WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Scout Motors revives classic American truck brand

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Love it. I grew up in one of those tin cans!!

I remember freezing my ass off in the back on the way to school.

Good times! 🤣

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I've got a '65 Scout 80 waiting for some attention. I love the simplicity and design lines of the half cab 80/800 Scouts. Scout II's don't do anything for me though. If they keep them simple, affordable, and utilitarian focused, I think they have a chance. It looks like they have decent lines. They need to just make a deal with jeep, produce a Scout like body and drop them on a jeep chassis. Make it easy to fit 37" tires and offer a Rubicon like package with lockers and 4:1 t-case. Like Toyota with the FJ Cruiser was a total miss from the heritage of the Land Cruiser model, I suspect these folks will miss the heritage of the Scout brand. I'd bet they end up making the SUV's more like the Bronco Sport and the "truck" more like the Maverick.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I had a 77’ Scout II. Loved that truck! 345, auto, AC and very reliable. I fully caged it and put it on 33’s. Great all around ride. Should have never sold it. Would pull the top in spring and keep it off till end of October. I like the outlines of the new concepts, but have to say, they look like the new Land Rover Defender ...a LOT.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
My first 4x4 was a '63 Scout I bought back in 1975. The thing was build like a tank and rode like one too! :oops::D
Mine in high school was a '63 as well, I had both the full and half cabs for it. Within a couple of years the only thing left IHC was the body, everything else was Ford (302, C4, 9" front and rear). That slantish 4 cyl just didn't have the numbers needed..

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Mine in high school was a '63 as well, I had both the full and half cabs for it. Within a couple of years the only thing left IHC was the body, everything else was Ford (302, C4, 9" front and rear). That slantish 4 cyl just didn't have the numbers needed..

That 4 banger had good torque though. It was basically half of their V8.

I'd love to build one now but as you did, everything new except for the body. Prices on them have gone the way of old Broncos now though.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Unfortunately, International at the time, had just about zero rust prevention / galvanizing on the body. Even trucks from AZ and NV have rust. Never seen a Scout without a lot of It.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I've got a '65 Scout 80 waiting for some attention. I love the simplicity and design lines of the half cab 80/800 Scouts. Scout II's don't do anything for me though. If they keep them simple, affordable, and utilitarian focused, I think they have a chance. It looks like they have decent lines. They need to just make a deal with jeep, produce a Scout like body and drop them on a jeep chassis. Make it easy to fit 37" tires and offer a Rubicon like package with lockers and 4:1 t-case. Like Toyota with the FJ Cruiser was a total miss from the heritage of the Land Cruiser model, I suspect these folks will miss the heritage of the Scout brand. I'd bet they end up making the SUV's more like the Bronco Sport and the "truck" more like the Maverick.
I think you’re 100% correct.
VW isn’t going to produce anything that’ll appeal to anyone wanting to mod it for off-road use.

Vamodsquad

Reaction score
My buddy used to have one of those old International Harvester Scout's. That thing was a Tank, but it was expensive to work on.
You couldn't even buy wiper blade refills for it at the auto parts store, you had to go to the I.H. Dealer !

bonesfab

Reaction score
We are doing one for a customer. Roadster Shop chassis, ls3, 4l60e, atlas transfer case. Should be pretty bitchen if he ever comes up with the money to finish it. And FYI, the chassis was not a bolt on.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
My first real job in 70's was a "lube man" at a Cad/Olds/IH dealer , Our shop vehicle was a scout with a 4 banger 4 speed , we tried to kill it but it just kept on running

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Tioga Pass Summer of 2001.

It had a 1979 345 V8 auto and even the AC worked. It needed restoration and I lived in a condo at the time with nowhere to work on it.

I moved it on for like $2500. They were nothing special in the late 90's

Regrets....I've had a few.

scout.jpg

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Scout was never owned by AMC (as far as I know). It was International Harvester.

My first 4x4 was a '63 Scout I bought back in 1975. The thing was build like a tank and rode like one too! :oops::D

These new ones will probably be $80K yuppiemobiles. :confused:

Right! I thought maybe they were sold through AMC dealer conglomerates since they used several AMC engines and transmissions.

Honestly I was not old enough when International closed all their dealers in the late 70's and early 80's to know who sold them...

Most vehicles are sold within a circle of brands, like Alfa, MG, Jag, Mercedes dealer etc....

Do any of you old timers know who sold them/with?

hman442

Reaction score
Right! I thought maybe they were sold through AMC dealer conglomerates since they used several AMC engines and transmissions.

