WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Driving into Canada - question

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We are driving to Banff this weekend and our daughter said we need a special insurance card. I called my insurance company (Geico) and they said all I needed was a hard copy of my insurance card. But I've seen on some websites that I need a "Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card."

So I called Geico again this morning and after a 5 minute wait while she went and asked someone, she said she would email it to me (my daughter said Traveler's had to mail her one). They sent my regular ID card that I already have.

Has anyone visited the Canatards recently (no offense @nameisbond, it's a term of endearment :cool: )? Have you needed this card? Should I call Geico again?

Last edited:

2Driver

Reaction score
My neighbor just drove up there last month and is still there. Ill text him

OK. he texted back saying he didn't do anything special. But that is just one person’s experience, not saying its right.

BabyRay

Reaction score
Being a Washington resident, with the border only about two hours away, I’ve driven into Canada, or taken my car by ferry, a number of times, but I’ve never heard of this. If your info is correct, I’m surprised they haven’t asked about it at the border.

I’ll be following to learn more.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Whatever it is that you 'may' need . . . i'd get it . . . price permitting.
I've driven through on my way to Alaska 3 times, but it's been a while.

Funny quick story . . . When my Sister & Brother in Law John moved up to Alaska right after college in the early 80's, they were towing a trailer with a little toyota pickup and all of their belongings . . . everything.
At the Canadian border they asked, "Do you have any firearms"? . . . My Brother in Law being a Preachers Son from Missoula Montana said, "Yes Sir, I have a pistol in the trailer".
My Sister said she punched him in the side right then, cause she knew what was going to happen next.
Sure enough, they pulled them over into secondary and made them take EVERYTHING off the trailer and out of the truck looking for that pistol . . . and they STILL never found it. (it was just a little .22 plinker).

She tells the story so funny . . . . I guess they were there for HOURS going through everything spread out all over the ground . . .
The Canadians were ready to send them back home, but my Sister pleaded, telling them that she had been hired as a nurse in Fairbanks, and that he had gotten a job as a teacher, an they were just passing through on their way.
I guess they made them sign a bunch of documents and eventually let them go through . . . but it was touch & go for while.

My Sister said she didn't say a word to John for almost 2 days afterwards !!!

😆 🤣

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Being a Washington resident, with the border only about two hours away, I’ve driven into Canada, or taken my car by ferry, a number of times, but I’ve never heard of this. If your info is correct, I’m surprised they haven’t asked about it at the border.

I’ll be following to learn more.

What kind of insurance do you have?

nameisbond

Reaction score
When I lived in Washington State and drove up all the time. I was pulled over and just gave my regular insurance card. Never herd of the inter provincial insurance deal. My Canadian proof of insurance does say valid in all US States. Assumed it was the same with US insurance and that has been my experience.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Just make sure you don't have a DUI. Heard numerous stories of friends traveling there and not allowed to enter. Or having to catch a flight home after landing.

Safe Travels.
This. My good friend got sent back to Denver from YVR for a DUI in college that was 10 years prior.

I worked in Vancouver BC for 5 years and travelled across the border probably over 50 times. Never once was asked to show any kind of vehicle insurance. I left in 2015, things may have changed. Banff is breathtaking, enjoy!

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Follow up question, I’m traveling with a couple of firearms, what happens if you declare them when crossing the border?

78DiMarco

Reaction score
Follow up question, I’m traveling with a couple of firearms, what happens if you declare them when crossing the border?
If they are hunting riffles, you may get away with it but no pistols. Last year I went to Canada I got the 3rd degree from the Canadian customs agent as I have Arizona plates. About the first thing she asked was "where are your guns" and I said at home in my safe. Then she said "what you didn't bring any guns to Canada? A lot of people do".... I said "I didn't think you can" she said YOU CAN'T as she was trying to trick me.... ;-) then she asked if I checks the laws and I said yes I did...... read up on the Canadian laws online as that's what I did and it saved me. I left my firearms at a buddies house in Washington and retrieved them when I came back to the good ol' USA!

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
If they are hunting riffles, you may get away with it but no pistols. Last year I went to Canada I got the 3rd degree from the Canadian customs agent as I have Arizona plates. About the first thing she asked was "where are your guns" and I said at home in my safe. Then she said "what you didn't bring any guns to Canada? A lot of people do".... I said "I didn't think you can" she said YOU CAN'T as she was trying to trick me.... ;-) then she asked if I checks the laws and I said yes I did...... read up on the Canadian laws online as that's what I did and it saved me. I left my firearms at a buddies house in Washington and retrieved them when I came back to the good ol' USA!

