WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

California Cop Tickets Stock Hyundai Elantra N for Exhaust Noise

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Pardon, my ignorance, but what is the point of the raspy nasty sounding exhaust “mode”? Is there a noticeable performance enhancement? or is sounding like a lean popping shit box the new cool?
I think everyone likes to emulate a Maserati now. That car has a very unpleasant exhaust note like nails on a chalkboard.

Brokeboatin221

Reaction score
What’s with these idiot kids buying v6 or ecoboom “muscle” cars and cutting off the muffler and acting like it’s a nascar bouncing it off the rev limiter. I love seeing the black smoke on the bumper which are valvetrain/piston leavins stuck with burnt oil. Funny how they all drive like shit on the freeway cutting off cars like they can actually drive. Even the car scene is taking a dump.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Since exhaust noise is federally mandelated, I want to see CA take the Feds to court over this 🤣

The problem is, that MODE, is not legal on the street. The idiots at CARB could just make a new law saying no adjustable exhaust on an CA legal car. This is most likely what is going to happen. The greenies hate noise 😡

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I'll jump in... didn't read all posts.... gotta say living coastal with windows open at night has become a neighborhood complaint. Us fancy pants on beach hear the juiced up visitors burning out throughout our hood late at night getting their ya yas out. I was once a testosterone laden kid with loud cars so aint too big an issue for me... I was on a bike ride yesterday and spotted a deep black burnout mark couple blocks away and I recalled that sound from weekend ha. I went through a few clutches in highschool but was never able to leave that much rubber as this mark! Big horsepower being sold to the younsters today I guess. I see Laguna has a flashing sign at entrance of town regrding ticketing decibel noise.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I'll jump in... didn't read all posts.... gotta say living coastal with windows open at night has become a neighborhood complaint. Us fancy pants on beach hear the juiced up visitors burning out throughout our hood late at night getting their ya yas out. I was once a testosterone laden kid with loud cars so aint too big an issue for me... I was on a bike ride yesterday and spotted a deep black burnout mark couple blocks away and I recalled that sound from weekend ha. I went through a few clutches in highschool but was never able to leave that much rubber as this mark! Big horsepower being sold to the younsters today I guess. I see Laguna has a flashing sign at entrance of town regrding ticketing decibel noise.
Newport was big on tagging Harleys, but got popped for noise a couple times down there in cars. Even trying to be "quiet", they'd still light you up.

PokerRun388

Reaction score
Pardon, my ignorance, but what is the point of the raspy nasty sounding exhaust “mode”? Is there a noticeable performance enhancement? or is sounding like a lean popping shit box the new cool?

I don’t know why the manufacturers wanted the cars to crackle & pop in sport mode or N mode.. my coworker has one. My car will also do that & it bugs the shit out of me…. Because it’s very noticeable & can potentially get me pulled over if I’m not aware of my surroundings.

That said, it’s just part of what comes with these types of vehicles…. They have their niche market of buyers. And yes, the performance gain is very noticeable in ‘sport’ or ‘N’ modes…. The car really ‘wakes up’ and has more power.

In the video, the driver seemed to be on the younger side & the cop appeared to want to lecture him about that. The driver was nice & polite…. He even put his emergency flashers on, however the officer was just going to grill him on repair costs & the state ref & was in lecture mode right from the start. Who knows what got the cops attention because we rarely see that part of the video, however I just felt like it could’ve been handled in a more professional manner. It’s just my opinion.

77charger

Reaction score
Newport was big on tagging Harleys, but got popped for noise a couple times down there in cars. Even trying to be "quiet", they'd still light you up.
Been hard on any modified exhaust since the early 90s that I know of.
Use to cruise my gixxer there then with a yosh pipe. You learned to shut it off lazing a cop parked or just barely give it gas if one coming up on you. The strict cops would just pull you over if they saw an aftermarket pipe.

Luckily I was never stopped but known plenty who were

DBMX

Reaction score
My understanding is Laguna, Newport, and Huntington are all working together to go after loud vehicles. I like a loud car/motorcycle as much as the next guy, but the super loud cars and motorcycles on the rev limiter late at night is getting really old.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
I don’t know why the manufacturers wanted the cars to crackle & pop in sport mode or N mode.. my coworker has one. My car will also do that & it bugs the shit out of me…. Because it’s very noticeable & can potentially get me pulled over if I’m not aware of my surroundings.