Honestly I was not old enough when International closed all their dealers in the late 70's and early 80's to know who sold them...

Most vehicles are sold within a circle of brands, like Alfa, MG, Jag, Mercedes dealer etc....

Do any of you old timers know who sold them/with?
I might not be old timer enough, but I think that International was kind of on its own. I don't remember them being with any other brands in dealerships. I don't recall them using any of AMCs engines. The International V8s were huge, the 345 was the size of a 460 Ford, but probably heavier. They were not real powerful, and got worse then awful gas mileage. The engines were "industrial", for lack of a better term.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Sold through their own IH Dealer network.

IH, changed to Navistar, now its in German. IDK what its called so I'm going with NaviFarferdnugen.

For those that don't know they made all Ford's diesels used in the F-250, 350 up until Ford's own 6.7. including the 6.9 IDI, 7.3 that everyone wants, 6.0 (RUN Away) and the 6.4 (Run away faster).

Scout II's were a multi-company parts bin vehicle. GM electronics and steering columns using GM Style keys, Chrysler 727 transmissions if auto, Ford brakes and lug patterns on Dana axles and transfer cases. I had a Dana 18 Gear driven case but the 300 is the sought after Dana Transfer case. Powered by their own 304 or 345 V8's or a Nissan Inline 6 diesel. None of those engines made much power but you could always scour and old IH School Bus for engine parts. I flat towed that thing behind my Motorhome for years.

Last edited:

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

IH, changed to Navistar, now its in German. IDK what its called so I'm going with NaviFarferdnugen.

For those that don't know they made all Ford's diesels used in the F-250, 350 up until Ford's own 6.7. including the 6.9 IDI, 7.3 that everyone wants, 6.0 (RUN Away) and the 6.4 (Run away faster).

Scout II's were a multi-company parts bin vehicle. GM electronics and steering columns using GM Style keys, Chrysler 727 transmissions if auto, Ford brakes and lug patterns on Dana axles and transfer cases. I had a Dana 18 Gear driven case but the 300 is the sought after Dana Transfer case. Powered by their own 304 or 345 V8's or a Nissan Inline 6 diesel. None of those engines made much power but you could always scour and old IH School Bus for engine parts. I flat towed that thing behind my Motorhome for years.

^^this, and more...
They also had a 392. (172 hp & 288 lbft torque)
The 4 cyls were half of the 304 (no, not the AMC) @152 cubes
T-18 and T-19 4 spd manual trans'.
3 different 5 spd for the pickup trucks, even an overdrive 5 spd. (T-34)

Dan'l

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I seem to remember them being sold through the same dealer that sold farm implements. Might have been different in the city though.

old rigger

Reaction score
My first real job in 70's was a "lube man" at a Cad/Olds/IH dealer , Our shop vehicle was a scout with a 4 banger 4 speed , we tried to kill it but it just kept on running
Bought a '65 4X4 from my then girlfriends brother back in the mid 70s for 600 bucks. Half cab, 4 banger and basically stock except someone welded some channel bumpers to the frame. Bought it to leave at the river so we could drive any of our shitty cars there and still be able to launch the boat. It was a beast and like you,we couldn't kill it. Took a friend to the river once, lined up the boat at the ramp, hitch on the front bumper so we were nose first on the ramp. I thought I explained to him the shift pattern but I guess I failed. When he went to pull the trailer out he had it in first gear and he drowned the thing. Told him 'Do NOT take your foot off the brake'! His eyes were big as softballs and the water was half way up the windshield. Got a neighbor with a 4X4 Blazer to drag it out and we parked it on a vacant lot by the ramp where a house is now. This was in Marina View. I dug a hole, drained the oil, pulled the distributor cap off and went out in the boat. Got back, filled with oil, popped the cap back on and it fired right up. Had that Scout there for 25 years and that was the only time I changed the oil. haha

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
I might not be old timer enough, but I think that International was kind of on its own. I don't remember them being with any other brands in dealerships. I don't recall them using any of AMCs engines. The International V8s were huge, the 345 was the size of a 460 Ford, but probably heavier. They were not real powerful, and got worse then awful gas mileage. The engines were "industrial", for lack of a better term.