Noted. I will expect questions like that. We plan to go through the truck tonight with a fine-toothed comb and ensure no random magazines, bullets, or knives are in the truck. I checked and EPA-approved bear spray is allowed, which is good because we plan to hike and I don't want to buy or rent it up there when we have 3-4 cans here at home.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

https://www.temporaryresidentpermitcanada.com/guns.php

"There are three classes of guns in Canada:

Non-restricted firearms - most normal hunting rifles and shotguns fit into this category, and are allowed to be transported into Canada by an adult on a temporary basis for sporting or hunting use (including personal protection against wildlife in remote areas). Transporting firearms through Canada is not difficult if they fit this classification, as non-restricted guns can also be brought into the country by people who are driving through Canada to or from Alaska. Travelers who declare a non-restricted firearm, such as a US citizen going on a hunting trip with a shotgun, can sign an RCMP Non-Resident Firearms Declaration upon arrival at Canadian border.

Restricted firearms - most handguns fall into this category, but other weapons such as pepper spray and mace can also be included. A restricted firearm can be transported into Canada provided the individual has obtained in advance an Authorization to Transport (ATT) permit from a Provincial Chief Firearms Officer. A Firearms Declaration form must also be signed in front of a border officer. This declaration will act as a temporary registration and license certificate valid for 60 days, and can be renewed for free for as long as 12 months. Americans interested in bringing a restricted firearm into Canada can phone the Canadian Firearms Program at 1-800-731-4000 to request an application for an ATT. Update: Due to legislation introduced in October 2022 that prohibits the sale, purchase, or transfer of handguns within Canada, bringing a handgun across the Canadian border is likely no longer possible.

Prohibited firearms - assault-type weapons, fully automatic or converted automatic guns, and handguns with a barrel length of 4.1 inches or less are part of this category. Visitors to Canada are not allowed, under any circumstances, to import a prohibited firearm. Certain knives are also included in this category, including automatic knives such as "switchblades" and "butterfly knives" (it does not matter if they will be used for hunting or fishing).

This site looks helpful. https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.transportguns

"Declaring firearms involves filling out some paperwork, specifically Form 5589, the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration form. There is a $25 fee, payable in Canadian funds or with a credit card. The form is available at the border, or can be downloaded in advance from the Canadian Firearms Centre website (more details on that are offered at the end of the article). The form must be presented in triplicate and signed in front of a CBSA officer at the border (it is not possible to make photocopies at the border, so it will save time and effort to do some of the work in advance. Just be sure to wait until the border to sign in front of a customs officer)."

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Noted. I will expect questions like that. We plan to go through the truck tonight with a fine-toothed comb and ensure no random magazines, bullets, or knives are in the truck. I checked and EPA-approved bear spray is allowed, which is good because we plan to hike and I don't want to buy or rent it up there when we have 3-4 cans here at home.
Whats the over under we find something the Canadians will deem inappropriate? Treasure hunt time.

boatpi

Reaction score
Cooler

than Havasu.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
My Dad and I rode up to Alaska years ago on our MC's, we crossed into Canada through the Danville WA border. The border agents were total dicks. My Dad and I were very polite and respectful to them, they wouldn't have any of it. They must have asked us if we had any weapons with us 10 times then they asked where we were going and how are we getting there, we told them, they said that makes no sense. lol... We were told to go inside the office and wait.. They unloaded every bit of our luggage looking for weapons throwing all of our clothes on the ground. We had all our insurance paperwork ready, they never asked for it.. They think we are all bringing guns into Canada. When we were in Alaska there were two instances were some dudes wanted to fight us because we had CA plates on our bikes, no joke. That was a gnarly trip... Have fun

nameisbond

Reaction score
The border can be nuts on brining guns. They asked when I lived in the states and still sometimes ask even now. Rarely get hauled in on the Canadian side. The American side for some reason my passport is flagged. Guy wanted in Florida with the same name and birth year. Go in and it takes them about 20 minutes to clear my records.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
My Dad and I rode up to Alaska years ago on our MC's, we crossed into Canada through the Danville WA border. The border agents were total dicks. My Dad and I were very polite and respectful to them, they wouldn't have any of it. They must have asked us if we had any weapons with us 10 times then they asked where we were going and how are we getting there, we told them, they said that makes no sense. lol... We were told to go inside the office and wait.. They unloaded every bit of our luggage looking for weapons throwing all of our clothes on the ground. We had all our insurance paperwork ready, they never asked for it.. They think we are all bringing guns into Canada. When we were in Alaska there were two instances were some dudes wanted to fight us because we had CA plates on our bikes, no joke. That was a gnarly trip... Have fun
I have a couple plants I have to visit in the Toronto area from time to time. I find the Canadian Custom agents to lack any sense of humor what-so-ever. I mean come on why so sad? You guys don't like my questions about when you plan to overthrow your government and why you can't because you have no guns? I end up in secondary for some strange reason every time. Angie is in for a treat later this week, Bring bail money honey. :) Bajajajaa

boatpi

Reaction score
I can tell you where you’re going to is one of the most beautiful places if not the and all of North America I used to have a place in alberta called Canmore. I had a three-story home there one block off the bow river. It was insane. If you get to Canmore, want to stay the night there’s a great hotel. It’s only a few years old called the hotel Malcolm it’s reasonable.

