WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Wasn’t a different speed. That was him. He won by default. Winning is winning. The saying if you ain’t first your last holds here as it was 2 entries. The other entry DNF the first stage. So all the this guy had to do was finish one lap on stage 2 to win.

His car damn near fell apart at the end.

I believe he only needed to start the 2nd race to win and did not even do 1 lap. They definitely timed out in the first race so they couldn't even beat the course themselves.

I wonder what JSpeed means? 🤷‍♂️

JeepSpeed class, it's one of the cheapest ways to go racing https://www.jeepspeed.com/

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I don't wanna say no names...

But some people should really learn how to post a link?

🤷‍♂️

NIKAL

Reaction score
Take a listen to Robby giving a car away to the Speed UTV Challenge winner. Robby shares other good news too.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Take a listen to Robby giving a car away to the Speed UTV Challenge winner. Robby shares other good news too.

Lemme get this straight...

He just gave a car away, when others that have deposits in and paid, are Stiil waiting for theirs?

Do I have this right?

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

Sounds like the Speed key is available now.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
You do and there’s still a giveaway car that isn’t accounted for from another event that nobody’s mentioned in awhile.

I don't even have the words to express how utterly fucked up that is.

Looks to me like he gave a key away.

You're not wrong. But it's still a huge insult.

I'm so glad I'm watching this shit show from the sidelines.

NIKAL

Reaction score
I don't even have the words to express how utterly fucked up that is.

You're not wrong. But it's still a huge insult.

I'm so glad I'm watching this shit show from the sidelines.
A) who’s to say they get the car today and not in 6months. B) The car they won would be one of the extra Bandits they produced that did not have a buyer & deposit attached. C) I thought they won the car they drove in the race?

Remember Speed only had 30-40 Bandit deposits, yet the minimum production run was 150 cars. So Speed built 150, 77 inch wide Bandits. All deposit holders got their Bandits, Speed put 20 or so aside for their own Racing like KOTH, Red Bull, and the Norra arrive & drive. The rest have been for sale that anyone could walk in and buy. So Speed is not giving cars away that knocks someone out of line. No one’s car is being given to someone else. Speed has customer cars that for whatever reason the deposit holder has backed out. Those cars are also for public sale that you can walk in and buy at full price.

You’re trying to find a reason to spin this like Speed is screwing the customer over.

NIKAL

Reaction score
You do and there’s still a giveaway car that isn’t accounted for from another event that nobody’s mentioned in awhile.
Here’s what I was told about that car, 6 plus months ago when I asked about it.

It was said the guy who won it will get his car, but because it was a raffle car, and not a deposit with an assigned deposit master#. It was put at the tail end of all pre ordered deposit El Diablos. I’m not sure of the total Diablos ordered by a certain time? But whatever that number (1500, 2000 etc..) once those cars are built & delivered, then the prize car would be built & delivered. I think Speed is on the second round of Diablos, which I think is 500 at a time?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
A) who’s to say they get the car today and not in 6months. B) The car they won would be one of the extra Bandits they produced that did not have a buyer & deposit attached. C) I thought they won the car they drove in the race?

Remember Speed only had 30-40 Bandit deposits, yet the minimum production run was 150 cars. So Speed built 150, 77 inch wide Bandits. All deposit holders got their Bandits, Speed put 20 or so aside for their own Racing like KOTH, Red Bull, and the Norra arrive & drive. The rest have been for sale that anyone could walk in and buy. So Speed is not giving cars away that knocks someone out of line. No one’s car is being given to someone else. Speed has customer cars that for whatever reason the deposit holder has backed out. Those cars are also for public sale that you can walk in and buy at full price.

You’re trying to find a reason to spin this like Speed is screwing the customer over.

My good friend has a 15k deposit paid, and is waiting for his car, and has been for YEARS.

What are your thoughts on that?

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
My good friend has a 15k deposit paid, and is waiting for his car, and has been for YEARS.

Your friend has a $1500 deposit, and then BOUGHT 13,500 worth of accessories. A little different than a 15K deposit.

We all waited years...........

This dude put up 77K on a gamble for a model of car nobody was buying, and he won.

I'm sure you friend could contact Speed an purchase a Bandit right now, without waiting.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Your friend has a $1500 deposit, and then BOUGHT 13,500 worth of accessories. A little different than a 15K deposit.

We all waited years...........

This dude put up 77K on a gamble for a model of car nobody was buying, and he won.

I'm sure you friend could contact Speed an purchase a Bandit right now, without waiting.

WTF?

He's still out 15k!!! 🤣

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Close to 3k.