^^this, and more...
They also had a 392. (172 hp & 288 lbft torque)
The 4 cyls were half of the 304 (no, not the AMC) @152 cubes
T-18 and T-19 4 spd manual trans'.
3 different 5 spd for the pickup trucks, even an overdrive 5 spd. (T-34)

Dan'l
From the WIKI :

Engine produced by International Harvester:

• IH 4-152
  • IH 4-196
  • IH SV-266
  • IH SV-304 (This is not the same engine as the AMC 304 V8)
  • IH SV-345
Built by American Motors Corporation

Built by Nissan

International offered the Scout with a variety of engines over its years of production. The Scout 80 (1961–1965) had the gasoline-powered 152 four-cylinder as its standard engine. From 1965 to 1971 (Models 800, 800A, and 800B), engine options were the gasoline-powered 196 four-cylinder, AMC 232 six-cylinder, 266 V-8, and the 304 V-8. A turbocharged version of the 152 four-cylinder engine was offered from 1965 to 1967.[citation needed]

The Scout II (made between 1971 and 1980) had the following engine options: the 196 4-cylinder, 232 6-cylinder (early production), 258 6-cylinder (later production), 304 V-8, and 345 V-8. International never installed a 392 V-8 or an AMC V-8 into a Scout. At the time, International did not manufacture a diesel engine small enough to be used in the Scout, and so starting in 1976 used the Nissan SD33 diesel engine as an option. This engine was replaced by the SD33T turbo diesel engine in 1980. A very small amount of Scouts left the factory in 1979 with the Nissan SD33T turbo diesel engine.

I've worked on several over the years, was sure the 6's were AMC, I thought the 304's were as well, but obviously I was mistaken, they sure look similar however!

I've never seen a 345 in one, I read there was a Turbo 4 made too!

old rigger

Reaction score
From the WIKI :

• IH 4-152
  • IH 4-196
  • IH SV-266
  • IH SV-345

Built by Nissan

International offered the Scout with a variety of engines over its years of production. The Scout 80 (1961–1965) had the gasoline-powered 152 four-cylinder as its standard engine. From 1965 to 1971 (Models 800, 800A, and 800B), engine options were the gasoline-powered 196 four-cylinder, AMC 232 six-cylinder, 266 V-8, and the 304 V-8. A turbocharged version of the 152 four-cylinder engine was offered from 1965 to 1967.[citation needed]

The Scout II (made between 1971 and 1980) had the following engine options: the 196 4-cylinder, 232 6-cylinder (early production), 258 6-cylinder (later production), 304 V-8, and 345 V-8. International never installed a 392 V-8 or an AMC V-8 into a Scout. At the time, International did not manufacture a diesel engine small enough to be used in the Scout, and so starting in 1976 used the Nissan SD33 diesel engine as an option. This engine was replaced by the SD33T turbo diesel engine in 1980. A very small amount of Scouts left the factory in 1979 with the Nissan SD33T turbo diesel engine.

I've worked on several over the years, was sure the 6's were AMC, I thought the 304's were as well, but obviously I was mistaken, they sure look similar however!

I have an old Tex Smith book on engine swaps and there's a list off all V8s made to date at that time and I'm pretty sure, haven't looked in the book in a long time, the 304/345 were the heaviest ever made.

Engine in my old scout was the 152, looked like half a V8. Needed a dist. cap one time and couldn't find one for a 4 banger so I used a V8 cap which left 4 empty holes. I made up some little wires and ran them criss crossing each other. Told some of the guys at the boat shop it was a rare cross fire ignition made exclusively for Scouts. Of of the guys there who was a rigger and always full of shit had to chime in and tell everyone he remembered when that ignition was first introduced. hahaha

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Love it. I grew up in one of those tin cans!!

I remember freezing my ass off in the back on the way to school.

Good times! 🤣
And all this time I figured you for one of those “I walked 18 miles every day in my bare feet in the snow“ kind of guys. 🤣

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
And all this time I figured you for one of those “I walked 18 miles every day in my bare feet in the snow“ kind of guys. 🤣

Is there a difference?? Might as well got a ride to school in a deep freezer every day!

Jezuz that tin can was cold in the morning!!! 🤣

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
From the WIKI :

• IH 4-152
  • IH 4-196
  • IH SV-266
  • IH SV-345

Built by Nissan

I didn't know the I6 was made by AMC. You learned me one.

The 345 in my 79 had a Holly 2bbl carb and I dont think much was touched. As far as I know the 304 and the 345 same block.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Yes, I believe the 304 and 345 were the same block. 392 used a different block. I know people bust on them for weight. But these were industrial motors. Made to run all day long in trucks. They will run just about forever if taken care of. Also, max torque is at about 2000 rpm. nice for off roading .