WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What do you welders think?

waterhorse

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a MIG welder and this Lincoln seems to be a pretty good bang for the buck. I have welded some but am far from expert. Also it seems that inverter welders are the way to go as opposed to transformer.
I would be using it for personal use automotive fabrication of brackets, motor mounts and maybe some sheet metal repair.
What do you guys that weld think?
http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Electric-Powermig-210-K3963-1/dp/B00OGW47Q6

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
That's a nice machine. I have a little Lincoln buzz box. Works pretty well

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Looks pretty nice. Haven't seen any of those before that will do all of the big 3 (MIG, TIG, and stick).

Backlash

Reaction score
That's a step up from the local 180HD you see at Homie Depot. If you're really not going to be fabbing up a ton of stuff though, just pick up a $600 mig machine (Lincoln or Miller) and use that. Spend your money on some other goodies. Just my .02.

I'm in the same boat and am hoping to pick up a new machine in the next six months. I've got some stuff I need to do but right now, I'm spending too much in too many different places! :D

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
That's a nice machine. We've almost switched entirely over to Invertec/Inverters. They are our most rented style welder.

They've revolutionized welding for the most part. We're pretty much using Invertec v350's for red iron seismic and structural and no issues with inspection.

That's a lot of welding capabilities in a box the average person can carry around the job site.

Icky

Reaction score
I like it, definitely a step up from the home depot model. Although I still run my Lincoln 155 220v I've had for 15 years or so that I got at home depot.
A friend of mine brought the Miller equivalent a few years back and was having trouble with aluminum, it was just rolling off. Told him to switch over to 220 and call me back, sure enough he needed the extra power. The tig should work fine on 110v , we run our little tigs on 110 all the time, need to run a thicker extension cord and a 30amp breaker for anything heavy, otherwise you'll be tripping it all the time.

Arc welding on 110v is a little tricky, 3/32 rod works best. So basically if you can hook it up to 220 you'll be better off:thumbup:

At home I mostly use this 1448410737634-260968355.jpg

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
The big thing is make sure you get one that is powerful enough to weld what you want. 220v is the way to go, that way you can weld just about anything.

I gauge it by how thick the material is you would like to be able to weld? If you want to weld say on your boat trailer or car frame you will need some juice.

waterhorse

Reaction score
It will weld up to 3/8" steel per the specs and I doubt I would need to weld thicker than 1/4". A little concerned about a multi function machine that is able to do MIG, TIG and stick but the reviews are pretty good. Appears that these inverter machines are reliable as the transformer machines, yes??

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
Bought a Miller 211 DC machine and it is the best I've ever owned . Compact with enough power to weld whatever I need to do . It was $1000, and free shipping from Florida .

I don't like 'add on packages' to basic welders . One machine WON'T do everything great, only a few things good .

Had a Hobart square wave and now own a Miller 330 TIG, and it won't do everything, it does TIG on DC and AC just fine . (don't use the stick) It's a big ol' box on wheels, but I can weld aluminum trailers, engine blocks, cylinder heads, and all the way down to 5052 aluminum .063" for air scoops, and thin stainless for tailpipes .

Having used a couple of 'piggy backed' welding set ups on location for the studios, I'd NEVER buy one for my own use . Buy a MIG, stick for quick welding . Buy a TIG for precise welding . Buy a bucket of epoxy if you don't weld .

JRider

Reaction score
Nice machine but I prefer miller. They have about the same dual voltage machine. Really, I would go with who has a supplier near you.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
It will weld up to 3/8" steel per the specs and I doubt I would need to weld thicker than 1/4". A little concerned about a multi function machine that is able to do MIG, TIG and stick but the reviews are pretty good. Appears that these inverter machines are reliable as the transformer machines, yes??

YES, it's the 'power source' but you still need 'adaptor machines' to actually do TIG in DC or TIG in AC, so you don't SAVE MONEY, TIME, or AGGRAVATION, getting it all set up to do 'a little welding' .

NONE of these compact machines will weld in all disciplines without 'add ones' and 'problems' . Just buy it for what it really is, a MIG or stick DC machine, that's all ......

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Fitter/Welder....
I personally prefer Miller.
Welding machines are like boats. You end up always wishing you spent a little more and got the bigger one.......
Like many (myself) sooner or later somebody is gonna have a friend that needs something welded..... he's willing to PAY YOU!.....
OMG, side business!!!!
BUT, you need a bigger buzzbox...
JM2C here....

Jim

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Kind of taking the thread sideways from the MIG question, but i just ordered one of AHP's new AlphaTIG 200's for Dunsmore after his old Heli-arc TIG finally gave in. The machine is absolutely amazing for the money, inverter 150 amps on 110, 200 amps on 220, 10-200hz AC frequency control, 1/2-200hz pulser, comes with everything in the box, pedal, stinger, ground clamp, air-cooled #17 torch (obviously if you are doing major welding you will upgrade to a watercooled torch), gas regulator.