You still seem to be missing the point.
Actually no, I'm not missing the point. I put a deposit down, much before you friend in the 3K range. I also BOUGHT accessories. I followed along while a new company built a new UTV from the ground up.

The BANDIT, which is what was raced, was a product that really didn't sell, in fact they had about 100 of them not sold.
Somebody put $77k on a gamble he could win, and win a car. He did it, and he won.
Your friend does not have a deposit on that model car, or he would have gotten it by now.
This does not affect your friends timeline one single bit.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Actually no, I'm not missing the point. I put a deposit down, much before you friend in the 3K range. I also BOUGHT accessories. I followed along while a new company built a new UTV from the ground up.

The BANDIT, which is what was raced, was a product that really didn't sell, in fact they had about 100 of them not sold.
Somebody put $77k on a gamble he could win, and win a car. He did it, and he won.
Your friend does not have a deposit on that model car, or he would have gotten it by now.
This does not affect your friends timeline one single bit.

You missed by a mile. But that's ok. No worries. 😊

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Here’s what I was told about that car, 6 plus months ago when I asked about it.

It was said the guy who won it will get his car, but because it was a raffle car, and not a deposit with an assigned deposit master#. It was put at the tail end of all pre ordered deposit El Diablos. I’m not sure of the total Diablos ordered by a certain time? But whatever that number (1500, 2000 etc..) once those cars are built & delivered, then the prize car would be built & delivered. I think Speed is on the second round of Diablos, which I think is 500 at a time?
Odd answer since they showed the car custom wrap and all.

NIKAL

Reaction score

$1500 or $3000 in deposit money depending on trim he purchased. It was his choice to spend another 12-13K in accessories. I’m in the same boat as far as deposit go and for just as long.

I’m guessing it’s bothering you more then your friend as he’s still waiting with the couple thousand other deposit holders.

So my thought is I have accepted the wait, if I don’t I either sell my deposit or call Speed and ask to get my money back. Either way it seems to bother allot of people with zero skin in the game. Why is that?

I don’t care that someone has waited 4 1/2 years for the cyber truck, or the people who waited years to get their Bronco. I’ve got a neighbor who’s having some custom hot rod built. I’ve seen renderings, he was on a two year waiting list before they would start, and I have no idea how many years the build will take? I don’t care, it’s not my deal!

So why do so many care about their buddy’s decision to by a Speed and how long it’s taking, or some strange dude on the forums decision to buy a Speed.

NIKAL

Reaction score
Odd answer since they showed the car custom wrap and all.
How is that an odd answer? The car they showed was a rendering with the special wrap. That car was not sitting in the shop. They had not built a single production car when they did the 9/11 raffle.

Again once all paid deposit holders get their car, the raffle winner will get his $100 car. That seems fair right? Would not want him to get his before the other deposit holders got theirs.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
How is that an odd answer? The car they showed was a rendering with the special wrap. That car was not sitting in the shop. They had not built a single production car when they did the 9/11 raffle.

Again once all paid deposit holders get their car, the raffle winner will get his $100 car. That seems fair right? Would not want him to get his before the other deposit holders got theirs.
Well hopefully the $100 went to the charity it was intended for. Years from now the guy that won should be happy and made whole.

Racedirt

Reaction score
Saw some guy win the pci radio 300 in a pretty stock Speed Utv on 35’s
Here it is at tech. Interesting they chose to run spares upright.
speed utv PCI300.jpg

NIKAL

Reaction score
Here it is at tech. Interesting they chose to run spares upright.
View attachment 1370432
Raised the center of gravity, plus the race was 20 mile loops, and the second race was 32 mile loops. No reason to carry two spares on a short loop race. But each persons got their own plan & strategy.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Raised the center of gravity, plus the race was 20 mile loops, and the second race was 32 mile loops. No reason to carry two spares on a short loop race. But each persons got their own plan & strategy.
All the extra weight on an already fat turd sure didn’t help

• Haha
Reactions: DWC

Racedirt

Reaction score
Yep. We stopped running a spare on these shorter loop races. They'd have been fine running 1 spare flat.

DLC

Reaction score
Thanks bud. It’s weird driving as the dash has been extended into what was once the front driver/passenger area so the front end is looong. With all the weight mounted low and driver/co-pilot sitting in the middle of the car it airs out really flat and predictable. The ELKO suspension works crazy good too.

We didn’t race the NORRA 1000 this year but will race their 500 series. Looking at doing some Legacy series and maybe King Of Hammers this year.
That’s the ideal situation

keep the weight neutral / Centered !