That said, it’s just part of what comes with these types of vehicles…. They have their niche market of buyers. And yes, the performance gain is very noticeable in ‘sport’ or ‘N’ modes…. The car really ‘wakes up’ and has more power.

In the video, the driver seemed to be on the younger side & the cop appeared to want to lecture him about that. The driver was nice & polite…. He even put his emergency flashers on, however the officer was just going to grill him on repair costs & the state ref & was in lecture mode right from the start. Who knows what got the cops attention because we rarely see that part of the video, however I just felt like it could’ve been handled in a more professional manner. It’s just my opinion.
To be perfectly honest, I didn’t watch the whole video I could only take so much.🤣

I guess noise and exhaust tones are like music, everyone has different tastes.
I’m still deciding whether I like the sound of the flat plane crank V8 cars. Some are ok some sound like shit to me, maybe it depends on the mufflers. 🤷‍♂️

PlanB

Reaction score
My understanding is Laguna, Newport, and Huntington are all working together to go after loud vehicles. I like a loud car/motorcycle as much as the next guy, but the super loud cars and motorcycles on the rev limiter late at night is getting really old.
I am always careful riding through HB. They have been enforcing noise laws on MC's for as long as I can remember.

Mike K

Reaction score
I love the bad ass sound of a loud muscle car .
Hate the tinny weird shit sound of what’s coming outta cars now .
The strange part is … we all know the real sound of power … but todays drivers drive around with decals and the weirdest sounding bs exhaust I have ever heard.
No offense … but it’s usually low dollar dudes .

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
No update on the Hyundai and car owner - he went to the State Ref who failed the car. He went to Hyundai who said nothing. Went to the dealer that said it's factory stock. Reportedly trying to Lemon Law it but that likely won't work since it's not defective.

Talked about how screwed Californians are:
SB-1079 - sound activated enforcement devices (California)
CHP will work with 3 vendors to develop a system to automatically give violations to vehicles exceeding 95dB limit (like a speed camera)

AB 2496 regarding vehicles not meeting emissions requirements

dribble

Reaction score
No update on the Hyundai and car owner - he went to the State Ref who failed the car. He went to Hyundai who said nothing. Went to the dealer that said it's factory stock. Reportedly trying to Lemon Law it but that likely won't work since it's not defective.

Talked about how screwed Californians are:
SB-1079 - sound activated enforcement devices (California)
CHP will work with 3 vendors to develop a system to automatically give violations to vehicles exceeding 95dB limit (like a speed camera)

AB 2496 regarding vehicles not meeting emissions requirements
AB 2496 has nothing to do with emissions, just noise. The genesis of all of this is because of two things. Street racing and side shows. The assholes that are out doing that shit caused this. They can’t stop those, so they are casting a wide net over anyone who’s car fits the profile. Stop those two things and these draconian laws will not be so quickly written.

4Waters

Reaction score
AB 2496 has nothing to do with emissions, just noise. The genesis of all of this is because of two things. Street racing and side shows. The assholes that are out doing that shit caused this. They can’t stop those, so they are casting a wide net over anyone who’s car fits the profile. Stop those two things and these draconian laws will not be so quickly written.
So it's like gun laws, only affects the good guys

dribble

Reaction score
So it's like gun laws, only affects the good guys
Or at least it gets more good guys than bad guys. I know this is the case because a former co-worker at BAR did training for So Cal Police agencies in identifying non CARB approved modifications. Mainly on rice rocket street cars. This was done under the pretext of clean air but the real reason was to go after street racers.

530RL

Reaction score
i hate the cars that crackle n pop......people actually want that?
Sometimes.

FE0F6FD5-B850-49B5-95E1-4657D6804171.jpeg

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Big block Chevy's with Hookers to a 2 1/2 cross over dual exhaust, talking through a pair of Flowmasters is Grandfathered in as classical music (period)

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

The first 20 seconds
Big block Chevy's with Hookers to a 2 1/2 cross over dual exhaust, talking through a pair of Flowmasters is Grandfathered in as classical music (period)

Dan'l