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score

I'm certain of that. That's why we only vacation in Havasu in the winter! Been there, done that as a young person. Not interested in 110° heat anymore.

I can tell you where you’re going to is one of the most beautiful places if not the and all of North America I used to have a place in Lowetown called Canmore. If you get to Canmore, want to stay the night there’s a great hotel. It’s only a few years old called the hotel Malcolm it’s reasonable.

We are actually staying in a condo in Canmore. :) Looking forward to it.

boatpi

Reaction score
If you can make it get into Muretta‘s restaurant on Main Street in Canmore, the food is absolutely sick. They have game meat from Throp North America. Some of the Buffalo and bison is absolutely incredible. It’s one of the better places to eat and all of Alberta.

boatpi

Reaction score
If you can make it get into Muretta‘s restaurant on Main Street in Canmore, the food is absolutely sick. They have game meat from North America. Some of the Buffalo and bison is absolutely incredible. It’s one of the better places to eat and all of Alberta.

boatpi

Reaction score
This is a frozen waterfall going into Lake Louise so not only is that area beautiful in the summer. It’s just as beautiful in the winter. For your Rdp people that have not been up ,I highly recommend you grab a flight on WestJet or another airline nonstop to Calgary. It’s only one hour to Canmore keep in mind the US dollars worth about 30% more up there.

From Lake Louise the hotel on Lake Louise is the Fairmount, which is very short distance from Canmore. It’s only about an hour hour and a half drive and you can go to the Columbia ice Fields actually take a bus with 8 foot tall tires onto a glacier and drink the melting water. This is another lifetime bucket list. Think about it who’s been on a glacier the people you know much less drank the water.

I’ve been in many many countries and 41 states but in North America this part of Alberta province is it.
IMG_5020.jpeg

TonyFanelli

Reaction score
I can tell you where you’re going to is one of the most beautiful places if not the and all of North America I used to have a place in alberta called Canmore. I had a three-story home there one block off the bow river. It was insane. If you get to Canmore, want to stay the night there’s a great hotel. It’s only a few years old called the hotel Malcolm it’s reasonable.
Yea buddy, we fell in love with Canmore when we visited. The film Last of the Dogmen was filmed there

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
If you have a lot of tattoos and look scary, you might earn a strip search and they won’t let you in.🙄

Canuck 1

Midget Hater
Reaction score
Angie

You need a hard copy or a picture on your phone of a pink card/insurance card

Long guns are able to be brought in just do the paperwork before or at the border

Bear spray must say bear spray

Radar detectors are fine

Border dicks are just that

boatpi

Reaction score
There’s a couple of good micro breweries on Main Street in Canmore also but the old-school place that maybe has a little entertainment at night that goes back probably 70 years is the Drake hotel and bar on the corner.

Make sure you walk the trail along the bow river and go over the erector set bridge or rent a bicycle

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to seeing this part of the Northern Rockies. I hear it is stunning.

The count of contraband pulled from the depths of the truck. Three loaded magazines, 1 pepper spray. :) Good excuse to review the Gobags, I'm not sure what might be in there.

TonyFanelli

Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to seeing this part of the Northern Rockies. I hear it is stunning.

The count of contraband pulled from the depths of the truck. Three loaded magazines, 1 pepper spray. :) Good excuse to review the Gobags, I'm not sure what might be in there.
Make sure you get it all, they found an empty .22 box of ammo in my car, they pulled the door panels off after throwing everything out of it and going through the luggage...I left all my "hardware" at the parents house in Eureka.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Canada has lost it’s mine, no thanks.
While I don't agree with the politics of Canada, the country fascinates me. They are the second largest land mass in the world behind Russia and only have a population about the size of California. They have tons of natural resources, but they don't seem well equipped to process those raw materials into finish products in many cases.

I just find this country really interesting despite its ideology.

I do like to tease my Canadian friends that if I were King of the US, I would invade them and take their resources. :) It is not a popular statement to say the least.

zx14

The Skipper
Reaction score
Think there would be an issue with a simi auto shot gun?

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score

BC really is beautiful.. You guys are gonna love it. Enjoy, take lots of pics. Might want to get some bear spray for the trip, yeah you can take that over the border.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Angie

You need a hard copy or a picture on your phone of a pink card/insurance card

Long guns are able to be brought in just do the paperwork before or at the border

Bear spray must say bear spray

Radar detectors are fine

Border dicks are just that

Hey there, stranger! Thanks. We are not taking any firearms. That is way too much headache for me. Cleaning out my emergency bag, I found some pepper spray (not bear spray), so I'm very glad I cleaned it out completely. We always have two cans of bear spray in the truck, and I'm glad I did not have to take them out.