NIKAL

Reaction score
All the extra weight on an already fat turd sure didn’t help
Fat turd? They all have gained allot of weight, without accessories. Speed claims dry weight 2482. Polaris says the Pro R 4 seat “estimated dry weight” is about 2450. A guy on the RZR forum said his Troy Lee model was over 2500 lbs. Can Am has not released a 4 seater yet, but the Mav R 2 seater “Estimated weight” is 2150. I’m sure the 4 seat will gain 200 lbs easy. Not sure why they state estimated, unless it’s a liability thing?

I think the Speed will go on a diet by next year after all the plastics they have built up are used up. The bed is way heavy and Todd R felt they could shave 100 lbs off the car by lightening things like the bed thickness, the roof thickness, a few interior plastics. Then things like the hinges mounts on the chassis are oversized. They are built for a door with glass & window motors.

Last edited:

Albacore

Reaction score
Close to 3k.

You still seem to be missing the point.
I also was in the 3000 range now I’m in the early 1050-ish. I found a guy that wanted to push his back due to some life issues but still wants one so there are ways to get around it. Todd has let us trade spots, but no changes could be made to the accessories. He got what I had. I got what he had. we worked out a deal on the side for the difference of actual cost.

Fishd00d

Reaction score
Weight is not a bad thing for racing, especially in Baja. Matlock, Lambert, Myself all were running big heavy 4 seat Pro R and we all had some of the fastest times and Matlock and Lambert won almost every stage between them. People scared of weight all the time really don't race much or only race short sprint races.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Weight is not a bad thing for racing, especially in Baja. Matlock, Lambert, Myself all were running big heavy 4 seat Pro R and we all had some of the fastest times and Matlock and Lambert won almost every stage between them. People scared of weight all the time really don't race much or only race short sprint races.
Weight is ok if you have the horsepower to push it, speed doesn’t have the HP so therefore weight isn’t helping

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Weight is ok if you have the horsepower to push it, speed doesn’t have the HP so therefore weight isn’t helping

On Saturday weren’t you saying they’d never get carts etc.. they announced this weekend they have carts and are releasing the speed key

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

Weight isn’t as important in rally type racing like NORRA but does become a huge factor in SCORE type races.

Fuel mileage is a real thing.

For instance, I’ll run our spicy computer tune that eats up the fuel when we race NORRA but run the stock tune when we race SCORE.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
On Saturday weren’t you saying they’d never get carts etc.. they announced this weekend they have carts and are releasing the speed key
I’ll believe it when I see it… motors belts clutches aren’t holding up now. Wait till 300 hp occurs.

Also I wouldn’t trust speed at all. Still think they go BK

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I’ll believe it when I see it… motors belts clutches aren’t holding up now. Wait till 300 hp occurs.

Also I wouldn’t trust speed at all. Still think they go BK

There’s so many millions $$ of dollars riding on this program being a success I don’t see that happening. People don’t just walk away from that kind of money. That’s not how businesses work.

Now… if you said…

I predict the Speed organization gets purchased and the purchase agreement includes all patents and rights to the proprietary parts and then they call it an acquisition or partnership rather than a purchase I’d be more inclined to believe.

I still think they’re a long ways off from any of these things happening though.

sandshark1

Reaction score

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Now… if you said…

I predict the Speed organization gets purchased and the purchase agreement includes all patents and rights to the proprietary parts and then they call it an acquisition or partnership rather than a purchase I’d be more inclined to believe.

I still think they’re a long ways off from any of these things happening though.

1715119706473.png

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
There’s so many millions $$ of dollars riding on this program being a success I don’t see that happening. People don’t just walk away from that kind of money. That’s not how businesses work.

Now… if you said…

There is but if there isn’t a path to success then business fold. Not all great ideas become reality

NIKAL

Reaction score
There is but if there isn’t a path to success then business fold. Not all great ideas become reality
From all your posts, I get the impression that no matter what Speed does, you will question it or find fault with it? Is my assumption accurate?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
From all your posts, I get the impression that no matter what Speed does, you will question it or find fault with it? Is my assumption accurate?
Until they start acting like a legit company yes.

To me it’s still a garage shop. Until they show reliability/serviceability they will be scrutinized. Why do I need to say that they are awesome when they are not? Some of you think speed is the best and that is fine. I have a different opinion for various reasons.

@rivermobster gets it too. It’s been 15 months since cars were first released and they still can’t seem to figure it out. =scary

The model existed. It’s not like they had to reinvent the wheel here

Romans9

Reaction score

Hmmmmmm……..couldn’t the same thing be said about your posts in the Speed threads? It looks like no matter what you are willing to listen to the out right lies (delivery times) and the wishful thinking and are always giving Speed the benefit of any doubt what so ever?

