WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Park Outside Your House Nightly ?

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
This may be common knowledge . . . which I often lack.
I read there's been some vehicle break-ins here in HB, ... typical.
But a few of them got their garages ripped off at the same time by using the garage door opener that was left inside the vehicle.
I hadn't thought about that one, duhhh, . . . now it's inside the house.
We don't have security cams & shit, but I try to not to be too stupid by leaving shit in my truck or the doors unlocked.

Just putting it out there in case anyone else hadn't thought about that angle.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Then this will make you feel safe.
Code capture devices aren’t expensive and when someone hits their garage remote button, the doohickey has that frequency and can duplicate it to open your garage after you pull away.
It helps if you have too much shit in your garage to park there anyway.
C10C3AC7-021D-4400-BD94-B156D77793B6.png

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
But a few of them got their garages ripped off at the same time by using the garage door opener that was left inside the vehicle.
We don't have security cams & shit, but I try to not to be too stupid by leaving shit in my truck or the doors unlocked.

I never thought about it. Good tip!

My truck does have an alarm though, and I think that little flashing red light will deter most thieves.

At least that's what I've been told by the LEO's...

Thieves Always go for the low hanging fruit. Cars with no alarms.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
My truck has the Homelink system and programmed to my two garage doors. This scenario has been on my mind for years. I’d have to revert back to a normal remote fob and remove from truck when I park in driveway.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

This happened on my street many years ago. Been bringing in the garage opener since then.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

Yep, and change your code every so often.

Another way the break into garages is the people that leave the release/safety rope on them. They will use a coat hanger and pull the rope through the door seal, pull the rope and can just lift the door at that point.

Remove the rope!

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
I put all my openers on one feed switch. At night I kill the feed from inside my house. Ropes gone, rope lever bracket trimmed smooth. Door tracks double bracketed and lagged down low at bumper level. I think garage door are the weakest link to home security.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I put all my openers on one feed switch. At night I kill the feed from inside my house. Ropes gone, rope lever bracket trimmed smooth. Door tracks double bracketed and lagged down low at bumper level. I think garage door are the weakest link to home security.
Yup.
And the most common entry point into the home, is the one that connects the garage to your dwelling…no one ever lock this door.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I never thought about it. Good tip!

My truck does have an alarm though, and I think that little flashing red light will deter most thieves.

At least that's what I've been told by the LEO's...

Thieves Always go for the low hanging fruit. Cars with no alarms.
My low cost alarm is my USB adapter with red led in the power port. With the window reflections I’ve had people comment at work, “ what’s with all the red lights in your truck?” Lol

Backlash

Reaction score
I knew a guy years ago, who laughed at car alarms and anti-theft devices. He was a pro. He basically told me he could defeat any and all electronic anti-theft devices in a matter of seconds. He said "If I want your car or truck, I'm going to get it."

He is a father of three young boys......last I heard, he was headed back to Chino for a lengthy vacation. I'd be surprised if his old lady waited around......

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I don’t park my shit out front anymore. Dogs will let us know if the garage door moves, or anyone out front.

We also have video everywhere, and a few good neighbors.

JL95

Reaction score
I think about the garage door opener thing every day and night. I have mine out of sight but still

just_floatin

Reaction score
I de- energize the garage door opener power when I am not home to alleviate the code break in. Most garage door opener companies know how to can hack your system with a rolling code device.

getch

Reaction score
I think about the clicker in the car thing often, but still leave them in there. I just figure I need to draw the line of worrying somewhere. I do try to keep the door to the house locked and de-energize the doors when i'm gone thou.

hman442

Reaction score
Off on a tangent here, but a local attorneys wife brought her 2020 Explorer in for service recently. She commented that the vehicle was recently stolen from their driveway. The heard the car start, and were able to track it through their "Ford" website. The police followed it, per the owners guidance, and the car was recovered within 20 minutes, but the thief ran away. The Explorer has the "push button" start, there was absolutely no damage to the car. I wonder what kind of doohicky the thief had to so quickly and easily defeat the Ford system ?