I appreciate the feedback and hope you're doing well.

No tattoos, no DUIs. Hopefully they allow us entry :D

nameisbond

Reaction score
I Googled and discovered radar detectors are now legal in Alberta. They used to be illegal in the rest of Canada outside of BC. Most of Alberta is policed by the RCMP. Most RCMP give 10km/hs over the speed limit before giving out tickets. Not all do it. But they are trained to give the extra 10 over. Comes from the days speedometers not as accurate. Judges used to toss tickets 10 over in Canada. So most police still give the extra. I drive mostly 10 over and have never had a speeding ticket in Canada. Ever!

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
BC really is beautiful.. You guys are gonna love it. Enjoy, take lots of pics. Might want to get some bear spray for the trip, yeah you can take that over the border.

Noted.

We carry bear spray everywhere. Not on our person unless hiking, but it's always in the truck. We never know when we'll decide to explore some less-travelled road and go for a walk around or do some fishing.

Thankfully, we've never had to use it. But we have both black and grizzlies in our neighborhood and in town. It ain't for the faint-hearted up here.

We are looking forward to the trip. We've been working in the yard and garden so much it kinda snuck up on us. I heard someone say, "It's more Montana than Montana," so I have to inspect for myself. Since not everyone is wearing a side-arm, I'm skeptical 🤣

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
My entire family (except for me) is Canadian. I've driven across the border dozens of times. You will be fine if you follow the rules. Make sure you know the KPH (speed limit). The provincial police are brutal. That part of the country in incredible. The exchange rate is good right now (other the gas) it's a great vacation value. Leave all of your sprays at home and buy what you need there. Toss everything when you head home. Watch out for the truckers. They give anyone a CDL and I think their trucking laws are not as strong as ours (Lots of fatigue accidents). Logging trucks always give me the pucker factor. Enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures.

boatpi

Reaction score
And booze is expensive too. Bring you own beer and tequila.
IMG_6432.png

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Last summer we crossed into Canada so that we could see Niagra Falls from the Canadian side. We were asked 2 or 3 questions about what we were carrying in the enclosed trailer, but we just waved through without any further inspection. The little bit of Canada that we drove through was gray, drab, and boring. People were not very friendly. Niagra Falls area was great. It is definitely a sight that everyone should see at some point in life.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Last summer we crossed into Canada so that we could see Niagra Falls from the Canadian side. We were asked 2 or 3 questions about what we were carrying in the enclosed trailer, but we just waved through without any further inspection. The little bit of Canada that we drove through was gray, drab, and boring. People were not very friendly. Niagra Falls area was great. It is definitely a sight that everyone should see at some point in life.

I agree. It is one of the most phenomenal experiences I've had.

As far as the border at Niagra, they know no one traveling through NY has a firearm 😜

Image 60.jpg

Image 61.jpg

Image 62.jpg

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Are you guys planning on going to Lake Louise or Lake Moraine? If so, I strongly recommend going early. Those areas get super crowded with tour buses and cars and you will have to wait in line to get up there and parking could be an issue if you go up there later. Just a thought

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We plan to hit Lake Louise after dinner on Saturday. Hopefully, the crowds will have cleared out by then. We don't anticipate having time for Moraine, so it will have to wait for another trip. The plan as of today is to check-in to the condo on Thursday afternoon. Thursday night and Friday morning explore Canmore. After lunch, hike in Canmore area. Saturday check-in for half-marathon and explore Banff, Lake Louise after Dinner. Sunday is the run, lunch reservations around 1 or 2, don't remember, at a Banff distillery that our son-in-law likes. Rest on Sunday afternoon/evening and then drive home Monday. The challenge is not to allow our daughter to plan a minute-by-minute and meal-by-meal itinerary. She's exhausting!!
😂

Last edited:

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
We plan to hit Lake Louise after dinner on Saturday. Hopefully, the crowds will have cleared out by then. We don't anticipate having time for Moraine, so it will have to wait for another trip. The plan as of today is to check-in to the condo on Thursday afternoon. Thursday night and Friday morning explore Camden. After lunch, hike in Camden area. Saturday check-in for half-marathon and explore Banff, Lake Louise after Dinner. Sunday is the run, lunch reservations around 1 or 2, don't remember, at a Banff distillery that our son-in-law likes. Rest on Sunday afternoon/evening and then drive home Monday. The challenge is not to allow our daughter to plan a minute-by-minute and meal-by-meal itinerary. She's exhausting!!
😂

Awesome, sounds like a great plan...