This thread is pretty damn good if people take the time to read it. It would certainly help them have a better idea as to what to expect once they ordered and had one delivered. Its obvious when you read here who is telling things helpful and those who have an agenda either way.

My concern would be for the people who are looking to purchase one to use for family outings and do not understand that it is not like a Polaris or Canned Ham or the Honda or Kawasaki where they can expect to just go and not have any performance problems with all their factory accessories installed and IF they make a mistake and break there are many options for replacement parts.

As to this idea that there is to much money riding on the whole thing for it to fail, that’s delusional.
If the Chinese investors and factory see a negative ROI they will drop it like a smoked belt….
The Chinese are not into dick measuring, they are profit only, they have no concern for racing or ego.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

Its better for the consumer if they survive.

The industry needs alternatives besides Polaris & Canned Hams and the old antiquated radius arm technology.

Politics aside and, strictly from a consumer standpoint, I want Speed to survive.

I think they’re still cutting their teeth but are committed to improving their product and branding and have helped to support organizations like NORRA that trickles down to grassroots racers.

I wish them no ill will…

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Now… if you said…

I'm just gonna leave this here...

DeLorean_Motor_Company_logo.svg.png

Joker

Reaction score
This is the same guy that said the Ford Pinto would implode if rear ended. He's fairly reliable in my books. That's why I went with the AMC Pacer. He probably saved my life.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This is the same guy that said the Ford Pinto would implode if rear ended. He's fairly reliable in my books. That's why I went with the AMC Pacer. He probably saved my life.

At some point ya gotta ask.. what are ya really adding here, because screen name aside it isn’t comedy. 🤪🤪

NIKAL

Reaction score
Hmmmmmm……..couldn’t the same thing be said about your posts in the Speed threads? It looks like no matter what you are willing to listen to the out right lies (delivery times) and the wishful thinking and are always giving Speed the benefit of any doubt what so ever?

This thread is pretty damn good if people take the time to read it. It would certainly help them have a better idea as to what to expect once they ordered and had one delivered. Its obvious when you read here who is telling things helpful and those who have an agenda either way.

My concern would be for the people who are looking to purchase one to use for family outings and do not understand that it is not like a Polaris or Canned Ham or the Honda or Kawasaki where they can expect to just go and not have any performance problems with all their factory accessories installed and IF they make a mistake and break there are many options for replacement parts.

As to this idea that there is to much money riding on the whole thing for it to fail, that’s delusional.
If the Chinese investors and factory see a negative ROI they will drop it like a smoked belt….
The Chinese are not into dick measuring, they are profit only, they have no concern for racing or ego.
First off, I have been very open about my concerns or issues, but in a constructive way. We know there are issues, like the clutching. But we are also looking for solutions, not just complaining. Ive reached out to allot of aftermarket to see how they can help. Hollander is making some cool stuff, and there are a few more well known companies looking to make parts for the Speed. I also know Speed has stepped up and figured out each issue one by one as the come, and I support that vs point out the flaws in it or say they are going to go BK or fold and rip everyone off. One of my biggest issues and I’ve not hidden it at all is the lack of dealer support, and my concerns they are going a Tesla business model and keeping it inhouse. This could be a big factors for me.

So why are you concerned or give two shits for people who are looking at a Speed or any UTV. You have no skin in the game. I do agree the Speed is not your traditional UTV. I’ve said for a long time the Speed is like an Alumicraft with a UTV engine & transmission. And anyone had a buggy knows there is more maintenance involved. I do not think the current Speed is not generic and for the masses. As far as the other brands not having issues, they all have issues, and in 99% of the time it’s the aftermarket that has stepped up to fix those issues. Just like Can Am’s P Drive clutch. Or how about when Polaris released the Xp Pro and the clutches were blowing up! They issued a stop ride recall. Speaking of recalls, Polaris leads all manufacturers combined with recalls. Do you tel family’s to not buy a Polaris because of all the stop ride recalls and history with fires?

I hope we see more aftermarket with Speed, but that’s going to take time, as there needs to be allot of cars in the market to support the investment to make aftermarket parts. It might end up being more specialty shops that support the Speed vs the big brands that are out there supporting Polaris. I don’t see Speed ever making more than 12,000 cars a year at its peak.

I agree there is allot of money tied up in this venture, but I agree even the giants can fall. I do think before it would go belly up, there would be an acquisition or partnership, but I also know Robbys drive & dedication. Technically there already a partnership with their manufacturing partner. They are heavily invested to make sure this is successful, thus why they have employees here state side working in the cars, (you probably had no idea about that!) they have the ability to make changes almost overnight. If they were a pure contract manufacture they would not be that involved.