77charger

Reaction score
I park outside and when I lived in Fullerton I often left truck unlocked and keys in it.did so for years took about 15 or so before someone actually went into it. Did no damage just took change and a nice spyderco knife I had.

Worst part neighbors down street told me a couple weeks before someone went into their unlocked car and was one night I forgot to unlock it. Had 3500 in cash as we were used car shopping for son I went into truck to get it out night before forgot to lock it so glad I got the cash out.

Was one of those easy targets I guess from not locking it up.

Jay Dub

Reaction score

good point. My car and the wife's have homelink but the kids car has the old remote hanging on the visor. I will move it to the glovebox. Thank you

HBCraig

Reaction score

This and 1 more tip. Don't put your home address as "home" in your vehicle navigation. If some steals your rig they have your home address. Use a different address like a restaurant or something.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Hell they don't need to get in yore car to open the garage door. They can get in it in less that 15 seconds.
I cut my cord and zipped tied the lever up.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Yup.
And the most common entry point into the home, is the one that connects the garage to your dwelling…no one ever lock this door.
I started locking the door from the garage to the house, at night, about 10 years ago. I also lock that door, as well as the garage door (slide lock), when out of town. Nothing is perfect, but it helps a little.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
i dont have a power opener on my garage, it broke a while ago and havent got around to fixing it.

thats a good tip though, we do lock the door from the garage to the house though. that is a good tip.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Thank our POTUS for allowing the millions of illegals pouring across the border for an increase in crime, and Huningtn Beach is primo area for theft
Which POTUS...These crimes have been going on for YEARS!!!!;):cool:

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Our middle daughter and her husband have been living with us for the past few weeks. Their condo got flooded in the recent heavy rains because the drainage system is shit.

They both park in our drive way.

Both cars had rats eat ignition and or fuel injection wiring the first week. I removed engine covers the rats like to nest under, then cleaned engine compartments with simple green/water.

No "break ins" except by fkkg rats!

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
This and 1 more tip. Don't put your home address as "home" in your vehicle navigation. If some steals your rig they have your home address. Use a different address like a restaurant or something.

Along the same train of thought…
If you leave your car registration in your vehicle, take a sharpie and blackout your address 👍

NicPaus

Reaction score
Neighbor across the street got hit 2 weeks ago. Between 1-3 in the afternoon. They kicked in the back door and took everything. Crazy thing is there is a back house. Nobody was home at either. No other neighbors noticed anything. That property I have 2 German Shepherds in the yard. Garage is behind a locked gate with both of them. Garage door is unlocked. Not much in that house as it's waiting to be developed.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
🙄 The actual article states GM had already defeated this device back in 2015. I'm gonna take a Wild guess and figure everyone else has defeated it as well by now...

Screenshot_20230127_102449_Chrome.jpg

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Yep, and change your code every so often.

Another way the break into garages is the people that leave the release/safety rope on them. They will use a coat hanger and pull the rope through the door seal, pull the rope and can just lift the door at that point.

Remove the rope!
I’ve always brought the remotes in at night and turn off the power at the door switch inside the garage. I also have the outside code panel disabled.
I’ve never programmed the onboard vehicle switches.
I also zip tie the cord releases so they can not be pulled at all until the zip tie is cut.
At our old property in Anderson I had the 3 car shop.
Separate from the house and with all my boat stuff and engines inside it was a concern.
2 entry point alarm sensors and 4 window sensors.

Nordie

Reaction score
I don't have it at my current house, but my old house I had the gate opener and garage door opener on what looks like a key fob. #1 opened gate #2 opened garage. Seems like that would make more sense as generally most of us bring our keys inside.

I guess I could get rid of the opener in my truck period and use the app on my phone at my current house. That is one cool thing with having a wifi opener. I get an alert when the garage is opened or closed. If I'm in bed and it dings well I know there's definitely a problem.