WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need a truck engine builder 3.5 eco boost

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Any engine builders who have re built a 3.5 ecobbost? Or anybody know someone who does? I’ve called 20 engine builders a nobody is re building the eco boost. Motor is in a 2011 F150. I would have the motor pulled and delivered. Located in so cal but would be willing to go to AZ or NV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Any engine builders who have re built a 3.5 ecobbost? Or anybody know someone who does? I’ve called 20 engine builders a nobody is re building the eco boost. Motor is in a 2011 F150. I would have the motor pulled and delivered. Located in so cal but would be willing to go to AZ or NV.

You might want to consider looking at a lower mileage take-out motor from a wrecked truck. Try LKQ auto dismantling in Santa Fe Springs. Gonna be way cheaper and probably better results than having yours rebuilt

Rbcconst

Reaction score
You might want to consider looking at a lower mileage take-out motor from a wrecked truck. Try LKQ auto dismantling in Santa Fe Springs. Gonna be way cheaper and probably better results than having yours rebuilt

I’ve found a few used motors but most of them have 70k miles on them and they still want 4K.

What makes them un reliable if there re built? I’m ok with the used motor but it seems like a lot of money to not have a motor with zero miles on it.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Any idea what is wrong with it?

Not exactly. It’s locked up though. Thought it was a head issue so they started there. Put on a new timing chain, did the head work. Drove it a bit and it locked up tighter then a nun. It’s a spare truck so I might sell it as Is and be done with it.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Try Jasper engines and transmission. Sounds like a core program would be perfect for your situation.

Or.... I'm thinking 6.2L Raptor motor!

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Time for an LS swap!!!

Lol stock vs stock that ecoboost out performs the LS all day every day. And I’m a Chevy guy.

Now if I wanted to dump money into making a sweet off road truck that LS would be ideal. My last sand car had a stroked LS that put around 470hp to the wheels.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Try Jasper engines and transmission. Sounds like a core program would be perfect for your situation.

Or.... I'm thinking 6.2L Raptor motor!

Called jaspers and they aren’t rebuilding them yet. Somebody mentioned asking if they had a used motor, I haven’t done that yet.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Outfront built some for some sandrails, there is a place in Phoenix that build them too, but they build for high performance.

Ladsm

Reaction score
The newer ford modular engines are kinda throw away. Had my daughters 4.0 V6 rebuilt and it has never run right.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Called jaspers and they aren’t rebuilding them yet. Somebody mentioned asking if they had a used motor, I haven’t done that yet.

If they aren’t rebuilding them yet, that means they are pretty reliable overall... just saying. :)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Lol stock vs stock that ecoboost out performs the LS all day every day. And I’m a Chevy guy.

Now if I wanted to dump money into making a sweet off road truck that LS would be ideal. My last sand car had a stroked LS that put around 470hp to the wheels.

My feeling as well.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Are those even rebuildable? The tolerance is in those are ridiculous. Like even temperature makes a difference. Have to be a pretty extensive shop.

Runs2rch

Reaction score

Addiction Motorsports in Simi. Eddie is probably building them.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I’ve found a few used motors but most of them have 70k miles on them and they still want 4K.

What makes them un reliable if there re built? I’m ok with the used motor but it seems like a lot of money to not have a motor with zero miles on it.

What would make them unreliable when rebuilt is that very few people have experience building them. Parts are probably super expensive, lots of Ford-only stuff and the motor as a whole has a lot going on, lots of components, twin turbos, cam phasers....etc etc

I’d either pony up for a new / reman Ford factory long block, or get a take out from LKQ with their 12 month warranty if the price was decent. If your only talking 2k price difference between a ford long block and a pull out, go new for sure

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

Put a twin turbo on an LS and then see how it goes....apples to apples

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What would make them unreliable when rebuilt is that very few people have experience building them. Parts are probably super expensive, lots of Ford-only stuff and the motor as a whole has a lot going on, lots of components, twin turbos, cam phasers....etc etc

I’d either pony up for a new / reman Ford factory long block, or get a take out from LKQ with their 12 month warranty if the price was decent. If your only talking 2k price difference between a ford long block and a pull out, go new for sure

Yep. Even the Mod motor stuff was that way. Stupidly expensive.