It was $720 delivered from amazon.

y6os1kO.jpg

I went over and welded with it after it showed up, the thing works just as good as a $3,500 miller 200dx. DC welding was great and the pulser worked flawlessly, which is no major feat, but normally on these cheaper welders the AC output isn't great compared to more expensive machines, this thing had a totally stable arc, the frequency control and balance worked just as good as a high end welder. Laid nice clean beads on aluminum no problem. :thumbup: The only thing it lacks is wave shape control, it's only square wave on AC, a high end Miller Dynasty gives you the option to do simulated sine wave (like an old transformer machine) and triangular wave (for thinner materials), but those are really luxuries that you don't need 99% of the time unless you are doing production work.

I think i'm gonna pick another one up just for the hell of it. My TIG machine is an old Syncrowave 300 without the pulser, fucking thing probably weights 500 pounds, no joke, it's the size of a refrigerator, it's a bitch to move around the shop. It works great when you need some big power, but 99% of the time i'm running between 90 and 180 amps. In fact the only time i've had the machine above 250amps is just over this last month welding up 1/8" pure copper plate, running close to 300amps on 75% helium.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The dual voltage makes it really portable.
A BFD if you just use the feature just once.

We've run them off a honda generator in the middle of the dunes saving a guys ass.

Perfect home owner / Off roader unit.

yz450mm

Reaction score
uploadfromtaptalk1448478695547.jpg
If you like welding with different processes, do yourself a favor and spend the money for process specific machines. The all in one machines are nice, but you will find yourself wanting better equipment in the future if you spend a decent amount of time welding.

Millermatic 211 for mig is a great choice.

Bob Bitchen

Reaction score
Check out Welding Supplies from IOC.
I just bought a Miller 211 with Spolmate 150, cart and cover for $1,695, normally $2,095. No tax and free shipping and a $400 mail in rebate from Miller. $1,295 total net price.

Reaction score
For a small mig I like my Miller 211. Has a decent amount of power for its size and not too costly. For more power I have a miller 350p. Pulse mig. It's great on regular mig but really temperamental on pulse (spray arc). For tig, I have a dynasty 350 inverter machine and couldn't be happier with it.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
For a small mig I like my Miller 211. Has a decent amount of power for its size and not too costly. For more power I have a miller 350p. Pulse mig. It's great on regular mig but really temperamental on pulse (spray arc). For tig, I have a dynasty 350 inverter machine and couldn't be happier with it.

I don't think there is a nicer machine on the market than the Dynasty 350, but for nearly 10 grand it oughta be :D :thumbup:

A couple of my shop neighbors have them, i just can't muster up the fingers to pen out that size check for a welder :p lol

waterhorse

Reaction score
Great info from guys that have some time behind a lens. Sound like I should just go with a MIG specific machine.:thumbup:

shan

Reaction score
I don't think there is a nicer machine on the market than the Dynasty 350, but for nearly 10 grand it oughta be :D :thumbup:

A couple of my shop neighbors have them, i just can't muster up the fingers to pen out that size check for a welder :p lol

Crazy money! They are nice, we have one at work, but I'll be keeping my SW 300. There has to be a ton of profit in them because the commodity cost is far smaller when compared to a transformer machine.

Reaction score

The price on the dynasty was really hard to talk myself into. But it's hopefully my last nice tig I'll need. And it's a pleasure to weld with every time. The 200 is much cheaper but I think you lack a lot of power for aluminum.

The 350p mig when set on pulse (not like trigger welding pulse, more like a spray arc) leaves little distortion and a weld that is really wet in and looks like a bead of caulking. More of a light production machine. Too bad it's so temperamental.

Reaction score
If it was for hobby welding, Miller made a million 210's migs and can be found used easily. Also, I at one time had an sp175 Lincoln and it was a decent 220v machine for garage stuff and small

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
The price on the dynasty was really hard to talk myself into. But it's hopefully my last nice tig I'll need. And it's a pleasure to weld with every time. The 200 is much cheaper but I think you lack a lot of power for aluminum.

The 350p mig when set on pulse (not like trigger welding pulse, more like a spray arc) leaves little distortion and a weld that is really wet in and looks like a bead of caulking. More of a light production machine. Too bad it's so temperamental.

