! Sweet receiver!!!

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Big speakers…most audio guys (usually due to their wives hating them) have a love/hate relationship with them LOL
I have my CV RE-30s I bought in 1996 as our front speakers up in the media room. Lol. My wife actually likes them now that there is space. My mom gave me money for collage and I quickly went to Best Buy (speakers) and Circuit City (receiver and CD player). $1200. A recently told Mom “see it was a good investment, I still have all of it!”

Travmon

Reaction score
Ah the 8 track days , remember how many times you would see 8 track ribbon on the side of the freeway , or the right combination of bent up pee-chee cardboard you would have to stuff in there as shim stock to get a aging 8 track or player to work. It was a glorious day when I threw the player and all the tapes off the steel bridge( a known very tall bridge in our party zone) and transitioned to a bad ass under dash super tuner cassette.