4x cams and everything to support that, and 2x the valves really adds up.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
And then cut the LS down to 3.5 liters.

I'm just saying everyone who is amazed at the 3.5 ecoboost's power needs to remember that its a turbocharged motor, it makes turbocharged power, but it comes with turbocharged complexity and cost. Same for diesel VS gas arguments......everyone loves their diesel till that 10k bill comes when it shits a CP4 out of warranty. Praying mine doesnt do that! I'll be wishing I had my gasser back, could buy 3 gas engine long blocks for the cost of repairing a CP4 explosion. I'm a fan of the ecoboost stuff, but I realize that it's going to be more prone to problems than your typical gasser.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Lol i understand it's not stock for stock.....hell you'd be beating that drum as of last month before you defected......

I still have 1 LS powered vehicle :)

The LS/LT is cheaper to fix than any modern Ford engine and will likely last longer... you’ll get no arguments from me there.

As a package in a truck, (besides the exhaust note when you put an exhaust on it) the 3.5 with the 10 speed is better. I’d wager it is still better even with mild mods to both trucks.. you’ll never quite get the low to midrange power with the 6.2 NA.

In a sports or muscle car it is a different discussion as well.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I always get a kick out of the "Lets level the playing field" by adding twin turbos to a 6.2 and then want to compare it to a 3.5 at almost half the displacement...... The LS is a good motor but the only comparable is stock to stock. Anything after that is just who tossed the best mods their preferred direction......

Wbinder

Reaction score

How many miles did you get out of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'm just saying everyone who is amazed at the 3.5 ecoboost's power needs to remember that its a turbocharged motor, it makes turbocharged power, but it comes with turbocharged complexity and cost. Same for diesel VS gas arguments......everyone loves their diesel till that 10k bill comes when it shits a CP4 out of warranty. Praying mine doesnt do that! I'll be wishing I had my gasser back, could buy 3 gas engine long blocks for the cost of repairing a CP4 explosion. I'm a fan of the ecoboost stuff, but I realize that it's going to be more prone to problems than your typical gasser.

I’m aware of what I got myself into :).

I’m going to be changing the oil every 5k in the truck. Honestly a 3.5 V6 with giant oil retaining heads and 2 turbos that only holds 6 quarts of oil makes me nervous from the start. I’m certainly not running it out as far as the computer tells me to.

In other news I got a case of Amazon Basics fully synthetic 5w30 motor oil for $24. :)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I still have 1 LS powered vehicle :)

The LS/LT is cheaper to fix than any modern Ford engine and will likely last longer... you’ll get no arguments from me there.

As a package in a truck, (besides the exhaust note when you put an exhaust on it) the 3.5 with the 10 speed is better. I’d wager it is still better even with mild mods to both trucks.. you’ll never quite get the low to midrange power with the 6.2 NA.

In a sports or muscle car it is a different discussion as well.
I know its a better truck setup for sure. Id just pray it hangs together out of warranty, or sell it before it does. Those things rival diesels in complexity and repair cost. I pray every time I start the dually :), and i'm not the religious type

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I’m aware of what I got myself into :).

I’m going to be changing the oil every 5k in the truck. Honestly a 3.5 V6 with giant oil retaining heads and 2 turbos that only holds 6 quarts of oil makes me nervous from the start. I’m certainly not running it out as far as the computer tells me to.

In other news I got a case of Amazon Basics fully synthetic 5w30 motor oil for $24. :)
Amazon oil - noted :D

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
Oh I totally agree. We went from a LQ9 in an Express Van to an Ecoboost in a Transit. Absolutely no comparison. The transit will run circles around the Express and get better gas mileage. BUT, just before the factory warranty expired, I drove straight to the Ford stealership and bought their 8 year 100k mile zero deductible warrantee. I will not own this thing out of warranty. No way, not going to happen. I’ll sell it and most likely buy another.
You have to admit though, adding a couple hair dryers to an LS and comparing the two isn’t exactly apples to apples either.