Do you have a helium mixing setup? I just built one for this copper project i have been working on, since my machine is a 300 i've never had a problem with power for aluminum just because this thing is a brute, but this copper is something else, I just did some outdrive welding for the first time with the helium blend, should have done it long ago, cuts the amperage needed HUGELY, gets a puddle started faster, better heat concentration etc :thumbup:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 5

Reaction score
The 92/8 is argon co2 and a little position sensitive. I don't have a mixer. It would be nice. Haven't used helium but have heard basically what your saying. That copper "thing" is pretty cool. Looks like you had to do a lot of welding on it. Looks impressive and expensive....what is it?

spectracular

Reaction score
Kind of taking the thread sideways from the MIG question, but i just ordered one of AHP's new AlphaTIG 200's for Dunsmore after his old Heli-arc TIG finally gave in. The machine is absolutely amazing for the money, inverter 150 amps on 110, 200 amps on 220, 10-200hz AC frequency control, 1/2-200hz pulser, comes with everything in the box, pedal, stinger, ground clamp, air-cooled #17 torch (obviously if you are doing major welding you will upgrade to a watercooled torch), gas regulator.

It was $720 delivered from amazon.

y6os1kO.jpg

I went over and welded with it after it showed up, the thing works just as good as a $3,500 miller 200dx. DC welding was great and the pulser worked flawlessly, which is no major feat, but normally on these cheaper welders the AC output isn't great compared to more expensive machines, this thing had a totally stable arc, the frequency control and balance worked just as good as a high end welder. Laid nice clean beads on aluminum no problem. :thumbup: The only thing it lacks is wave shape control, it's only square wave on AC, a high end Miller Dynasty gives you the option to do simulated sine wave (like an old transformer machine) and triangular wave (for thinner materials), but those are really luxuries that you don't need 99% of the time unless you are doing production work.

I think i'm gonna pick another one up just for the hell of it. My TIG machine is an old Syncrowave 300 without the pulser, fucking thing probably weights 500 pounds, no joke, it's the size of a refrigerator, it's a bitch to move around the shop. It works great when you need some big power, but 99% of the time i'm running between 90 and 180 amps. In fact the only time i've had the machine above 250amps is just over this last month welding up 1/8" pure copper plate, running close to 300amps on 75% helium.

I've had my eye on that one too!

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
The 92/8 is argon co2 and a little position sensitive. I don't have a mixer. It would be nice. Haven't used helium but have heard basically what your saying. That copper "thing" is pretty cool. Looks like you had to do a lot of welding on it. Looks impressive and expensive....what is it?

It's a bar for a house here in Vegas.... yeah expensive sums it up Japanese Copper Plate :thumbup: takes HUUUUUUGGEEE power as it is such an incredible conductor of heat, 300 amps with straight argon wouldn't do it and it's only 1/8" thick. Probably about 100 feet of total welds, also had to make our own filler rod out of the same material to make sure there were no color variations

Reaction score
It's a bar for a house here in Vegas.... yeah expensive sums it up Japanese Copper Plate :thumbup: takes HUUUUUUGGEEE power as it is such an incredible conductor of heat, 300 amps with straight argon wouldn't do it and it's only 1/8" thick. Probably about 100 feet of total welds, also had to make our own filler rod out of the same material to make sure there were no color variations

Did you use the water jet to cut sq filler rod?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Did you use the water jet to cut sq filler rod?

Yes, 1/16" wide by the plate thickness 1/8". Dabs off nicely :thumbup: about 100 pieces 36" long to do the job

Reaction score
Yes, 1/16" wide by the plate thickness 1/8". Dabs off nicely :thumbup: about 100 pieces 36" long to do the job

You earned it!! Good job. That's a cool project to have under your belt and an understanding of welding copper

nowski

Reaction score
I haven't welded in years (gas, mig, tig, stick) but the key is similar to what you want in a woman "Good Penetration"...

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Hobby welder here. I run Millermatic 211 @ my shop. :thumbup:

Icky

Reaction score
What's your budget for purchasing a welder ? Along that price point of the one on Amazon? Do you want to be able to tig as well? Or just mig?

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Check out Welding Supplies from IOC.
I just bought a Miller 211 with Spolmate 150, cart and cover for $1,695, normally $2,095. No tax and free shipping and a $400 mail in rebate from Miller. $1,295 total net price.

Sweet deal! I jumped on it too.
10403305_10205927520014702_8842922622098913604_n.jpg

waterhorse

Reaction score
What's your budget for purchasing a welder ? Along that price point of the one on Amazon? Do you want to be able to tig as well? Or just mig?

I really just want a nice Mig machine that I wont outgrow in a year. I would like to learn Tig at a later date. Budget is $1k-$2k all setup and ready to weld. Leaning heavily toward the Miller 211 now.

Reaction score
I really just want a nice Mig machine that I wont outgrow in a year. I would like to learn Tig at a later date. Budget is $1k-$2k all setup and ready to weld. Leaning heavily toward the Miller 211 now.

I think you'll be happy with the 211. Good versatile machine. And not too big. Set it up with steel mix gas.

37 boat

Reaction score
Take a look at the Hobart 210 MVP...same welder as the Miller 211 (Hobart is made by Miller) with the exception of the auto set feature. I found mine on sale for $760.00 at a place online called Blaine's Farm and Fleet. It should be all you need for home use.