WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Table Saw Electric Motor Shenanigans

Backlash

Reaction score
Good evening!

My Grandfather was an amazing and talented Man. I sure do miss him! He was from the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina and moved his family to Florida at a young age. He spent his entire life in construction and was a Mason, roofer, framer, electrician, plumber and a cabinet maker. He never had any days off, but when he had spare time, he enjoyed gardening, hunting and fishing. He had a workshop that many would be envious of. I spent many weekends cleaning up the evidence of his work....namely mountains of sawdust. When he passed away, many of his belongings were shared among his sons. I later inherited many of those tools, one being a trusty old Craftsman contractor saw.

Over the years, I've been cleaning this saw up, upgrading a few parts here and there. I've added a cast iron wing on one side for a router and router lift, and will be adding a second wing to the opposite side for a second router. The few things I've done have really made this saw a joy to use. With every upgrade or repair, I tell myself that my Grandpa would be proud.

20210730_103017.jpg

Over the last few weekends, I've been working on a new maple bathroom vanity for our house. I had a rhythm going and things were coming together nicely. As luck would have it, my table saw seized up mid-cut. I chalked it up to the super-dense maple I was using, and figured it may have been too much for this old saw. The 1 hp motor was hot and the blade wouldn't even turn. Well, it IS old and it's had a long productive life, so maybe it finally gave up the ghost.

I pulled the belt, the pulley and then the motor. I went over to my jointer and figured I'd try to finish things up using THAT motor. So I pulled the motor off my jointer and got everything switched over to the table saw. I reinstalled the pulley, the belt, then tightened everything down. It fired right up and I was back in business! 😉

There was only one problem. The jointer motor spins in the opposite direction as the table saw motor! 🤬

Well, I put everything up and walked away. LMAO!!

Friday morning, I found a small shop in L.A. that services electric motors. I found them using Google, and not by a personal recommendation. So I grabbed this seized up 40 year old motor and my wife and I headed over to L.A.

Abco Electric Motors, Inc.

We got there and I walked in to the rear parking lot carrying this burnt up motor. A young man rushed over towards me with outstretched arms. He greeted me and asked me if I had called ahead. I told him I hadn't, and he told me to give him a minute. He walked inside the shop and over towards a workbench. I called out to him and asked if I could watch what he was doing (I'm a nosey bastard!). He motioned for me to come over to watch. He began disassembling the ends of the motor and opened up the housing.

20220429_085137.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
I forgot to add a picture of the motor when I pulled it from the saw. 🤦‍♂️

20220423_185319.jpg

Now back to Abco.

There were a few men working around this large workbench in their workshop. There were numerous motors around the shop, ranging from small electric motors to giant refrigeration motors that were the size of a truck bed. They seem to cover all the bases. They even had a few large machines like a Bridgeport mill. Impressive to say the least.

So the gentleman working on my motor, popped the ends open, and began cleaning up the bearings and housings. Apparently the bearings in my motor are called "Sleeve bearings," not traditional bearings like on an axle. I told him the motor was out of an old table saw and he asked me how often I oiled the bearings. I must have had a dumbfounded look on my face because he looked up at me and laughed. He said "Yeah, you have to oil these once a year. That's what these little yellow plastic caps are for. Add oil and you'll be fine." The technician said there was so much debris inside the sleeve bearings, it caused them to seize up. So, he worked them free with some magical solvent, oiled everything up and reassembled the motor. He plugged it in and made certain it worked appropriately. The technician polished the shaft of the motor with a small piece of emery cloth and gave me a spare key for the pulley.

All in all, 20 minutes and $75. 🥳👍😁

20220429_100732.jpg

Backlash

Reaction score
Tomorrow, I'll put this motor back on the saw and get it dialed in. I'm happy it was able to be repaired/serviced and glad to know what maintenance it will require in the future.

20220429_100855.jpg

If anyone is in the L.A. area and you need service on an electric motor, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this shop. Give them a call! I was more than satisfied and will return to them in the future. Thank you Rick and crew!

Abco Electric Motors, Inc.
2743 N. San Fernando Rd.
L.A., CA. 90065
(323)224-9806
[email protected]

Backlash

Reaction score
That's what I said!!! Apparently three small drops of any motor oil is all that's needed. He said the sawdust absorbs any lubricant inside the sleeve bearings making a motor in this environment more prone to seizing up. Now I know. 👍

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I've run into my share of problems with the motor on my shot blaster...I used to just buy new ones, but I was impatient this time and took it apart. With a bit of help from the internet I learned how things worked (start switch, etc) and have repaired it twice. Once I had a stuck start switch and bad start cap, the next time I had a bearing fail. They're not rocket surgery once you get inside.

Can't tell from your picture if that's an aluminum or steel pulley on the motor...if it's aluminum, get a steel one. The aluminum ones don't live long when you're giving the saw a workout.

Backlash

Reaction score
I've run into my share of problems with the motor on my shot blaster...I used to just buy new ones, but I was impatient this time and took it apart. With a bit of help from the internet I learned how things worked (start switch, etc) and have repaired it twice. Once I had a stuck start switch and bad start cap, the next time I had a bearing fail. They're not rocket surgery once you get inside.

Can't tell from your picture if that's an aluminum or steel pulley on the motor...if it's aluminum, get a steel one. The aluminum ones don't live long when you're giving the saw a workout.
The pulleys on the saw motor and shaft for the blade are both new. Machined steel. Replacing those two items alone eliminated majority of the vibration and made the saw run so much smoother. 👍

TrollerDave

Reaction score
That's what I said!!! Apparently three small drops of any motor oil is all that's needed. He said the sawdust absorbs any lubricant inside the sleeve bearings making a motor in this environment more prone to seizing up. Now I know. 👍
These make it easier to get the oil in the hole. And try not to loose the yellow caps. 😁
1651427397727.jpeg

Backlash

Reaction score
I've been getting plenty of use out of this sucker! It's running like a champ and cuts like a dream! I'm almost finished with a maple vanity which has taken far too long to build. The end results should be pretty nice and much better quality than what I could have bought elsewhere.

I've been squirreling away random lumber over the last few years, and finally found a project where I could use some of it. It's old growth dimensional lumber that I removed from various places during our never-ending home remodel. It's been painted over, nailed, pulled apart and it absolutely shows some wear. So, today I thought I'd clean some of it up for this little project.

20220517_155330.jpg

After a few minutes of making a mess, I ended up with some rough-cut but beautiful pieces of wood.

20220517_152445.jpg

Pretty amazing considering this stuff is close to 100 years old. Check out the growth rings on the ends. 👍 Now it's time to clean up my mess and go pull some splinters. 😁 Have a great afternoon!

scottchbrite

Reaction score
I have a similar story. My neighbor called me and asked if I could look at his electric cement mixer that wouldnt run. He uses it to mix gardening soil for his vegetable garden. It’s a Canoga, so it’s worth fixing. He towed it over and I checked it out. The motor was seized up with………… 1000’s of dead pincher bugs! It works perfectly now. I’m actually borrowing it right now for some concrete work.