Last edited:

Rbcconst

Reaction score
How many miles did you get out of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think 178K. But to be fair I leased it out to a friend of mines company and they did not change the oil as they should and I think that is what did it to that truck. I am a firm believer that in a turbo engine you don't push the oil changes, when it needs to be changed you get on it.

Rbcconst

Reaction score

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Stop with the rebranded Pick A Part already!! LoL

If you want salvage yard, call Walker400. Totally reputable place.

You can also try Mike at JMS Racing if you want it rebuilt, just don't be in a hurry. He is buried over there.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score

You can also try Mike at JMS Racing if you want it rebuilt, just don't be in a hurry. He is buried over there.

I've got over 50 motors from LKQ with zero issues, so I'll continue to recommend them. Always been solid and the price has been good. I deal with an inside sales guy over there, he locates motors for me and usually can ship them anywhere on the west coast for no added cost.

Also...warranty:
Walker400 - 90 day
LKQ - 12 month, 12,000 mile

Rbcconst

Reaction score

Lol I’m about to just take the whole truck to the salvage yard and wash my hands of it. With a running motor it’s probably only worth 11k. Not sure what someone would give for it with a blown motor.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Lol I’m about to just take the whole truck to the salvage yard and wash my hands of it. With a running motor it’s probably only worth 11k. Not sure what someone would give for it with a blown motor.

Looks like there is a bunch of the 2011-2012 motors online with ~75k for $3200 plus $250 ship. If you contact LKQ direct might be able to knock off the freight free and locate one for closer to $3000 as long as it's anywhere in Western US territory. Way better to sell the truck running that blown up, or just keep it once fixed.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've got over 50 motors from LKQ with zero issues, so I'll continue to recommend them. Always been solid and the price has been good. I deal with an inside sales guy over there, he locates motors for me and usually can ship them anywhere on the west coast for no added cost.

Also...warranty:
Walker400 - 90 day
LKQ - 12 month, 12,000 mile

Walker has been in business longer than you have been alive...

And not everyone buys the kind of quantity you do, so they won't get treated like you do!

But at least now I know why you pimp them. ;)

All Walkers stuff is low milage quality extracts. No extended warranty required.

Pick A Part will always be Pick A Part to me. :p

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Walker has been in business longer than you have been alive...

And not everyone buys the kind of quantity you do, so they won't get treated like you do!

But at least now I know why you pimp them. ;)

All Walkers stuff is low milage quality extracts. No extended warranty required.

Pick A Part will always be Pick A Part to me. :p

You act like I have a vested interest in LKQ, just passing along a solid resouce that i've used for 10 years to try and save OP some money. Wasn't comparing them to anyone else till you came in swinging the Walker400 stick around. Hell if I was the OP I’d check a bunch of places and go with the lowest price, best warranty and cleanest motor. Competition is health Joe this be AMERICA

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You act like I have a vested interest in LKQ, just passing along a solid resouce that i've used for 10 years to try and save OP some money. Wasn't comparing them to anyone else till you came in swinging the Walker400 stick

I know. :)

Cdog

Reaction score
Actually has done really well in comparison tests.

It's not mobil 1 or redline but for the price its pretty dang good compared to most.

A friend of mine who is in the oil blend business says it’s bottom of the barrel oil. Meets minimum standards.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Looks like there is a bunch of the 2011-2012 motors online with ~75k for $3200 plus $250 ship. If you contact LKQ direct might be able to knock off the freight free and locate one for closer to $3000 as long as it's anywhere in Western US territory. Way better to sell the truck running that blown up, or just keep it once fixed.

That seems like a fair deal. I’m gonna sell the truck either way.